Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Darko posted:

They might work Tower of Joy in later on, to be fair.

I really don't understand why people don't read the books, though. I love reading, especially when in bed or on the toilet. Fantasy is easy to read - what's the problem there?

Not everyone is you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Liking the TV show is fine
Not wanting to read the books is fine
Posting about the TV show on the internet is fine

The problem is doing all three while being a loving baby about getting spoiled on dumb stuff when you could just as easily get off the loving internet.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

rypakal posted:

Not everyone is you.

This is why everyone who is not me is a loving loser :smug:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I was warned not to venture beyond Dune itself. I saw the amount of books and heard about a lot of resurrecting going on and just assumed that's the right way to go.

1-3 are pretty great, 4 is a major deviation from what made Dune Dune, but isn't bad. 5 and 6 are hot garbage because Frank was clearly slipping into dementia.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

IRQ posted:

1-3 are pretty great, 4 is a major deviation from what made Dune Dune, but isn't bad. 5 and 6 are hot garbage because Frank was clearly slipping into dementia.

All this has happened before and will happen again.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

IRQ posted:

1-3 are pretty great, 4 is a major deviation from what made the Dark Tower the Dark Tower, but isn't bad. 5, 6, and 7 are hot garbage because Steve was clearly hit by a van.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

IRQ posted:

1stGear posted:

All this has happened before and will happen again.

Oh snap, should we be glad GRRM has no son to poo poo on the franchise even more with even worse books?

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Plutonis posted:

Oh snap, should we be glad GRRM has no son to poo poo on the franchise even more with even worse books?

It turns out GRRM has a secret son, and he also wants to write "books" with Kevin J Anderson.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Support my Kickstarter to hire a Nicaraguan death squad to remove KJ Anderson from the literary landscape! It's for the good of all mankind and its licensed fiction.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Ty is a secret Gurm!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

I want to see George feeling his own shitdicked mortality and rush through two thousand pages of WoW and ADoS in a year.

Every living thing in Westeros burns then freezes until only a single heart tree sapling is left and as the camera zooms in on a single drop of dew glistening moistly on a verdant leaf we see reflected an image of Dany making GBS threads her guts out as Bran's nascent consciousness re-awakens.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Promise me, Kevin J. Anderson

The room smelled of blood and cheetos

Promise me

Kevin took the small package, wrapped in fresh linens, from GRRM's withered hand

Promise me

He pulled back the cloth covering and stared into it's face. He knew no one would understand, how could they?

Promise

I promise George. I promise.

He looked upon him one last time and exited the room with the unfinished teleplay of Wild Cards for the SyFy channel in hand.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

CherryCat posted:

I think I may have misread something somewhere, I could have sworn that ~Daario~ died in ADWD. I was convinced he was fired from a catapult or something. Then again I did power through the books so I'm probably misremembering.

There there, it's OK. I too have made mistakes, such as in my Cat hatred I envisioned her talking Ned into going to Kings Landing.

She still sucks.

Darko posted:

They might work Tower of Joy in later on, to be fair.

I really don't understand why people don't read the books, though. I love reading, especially when in bed or on the toilet. Fantasy is easy to read - what's the problem there?

I am currently reading this on my laptop, on my lap, on the toilet.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 5, 2013

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Much and more the words of leal subjects are wind, as useless as nipples on a breastplate. It is known.

What's your best grrmism?

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
The only proper place to read this thread and the ASOIAF books is on the toilet.

Bulletproof Tiger
Nov 2, 2010
So, I was in a bookstore today, and I saw that they apparently made a graphic novel based on ASoIaF. When I opened the book to flip through it, the first thing I saw was Drogo stripping Dany to rape her for the first time, so it obviously kept the GRRM spirit we know and love, but I'm trying to figure out who the gently caress a graphic novel is appealing to. People who hate words are just gonna watch the show, and the rest of us will just read the books and allow our imagination to fill in all the food/sex scenes. Is this bullshit series actually big enough now that they are just shoveling random poo poo out now and hoping that someone will buy it for no reason?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

They should have made it a Manga anyway.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

When did fat man say that Syrio definitely died and can't be Jaq'hen? I just thought it was a neat idea I don't think I'll cry about it if it turns out to not be true. I also wouldn 't put it past him to have honestyly forgotten since it was like fifty years ago when he wrote that book and he's got so many not-xmen comics to keep track of and look over and put his stamp of approval on, or whatever his involvement with wildcards is.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
How would I know whos a Targaryen if everyone has anime hair????

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Oberst posted:

How would I know whos a Targaryen if everyone has anime hair????
Because only the Targs have those tsundere purple eyes.

v If Craster had raised her properly, she'd know to hate those filthy literates bookfags.

Urdnot Fire fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 5, 2013

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Did anyone else think it was funny that Sam having read books knew a way to get through the wall (RIP Coldhands) and the illiterate child of incest considered him a mighty wizard for being able to decipher scratchings on paper?

Because I did.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Fog Tripper posted:

There there, it's OK. I too have made mistakes, such as in my Cat hatred I envisioned her talking Ned into going to Kings Landing.

She did talk him into it, after she got the letter from Luwin

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Urdnot Fire posted:

Because only the Targs have those tsundere purple eyes.

All Targs are yandere. Or reverse yandere.

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

syscall girl posted:

Did anyone else think it was funny that Sam having read books knew a way to get through the wall (RIP Coldhands) and the illiterate child of incest considered him a mighty wizard for being able to decipher scratchings on paper?

Because I did.

gently caress, I didn't realize that him knowing that would remove the need for Coldhands. God drat it, GURM D'n'D!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Oberst posted:

It's all worth reading just to get to God-Emperor of Dune and all its philosophical musings, but don't read after that
How much of Dune should I read?

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

elmer fud posted:

Only the first four books by the good Herbert. The other two by him are interesting if you like sex-slavers and silly superpowers.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

elmer fud posted:

I only really liked the first one and god emperor. Everything else was, well they were interesting, I'm not mad I read them, but only those two were "fantastic".

e: was this posted here? https://vine.co/v/b3XZMHmxzxh
Why did my sister send this to me and I didn't find out from the bad thread. I just don't know anymore.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1Z0Tv40RSs

Simply amazing.

UnholyCow
Oct 6, 2005

The camera moving with her is so perfect.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Plutonis posted:

They should have made it a Manga anyway.

Winter is Coming to Japan: Manga Game of Thrones book covers are glorious to behold

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

elmer fud posted:

God Emperor is the high point, but Heretics and Chapterhouse are loving nuts and worth reading for how crazy they are.

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.
So does anyone know what the gently caress happened to Benjen?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Azure_Horizon posted:

God Emperor is the high point, but Heretics and Chapterhouse are loving nuts and worth reading for how crazy they are.

And they end on a super weird cliff hanger that is completely insane. Disregard all "sequels" written by Brian Herbert and KJA. At first they claimed that Frank Herbert left reams and reams of writings and outlines for how he planned to finish the series, but eventually it came out that it was just some scribblings on a few sheets of paper and they banked on "Frank Herbert's Dune" on all their poo poo novels securing them success.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

blackshreds posted:

So does anyone know what the gently caress happened to Benjen?

Dead, body being used by a warg, serves Bran human flesh.

Or not. Who knows.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

pentyne posted:

And they end on a super weird cliff hanger that is completely insane. Disregard all "sequels" written by Brian Herbert and KJA. At first they claimed that Frank Herbert left reams and reams of writings and outlines for how he planned to finish the series, but eventually it came out that it was just some scribblings on a few sheets of paper and they banked on "Frank Herbert's Dune" on all their poo poo novels securing them success.

And poo poo like Paul of Dune, which is an interstitial novel absolutely nobody cares about and nobody ever wanted, based off some background text from Dune Messiah which never ever needed to be extrapolated into its own book. What a loving waste of paper to even print that poo poo on!

It's fun to poo poo on KJA, but this stuff is Brian's fault. gently caress that guy, he's single-handedly turned his father's brilliant, enduring legacy into something lovely and awkward to explain.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Not everyone can be a Christopher Tolkien.

edit: Just hit me. Jon getting Ceasered in the book and show Robb not having done the releasing Jon of his vow so he could be king thing... Does anyone think it may be possible that gurm suddenly changed his mind about where he was going to take Jon's character, deciding to kill him off to simplify things for the show's sake? :tinfoil: That would also explain the lack of tower of joy stuff in the show.

Maybe the white walkers will simply go home and no longer be a threat (as if they ever were to anyone south of the giant ice wall), to further streamline things.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 5, 2013

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The best swordfighter in the thing is Kyle.

Yeah, there's a reason you don't know who he is. No one survives to tell of his prowess :ssh:

Traveller, Anomandaris, Karsa, any Seguleh of any note, Whiskeyjack, Trull, Tool, Onrack, Icarium, Brys, Leoman, Lostara, Apsalara, Dancer, Topper, Laseen, loving Kiska, Temper, Braven Tooth, backward reeleth the mind, seriously, you wanna do this?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

elmer fud posted:

Dune is a great book to read on vacation in a tropical destination. I did that and had hosed up dreams every night.

The TV thread has a poster who cracks me up, escape artist. Dude will lash out if people say anything negative towards him. The dude who bought the spoiler avatars did their research because he kept posting even after he was told that his avatar had been changed.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

rejutka posted:

Traveller, Anomandaris, Karsa, any Seguleh of any note, Whiskeyjack, Trull, Tool, Onrack, Icarium, Brys, Leoman, Lostara, Apsalara, Dancer, Topper, Laseen, loving Kiska, Temper, Braven Tooth, backward reeleth the mind, seriously, you wanna do this?

You really wanna do this, my nigga?? You gonna come at the thread like this?! We Got to Clap Back!?!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

The best part about #redweddingtears is seeing the copious amounts of people that don't know what loving words are.