Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

:circlefap:What is an iPad?:circlefap:

The iPad (and iPad Mini) is Apple's 7(.85) and 10 inch tablets. There have been four generations of the 10 inch version (known as the iPad with Retina Display) and one generation of the iPad Mini. Both tablets run iOS (Current Max Version is 6.1.3).

"But why don't you believe the rumors? They've been right in the past?" -- WRONG. Rumors have been wrong until they are magically right. I can say that there's a new iPad coming out in the next month and if I'm loving wrong, :downswords: no one put handcuffs on me, I'll just say I was wrong its actually THIS month! In fact, most rumors sites don't even admit they were wrong about a rumor, they just go with the next rumor of the day!

iPad with Retina Display - It is widely accepted that the 5th generation iPad will be slimmer, weigh less, and look a whole loving lot like the iPad mini (except boast a 10 inch retina screen) -- It is rumored that the device will be launching in the next 0-6 months. I AM NOT A FORTUNE TELLER.
iPad Mini - The only rumor for this is that it may or may not have a retina display, and may not be launching until October.

:d:Key Features of the 4th Generation iPad with Retina Display:d:

Retina Display - Apple has somehow figured out how to jam four times as many pixels into the same screen. This creates a screen that makes text, images, colors look pretty loving incredible. This is a similar upgrade as the iPhone 3G/3GS to the iPhone 4/4S. The resolution on the Retina Display iPad is 2048x1536.
4G LTE (Costs $130 extra) - Available through AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint. These are not LTE exclusive, and can use carrier 3G/4G networks if LTE is unavailable.
A6X Chip - Apple's fastest mobile chip yet.
10 Hour Battery Life - The thing refuses to die unless you use it for like 3 days straight.
Lightning Connector - In addition to the iPhone 5 getting a lightning connector, so did the 4th generation iPad.

Previous Generation Features
iPad 3rd Generation (Max iOS Version: 6.1.3) - Was the first iPad with Retina Display. Considered half a fast as the 4th generation iPad.
iPad 2nd Generation (Max iOS Version: 6.1.3) - Was a complete redesign from the first generation iPad. Nearly half as thin, half the weight.
iPad 1st Generation (Max iOS Version: 5.1.1) - A completely revolutionary product. Browsing the web, doing anything reading was way better that any laptop, and any phone.

:d:Key Features of the iPad Mini:d:

It Weighs Like Nothing - Seriously, if you pick one of these up you wonder how an iPad could have been made so light. The thing can be held for hours in one hand without fatigue.
Runs everything on the iPad - All apps that are developed for the iPad Retina are also available for the iPad mini. It is very seamless.
4G LTE (Costs $130 extra) - Available through AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint. These are not LTE exclusive, and can use carrier 3G/4G networks if LTE is unavailable.
10 Hour Battery Life - The thing refuses to die unless you use it for like 3 days straight.
Built like an iPad 2 - On the internals, the entire device is built like an iPad 2. 1024x768 resolution display, same ram, same processor.

:d:iPad 4th Generation vs. iPad 2 vs. iPad Mini:d:
Why would you want to pick an iPad 2 over a gorgeous retina display iPad? Well, the price. You can pick up the 16 GB Models for $100 cheaper than it's retina counterpart (and probably refurbished models cheaper than that). This gives you the exact same experience except you lose out on the pretty screen, voice dictation (see above), LTE (although you still can get 3G (non HSPA+) networks) and the higher resolution camera. The experience in all other aspects of the iPad should remain constant. If you are seriously considering buying an iPad 2, you should seriously consider an iPad Mini. The mini weighs less, will be supported longer, and is a better tablet that actually costs less.

:d:Official Accessories:d:

Smart Cover for iPad with Retina Display - The smart cover is one of the coolest covers for this piece of beautiful technology. It snaps to the edges of the iPad via magnets, and will cover the entire front of the screen. There is a software option to allow the smart cover to lock the screen when you put the cover on, and unlock the screen when you lift the cover off. The cover can also fold around to support the iPad off the ground.

Smart Cover for iPad Mini

Smart Case for iPad with Retina Display - The smart case is a polyurethane (The same material the smart covers are made out of) case that covers the edges and back of your iPad. It also includes a smart cover within it (its all one piece). So this baby covers your front, back, and edges; so it provides superior protection. This will not, however, give you any better drop coverage (its not an otterbox). Its available in all the same colors as the smart cover (including Red) and has no Leather options.

Cases/Keyboards/Styluses Highly Recommended by Goons

Amazon Basic Stylus - Works Really Well.
Minisuit Bluetooth Keyboard for iPad Mini - One of the best case/keyboard combos I've used on the Mini. Holds up really well, keys nice, and its not terrible to type with.
Kensington KeyFolio for iPad with Retina - One of the top sellers for the 10 inch iPad. Always a solid choice, the keyboard can be removed and the case can be used as a stand.

:d:Warranty:d:

AppleCare+ - AppleCare+ Debuted with the iPhone 4S, as is now available for the iPad. You pay $99 up front, this covers your iPad for an additional 1 Year on top of the 1 Year you get from Apple without AC+. AppleCare+, however, will also grant you two "Accidental" replacements for $49 each. This means that if you drop your iPad and the screen shatters, or you drop it in your tub full of water, or you spike it to the floor volleyball style, you bring it in, fork over $49, and you get a "new" refurbished model (which are considered new).

SquareTrade - This is essentially AppleCare+, however is good for only one use (and terminates the warranty when you do use it to replace your iPad). Its not as easy as walking into an Apple Store to get it taken care of on the spot (however they do have options to do this).

Apps & Games
Games Thread
Apps Thread

Helpful UI Tips
  • Use two fingers to scroll a frame or text entry box within your Safari browser.
  • Hold down a finger on a link to open it in a new tab.
  • Hold down a finger on a picture to save it to your iPad
  • Hold down the power button and press the home button to take a screenshot.
  • In Safari press and hold till you get the magnifying glass to position a cursor on text.
  • In General Settings you can turn on "Multifinger Gestures" which allow you to close an app with a 4 finger pinch; 3 finger swipe up opens the fast app switch menu. 4 finger swipe left/right changes to the most recent/last recent app.

What to use this thread for?
  • Finding out the latest and greatest news and rumors for iPads.
  • Ask questions about accessories.
  • Store Availability
  • Questions about which model to use, and why you should buy one in the first place.
  • Other questions that are relevant to the iPad.

Link to the Previous iPad Megathread

FlashBangBob fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Looks great! Thanks for posting the new thread!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Galaxy on Fire 2 HD, I think.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Picked a Mini up recently and gave my 3 to family member.

This thing is all but perfect, only complaint I have is the screen. I'm 100% sold on the form factor though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It's ARC Squadron, I think. The game shown on the Mini, that is.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

I've asked this in the previous thread right before it was closed so I'll ask again...

What is a good clamshell case for the iPad 4?

I want something I can use on my lap (or on a pillow which is on my lap), and support the screen at a laptop-like viewing angle.

Somebody suggested the "New Trent Airbender" which looks nice...

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Vinlaen posted:

I've asked this in the previous thread right before it was closed so I'll ask again...

What is a good clamshell case for the iPad 4?

I want something I can use on my lap (or on a pillow which is on my lap), and support the screen at a laptop-like viewing angle.

Somebody suggested the "New Trent Airbender" which looks nice...
I know you said clamshell but IMO nothing beats a BeanPad for lap or bed use. It's way more stable and flexible in terms of angles and positions, and more comfy. They're like $50 on Amazon but you can get them as low as $20 if you keep an eye out.

Also their customer service is incredible -- they replaced 2 for free that we broke.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Op is great but just FYI Sprint sells LTE iPads too.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Biodome posted:

Op is great but just FYI Sprint sells LTE iPads too.

I'll add it, thanks.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Some other little things:
You can split and unsplit the keyboard with a horizontal pinch gesture on it, or slide up with the bottom right key. And another comparison point between the big and mini iPad, it's a lot easier to touch type on the big one due to the extra size. Meanwhile thumb typing much more manageable on the mini vs the big one due to the smaller size and lighter weight.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

japtor posted:

Some other little things:
You can split and unsplit the keyboard with a horizontal pinch gesture on it, or slide up with the bottom right key.

Holy poo poo you just blew my mind.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Thread title should clarify that this info is only a rumor.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Pricing image is missing the 128GB option. The one I need to start saving for now if the new iPad is July!

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

El Hefe posted:

Holy poo poo you just blew my mind.

Hold down your e key

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Hold down your e key

This I knew though :)

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It's ARC Squadron, I think. The game shown on the Mini, that is.

It's not. I'm very curious as to what game it is as well!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Wow, looked like ARC Squadron to me, too!

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

fordan posted:

Pricing image is missing the 128GB option. The one I need to start saving for now if the new iPad is July!

People actually buy these?! Might as well get an 11" Air...

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
If we're talking about mind-blowing gesture shortcuts, I only discovered the four-finger swipe gesture last week :aaaaa:

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Lexicon posted:

People actually buy these?! Might as well get an 11" Air...
I'm trying to decide between using my iPad 4 or selling it and buying a Macbook Air... Difficult choice since both are very awesome machines. (I only use both from the couch though)

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

webmeister posted:

If we're talking about mind-blowing gesture shortcuts, I only discovered the four-finger swipe gesture last week :aaaaa:
What about the four-finger pinch to go back to the springboard? Or the swipe-up to bring up the taskbar?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
How about volume up/down to take a picture when in camera mode?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

How about volume up/down to take a picture when in camera mode?

I find that that vibrates the camera more than using the on-screen button does. It can make a big difference with the phone's tiny aperture even in bright lighting.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

withak posted:

I find that that vibrates the camera more than using the on-screen button does. It can make a big difference with the phone's tiny aperture even in bright lighting.

Really? I'm in the opposite camp.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Really? I'm in the opposite camp.

The trick is that the on-screen button fires when you release it, not when you touch it. So tap and hold for a split second, then release for the steadiest photo.

edit: Just noticed that I'm in the iPad thread. I assume it works the same way as the phone but I don't think I've ever actually taken a picture with an iPad.

withak fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 5, 2013

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

withak posted:

edit: Just noticed that I'm in the iPad thread. I assume it works the same way as the phone but I don't think I've ever actually taken a picture with an iPad.

Haha, me neither. I've always wondered why they don't put the better camera on the front. Skype/FaceTime is the only thing me and all my family use iPad cameras for.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

101 posted:

Haha, me neither. I've always wondered why they don't put the better camera on the front. Skype/FaceTime is the only thing me and all my family use iPad cameras for.

I've only used my iPad's rear facing camera to take photos of my phone which is my actual camera. The front facing one gets a lot of use through Photo Booth.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Vinlaen posted:

I'm trying to decide between using my iPad 4 or selling it and buying a Macbook Air... Difficult choice since both are very awesome machines. (I only use both from the couch though)
I'm thinking of going iPad mini and MBA 11" at some point. Since getting the mini my old big iPad hasn't been getting as much use. It's better for typing...but I figure a MBA would be even better and be more flexible (there are times I'd really like a desktop OS vs iOS workarounds or remoting into my computer).

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

japtor posted:

I'm thinking of going iPad mini and MBA 11" at some point. Since getting the mini my old big iPad hasn't been getting as much use. It's better for typing...but I figure a MBA would be even better and be more flexible (there are times I'd really like a desktop OS vs iOS workarounds or remoting into my computer).

This is my setup (soon to be joined by a well-specced Mac Mini) and I can confirm its awesomeness.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

I'm happy with my 32gb iPad 4 for my mobile computing stuff- I've got a good keyboard case for typing (recently wrote a 10-page report for work on a bus and a good suite of apps for productivity and entertainment. I'm probably going to ditch my early 2010 MBP and build myself a good Hackintosh this summer for everything else.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
Tweets last week were mentioning production for iPad Retina 5 was going to start next month.

Today's rumor is that iPad 5 will be announced on Monday.

:psyduck:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Tim Cook himself said to not put too much weight into production and supplier rumors :v:

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Will be following this thread closely. I cannot wait to upgrade this iPad 3. Who knows why it's burning at me so much, just feels like its time. I know with Apple, you shouldn't let what is coming next influence your upgrade plans, because something is always coming next, but it feels to me that something new is coming soon enough now waiting is the best option.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
They're all just wishes. Apple went through a lot of effort to move all of their iOS device launches to September/October, including launching a new iPad 6 months after the previous one.

I don't see why they'd launch any in June this year.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

DarkJC posted:

They're all just wishes. Apple went through a lot of effort to move all of their iOS device launches to September/October, including launching a new iPad 6 months after the previous one.

The dumbest news item I saw was that a case-maker is going to start selling iPad 5 cases starting next week. Like, there's a picture of the case and everything. They started producing them.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

JazzFlight posted:

The dumbest news item I saw was that a case-maker is going to start selling iPad 5 cases starting next week. Like, there's a picture of the case and everything. They started producing them.

There were thousands of cases for the rumored teardrop iphone that never came out.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Don Lapre posted:

There were thousands of cases for the rumored teardrop iphone that never came out.
Do they just dump that poo poo in a landfill or what?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

JazzFlight posted:

Do they just dump that poo poo in a landfill or what?

Yeah, probably write it off on their taxes too. There's a lot of incentive to produce speculative cases, if you get it right and your the only one in stores on launch day you can print money.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

DarkJC posted:

Just to spread production and launches out basically, like outside of a MBPR bump earlier this year there hasn't been anything since the launches to everything mid-late last year...but I'm guessing people expecting an iPad launch are forgetting about the probable Mac launches soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
What a waste of resources. That should be illegal.