Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Lupus Rufus posted:

IN reply to whether Dean will remember being a clone, I don't see why he wouldn't. It would cheapen the Halloween episode significantly if he forgot it, and I don't think Doc and Jackson would do that. It seems like it would just wipe their memory of everything that just happened and they might all think it was just a dream or hallucination that they became a mutant super race for the past few months.

Also, when I rewatched the Halloween episode, it suddenly made sense why Doc was so adamant that Dermott use the doorbell instead of wandering in. Though it does make him more of an rear end: now he knows Dermott is his kid, so he's distancing the guy even further from his family, even though there's not much reason to.

Onwards, to the rest of Season 5!!!!

To say nothing of the fact that all they need to do is bring back J.K. Simmons' character (which supposedly will happen) and have him ask "feeling better about being a clone?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Lupus Rufus posted:

Also, when I rewatched the Halloween episode, it suddenly made sense why Doc was so adamant that Dermott use the doorbell instead of wandering in. Though it does make him more of an rear end: now he knows Dermott is his kid, so he's distancing the guy even further from his family, even though there's not much reason to.

I read that more as Doc trying to rein Dermott in a bit. So he's parenting him, not being a dick.

EDIT: Rein =/= reign

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 5, 2013

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Lupus Rufus posted:

Or he could be trying to teach the kid manners. If you want to be optimistic. :shobon:

E:FB

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Hatred has tits in the Halloween special. :stare:

(i hadn't watched it for whatever reason)

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
So are all the episodes an hour because that would be the Sgt Hatred tits. If they were they would have so much more time to make more interesting plot episode like this one.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Tiger Crazy posted:

So are all the episodes an hour because that would be the Sgt Hatred tits. If they were they would have so much more time to make more interesting plot episode like this one.

Sadly, it seems not. They are doing a shirt-per-episode thing, and this one got two shirts because it was double-length. They wouldn't do that if it was the norm. I agree it would be cool.

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
Man this show would be so good with hour long episodes. Also this is the best Billy Quiz boy episode. I am curious about the money they get for the show because they really need to get more voice actors then just doc and a handful of others.

Oh cool did not know about the shirt thing. My guild and order of the triad tee are finally so badly faded. I wish they would remake them so I could buy them again.

Tiger Crazy fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jun 5, 2013

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Tiger Crazy posted:

Man this show would be so good with hour long episodes.

It would, but I think we'd be waiting 2-3 years between seasons if it were the case. Maybe longer.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It would, but I think we'd be waiting 2-3 years between seasons if it were the case. Maybe longer.

Uh...

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Yeah, I know - I just meant it'd become *routine*. The delay between 2 and 3 and 4 weren't as long as 4 to 5.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Lupus Rufus posted:

IN reply to whether Dean will remember being a clone, I don't see why he wouldn't. It would cheapen the Halloween episode significantly if he forgot it, and I don't think Doc and Jackson would do that. It seems like it would just wipe their memory of everything that just happened and they might all think it was just a dream or hallucination that they became a mutant super race for the past few months.

I'm just worried that Ben will come along and we will discover then that Dean doesn't remember him or what they talked about. I'm mainly worried because he doesn't remember who Thalia is and he's met her before Halloween, and presumably interacted with her a lot more than with Ben.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

X_Toad posted:

I'm just worried that Ben will come along and we will discover then that Dean doesn't remember him or what they talked about. I'm mainly worried because he doesn't remember who Thalia is and he's met her before Halloween, and presumably interacted with her a lot more than with Ben.

You're/we're overthinking this way too much, but it's conceivable that once he finds out he has a new room that it might be a shock to his system to allow him to remember SOME of what happened. Knowing the way VB is written, he'll remember Thalia but she won't remember him, and he'll just become a stalker or something (potential supervillain root, maybe).

I'm also wondering what happened to the streaked-hair chick from Victor-Echo-November. I remember her being mentioned last season but for the life of me I can't remember in what context.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jun 5, 2013

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm also wondering what happened to the streaked-hair chick from Victor-Echo-November. I remember her being mentioned last season but for the life of me I can't remember in what context.

Rehab and now "she's all Christian" according to Triana in Operation PROM when Hank asks about her.

jazz babies
Mar 7, 2007

I need to rewatch season 4. I think I missed a few episodes.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

It's not at all clear to me from the ending that Dean has forgotten everything that happened -- clearly the last few hours are a blur, but it seems that there's a lot of jumping to the conclusion that everyone who was in the dome has been effectively mind-wiped of all the events of the past months, and I'm not convinced that's the case.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Quinton posted:

It's not at all clear to me from the ending that Dean has forgotten everything that happened -- clearly the last few hours are a blur, but it seems that there's a lot of jumping to the conclusion that everyone who was in the dome has been effectively mind-wiped of all the events of the past months, and I'm not convinced that's the case.
Dean is fuzzy about who Thalia is, and he's met her before Halloween, so who's to think that he isn't fuzzy about everything that happened after he met the girl? Granted, I'm probably worrying too much and there is no hard evidence, but still, worried.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I really hope a large fits me...a large is most other t-shirts fits me, but I've found one or two manufacturers where a medium is better, and a large is a little too big.

But they said they're American Apparel, yeah? They run smaller, so a large should be ok.

They're pretty slim fitting, so order a size larger than you usually would.

And I don't see how they can ever top the Sgt. Hatred shirt from the first round of shirts.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I don't know what's better, new VB episodes or the return of reading way too into things or having really weird things to nitpick.

Things like this:

IUG posted:

So here's my theory from this episode.

• Trianna meets The Master, who tells her to leave the compound because Dean's got garbage genetics.
  • Dean, now probably over Trianna, starts looking at other girls, including the one in that colony.
  • This puts Dean into the contact with the other genetically altered people, and puts him where they get the curiflies (or whatever they were called).
  • The curiflies cure the genetic problems the students had, but also inject Dean I believe.

• Did this actually cure Dean of the problems he would have being cloned?
  • Did the master know this was going to happen (since he could tell Dean's future), and sent Trianna away so that Dean would be in the right place for the cure?

Or this. No Aziz you can not work because you have a distinctive voice.

door Door door posted:

At first I was a little annoyed at Aziz because he has a very distinctive voice and it was very jarring to hear it in Venture Bros, but that line made it totally worth it.

Or this which is peak :spergin:

Emerson Cod posted:

One of the best jokes of this episode was that the Monarch and 21 were both huge Game of Thrones fans and watched it all the time together.

The first episode of GoT didn't air until 5 months after Operation P.R.O.M., which this episode picks up right after.

:allears:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Or this which is peak :spergin:

:allears:

I think you're misinterpreting this, though. I assume that post was just pointing out that they're making this joke in one of the first episodes aired since GoT started, not asserting that Operation PROM took place on the day that it aired?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The only thing I found a bit jarring about Aziz Ansari's voice was that he somehow sounds more...I dunno, contemporary than the rest of the cast. He's very much a man of his time.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Dynamite Dog posted:

Rehab and now "she's all Christian" according to Triana in Operation PROM when Hank asks about her.

To quote the Publick, you masturbate enough. Which is also the reason we didn't get Dr. Girlfriend as Daenarys, I guess.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Phylodox posted:

The only thing I found a bit jarring about Aziz Ansari's voice was that he somehow sounds more...I dunno, contemporary than the rest of the cast. He's very much a man of his time.

He's playing a college nerd, I'd hope that he would

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

thexerox123 posted:

I think you're misinterpreting this, though. I assume that post was just pointing out that they're making this joke in one of the first episodes aired since GoT started, not asserting that Operation PROM took place on the day that it aired?

Yeah, I really don't care about trying to make sense out of the timeline. I just found it funny that of all the things they chose for the Monarch and 21 to bond over, they picked a show that wasn't even on during their last episode.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
Really the end result of all this is that my mind is being blown that Game of Thrones wasn't even a thing [on TV] the last time we had a Venture Brothers season.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

ultramiraculous posted:

Really the end result of all this is that my mind is being blown that Game of Thrones wasn't even a thing [on TV] the last time we had a Venture Brothers season.

Adventure Time premiered the same year the fourth season of Venture Brothers ended and it's almost finished with it's 5th season. To reiterate, a show that premiered the same year that Venture had season 4 managed to beat it to getting to it's 5th season :psyboom:

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

axleblaze posted:

Adventure Time premiered the same year the fourth season of Venture Brothers ended and it's almost finished with it's 5th season. To reiterate, a show that premiered the same year that Venture had season 4 managed to beat it to getting to it's 5th season :psyboom:

Yeah but Adventure Time doesn't have two guys basically doing everything either. Doc and Jackson are insane basically.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
That reminds me, they should get John DiMaggio to do a voice on VB.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Djarum posted:

Yeah but Adventure Time doesn't have two guys basically doing everything either. Doc and Jackson are insane basically.

Yeah Adventure Time has a dozen teams doing fifteen minute episodes in a much simpler animation style.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I wasn't saying that as a detrminment to Venture Brothers, I was just further putting how long this season took in some context.

Also, Adventure Time's animation really isn't simpler than Venture Brothers. It's less cinematic, but that doesn't honestly make it take THAT much less time.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

axleblaze posted:

Furthermore, the episodes are only 10m long, they have a small army of animators and creative, with Pendleton Ward doing most of the outlining and screenwriting, who I can safely say is way more productive than JP and DH.

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

Phylodox posted:

Cool, so now we know Sgt. Hatred's full real name. Courtney Haine.

This is far up on the previous page, but this is a high-level joke. :golfclap: It's appropriate the Sgt. Hatreds last name is Haine...because Haine is the french word for Hatred.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Goddamn I've missed this show.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Other animated shows are like going to Ikea and buying a new chair.

VB is like calling the Amish craftsmen directly to build the perfect chair for you.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Illuminado posted:

Furthermore, the episodes are only 10m long, they have a small army of animators and creative, with Pendleton Ward doing most of the outlining and screenwriting, who I can safely say is way more productive than JP and DH.

Well I think AT has a significantly higher budget than VB too. It's amazing what you can do with money.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

And best of all, they won't listen to a single one of your chair suggestions.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

theflyingexecutive posted:

And it will be for the best.

Mocha Frost
May 1, 2006

Odds are you're going to get the chair you complain about the most. And it's awesome.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Mocha Frost posted:

Odds are you're going to get the chair you complain about the most. And it's awesome.

And that chair can fly! Man, why didn't anybody tell me about that?

nonatomic retain
May 25, 2003
[[title alloc] init];
title.value = @"Title";
[title show:(GLKView*) view];
[title dealloc];
title = nil;

You sit enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Where are people watching the Halloween special? Is there a legal place to catch it again?