Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

Haerc posted:

I thought that part of it was that they would use old radiators in the process somewhere, which were soldered with lead?

Edit: Actually I don't even know if lead causes blindness :shrug:
Nah, methanol was invented millennia ago, and it was passed off as drinking alcohol back in cowboy days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012

mod sassinator posted:

Werner Herzog documentaries are pretty good about not having too much of an agenda in my opinion. I think it's because he's always looking for the weird personal stories happening behind the scenes. For example Into The Abyss covers a pretty political issue without the heavy handedness of Michael Moore-style documentaries. Herzog just focuses on interviewing a man who's about to die, and its effect on him and his family.

I absolutely agree with this in broad strokes, that Herzog's docs are very "truthful" but he also openly admits to completely fabricating tons of things in those films to get to emotional or philosophical truths or whatever rather than literal factual truths. So sort of not a good answer to the question possibly. Not Into the Abyss in particular but the dude is famous for fabricating stuff, like all the OCD poo poo Dieter does in Little Dieter Needs to Fly. I'm sort of coming in late to the conversation and I know nobody here is really super strict about literal factuality, certainly I'm not, just thought it's worth clearing up.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

I've been on this kick of documentaries where the documentary crew started filming for a different reason and over time, the tone of the documentary turns from optimistic to very pessimistic. A few examples are Lost in La Mancha, The Queen of Versailles and Overnight

Is there any others that can be recommended in this Riches to Rags style?

EDIT: And I've also already seen Catfish

Mouser.. fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 20, 2013

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mouser.. posted:

I've been on this kick of documentaries where the documentary crew started filming for a different reason and over time, the tone of the documentary turns from optimistic to very pessimistic. A few examples are Lost in La Mancha, The Queen of Versailles and Overnight

Cleanflix is on Netflix instant, it's a documentary about Mormons illegally selling copies of Hollywood movies that have been edited to remove sex and violence. There is an abrupt twist in the third act.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Mouser.. posted:

This is similar to Lost in La Mancha. It's about a pastor trying to make an epic religious movie he hopes will rival Star Wars:
http://www.youtube.com/movie/audience-of-one

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Cleanflix is on Netflix instant, it's a documentary about Mormons illegally selling copies of Hollywood movies that have been edited to remove sex and violence. There is an abrupt twist in the third act.

Thank you for this suggestion. That twist was certainly the kind of thing I was looking for.

EDIT: vvvvv Thanks I'll check it out.

Mouser.. fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 21, 2013

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Mouser.. posted:

Dear Zachary :cry:

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

:cry::cry::cry: Okay sad documentary kick is over. This one is crowned champion and I don't ever want to see it again.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
Ben Fogle made an interesting serie of 4 mini portraits called New lives in the wild, about people who've chosen to abandon western livestyle and live secluded and mostly self sufficient. It's a lighthearded, easy digestible and interesting look at escapism.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I just watched "The Inside Job". I knew about all the things in the movie from books etc but seeing it compressed in one movie is just loving depressing :(.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Popelmon posted:

I just watched "The Inside Job". I knew about all the things in the movie from books etc but seeing it compressed in one movie is just loving depressing :(.
The weirdest part is that the same econonomists are still calling the shots, so we're just making more bubbles.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-05-07/bankers-warn-fed-of-farm-student-loan-bubbles-echoing-subprime.html

Check out Maxed Out for a similar doc.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I just watched "Crips and Bloods: Made in America" (holy poo poo this is amazing! Everyone NEEDS to see this!) and I realized that I don't know much about the Black Power Movement (I'm a filthy European).

Are there any good documentaries about this?

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012

Popelmon posted:

I just watched "Crips and Bloods: Made in America" (holy poo poo this is amazing! Everyone NEEDS to see this!) and I realized that I don't know much about the Black Power Movement (I'm a filthy European).

Are there any good documentaries about this?

The Black Power Mixtape 1967-1975 (2011)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXQxyYllXnM

It's a compilation and not a complete narrative for a complex period but I think it's pretty sweet.

Special Kei
May 13, 2009
Watched This is What Winning Looks Like, which was excellent, and ended up watching several more documentaries on YouTube.

Canada's War on Weed
With a reported value of over six billion dollars, it's no secret that marijuana in British Columbia is big business. However, due to the recent legalization of weed in Washington and Colorado, the draconian crime laws pushed forward by the Canadian Conservative government's omnibus crime bill, and recent changes to medical marijuana regulations, the entire industry is suddenly facing an identity crisis. VICE Canada went west to talk to the people directly affected by these recent events: from the legalization activists and the large and small scale growers, to the illegal traffickers and law enforcement, we talked to the people on the front lines of the battle for control over one of Canada's most undervalued resource.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rEbBB-Hfoc

The Business of War: SOFEX
SOFEX is where the world's leading generals come to buy everything from handguns to laser-guided missile systems. It stands for "Special Operations Forces Exhibition Conference" and it's essentially a trade-show where just about anyone with enough money can buy the most powerful weapons in the world.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL_3Qg-SADY

Who Took Down Stockton?
"Who Took Down Stockton?," examines how Stockton, California, became the largest city in American history to file for bankruptcy. The piece highlights the key characters and decisions that brought the city to the brink and traces the trail all the way back to Wall Street.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7tuv-FCGSQ

The Thorium Dream
Thorium reactors, conceptually, are a brilliant solution to our energy dilemma: they would be impervious to meltdowns, could be built faster and smaller than traditional nuclear plants, and cannot be used to produce radioactive material for nuclear weapons. Sound good? Well, it should. Wired had a great feature on thorium in 2009 that you should read if you're interested in the topic and Pasternack's documentary is a worthy advancement of the story.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ9Ll5EX1jc

Japan under american occupation
The Japanese surrender at the end of WWII allowed U.S. troops to peacefully enter as an occupation force. What they found and how they transformed their former enemy is told through the work of a team of cameramen who recorded it all on color film. They were among the first to witness the devastation wrought by the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. They also captured on film the first free elections and the birth of Japanese democracy. It was a remarkable journey.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuPYzWnT1aA

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Riot on the Dance Floor

They are making a documentary on the infamous City Gardens club in Trenton, NJ. Should be out this year!

You could see bands from the Ramones (fluff) to Agnostic Front (skinheads) and everything in between there in the mid-late 80's.

The sunday hardcore/punk shows were literally...loving crazy. Think CBGB's but with 10 times the floorspace, a big shoebox that could fit about 1000 with nothing to stop the fluid dynamics a large violent pit can throw out. There was usually a large skinhead contingent of anywhere from 50 to 150, which always made things interesting.

It was a total poo poo hole, but in the course of four years it comes down to what bands I didn't see there, and thats because they weren't together anymore (Black Flag, Minor Threat, etc).

Here's the teaser:
https://vimeo.com/45213142

I hope this story has a happy ending. I feel bad for Randy, he has nothing to show for it financially. I am going to shoot him a donation (not soliciting) towards the production, its the least I can do.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I think it was toward the beginning of this thread when I saw Dark Days recommended and it was fantastic, if there is anyone who hasn't seen it yet, you need to.

On that same topic, have any more good documentaries on homelessness came out in the last year or two?

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

There was a good HBO doc that's not necessarily about homelessness but is in the same vein called The Motel Kids of Orange County. Vice or one of the other investigative docustyle shows did one for an American city where people are living underground, can't remember the name of it though. Have you seen an older doc called Children Underground

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Has anyone seen Blackfish yet? It's only now coming to theaters proper but debuted at Sundance in January. It seems interesting enough, very much along the lines of The Cove and such. I just watched the trailer and despite being inexplicably cut like some kind of an action/thriller trailer, it seems pretty interesting.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Stare-Out posted:

Has anyone seen Blackfish yet? It's only now coming to theaters proper but debuted at Sundance in January. It seems interesting enough, very much along the lines of The Cove and such. I just watched the trailer and despite being inexplicably cut like some kind of an action/thriller trailer, it seems pretty interesting.
Holy poo poo that movie looks good. In a bad way, like, terrible how they treat them, but drat, I gotta see that.

SimonNotGarfunkel
Jan 28, 2011
First I've heard of it but looks very interesting!

Stellar Curiosity
Jan 15, 2009

fenix down posted:

The weirdest part is that the same econonomists are still calling the shots, so we're just making more bubbles.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-05-07/bankers-warn-fed-of-farm-student-loan-bubbles-echoing-subprime.html

Check out Maxed Out for a similar doc.

Other than Maxed Out, are there any more recent docs (post 2008) in a similar vein you'd recommend?

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Stellar Curiosity posted:

Other than Maxed Out, are there any more recent docs (post 2008) in a similar vein you'd recommend?

Freakonomics maybe?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

magnificent7 posted:

Freakonomics maybe?

Just skip that Spurlocky piece of poo poo first segment about names.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Just skip that Spurlocky piece of poo poo first segment about names.

Really, the fact that Freakonomics has a section that is basically a warmed-over retelling of an oft-repeated bit of racist bullshit that is almost a century old is a pretty good warning for how stupid and unscientific the rest of the book is going to be. If that doesn't scare a person off, there's no helping them.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
COLOR by Tom Sachs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBM_9W_e_D4

Quirky little documentary about the colours an art studio use.

SIGN PAINTERS trailer
http://vimeo.com/61006621 https://vimeo.com/61006621

Being released this year.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Really, the fact that Freakonomics has a section that is basically a warmed-over retelling of an oft-repeated bit of racist bullshit that is almost a century old is a pretty good warning for how stupid and unscientific the rest of the book is going to be. If that doesn't scare a person off, there's no helping them.

Do they also repeat the absurd claims that abortion lowered crime rates that appeared in the book?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

cloudchamber posted:

Do they also repeat the absurd claims that abortion lowered crime rates that appeared in the book?

I had a coworker try really hard to argue that point with me when I said Freakonomics was a dumb book because not all problems can be solved with economics. That point was his major argument in favor of Freakonomics. He's also a racist, sexist, homeschooled shithead who dumped a girl he was dating because she made him think strange thoughts and was making him lose his relationship with Jesus.

Anyway. Has anyone seen I know that voice? I've heard it be brought up on a few podcasts, but only before it was released. I wasn't sure if it was as good as I hoped.

Edit: It has not been released yet. Jeez, that documentary was being talked about in 2011. He's sure taking his sweet time...

rotinaj fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 5, 2013

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

cloudchamber posted:

That would be segment three narrated by Melvin Van Peebles.

If anything, people should just find the second segment about cheating in sumo. That's really well edited and a great watch.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I'm looking for documentaries related to the Civil Rights movement in America in the 60s, specifically ones that show the Southern white establishment's reaction to it, and the ways the protestors were treated (dogs and fire hoses and whatnot.) I remember watching one in high school more than 20 years ago that seemed to focus on those aspects, but I'll be damned if I can remember what it was called.

I recall an press conference where some old cracker referred to MLK as "Martin Luther Coon," if that helps.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The definitive one would be PBS's multipart Eyes on the Prize.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
That may actually be the one I watched, awesome. It looks like only the first part is on Netflix though.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
A recent, favorite documentary of mine that I can watch over and over again is Honest Man: The Life of R. Budd Dwyer, which goes really heavily into the local political context and the series of events which ultimately led to the poor guy deciding to go out the way he did. (For those who don't know, he was a state treasurer who killed himself at a televised press conference after being indicted on bribery charges.)

The YouTube trailer is here, and it looks like you can watch it for free here, but keep in mind the movie includes the entire televised footage of his suicide, so if you're at all squeamish to that sort of thing you probably shouldn't watch it.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012

Castomira posted:

A recent, favorite documentary of mine that I can watch over and over again is Honest Man: The Life of R. Budd Dwyer, which goes really heavily into the local political context and the series of events which ultimately led to the poor guy deciding to go out the way he did. (For those who don't know, he was a state treasurer who killed himself at a televised press conference after being indicted on bribery charges.)

The YouTube trailer is here, and it looks like you can watch it for free here, but keep in mind the movie includes the entire televised footage of his suicide, so if you're at all squeamish to that sort of thing you probably shouldn't watch it.

Looks interesting!

Sadly it seems the version you linked too is an edited cut. :gbsmith:

I will search for a full version, thanks for the recommendation!

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
Hmm. I don't know what they could have possibly cut from the free version, but if all else fails I will say that I don't regret paying twelve bucks for the DVD.

HeebHustler
Jan 16, 2007

I just watched Overnight and I thought it was very good. The images of the band members near the end of the film really stuck with me and I would recommend it to anyone who has an interest in the movie/music business.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

HeebHustler posted:

I just watched Overnight and I thought it was very good. The images of the band members near the end of the film really stuck with me and I would recommend it to anyone who has an interest in the movie/music business.

Is there something in the blood of those with the last name Duffy? Why are so many of them loving imbeciles?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I'm enjoying this series of 45 minute documentaries on Youtube called My Shocking Story, that focuses on unusual and interesting conditions of individuals.

A child who doesn't seem to age:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkpkyI0v2Q4

A man with an unknown disease that makes his skin grow into tree like material:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x9vvKt7w2k

The man who inspired The Rain Man movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoQiWY8GGeQ

A young boy who gives information about his supposed previous life:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFHWb7IuPno

A 7 year old surgeon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsNczyEuZJ0

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

ChocNitty posted:

A man with an unknown disease that makes his skin grow into tree like material:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x9vvKt7w2k

Thanks for all the videos. I've watched this one first because I've heard of this man before. It's hard not to get goosebumps just looking at him. I was so focused on the science behind his condition that I fast forwarded through the "circus" scenes - plus they're uncomfortable to watch, so no loss. Did you find the end disappointing? Not in terms of the documentary itself but in terms of resolution of the story? I lost my erection big time and I'm not even a man. And they never game an explanation as to why. Tree man must have given one, but it was never shared. Not to say the documentary isn't worth watching, though, it is because there are things to learn. But man, wow, why? :smith:

As for "The boy who lived before," I had seen it already, and others in the same vein. That's mind grasping and defies all logic. I doubt I'll live old enough for humanity to know how these things work (or if reincarnation is actually happening), but it's good to just watch and wonder.

To contribute, Neil Tyson narrates a piece on the origins of life:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy64KR6vYU4

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Pilli posted:

Thanks for all the videos. I've watched this one first because I've heard of this man before. It's hard not to get goosebumps just looking at him. I was so focused on the science behind his condition that I fast forwarded through the "circus" scenes - plus they're uncomfortable to watch, so no loss. Did you find the end disappointing? Not in terms of the documentary itself but in terms of resolution of the story? I lost my erection big time and I'm not even a man. And they never game an explanation as to why. Tree man must have given one, but it was never shared. Not to say the documentary isn't worth watching, though, it is because there are things to learn. But man, wow, why? :smith:

I agree that the ending of the story with Dede was very abrupt - it honestly made me wonder if there wasn't some sort of coercion going on from the people he worked with after how they showed the "Circus" owner/organizer treated them. It was very clear that all the people that worked there felt completely demeaned and hated it, and the jobs they worked were just... gosh. I just don't even know. Completely exploiting what are basically disabled people. :/ I guess it does give them a way to earn income and be independent, but at the cost of their mental (and perhaps physical) well being is just awful.

Anyway, that aside, I did look the guy up and it seems he's now gotton (some) treatment but things haven't been going so well. In 2008 he had a lot of the masses on his hands surgically removed, but then a little later there were complecations with officials, as well as medically and now he needs a bone marrow transplant at the very least. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff
Thanks for the update. From the second article you linked,

Web article posted:

Gaspari believes that a complete cure would require a bone marrow transplant or other procedures not readily available in Indonesia. "There are things I still want to do for Dede, but my hands are tied," he said. "The government seems to view me as some outsider butting in where I don't belong." Meanwhile, Indonesian officials are reluctant to let Dede travel abroad for care, fearing he would become exploited as a medical research projet.

:shepicide: