Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So I've been trying to find a decent video setting for a 55" Samsung I bought a few months ago. The best one I could find was from an amazon review and I'm trying to find something better. It's model is UN55EH6000F, does anyone have good suggestions? The only other thing I can think of is picking up a calibration disc like the one disney sells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Avsforum has a free calibration disc.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
^ ^ ^ Added to the OP FAQ.

Currently updating the OP for 2013. Now with 20% more Wiki links! :pseudo:
- Almost completely rewrote everything to be less poo poo.
- updated the Glossary of Terms.
- Added more questions to the FAQ, and revised a few too.
- added pics!

Been busy watching lots of HD content, and reading too much Debate & Discussion lately.
Hooked the Mac up to the plasma, streamed Eurovision a few weeks back, and got drunk with friends. Fun times.
Blu-Ray Seven Samurai is absolutely beautiful, even compared to upscaled DVD.
Everyone should own BBC's Blu-Rays of Africa, Microcosmos, and The Great Barrier Reef.

I'll have something in a couple hours or less.

Done!

gently caress, I'm a slow typist. :smith:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jun 4, 2013

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Shrinkage posted:

I'm looking to get a new TV with around 60 inch size, trying to decide between the Panasonic ST50 and the new ST60.

What does everyone think of the new ST60? Is the new ST 60 worth the few hundred bucks extra from the ST 50?

I can't speak to the input lag as I haven't played any games yet, but the picture on the 60ST60 is totally gorgeous.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Do pretty much all modern TVs use the same remote control mechanism? I ask because I have a 50" LG plasma (could get the model number) but I left the remote back at my old place 400 miles away and I'm positive the landlord already trashed it. If I could just use my phone I would be more than happy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They all use IR.

Several phones have IR built in, or you can buy a better universal like a Harmony.

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008

The Rev posted:

Alright Goons, Please recommend me a TV!

I currently have a 32" LCD Sony KDL-32L4000. There is nothing wrong with this TV at all, it has been going strong for ~5 years without a single issue. I am just deciding to upgrade, and giving the Sony to my sister.

What I use my TV For:
PS3 (The only game I play is NHL 13 & Amazon Prime Streaming)
Watching hockey games
Blu-Ray Movies through the PS3
Next Gen console use, when it comes out down the road

What I would Like:
Size: I would like a 40" TV, I have done the measurements, this is the biggest TV I can comfortably fit into the space I would like it to go. It would not be wall mounted, it would rest on a stand, if that matters for anything.
Size2: I would prefer it be a thin TV, So I am assuming LED.
Features: I would like a smart TV, don't care if it is wifi or not, it is going to be right next the the router. I certainly don't give a poo poo about 3D, so If I could save a few dollars by not getting that feature, I am all for it. The TV needs to be able to display games nicely, I don't really care about input lag unless it is really, really noticable.
Price Range: $600 max. preferably lower, the sales tax here is 6% if you care to figure that into price/take into consideration

There's just about every major store within a 5 mile radius of me (except Fry's I am east coast), and I am fine with ordering online as well. I also belong to BJ's Wholesale club.

I suppose recommending a set is out of fashion. I went to a few stores over the weekend and really liked the Samsung UN40F5500. It's $575 plus tax at the store right now, I pay tax on amazon.com too, so no easy way to save a few bucks there.

Anyone own a Samsung F5500, or know of any high praise / glaring issues with this set?

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Aphrodite posted:

They all use IR.

Several phones have IR built in, or you can buy a better universal like a Harmony.

Thanks! I ended up getting it back and my phone does IR so this is all very good.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I've updated the following questions in the FAQ to be more brand neutral; emphasizing the technical requirement for a given category/feature, and how personal taste/needs will influence the selection process.
I'll (try to) leave anecdotal opinion to you guys. ;)

What TV is the best?
What's the best brand?
What gives me the most bang for my buck?
What is the best TV for __?

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jun 4, 2013

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Aphrodite posted:

or you can buy a better universal like a Harmony.

I was wondering about this, since I've never used a universal remote before. Can I set it up to control my LG TV, Onkyo Audio Receiver and AppleTV? My LG TV remote can already control the Onkyo's volume through HDMI, but I need to switch channels when I want to watch the AppleTV or PS3.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I was thinking... since most displays are capable of playing content directly from a USB key now, a great way to test a television would be to ask a rep if you can play a movie/show you're very familiar with.
There's no real downside, as the worst that'll happen is the rep will refuse.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I'm most interested in what brands I should absolutely avoid, especially when it comes to more affordable in-house store brands like Insignia.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

FLX posted:

I was wondering about this, since I've never used a universal remote before. Can I set it up to control my LG TV, Onkyo Audio Receiver and AppleTV? My LG TV remote can already control the Onkyo's volume through HDMI, but I need to switch channels when I want to watch the AppleTV or PS3.

If they all have IR, almost certainly.

I haven't looked for all of those devices personally so I can't say yes for sure, but the Harmony database has just about everything in it. Plus those are all major brands.

And even if not, every Harmony I've used has a back IR receiver that you can use to teach it commands from your existing remote.

The only thing it can't control on that list is the PS3 because the PS3 has no IR. There's an adapter for that in the Harmony line, but it's like $50.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

I'm most interested in what brands I should absolutely avoid, especially when it comes to more affordable in-house store brands like Insignia.

Store brands like Insignia and Dynex (BB and Future Shop respectively) aren't necessarily bad, they're just not the best.
It's the brands with names that never existed before the year 2000 (Asian "brands of the day") that I would avoid like the plague.

Vizio is excepted, (est. 2002) as they're an American company that knows how to design and source a decent product.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 4, 2013

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Yeah, I have a 32" Vizio that's been okay so far. I'm buying a 46" 1080 set this Summer though. Hoping to find a decent one around $500.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The '09/10 model a bunch of friends and I RB3'd on also only had 1.5 (~25ms) frames of input lag, so they're worth checking out as a gaming television.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Mister Macys posted:

The '09/10 model a bunch of friends and I RB3'd on also only had 1.5 (~25ms) frames of input lag, so they're worth checking out as a gaming television.

Cool. I'm planning on just walking into a Best Buy and comparing 46-50" tvs until I find one with a decent brand name, price and low latency as it will be used heavily as a gaming tv. I was slightly interested in a Plasma, but I really want 1080, and most of the affordable Plasmas I see are 720 for some reason.

Haven't been looking at sales just yet since I won't be buying until August, most likely.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Also, from page 1:

scary ghost dog posted:

Never buy Sylvania televisions.

Not sure who their supplier is, but Siemens AG owns the Sylvania name in a bunch of countries.

I have the same (personal) opinion with Philips. Their devices have always failed on me, and I said never again.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
Ugh, I hate to just ask this flat out, but I'm just not finding what I need.

Looking at something 60" (why not just say it. I want a 5 foot television). But I play games on it, so I want low response time; and on the flip side, it can't be something that is going to burn in, because I watch a lot of DVDs/BluRays and fall asleep during them. I'll wake up in the morning with the menu stuck on screen for several hours without me interacting at all.

I currently have a 50" Toshiba DLP, and its handled this well, but I just moved, and I need to get my TV up on a wall mount instead of taking up space on a TV stand. Current living room has an arrangement that doesn't give me much room to play with, so having a wall mount above "the fire place" (not a fireplace anymore. Was filled in years ago and just basically is a shelf built into the wall now) will give me a significant amount of space in my living room.

Any ideas other than to "not fall asleep while watching movies" (never going to happen).

3D would be nice, VERY nice, but having it missing is not going to be a deal breaker. Don't give a poo poo about smart features.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Both my plasma and my blu-ray player have options to prevent screen burn with dimming/auto-off.
I've woken up a few times now with either the TV off or the screen dimmed, to no lasting effect.

And if they're both Anynet/CEC-enabled, you can set them so turning off one turns off the other.

My plasma is a Samsung, the Blu-Ray is a Sony, and they talk to each other. :iia:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 4, 2013

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
Pillbug

Mister Macys posted:

Both my plasma and my blu-ray player have options to prevent screen burn with dimming/auto-off.

My plasma is a Samsung, the Blu-Ray is a Sony, and they talk to each other. :iia:

My BluRay player is a PS3, and it won't dim/darken at all unless I pause a movie. Even on a static menu for a regular DVD. But I'll check int Anynet/CEC. Never heard of that before.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Syves posted:

My BluRay player is a PS3, and it won't dim/darken at all unless I pause a movie. Even on a static menu for a regular DVD. But I'll check int Anynet/CEC. Never heard of that before.

PS3 has an auto off feature. Most (all?) TV's can/will turn off with no signal.

On your PS3:

XMB > Settings > System Auto-Off
After 1 Hour The system turns off after the specified period of inactivity.
After 2 Hours
After 3 Hours
After 4 Hours
After 5 Hours
Off The system is not set to turn off automatically.

Step 1: Configure PS3
Step 2: Configure TV
Step 3: Watch movie.
Step 4: ZzzzzzzzZzzzzzzzzz
Step 5: Profit! (Because both devices will turn off and save you $ on your power bill!)

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
Pillbug

toplitzin posted:

PS3 has an auto off feature. Most (all?) TV's can/will turn off with no signal.

Well would ya look at that? It did have one. Thanks. Never saw a menu like that when I got it. Never bothered to recheck.

Whats the response times for LED TV's in general, about the same as LCD?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

LEDs are just LCDs with different backlighting, so yes.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

Syves posted:

Ugh, I hate to just ask this flat out, but I'm just not finding what I need.

Looking at something 60" (why not just say it. I want a 5 foot television). But I play games on it, so I want low response time; and on the flip side, it can't be something that is going to burn in, because I watch a lot of DVDs/BluRays and fall asleep during them. I'll wake up in the morning with the menu stuck on screen for several hours without me interacting at all.

I currently have a 50" Toshiba DLP, and its handled this well, but I just moved, and I need to get my TV up on a wall mount instead of taking up space on a TV stand. Current living room has an arrangement that doesn't give me much room to play with, so having a wall mount above "the fire place" (not a fireplace anymore. Was filled in years ago and just basically is a shelf built into the wall now) will give me a significant amount of space in my living room.

Any ideas other than to "not fall asleep while watching movies" (never going to happen).

3D would be nice, VERY nice, but having it missing is not going to be a deal breaker. Don't give a poo poo about smart features.
I just bought a Samsung UN60ES7500 60-Inch 1080p 240Hz 3D Slim LED HDTV (Black) a month ago and it's been doing very good for me. I have played games on it with no noticeable lag, just got to remember to change the resolution if you play any computer games on it. There is no burn in problem with LEDs LCDs, I fall asleep all the time on a static screen so this is a non issue. Power usage is minimal compared to any other type of TV. I have yet to try a 3d movie, but this TV has active 3d capability and four included glasses. This screen I think is about 70 lbs, so it isn't too heavy considering its size. The TV costed me about $1800 + sales tax.

My two biggest complaints so far are: 1. No power on/off button on the TV 2. Screen auto dims on power saving mode sometimes which is a little distracting.

The TV has "smart features" which most modern television have, but everybody ignores them since they're usually crap. I don't know how well they work since I never used them due to me having a computer hooked up to the TV. If you don't have a receiver, this TV has 3 hdmi ports, optical audio port, and a component port.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

ijii posted:

My two biggest complaints so far are: 1. No power on/off button on the TV

On 2012 models, it should be located in the bottom right or left, on the back of the unit.
It's a circular four-way button, with the fifth in the middle. Push in to turn on.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 5, 2013

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is there a place to find out a sets input lag?

I am thinking of getting the LG 55LM6200 but want to make sure it is okay for gaming.

E: I'd been thinking of the TC-P50ST60 but the input lag is 80 ms.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jun 5, 2013

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
I got a 42" Panasonic S60 the other week and was interested in mounting it but I wasn't sure if there was a most recommended type right now for heavier plasmas. I don't really have any specific requirements as far as tilt goes- just need something that's stable.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

UncleGuito posted:

I got a 42" Panasonic S60 the other week and was interested in mounting it but I wasn't sure if there was a most recommended type right now for heavier plasmas. I don't really have any specific requirements as far as tilt goes- just need something that's stable.

Just pick one off monoprice. That tv isn't even 50lbs.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
Pillbug

ijii posted:

I just bought a Samsung UN60ES7500 60-Inch 1080p 240Hz 3D Slim LED HDTV (Black)

I'm leaning towards a f7100 now from Samsung myself. Best Buy had the Samsungs set up so the 8000 series TV's looked better than everything. Even then, the entire wall was pretty pixelated and looked like a turd on a sidewalk. Went to another place and the picture quality was much better across the board. f7100 series looked good. Not just picture wise, but cost as well. Was still hoping to get out under 1500, but now that I've seen some decently set up TV's, I don't think I can go cheaper.

Waltzing Along posted:

Is there a place to find out a sets input lag?

And thanks to the information on this site:

http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

I've got a good idea on what to expect for lag on the different models I've been looking at.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00752VKW8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

The 50" ST50 appears to only be ~$900 on Amazon. Is this the standard price now?

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
So I've got a weird situation going on with my new television, an Insignia 46E340A13:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insignia%26%23153%3B---46%26%2334%3B-Class---LED---1080p---60Hz---HDTV/6835258.p?id=1218808630514&skuId=6835258

The picture quality's basically pretty good, and the sound sucks but we all knew that would happen. What's weird is how it responds to inputs.

When I connect a laptop to it with a minidisplay-port-to-VGA-adapter, it'll display at 1080p so crisply that I can use it for word processing. I bought the mini-displayport-to-VGA adapter at radio shack, it's a store brand. Nothing cool or clever.

When I connect a PC to it with an HDMI cable straight from the video card, it's way less crisp. I'm not sure how to describe it - the pixels haze in to each other a bit. There's no crispness. Reading text that's clear as crystal on my monitor or with the VGA port is genuinely painful over HDMI.

Given that our PS3 connects to the thing with an HDMI cable and we're getting a bit of the same hazing there, we're not sure what to do about it, or if we should do anything. We're considering moving up to a more expensive model of a more reliable brand like LG, but we got this television for $400 and we're very aware that there is no chance of us getting a deal that good again before the return period for our Insignia ends.

My question is, has anyone else had this situation where one input format is clean and the other sucks, especially with this brand? Do any of you have more general advice?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Syves posted:

I'm leaning towards a f7100 now from Samsung myself. Best Buy had the Samsungs set up so the 8000 series TV's looked better than everything. Even then, the entire wall was pretty pixelated and looked like a turd on a sidewalk. Went to another place and the picture quality was much better across the board. f7100 series looked good. Not just picture wise, but cost as well. Was still hoping to get out under 1500, but now that I've seen some decently set up TV's, I don't think I can go cheaper.

I've got a good idea on what to expect for lag on the different models I've been looking at.

Ooh, nice. For the longest time, all I've known about was the 1-frame input lag thread on the Shoryuken forums, and the display-specific forums on AVS.
I'm putting that right at the top of the OP, with the cables link.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 5, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

So I've got a weird situation going on with my new television, an Insignia 46E340A13:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insignia%26%23153%3B---46%26%2334%3B-Class---LED---1080p---60Hz---HDTV/6835258.p?id=1218808630514&skuId=6835258

The picture quality's basically pretty good, and the sound sucks but we all knew that would happen. What's weird is how it responds to inputs.

When I connect a laptop to it with a minidisplay-port-to-VGA-adapter, it'll display at 1080p so crisply that I can use it for word processing. I bought the mini-displayport-to-VGA adapter at radio shack, it's a store brand. Nothing cool or clever.

When I connect a PC to it with an HDMI cable straight from the video card, it's way less crisp. I'm not sure how to describe it - the pixels haze in to each other a bit. There's no crispness. Reading text that's clear as crystal on my monitor or with the VGA port is genuinely painful over HDMI.

Given that our PS3 connects to the thing with an HDMI cable and we're getting a bit of the same hazing there, we're not sure what to do about it, or if we should do anything. We're considering moving up to a more expensive model of a more reliable brand like LG, but we got this television for $400 and we're very aware that there is no chance of us getting a deal that good again before the return period for our Insignia ends.

My question is, has anyone else had this situation where one input format is clean and the other sucks, especially with this brand? Do any of you have more general advice?

Does it have a Game Mode, or some other way to turn off all the extra effects? Usually TVs with VGA will turn all that stuff off automatically over that connection, so that could be why you didn't see it there.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

The HDCP handshake may be failing causing a lower then normal output. Could also be really bad processing (might look at updating the firmware). Many insiginia's are actually ximians. Ximian also does work for LG.

Aphrodite posted:

Does it have a Game Mode, or some other way to turn off all the extra effects? Usually TVs with VGA will turn all that stuff off automatically over that connection, so that could be why you didn't see it there.

Good advice too.

HFX fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 5, 2013

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Syves posted:

I found that last night. I meant to post it here but dozed off. Thanks!

That is handy, but many of the models are old. There aren't very many 2012/2013s, though. :(

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Aphrodite posted:

I've flipped through the image modes, but nothing like that yet. I'll see what I can do.

HFX posted:

The HDCP handshake may be failing causing a lower then normal output. Could also be really bad processing (might look at updating the firmware). Many insiginia's are actually ximians. Ximian also does work for LG.
I've actually got a firmware update I'm gonna be installing tomorrow. We'll see what it does.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Game Mode is usually a separate toggle independent from your Cinema/Sports/Dynamic/etc. types of picture modes.

Sometimes it's buried in the menus somewhere.

Edit: Does your TV have an option called "DCM"? If so, try turning that off.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 6, 2013

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I am just completely overwhelmed when doing research on TVs, but for some reason I think that I'm overthinking it. The current TV we have (a 40" Samsung Plasma) was a gift and I know nothing about the settings and features and I'm happy with it. Maybe I just need to buy something within my price range rather than what some videophile recomends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I just saw this TV posted elsewhere as an Amazon Deal today. Thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...musicvorecom-20

663.63 - LG Electronics 42LA6200 42-Inch Cinema 3D 1080p 120Hz LED-LCD HDTV with Smart TV and Four Pairs of 3D Glasses