Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddeye
Jul 24, 2005

As much as it sucks that Natura had the recall, please keep in mind that they are an incredibly proactive company when it comes to issues like this. My reps that dealt with this recall cited that one bag of cat food and one bag of cat treats were found to have traces of salmonella, which is of course, not good. However, Natura ended up recalling 3 months worth of product that was made in that facility.

Some other companies might have tried to keep that under wraps completely.

This also leads to another note: ALWAYS keep the original packaging your dog or cat food came in. Why?

#1 Each bag has the lot number printed on it for just such circumstances. And

#2 If you do have to return it, and comes to me in a garbage bag, retailers like myself will not take it and

#3 Generally good lasts longer in its original packaging if its sealed and stored properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
I think it's kind of ridiculous for a pet store to not stock a food ever again just because it was recalled. If every food that ever had a recall was never allowed back on shelves... well, there wouldn't be many pet foods left.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

oddeye posted:

As much as it sucks that Natura had the recall, please keep in mind that they are an incredibly proactive company when it comes to issues like this. My reps that dealt with this recall cited that one bag of cat food and one bag of cat treats were found to have traces of salmonella, which is of course, not good. However, Natura ended up recalling 3 months worth of product that was made in that facility.

Some other companies might have tried to keep that under wraps completely.

This also leads to another note: ALWAYS keep the original packaging your dog or cat food came in. Why?

#1 Each bag has the lot number printed on it for just such circumstances. And

#2 If you do have to return it, and comes to me in a garbage bag, retailers like myself will not take it and

#3 Generally good lasts longer in its original packaging if its sealed and stored properly.

So is it safe to go back to Natura brand products? I was feeding California Naturals and had a bag that was recalled, so I stopped feeding it. I was really upset because we'd only gotten it a few days before the recall.

oddeye
Jul 24, 2005

wtftastic posted:

So is it safe to go back to Natura brand products? I was feeding California Naturals and had a bag that was recalled, so I stopped feeding it. I was really upset because we'd only gotten it a few days before the recall.

Yes, I'm not sure what the protocol in the states is but in Canada a couple things would have happened.

First all the products are recalled and disposed in a manner that no human or animal can get at it.

The facility would be cleaned top to bottom and then inspected by a government official to make sure it's up to standard. As well they would make suggestions to Natura on how to prevent this again.

If anything Natura's facility is probably even more safe than before. This however hasn't won the trust of anyone and our Natura sales have suffered for it.

oddeye fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 5, 2013

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

oddeye posted:

Yes, I'm not sure what the protocol in the states is but in Canada a couple things would have happened.

First all the products are recalled and disposed in a manner that no human or animal can get at it.

The facility would be cleaned top to bottom and then inspected by a government official to make sure it's up to standard. As well they would make suggestions to Natura on how to prevent this again.

If anything Natura's facility is probably even more safe than before. This however hasn't won the trust of anyone and our Natura sales have suffered for it.

If they're really that diligent about their recalls, then I'd be happy to buy their dog foods again! Thanks for the info.

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy

Syfe posted:

Thanks, we've been feeding him less. We had him on Innova EVO weight management but our local pet store stopped carrying it over a recall over tainted food and have said that they're very angry and never carrying that food again. Which upsets me because Zavi was losing weight on it. We moved to Orijen which he binged on whenever it was down and it was impossible to manage between the two cats. So we've been looking for an alternative, looks like we may just have to search for a different pet store in the end though.

If you want your cat to lose weight, you're going to have to feed him meals. If it was impossible to stop him from binging on the Orijen then it's also unhealthy to just let him eat as much Innova EVO (or other weight management food) as he wants. Put both cats on a schedule, feed them separately so if fat cat scarfs his food down he can't just finish the other cat's food, etc. and he'll start losing weight again. We have three cats who ALL eat separately. Ramona and Frank have to eat in different rooms or Frank will eat his food and then try to eat hers. This makes her eat super fast to try and eat as much as she can before he tries to steal it and then she throws it up all over the place. Iggy has to eat his food in the bedroom because he's on a prescription diet. We've had a lot of success getting Frank to lose weight by replacing at least half of his dry food with canned food. Now that they're used to eating meals, it's not a problem to give them wet food and I think it makes him feel fuller (because after he eats it he goes and lays down instead of complaining a bunch about how he needs more food).

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

wtftastic posted:

If they're really that diligent about their recalls, then I'd be happy to buy their dog foods again! Thanks for the info.

Since the company sells its product by trying to get into the premium pet food market, I'm willing to bet they've done things to improve sanitation. Its client base is made up of people who are willing to spend a bit more for better food, and recalls for contaminant reasons will damage that client base far more than say, if this was Beneful or Ol Roy. If a recall happened with either of those, they are based off being cheap and people will continue to buy them.

It's like airline safety in the months after a plane crash.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
I don't see Simply Nourish on any of the lists - I've been pretty pleased with it so far. It's sold at Petsmart and I believe that it's cheaper than Blue Buffalo, so it might be a nice budget option? I just found a senior formulation that has added glucosamine and chondroitin (my 14 year old cat is arthritic and the vet wants her taking a supplement).

Here are the details...

Dry Food - Senior Chicken and Rice posted:

Ingredients: Chicken, chicken meal, oatmeal, rice flour, canola oil, tomato pomace, natural flavor, dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, dried chicory root, choline chloride, flaxseed, dried cranberries, dried carrots, dried sweet potatoes, vitamins (...), DL-methionine, minerals, dried chicken cartilage.

Analysis: >32% protein, >14% fat, <4% fiber
This one seems like it has really low fat, I'm guessing the actual value is much higher.

Wet food - Tuna and Chicken Stew posted:

Ingredients: Water, Tuna, Chicken, Carrot, Tapioca Starch, Sunflower Oil... Tons of supplements.

Analysis: >10% protein, >1.4% fat, 83% moisture.
This food looks fantastic, like human food. It's almost entirely shredded chicken and tuna. Definitely the first pet food that hasn't made me feel vaguely ill.

Wet food - Chicken Recipe (loaf style) posted:

Ingredients: Chicken, chicken broth, dried egg whites parmesan cheese, spinach, oatmeal, whole ground barley, flaxseed, carrageenan, supplements.

Analysis: >9% protein, >7% fat, 78% moisture.
This one is more recognizably pet food. I'm not a fan and will not buy again.

So do these look alright? I've been really pleased, but I want to make sure it's good! I really love this food so far, because my cats aren't spitting it out as much as they did with Blue Buffalo...

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

dopaMEAN posted:

I don't see Simply Nourish on any of the lists...
So do these look alright? I've been really pleased, but I want to make sure it's good! I really love this food so far, because my cats aren't spitting it out as much as they did with Blue Buffalo...

Looks fine to me (though to get a bit OCD about analyses in cats, the carbs are a bit high if we're looking at premium foods), as long as it has a balanced AAFCO statement (if you're USA) on it somewhere. Guaranteed analysis can be a bit inaccurate, but I'd be willing to bet that both protein and fat values are as close as possible to the reported numbers, as those are what cost the most in a diet.

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

dopaMEAN posted:

Definitely the first pet food that hasn't made me feel vaguely ill.

You're, uh, you're supposed to feed it to the cats.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

El Gar posted:

You're, uh, you're supposed to feed it to the cats.

Sometimes, you're in the vet hospital really late at night...

... you're super hungry, and everything is closed...

...and that cat food that you're heating in the microwave suddenly starts smelling so good...

Don't eat Purina JM. It tastes like how fish food smells.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

HelloSailorSign posted:

...and that cat food that you're heating in the microwave suddenly starts smelling so good...

EN isn't bad.

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

HelloSailorSign posted:

If you do, start another thread in GBS about it.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

HelloSailorSign posted:

When I used to work at the Petsmart PetsHotel a million years ago we'd always get super hungry when the dogs with homemade hamburger and rice meals had their food heated up for them.

We constantly dared each other to try the doggy fro-yo, I'm pretty sure a few of the guys did...

HelloSailorSign posted:

Looks fine to me (though to get a bit OCD about analyses in cats, the carbs are a bit high if we're looking at premium foods), as long as it has a balanced AAFCO statement (if you're USA) on it somewhere. Guaranteed analysis can be a bit inaccurate, but I'd be willing to bet that both protein and fat values are as close as possible to the reported numbers, as those are what cost the most in a diet.

Thanks - I didn't see the AAFCO statement on the bag, though they did have a disclaimer stating that AAFCO doesn't recognize omega fatty acids as essential.

dopaMEAN fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 6, 2013

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
I was gunna post in the Herp thread but since Mazuri makes diets for pretty much everything, figured I can ask here. Petco is starting to carry turtle/tortoise/iguana food from them. What do you guys think of Mazuri? Its a big brand name..mostly for zoo diets, and touted as 'best thing ever'. Im sure they are in giving what specific species needs but looking at the ingredients, they all look like crap to me after learning about dog/cat food :( reminds me of science diet. I dont think I'd recommend most of their diets over other companies available.

A few ingredient lists from some random pet animals, I tried to cut off once the supplements started:

Ferret
Poultry by-product meal, ground brown rice, dehulled soybean meal, porcine animal fat preserved with BHA, poultry digest, poultry fat preserved with ethoxyquin, dried beet pulp

Exotic canine diet (28% protein)
Ground corn, poultry by-product meal, ground brown rice, corn gluten meal, porcine animal fat preserved with BHA, stabilized poultry fat, porcine meat meal, brewers dried yeast, poultry liver digest (a palatant), dried beet pulp, ground soybean hulls, spray dried red blood cells, dried whey, dried egg product

Exotic cat (36% protein, about 28%~ carbs it looks like)
Poultry by-product meal, ground brown rice, corn gluten meal, dried beet pulp, porcine animal fat preserved with BHA, poultry fat preserved with ethoxyquin, dehulled soybean meal, poultry digest, dried whey, fish meal, wheat germ, fish oil

Iguana
Dehulled soybean meal, dehydrated alfalfa meal, ground soybean hulls, wheat middlings, ground corn,

Some of their stuff seems alright (especially the gel/powder formulas) but in general, it just sounds like a lot of by products and junk.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Is anyone familiar with the different protein contents of dog foods?

I just came across a study by Dr. Dodman (a vet behaviorist) at Tufts which suggested that a high protein diet (30+%) can exacerbate certain types of aggression in dogs because it makes tryptophan (a seratonin precursor) harder to utilize and that a low protein diet (17%) and/or a tryptophan supplement may be appropriate in some cases. Only one study is available as far as I can tell (and it has issues like smallish sample sizes), but it seems like something I should just go ahead and rule out.

I am waiting for my vet to call me back about whether there would be health issues with a low protein diet/tryptophan trial run with Psyche, but in the meantime, I am wondering if anyone here is careful about how rich in protein their dog's diet is. A low protein diet for a dog seems counter-intuitive to me in the first place (what do you replace it with, carbs? which carbs are good for dogs in larger amounts?) unless the dog has kidney problems. Also how can you tell how protein-rich a commercial dog food is? They only have to list a minimum correct?

We currently feed Blue Buffalo, which is listed as high protein on their website, though I can't find an actual percentage. I also use chicken as a training food a lot. Are there options out there for say a more medium protein based diet? Is it possible to feed a lower protein diet without increasing grains and other things that are probably not all that healthy for the dog either?

Kiri koli fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 7, 2013

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Kiri koli posted:

Is anyone familiar with the different protein contents of dog foods?

I just came across a study by Dr. Dodman (a vet behaviorist) at Tufts which suggested that a high protein diet (30+%) can exacerbate certain types of aggression in dogs because it makes tryptophan (a seratonin precursor) harder to utilize and that a low protein diet (17%) and/or a tryptophan supplement may be appropriate in some cases. Only one study is available as far as I can tell (and it has issues like smallish sample sizes), but it seems like something I should just go ahead and rule out.

I am waiting for my vet to call me back about whether there would be health issues with a low protein diet/tryptophan trial run with Psyche, but in the meantime, I am wondering if anyone here is careful about how rich in protein their dog's diet is. A low protein diet for a dog seems counter-intuitive to me in the first place (what do you replace it with, carbs? which carbs are good for dogs in larger amounts?) unless the dog has kidney problems. Also how can you tell how protein-rich a commercial dog food is? They only have to list a minimum correct?

We currently feed Blue Buffalo, which is listed as high protein on their website, though I can't find an actual percentage. I also use chicken as a training food a lot. Are there options out there for say a more medium protein based diet? Is it possible to feed a lower protein diet without increasing grains and other things that are probably not all that healthy for the dog either?
I haven't read that study, don't know much about this, and only have a minute, but a few things:

17% protein is very, very low. It's in fact lower than what AAFCO requires of dog food, so you're not going to find an over-the-counter diet with protein that low. The only way to get protein that low is to dilute it with fat or carbohydrates, and high-fat diets give dogs horrible diarrhea at best, so that only leaves carbs. If you go looking for dog foods with more like 18-20% protein, you're unfortunately going to find that there aren't many options other than a few pretty yucky, grocery store-quality foods that are 90% corn or whatever. The lowest protein OTC diets with good ingredients will probably be those labeled for "seniors" but they'll still probably be around 25% protein.

The protein "minimum" listed on Blue Buffalo is probably pretty accurate. Protein is the most expensive part of the diet, so it would be very unusual for a pet food to have significantly more protein than what's listed on the bag.

Royal Canin has a prescription diet called Calm which I believe came out in the US about a year ago. I don't know much about it other than that it's relatively low in protein, has lots of added tryptophan, and has some other added peptides and amino acids that are thought to be calming (alpha cazosepine and something else too IIRC). I think it's a lot of the stuff found in various "calming" chews and treats. The ingredient list probably isn't pretty, but it might be worth a try. I haven't heard much in the way of anecdotes, but it seems like worst case scenario is the dog doesn't like it (in which case RC would probably give you a refund) or it does nothing. If your vet doesn't carry it, they should be able to write you a script to get it online or elsewhere.

Edit: Oh hey, when you google Royal Canin Calm a $15 rebate comes up, good through the end of this month.

Crooked Booty fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 7, 2013

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005

Crooked Booty posted:

I haven't read that study, don't know much about this, and only have a minute, but a few things:

17% protein is very, very low. It's in fact lower than what AAFCO requires of dog food, so you're not going to find an over-the-counter diet with protein that low. The only way to get protein that low is to dilute it with fat or carbohydrates, and high-fat diets give dogs horrible diarrhea at best, so that only leaves carbs. If you go looking for dog foods with more like 18-20% protein, you're unfortunately going to find that there aren't many options other than a few pretty yucky, grocery store-quality foods that are 90% corn or whatever. The lowest protein OTC diets with good ingredients will probably be those labeled for "seniors" but they'll still probably be around 25% protein.

The protein "minimum" listed on Blue Buffalo is probably pretty accurate. Protein is the most expensive part of the diet, so it would be very unusual for a pet food to have significantly more protein than what's listed on the bag.

Royal Canin has a prescription diet called Calm which I believe came out in the US about a year ago. I don't know much about it other than that it's relatively low in protein, has lots of added tryptophan, and has some other added peptides and amino acids that are thought to be calming (alpha cazosepine and something else too IIRC). I think it's a lot of the stuff found in various "calming" chews and treats. The ingredient list probably isn't pretty, but it might be worth a try. I haven't heard much in the way of anecdotes, but it seems like worst case scenario is the dog doesn't like it (in which case RC would probably give you a refund) or it does nothing. If your vet doesn't carry it, they should be able to write you a script to get it online or elsewhere.

Edit: Oh hey, when you google Royal Canin Calm a $15 rebate comes up, good through the end of this month.

Thanks, that was really helpful to give me a point of reference. I figured 17% was really low and not really sustainable long term. The study suggests that, for a dog that is sensitive to high protein, results should be obvious in a week or two. So a short trial run may be enough to rule this out. I'll see what my vet says. I think they also carry Royal Canin, so I'll ask about that as well.

Edit: The Blue Buffalo we feed her has a min 34%.

vvvvv Yeah, at a minimum I figure it can't hurt to try her on a 20-25% food for a while. She doesn't seem to have any obvious problems with BB, but we've been feeding it for so long that we may not have a good baseline anymore when it comes to her behavior.

Kiri koli fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 7, 2013

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

For what its worth I talked to my vet behaviorist about that study a couple years ago and she was really not impressed with the study methods and said at least for me not to bother with it if I was happy with the food he was on. She does sell the royal canin calm food but I don't know which situations she recommends it for.

Personally, I find Major does better behaviorally on a lower protein/higher fiber diet because high protein foods make him more constipated because of his behavior meds and that makes him anxious and antsy in the house. It was never severe constipation, just slightly backed up, but it made a big difference on his behavior in the house. He's on fromm weight management gold and honest kitchen now and does better on these 21-25% protein foods with 6.5%+ fiber than he did on 34%+ protein foods even if I gave him extra fiber.

Edit:
Probiotics really helped him too. It has to be the kind my behaviorist recommended though, proviable. I thought they should all be the same but I can definitely tell the difference between the good stuff, the cheap ones, and nothing at all. When Maj's gut is happy his mind is happy. Something about the enteric nervous system.

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 7, 2013

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
NVM found one.

What would you guys recommend to get a dog to lose 7lbs or so? I was going to do the old fashioned cut calories, but how much. She's 52lbs and she should be more around 45. How much should I cut? I feed her Iams Healthy Naturals and it's about 1.5-2 cups a day.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 7, 2013

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Instant Jellyfish posted:

For what its worth I talked to my vet behaviorist about that study a couple years ago and she was really not impressed with the study methods and said at least for me not to bother with it if I was happy with the food he was on.

This. I have read the study, and the conclusion that is made by it is absolutely not supported by the data. There are a lot of "may" and "can" in the conclusion and abstract, and there is just no evidence that supports what they took away from it.

To be honest, I think the behavior world doesn't really have too much of an opinion of Dodman's work. He's primarily a vet, not a behaviorist, and the many of the conclusions he makes are just not supported by modern ethology.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005

ButWhatIf posted:

This. I have read the study, and the conclusion that is made by it is absolutely not supported by the data. There are a lot of "may" and "can" in the conclusion and abstract, and there is just no evidence that supports what they took away from it.

To be honest, I think the behavior world doesn't really have too much of an opinion of Dodman's work. He's primarily a vet, not a behaviorist, and the many of the conclusions he makes are just not supported by modern ethology.

Well that sucks considering he's listed as a vet behaviorist at tufts and that's the closest one to us. We are reconsidering seeing a vet behaviorist since she now has confirmed medical issues that may be related to her behavior.

Edit: actually he's the head of the tufts animal behavior department and seems to have a long history of working on animal behavior. I don't think he's mostly a vet but maybe he's not highly regarded as a behaviorist?

Kiri koli fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 7, 2013

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Kiri koli posted:

Well that sucks considering he's listed as a vet behaviorist at tufts and that's the closest one to us. We are reconsidering seeing a vet behaviorist since she now has confirmed medical issues that may be related to her behavior.

Edit: actually he's the head of the tufts animal behavior department and seems to have a long history of working on animal behavior. I don't think he's mostly a vet but maybe he's not highly regarded as a behaviorist?

I would say its just more a case of a subpar publication from (possibly) an otherwise decent researcher. I have no idea how he's regarded, but most labs have one or two meh papers, even if they are otherwise great (and I would say that's especially prevalent in biological fields because of how much other poo poo can influence their results).

spiderbot
Oct 21, 2012

Anyone from the UK got comments on Felix wet food? My train was late the other day and we are planning on getting a cat soon so I was checking out the cat food aisle in Sainsburys. The ingredient lists on the wet foods seem to be pretty much the same, but Felix has a greater % protien than Whiskas (13% vs 8%) so I'm thinking it might be better?

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Gar or anyone else who feeds Wellness Core (or any Wellness, I guess), does the consistency often change radically? I picked it up because HelloSailorSign spoke highly of it, but the latest batch has been mushy as hell. Looking around online, this seems to be a common problem that people are reporting with the new batches, but Wellness doesn't seem to be responding to it very well. :(

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

LoreOfSerpents posted:

Gar or anyone else who feeds Wellness Core (or any Wellness, I guess), does the consistency often change radically? I picked it up because HelloSailorSign spoke highly of it, but the latest batch has been mushy as hell. Looking around online, this seems to be a common problem that people are reporting with the new batches, but Wellness doesn't seem to be responding to it very well. :(

Yeah, the new chicken cans are mushy. We used it for years and never had an issue before now. The chicken mixes and non-chicken flavors seem OK, but I'm just waiting to get a batch of watery food the cat won't eat from those, too.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

LoreOfSerpents posted:

Exact same problem here, and my cat even started vomiting it back up. I returned the rest of my shipment to Amazon and put him back on Wellness Indoor dry for the time being (with lots of water added to the kibble each meal to compensate for lack of moisture). I know it's not as "good" as the canned food but frankly, every time I've tried to switch my cat to premium canned food, I've run into issues like these that ended with GI issues which went away entirely once he went back to good dry food. I think canned food is more sensitive to environmental conditions in the shipping process, and gets cooked in the high summer heat to the point that it's all ruined by the time you get it into your house. That's what seemed like the problem was to me, but if others are reporting the same thing, it could be something on Wellness's end.

Mocha Frost
May 1, 2006
Is it ok to never give cats dry food? Our little picky eaters, after lots of experimentation, will eat Merrick and they are both a healthy weight. But, we really only give them canned food, maybe once a week we'll put some dry food out, but is dry food something they should be eating on a regular basis, or would it be ok to just give them canned food?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Wet food only is fine and preferable. Dry food is just more convenient and cheaper.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

effika posted:

Yeah, the new chicken cans are mushy. We used it for years and never had an issue before now. The chicken mixes and non-chicken flavors seem OK, but I'm just waiting to get a batch of watery food the cat won't eat from those, too.
I was feeding the Core Salmon & Herring, but my cat didn't want to eat it after the texture changed. I have never seen him refuse wet food before.

I picked up a can of Core Chicken yesterday, and the texture is much better than what I got with the salmon flavor, but still mushier compared to a week or two ago.

Buff Skeleton posted:

I think canned food is more sensitive to environmental conditions in the shipping process, and gets cooked in the high summer heat to the point that it's all ruined by the time you get it into your house. That's what seemed like the problem was to me, but if others are reporting the same thing, it could be something on Wellness's end.
I'm in Seattle, so if the food is getting ruined by heat, it'd be a little weird. Google had some complaints about the texture going back into January. I'll see what Wellness responds with and I guess I'll try one of the other brands for now. :(

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

LoreOfSerpents posted:

Trophy gets Wellness core canned exclusively (with healthy indulgence once a week or so).
The beef/venison/lamb is almost always very very solid, the turkey/duck also seems to be very consistent in texture but not as solid as the beef. The chicken is sometimes rather mushy, and sometimes less mushy. It's the softest of the three, and I can rarely get the 1/3 can chunks out in one piece. I think it just has to do with the type of protein in the can, and have never worried about it. I do not feed anything w/ fish in it so I can't speak to those flavors.

Edit: I live in the desert and I'm rather certain heat isn't going to be a problem for you over in Seattle.

El Gar fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 10, 2013

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Got a recommendation for UK (well and some European) goons. Problem the UK (and Europe) has had is that theres never been any grain free dry dog foods produced in the UK, and only ones that you can get with any reliability are Orijen and Acana. Well thats all changed Eden Pet Foods, UK produced using all UK ingredients thats 80% meat and fish, 20% fruit and vegetables.

It is cheaper than Orijen (in the UK), yet has a very similar formula (arguably even better) and can even be got in VAT free form if you have working dogs straight from their website. They only sell in the UK, Ireland and Spain at the moment as they only launched 9 months ago but they are expanding fast due to the very high demand they are getting so will be only a matter of time till they are available in other countries.

Also the UK has a dog food compare site similar to dog food analysis, http://www.whichdogfood.co.uk/ . Simple site with only the foods that are actually available in the UK. Might be useful information for the OP as almost all the recommended on it can't be got in the UK/ Europe only really Acana and Orijen.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

As much as I can appreciate people trying to do good (or just sell their product) by talking about "Ancestral Diets" I still giggle uncontrollably thinking of those ancestral packs of pugs, snorting and snuffling their way across the wide open plains in search of their favorite prey...

Looks like a fine diet.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I've read/heard a few different things about puppy food. Is it really necessary or can I feed my 9 week-old Cane Corso adult food? I have Taste of the Wild High Prairie for our adult dog, will that give little baby Scuda everything she needs?

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Martello posted:

I've read/heard a few different things about puppy food. Is it really necessary or can I feed my 9 week-old Cane Corso adult food? I have Taste of the Wild High Prairie for our adult dog, will that give little baby Scuda everything she needs?

You need food that is either specifically described as "for all life stages" or for puppies. A maintainence diet is not formulated for puppies and can be lacking in nutrients that they need.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

wtftastic posted:

You need food that is either specifically described as "for all life stages" or for puppies. A maintainence diet is not formulated for puppies and can be lacking in nutrients that they need.

It says for all life stages so I guess I'm good. Thanks.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Wellness got back to me and were very nice about the situation. They did confirm that they often see texture changes particularly on a seasonal basis because of how the ingredients arrive, at least with the Core line. They said the food should still nutritionally be the same, but they want to be contacted whenever a pet refuses to eat the food.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

LoreOfSerpents posted:

Wellness got back to me and were very nice about the situation. They did confirm that they often see texture changes particularly on a seasonal basis because of how the ingredients arrive, at least with the Core line. They said the food should still nutritionally be the same, but they want to be contacted whenever a pet refuses to eat the food.

Thanks for reporting back. I'll give Wellness a heads-up next time I get a bad flat of chicken. Granted, my cat is a Persian/Siamese mix so she's full of neuroses, but maybe it'll help them get their QC act together.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Martello posted:

It says for all life stages so I guess I'm good. Thanks.

I consider Cane Corsos to be just at the line of giant breed, so I'd recommend a Giant Breed Puppy Food as opposed to normal puppy foods or other foods for all life stages. There are differences in calcium and phosphorus levels that can help decrease some strange growth patterns and effects in large/giant breeds that can sometimes otherwise be seen using "normal" diets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

So, in my ark we currently have 3 male cats, aged 11, 11 and 12. Both of the 11 year old cats are DSH tabbies that have had previous urinary blockage issues. One of them, Apollo, had a blockage issue so severe that he had to spend the weekend with a catheter at the hospital. He's also terrified of everything, and the other cats (and dog) bully him constantly. We have a baby gate set up at the stairs so that the dog can't get near him, so he lives in relative quiet an comfort.

Our big problem right now, however, is that while his vet-recommended specialty food has kept him blockage-free for the past 4.5 years since his incident, he poops water. Everywhere. We've tried probiotics, feliway, we constantly change his litter, etc. Still water pooping, and many times half out of the box.

Our vet recommended that his nerves might be so bad that he needs to be removed from the other animals altogether and just have his own room, but he gets really lonely. So we're looking at changing up his food:

Current: http://www.petfooddirect.com/Product/10117/Royal-Canin-Veterinary-Diet-Urinary-SO-Morsels-in-Gravy-Canned-Cat-Food

Proposed: http://www.petfooddirect.com/Product/7865/Iams-Veterinary-Formula-Urinary-S-Low-pH/S-Canned-Cat-Food

Any ideas here or other suggestions?

Apollo says thank you: