Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug
I also think that some projects are better suited to stretch goals than others. In the case of the recent wave of cRPGs the people making them had a lot of experience in the genre and assuming your initial budget covers the main quest the game concept is modular enough that you can easily "bolt on" stretch goals like additional playable races/classes or side-quest dungeons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
There's also the advantage of starting off with a more realistic goal and building up to more features, if there's enough demand.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Don't worry the new Kickstarter will be up next week with a reduced goal of $200k.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

I'm wondering if Epic is preparing a further lawsuit. The demo footage is almost certainly the one SK made; that means it was made using a stolen Unreal engine and Epic will want it destroyed.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

epitasis posted:

So I didn't actually back it when it was a Kickstarter but Expeditions: Conquistadors is absolutely an example of a success story for the platform. It's a really fun niche title and now I wish I had gotten in for the $5 discount or maybe nabbed the exclusive in-game stuff for backers.

Couldn't agree more with that. I bought Expeditions: Conquistador yesterday and I'm in love with it.

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.

Great Rumbler posted:

Couldn't agree more with that. I bought Expeditions: Conquistador yesterday and I'm in love with it.

I'd been waiting on buying it until I heard a bit more about it. Can you provide a bit of insight of how it plays?

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Krabkolash posted:

I'd been waiting on buying it until I heard a bit more about it. Can you provide a bit of insight of how it plays?

Here's some random thoughts I wrote up on another forum:

Expeditions: Conquistador is instantly familiar to anyone who's played Heroes of Might & Magic or King's Bounty, but it adds in more personality, more quests, and some randomized events along the way.

One of the big difference is how your party is handled. Each member is a unique character with their own personality and backstory, rather than just faceless soldiers that you replace whenever they get killed. Each member of your army can be upgraded through the use of pooled experience points or new equipment purchased in town.

World movement is free-form and allows a certain amount of movement per "day," after which time it's required for your party to camp. While in camp, you can assign tasks [hunting for game, guarding the perimeter, healing injured party members, and so on].

Towns and villages scattered throughout the world offer you quests, with rewards coming in the form of money generally [which you need to by daily rations for your troops and other things]. It gives you a reason to explore the hidden corners of the world.

There's a lot of dialogue in this game both from people you meet along the way and with your own party. It's not a huge thing, but it definitely adds to the overall experience.

Everything's a bit gray here, story-wise. The people you're working for aren't always altruists and the people you're coming up against aren't always blood-thirsty villains. Part of that is the historical context, with you playing a Spanish conquistador and often having to work with a loathsome local governor. But it all comes down to how you want to handle each situation, the game doesn't seem to push any one play style over another.

The combat is a little too standard, unfortunately. King's Bounty was great in this regard, giving you all kinds of crazy units and letting the main character directly affect the battle through the use of magic spells. Not the case, here, unfortunately. You get melee fighters, archers/riflemen, and healers. And you're fighting pretty much the same kinds of units. Some of that's just the nature of the setting, though, crazy fantasy world versus early 16th century Hispaniola.

My only other complaint so far is that you can't pull back the camera very far in the main field, sometimes making it difficult to see what all is nearby.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

BigFatFlyingBloke posted:

I also think that some projects are better suited to stretch goals than others. In the case of the recent wave of cRPGs the people making them had a lot of experience in the genre and assuming your initial budget covers the main quest the game concept is modular enough that you can easily "bolt on" stretch goals like additional playable races/classes or side-quest dungeons.
Yeah it's a pretty silly attitude to have by a game designer that should know better. Of course there's going to be things on a 'would be nice if' list in addition to core features.

Things like extra companions, more areas, more creatures, crafting, strongholds etc etc all make sense for certain genres. In fact I'd be hard pressed to think of many games that wouldn't have something (even cosmetic) that could be added to the game experience without disrupting the core idea but unneeded for the base game to be fully fleshed out.

Even less solid goals like 'increase the game size by 50%' which are a bit hard to define still let the people know where you think the budget is.

KuroKisei
Feb 17, 2004
conformist
Fantasyche: Mike - A Two-tier game dealing with Escapism looks like it could be interesting.

quote:

A unique RPG that attempts to deal with mature issues. Mike uses a escapist techniques to deal with his Depression.

Basically, you play as Mike and when you can't deal with reality, you become Super Mike! It could be genuinely interesting and deep, but it could also be very self-involved and angsty. I don't think I'll back it, but I'll look out for the reviews once the game is released.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I think I'm gonna back the Boss Fight Books kickstarter that just came out.

I love reading about video games more than I like playing them I am some kinda huge weirdo.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I think I'm gonna back the Boss Fight Books kickstarter that just came out.

I love reading about video games more than I like playing them I am some kinda huge weirdo.

I would, but Anna Anthropy generates the biggest :rolleyes: from me ever, and I am definitely not backing a project that has her writing.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Verdugo posted:

I would, but Anna Anthropy generates the biggest :rolleyes: from me ever, and I am definitely not backing a project that has her writing.

Why is she so lovely?

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Baloogan posted:

Why is she so lovely?

I dislike her writing style, immensely.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Massive Chalice has an update where they'll go streaming XCom at 4 pm PST.

DancingPenguin
Nov 27, 2012

I ish kakadu.

Verdugo posted:

But if I do not misunderstand the backer tiers, you could just get the other books?

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011

Great Rumbler posted:

It's amazing. It's a really, really good game.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

BenRGamer posted:

Massive Chalice has an update where they'll go streaming XCom at 4 pm PST.
Well I'm sold.

Edit: Should probably link it here: http://www.twitch.tv/doublefine

They're talking about the project and answering questions and stuff, so if you have doubts, now's your chance.

SupSuper fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 6, 2013

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

DancingPenguin posted:

But if I do not misunderstand the backer tiers, you could just get the other books?

Indeed, but I'd rather not contribute to a project that puts money in her pocket, so I'll hold off.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I'm tempted to back it purely for having a book on ZZT. So many childhood memories...

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Woah ZZT. I hadn't thought of that in ages. I actually would be curious about the history of ZZT.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The Machine posted:

But Cloud is in FFT!

I don't think he'd gone in to his whiny baby mode in FFT at least. That he meets the a flower girl named Aerith just adds some major tackiness to the whole thing though.

That his limits requiring the materia blade (a mediocre weapon) hurts him so much; add in that the limits have a charge time and he's pretty much worthless. He's probably the 2nd most hidden character, Byblos being #1, yet he's useless as hell. A friend used him and said with Short CT and Haste he's good but with Short CT and Haste even an Archer is probably good.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Evil Fluffy posted:

I don't think he'd gone in to his whiny baby mode in FFT at least. That he meets the a flower girl named Aerith just adds some major tackiness to the whole thing though.

That his limits requiring the materia blade (a mediocre weapon) hurts him so much; add in that the limits have a charge time and he's pretty much worthless. He's probably the 2nd most hidden character, Byblos being #1, yet he's useless as hell. A friend used him and said with Short CT and Haste he's good but with Short CT and Haste even an Archer is probably good.

He's only bad if you dupe items and give everyone the holy haste sword or are very high level. Otherwise he's above average. You can also delevel yourself, so only the first one is really a problem.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Verdugo posted:

I don't pay enough attention to speak to her whole body of work, but I could see how being some *artsy* *indie* *weirdo* type attention-seeker could be grating. However, I found both Rise of the Videogame Zinesters or whatever the gently caress it was called rather engaging and really neat conceptually, plus Dys4ia is a genuinely brilliant example of using a medium and language I intimately understand to relate emotionally to something that is completely foreign to my experiential envelope.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
Shalinor posted about the kickstarter for my game that is tentatively titled "ooh way too scary game" a few pages back, but I wanted to hop in and say something about it since we've got the ball moving a little bit on it.

The past few months have had me thinking about indie horror games and what they do right and wrong. I wrote quite a bit about my journey through a few indie horror games (mostly gathered from the thread), and the process of writing out my thoughts about the games led me to a pretty severe dissatisfaction with how indie horror, especially 2D horror, was going. On that tail end of that realization, I was like, "well, I'll just make my own."

Then I realized that my favorite piece of horror media is Ghostbusters. I started building an indie horror comedy game in Construct 2, and after implementing a few systems and having some conversations with people, I decided to kickstart the game. I set the initial goal at $125, which basically would buy me a few lunches and allow me to pay a friend for some music for the game. I made that much in a couple hours, and as of right now I'm at more than $700.

Part of the ethic of the game is that the kickstarter is allowing me to put more time and labor into the game than I first thought I would be able to--what I initially thought would probably be a ten minute game is now going to be over an hour. Additionally, the game is going to be free (like every other game I have made) when it is completed. Kickstarter contributors are essentially subsidizing the cost of the game so that it can be free for everyone, and I think that is pretty cool. My reward tiers are digitally based, with $10 getting you a copy of the ambient ritual metal soundtrack being made by Amatra.

I've also doubled down on some kind of SEGA Genesis-style promotional campaign where the art for the game is nothing like the game itself. There might also be a rap track in the style of "Go Ninja!" included on the soundtrack. Example:

Here's some art that goes with the gif that Shalinor posted before.

TL;DR - I'm making a game that is sort of scary and sort of funny and might not be successful at either of those things but you can throw money on a pile here.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I don't get why you have a kickstarter for that? Is it just to mock the entire indie horror game set from ideation to funding to conclusion? If so you can have my hipster irony money.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper

ikanreed posted:

I don't get why you have a kickstarter for that? Is it just to mock the entire indie horror game set from ideation to funding to conclusion? If so you can have my hipster irony money.
I'm not sure myself, but something like that. Maybe mocking the grandiose bullshit that comes with crowdfunding while also actually paying myself to make a game that people might unironically enjoy. I'm actually really surprised by the positive response so far.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Kunzelman posted:

I'm not sure myself, but something like that. Maybe mocking the grandiose bullshit that comes with crowdfunding while also actually paying myself to make a game that people might unironically enjoy. I'm actually really surprised by the positive response so far.

As someone who actually has to work to earn money I am offended by your kickstarter and its lack of even ironic quality. It is such a low content, no effort display that I am surprised it even can exist at all. But since I am not a gatekeeper I have no objection to it being there. From your Kickstarter content, I find your "metagame" thoughts to be a failure at communicating the ideas you are trying to express at any sort of passable quality level, when those ideas are even displayed. I wish you'd shape up your kickstarter page to clarify the thoughts you obviously have; I've read a few of your blog 'designing horror' posts.

As a goon, I say if people want to give you money to help you with your project that's totally fine by me. Good luck (and congratulations with your current success). I really wish you well, and I am proud (not that it matters to you) that you have chosen to try and monetize a developing skill. Seriously, good for you and the initiative you've sustained - most people can't even do that.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 6, 2013

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Just to let you guys know, my kickstarted project Bitcrobes is in for review tonight :) Thank you SA

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Project Eternity will theoretically at the end of this month have their engine complete and just have (lots) of content creation to do.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

This was brought up on the Greenlight thread. It's clever and beautiful and I want to see it happen.

As you can see, it's an adventure game in the style of American cartoons from nearly a century ago. When someone mentioned that the Sydney clock in the office picture is upside down I knew this was special. It's an European project (specifically, Spanish) and they are asking for 29.000€ on Indiegogo. 8€ gets you a copy (that's like $10). Get yours now.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

Coldrice posted:

Just to let you guys know, my kickstarted project Bitcrobes is in for review tonight :) Thank you SA

Great! Congrats. Here's hoping it turns out well for you.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Saoshyant posted:

When someone mentioned that the Sydney clock in the office picture is upside down I knew this was special.

:stare: I think I have an upside down Chilean bridge to sell you.

Australian stuff being upside down is a popular internet thing, like the chances of the developers coming up with it and it not just being taken from Reddit are pretty low.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Count Uvula posted:

Australian stuff being upside down is a popular internet thing, like the chances of the developers coming up with it and it not just being taken from Reddit are pretty low.

It's a rather overused theme in old cartoons that if you dig a hole deep enough you end up in China and that everything in Australia is just upside down. This didn't come out of some mouthbreather from the Internet, including the parts you appear to frequent. It's an established motif.

I pointed the clock because it's such a small detail on one scene that nearly nobody will notice, but that they got right. It's the sort of thing that shows they know what they are doing.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I didn't notice the clock (and yeah, 'Australia is upside-down' is a gag that's old enough to have grey hair), but the Monopoly gag got me. I'm looking forward to this.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I really wanna back them, but Indiegogo makes me hesitant as usual.

I'll maybe hold off on backing and buy it when it releases.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

Indiegogo makes me hesitant as usual.

Why? They didn't pick that flexible funding bullshit. It's fixed, just like Kickstarter. Indiegogo has proved to be a perfect crowdfunding platform for good projects like Skullgirls, Dominique Pamplemousse, 99 Spirits, and Ithaka of the Clouds.

This isn't the sort of popular project like Double Fine that you know will be funded without a doubt -- in fact I'll be surprised if they make through -- so buying it after release is not exactly an option you should put much weight into, really.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jun 6, 2013

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
This isn't in the Gaming section but maybe it should have been so it'd get more people needlessly throwing their money at it

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/451428293/ultraslickpowder-most-sliding-material-that-mankin?ref=category

Powdered teflon for your mouse

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
This is an interesting little article on gay marriage in Massive Chalice:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/06/06/how-kickstarter-got-gay-marriage-into-massive-chalice/#comment-page-2

And maybe part of the reason why it's good, sometimes, to not have a fully fleshed out game design well into alpha before you go to Kickstarter, if you're a company like Doublefine. Just don't read the comments.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Al! posted:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/06/06/how-kickstarter-got-gay-marriage-into-massive-chalice/#comment-page-2

And maybe part of the reason why it's good, sometimes, to not have a fully fleshed out game design well into alpha before you go to Kickstarter, if you're a company like Doublefine. Just don't read the comments.

"You are gay married. Congratulations your bloodline is now dead. GAME OVER"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Al! posted:

Not to be a dick, but I feel that gay marriage in a game where you forcibly marry people solely for purposes of procreation with no regard as to what they'd actually like to do is rather redundant.

"You're a demiromantic genderfluid transethnic femme of size (pronouns: xe, xem, xir)? Well that's lovely. Now start loving. I need that Spunk of +5 to Murderwizardry in you, like, nine months ago."

Megazver fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 6, 2013