Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Sure, I'm up for this (haha I have five meetings left to chair this week though)

Martello posted:

:frogsiren:Bonus option for this week:frogsiren:

Instead of using the actual prompt, write a CYOA chapter for this IDR fanfic thread in GiP. If you don't know anything about GiP forums superstar, tranny-hater/lover, and SOF Marine faker IDR (you don't) read this thread to get caught up.

I will personally judge all IDR fanfic entries. Winning the bonus option doesn't win you the week, but it does get you a new avatar or plat depending on preference, paid for by me.

I don't Know a single thing about American military, would I be severely handicapped?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
In.

The Duke of Avon
Apr 12, 2011

I'm in.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
There, glad that worked out. I'll be sitting this prompt out but luckily my job doesn't bleed into my weekends so I'll help judge if I'm needed.

Incidentally thanks to Phil & crabrock for taking a look at my piece.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

In, but, is that 1359 words exactly, or maximum?

Thanks to CancerCakes for the detailed criticism. I wasn't happy with that piece at all, this week I will do better.

Peel fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 5, 2013

FBH991
Nov 26, 2010

Chairchucker posted:

Dibs!

Old Testament Studies with Chairchucker.

Hello Thunderdome. An observation I've made over some past 'domes, is that 'domers love them some Biblically inspired prose sometimes, but they seem to be stuck on the New Testament. Which is a shame because frankly the Old Testament has some way cool stories of people getting invaded and cut into small pieces or whatever. So this week, we're going to be plagiarising getting inspiration from the part of the Bible that Jews also think is cool.

Just inspiration though. No Biblical characters allowed in any of your stories.

And to make doubly sure, genre is 'sci-fi'. (The broad definition that says if it has any futuristic crap in it, it counts as sci-fi.) And if you try to write Christ figure in space, God help you.

Once you sign up, I will personally assign you a passage of the Bible (with link to an easy to find version of it) to rip off mine for inspiration.

Sign ups close 2300 (11 pm) AUSTRALIAN EASTERN STANDARD TIME. That's +10 GMT so work it out you jerks, I always have to work out your heathen timezones.
Submissions close 12 noon on Monday, also AEST.

Word count: 1359 because apparently that's the date of Jesus' ascension in 2013.

I'll give it a shot.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Sure, I'm up for this (haha I have five meetings left to chair this week though)

I don't Know a single thing about American military, would I be severely handicapped?

Nah you can pretty much read that other thread - the wall of shame one in the goldmine - and know everything there is to know about IDR.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Chillmatic posted:

disclaimer: i was often called a harsh critiquer, though I do try to keep my own frustrations as a writer away from my criticisms. i also try to avoid strictly stylistic suggestions/revisions.

Overall I was impressed with the efficiency and cleanness of the prose and mostly the voice of the narrator. There were a few tics here and there that threw me out of it, and I would have much preferred a more clear sense of why our narrator's actions made him to be executed.

I also think just splitting up that last leviathan of a paragraph would go a long way towards some of that being clear; the reveal that the narrator told them (falsely?) that he was on the municipal council gets absolutely buried under all that other stuff.

Also you have a clear command of believable dialogue which is incredibly difficult for most writers to do, so well-done on that.

I'll try to do a few more of these before the day's out!

Just wanted to say thanks for this crit. It's my failure in communication, but the two major elements of the real story that might address your question would be (1) there are two different aristocrats, the second being Moneys, who was killed; and (2) neither of them were traitors, republicans, or spies and most likely neither of them said anything like "down with the emperor."

Also, re: the em dash suggestion for the "one- and two-footed varieties," those are two phrasal adjectives, each taking a hyphen.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Also, re: the em dash suggestion for the "one- and two-footed varieties," those are two phrasal adjectives, each taking a hyphen.

I had to stare at that paragraph for nearly three minutes until I figured out why I'd written that. I think it's because the break came at one of the hyphens and the way it read made me think you were trying to do a dash-break (like a parenthetical) and then go for the phrasal--hence why I didn't "correct" the second hyphen.

Best I can figure out, anyway, as to what I was thinking. Thanks for pointing that out!

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm in. Thanks for recognizing the most improved part. It was a poo poo ton lot more work than I expected, but worth it.

Other than Chillmatic, did I even get an official crit on my final work?

JonasSalk
May 27, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I am totally in. Gonna squirt some bible juice all over space.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

magnificent7 posted:

I'm in. Thanks for recognizing the most improved part. It was a poo poo ton lot more work than I expected, but worth it.

Other than Chillmatic, did I even get an official crit on my final work?

You've got one coming from me. I'll tell you right now, I actually laughed at your piece so you done good, dog.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
IN. :catholic:

Kaishai
Nov 3, 2010

Scoffing at modernity.

Nubile Hillock posted:

Still need a judge + prompt for me and jonas! Kaishai, I'm lookin at you....

Allrighty, then!

:siren: Nubile Hillock vs. JonasSalk Thunderbrawl: Last Wagon Train to Thermopylae :siren:

You both like ancient Greece, do you? So do I! The terms of your battle, therefore, are these: write a story inspired by Greek history and/or mythology through the Peloponnesian War--400 BC is your cut-off date. Your stories don't have to be set in that time period, although that would be acceptable. Write about archaeology or Space Spartans if you so choose; an imaginative interpretation will work in your favor if you pull it off. Just make sure you don't leave me wondering what the hell is so Greek about this entry.

I also wish your story to include a wagon in some way. Whether it's greater than the sum of its parts is irrelevant to me, Hillock, you weirdo.

Maximum word count: 1,100 words.
Deadline: Sunday, June 9, 11:59pm U.S. Eastern.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I'm in.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Hit me with a hot biblical injection.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012
Biblical sci-fi? Let's give this a shot.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Not gonna miss a chuckerprompt. I'm in.

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013
I'm in. Biblical sci-fi sounds good for my first Thunderdome attempt.

Found Sound
Jun 8, 2010

It's been too long, T-dome. Doin' it.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
:kimchi:

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Do you really :h: to fart?

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Yes. Ask my fiancee.

Although lately she's been rippin 'em left and right. Probably was bok choi last night.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

The Saddest Rhino posted:

We shouted down the one guy who tried to correct everybody on lingo, so, with that in mind, come on in, CCgoons!

e: I want to try this, I'm having too much fun writing about trannies

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 5, 2013

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

old dog child posted:

e: I want to try this, I'm having too much fun writing about trannies

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/d/danytran.htm ?

E: I looked at the thread, I assume I need to avoid talking about aviation

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Hell no, that guy is lame sperg. Do whatever you want.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

I'm in. It can't get any worse! (It can get exactly one degree worse.)

Fumblemouse
Mar 21, 2013

STANDARD
DEVIANT
Grimey Drawer
“I’m sorry,” you say, turning away momentarily from the suited man. “I just don’t trust you. Bringer of light? Do you think I’m an idiot?”

Spinning round, you strike the suited man on the head with your walking stick, with all of the force your new young body can manage - the full resentment and bitterness of every aged ache and pain unleashed. His head caves in with a weak crunch, but you don’t stop, raining blow after blow on his head, and then, when that is too insubstantial to strike, on his body.

Grabbing the suit, you pick up the remains. He is incredibly light, and when you throw him into the mouth of the Cave of Time he travels a fair distance, striking a wall and collapsing into a ragged heap. The crystal walls of the Cave glow red, then begin to fade away. Soon there is nothing to see but a few traces of blood and brain and the featureless cliff wall that was here twenty minutes ago.

With your heart beating and your mind racing, you clean yourself up in the nearby brook as best you can, but your clothes are now stained with the suited man’s blood. You wait in the woods until it’s dark, and sneak back to your home under cover of night. You burn your clothes, and set to work creating a new identity as your old self’s much younger cousin.

For the most part, you enjoy your new lease on life. You make new friends, and have new adventures with them in the world you have decided to stay in. You know you made the right decision because the bringer of light is Satan, isn’t it? It was a trap. He was trying to trap you and he deserved to die, because if he hadn’t it would have been your soul. That wasn’t really the Cave of Time. It was temptation. But you beat him, didn’t you. You beat the devil and now, here you are, young again. You won.

Every time you sleep you see his head breaking apart.

Fumblemouse fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jul 15, 2013

benem
Feb 15, 2012
My nubile virgin rear end is IN.

Erogenous Beef
Dec 20, 2006

i know the filthy secrets of your heart
gently caress it, I'm in. Going to try to poo poo something out even if I have to write it on beer coasters.

SpaceGodzilla
Sep 24, 2012

I sure hope Godzilla-senpai notices me~
In.

Kaishai
Nov 3, 2010

Scoffing at modernity.
In.

You doubt that Grace will talk your mother into a trip to China, so you decide not to worry about that. Your own plan is much more feasible. For years your mother and your uncle Zakhar have both bandied about the idea of you going overseas to visit him in Yakutsk. You spring the notion on your mother as soon as you get home, and after several phone calls and e-mails to Russia, everything is arranged: your trip begins three days after Christmas.

Uncle Zakhar meets you at the airport and drives you to his condo, which is tiny, but you're so glad to be off the plane and out of the shattering cold that you barely notice. For the first couple of days you stick to getting to know your uncle. Then, over dinner, you work chrome diopside into the conversation. "Sure, there are mines south of here," he says. "Far south."

"Could we visit?" you ask.

"You want to freeze your fingers off? Nothing is happening there now."

"Uncle Zakhar...." You decide to bring him in on the secret. "Have you heard about the Zopper Toothpaste treasure?"

His response is not what you hoped. He slams his palm against on the table. "This is why you came to see me in winter like a crazy person. I'm your hotel so you can play the hunting game. No! I won't take you to the mines. I don't want to hear about it again."

He's harsh, but he's not wrong, and guilt almost stops you from borrowing his car, some money, and a credit card the next day to make for the mines on your own. You promise yourself that when you find the treasure, buying a house larger than a closet for Uncle Zakhar will be your very first act.

Driving around in a foreign country, in a "borrowed" vehicle, with a learner's permit and maps you can't read isn't the easiest way to conduct a hunt, however. It's fortunate that you find men who speak English in a gas station between Yakutsk and the mining town of Aldan. They're willing to point you toward a productive mining site in exchange for cash bribes, but their laughter follows you out to the car.

You reach the site at night. Instead of the openings into underground shafts that you imagined, the mine is a wide bowl, a quarry, open to the snow and sky. Looking south, you spot three familiar stars: Orion's Belt. Orion! The Hunter! Excitement drives away all your doubts--though they rush back as you consider the pale blanket that hides everything but the general shape of the earth.

Taking a flashlight from Uncle Zakhar's glove compartment, a shovel and snowshoes from his trunk, you creak slowly down into the bowl. Digging aimlessly won't get you anywhere; the site is far too big. You shine your light around, and you think you see an answering glint to your left! A reflection? Another light? Is someone else here? Or could the flash have come from a marker left by Mr. Zopper?

If you want to investigate the glint, turn to Page 9.

If you sit tight and watch to see whether the light comes back, turn to Page 18.

Kaishai fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 15, 2013

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

in

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
Never read the bible, but I have seen Spaceballs almost four times, so I'm in.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Well I've read the Bible and seen Spaceballs, so I guess I'm double in.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
In.

STILL NEED A BRAWLJUDGE SOMEONE GODDAMN VOLUNTEER

Kaishai
Nov 3, 2010

Scoffing at modernity.

Nubile Hillock posted:

GODDAMMIT HILLOCK LEARN TO READ IT'S ON THIS PAGE AND EVERYTHING.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nubile Hillock posted:

In.

Nelsonmuntz.gif

I'm lazy as poo poo and need to fix that, so I'll do crits for this brawl as well.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Judges were too slow, so I am out this week. I'll throw a poo poo crit at the last newbie to submit before the deadline, because I am public spirited like that. Also my majorly reworked smallpox story is going to the farm at somepoint. be excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

JonasSalk posted:

Well, this was an okay story. I see what you was going for, but again, I think this could use some cutting. Devil Michael Jackson was totally unnecessary and took focus off of the Dancing Queen. For the most part, it was well written, and I'm sure the little things I caught, you'd catch in a rewrite.

I had a friend read my story after I posted it and she didn't get the Michael Jackson part. (Although Jesus still works) It's a relief that some get it. I thought it would add a spin to the mystery but I would need to make it a lot stronger to pull it off. Thanks.

I will be in this week. I love the Old Testament.

• Locked thread