Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...
Where does everyone always find this graffiti to park and take pictures in front of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

Where does everyone always find this graffiti to park and take pictures in front of.

You gotta get in touch with the street yo

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Shut up, Manny.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Throatwarbler posted:

The wonders of Body-on-Frame car construction. :allears:

Everyone drive giant pickup trucks because they're safe!

Astros are unibody.
I really liked the 2000 LS model we had before my wife decided she wanted something more efficient. Never mind that the Astro was paid for, and we could have bought a shitload of gas for the cost of the new car payment...

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Darchangel posted:

Astros are unibody.

Eh, they're kind of a mix. The rear frame rails are integrated into the load floor but they are very beefy, and the front subframe bolts on behind the driver. It's like GM bolted on the wobbly front half of a Malibu to a wobbly packing crate. Or a tall El Camino, now that I think about it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

wallaka posted:

Eh, they're kind of a mix. The rear frame rails are integrated into the load floor but they are very beefy, and the front subframe bolts on behind the driver. It's like GM bolted on the wobbly front half of a Malibu to a wobbly packing crate. Or a tall El Camino, now that I think about it.

Nah, El Caminos were full frame.
It's actually closer to a Camaro in platform construction.

Creative Bicycle
Apr 19, 2001

I have a hole!

2013 Base model (ST1) Focus ST, first new car I've ever owned, pretty goddamned happy with it after just running through my first tank of gas.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

My 9-3 is succumbing to main bearing failure and bankrupting me at 22mpg so I got something a bit cheaper to run.

Almost identical wheelbase to my landrover and the same horsepower as the landrover yet just over half the weight. Much cheaper than a fiat panda/500. Toyota Aygo:

It also only costs £20 roadtax per year (vs £280 for the saab), gets 50-70mpg and is like a fun little go cart that sounds like it has a tiny v6 in (its an i3) and somehow has more leg/head room than the 9-3. Thought i might hate it, actually like it!

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

Street view Clarion Alley and Mission St. in San Francisco

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

I was driving by and could not resist.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Darchangel posted:

Nah, El Caminos were full frame.
It's actually closer to a Camaro in platform construction.

Yeah but it's all G-body suspension. All the components swap. Ah, GM. The writing was on the wall in 1980. This is what happens when the accountants carry more weight than the engineers.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
So I bought a thing! It's an '82 911 SC, and it already has a special place in my heart (the part that's 8 years old).

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Good buy! That's exactly what I want.

What needs to be done?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What needs to be done?

He needs to drive the loving poo poo out of it every chance he gets that's what needs done I tell you what.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Good buy! That's exactly what I want.

What needs to be done?

Well the tires are 13 years old, so that comes first, but aside from that nothing. It's kind of a peach. When the clutch eventually goes I'll rebuild the transmission--the synchros are worn but no difficulties shifting. Okay okay okay, the paint is rough in places, but I think a good polish may restore it some, and some chips and minor scrapes don't bother me too much.

Rhyno posted:

He needs to drive the loving poo poo out of it every chance he gets that's what needs done I tell you what.

Also this. I've goofed around a little but those tires really need replacing before I get too crazy.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

That's beautiful, congrats!

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
I've been looking at 80s 911s and it looks like the prices for the non-turbo aren't to bad. I'd love to pick up a Carrera.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Dave Inc. posted:

Well the tires are 13 years old, so that comes first, but aside from that nothing. It's kind of a peach. When the clutch eventually goes I'll rebuild the transmission--the synchros are worn but no difficulties shifting.

Are you sure about this? Your car has the venerable 915 transaxle, which has never been a smooth, slick shifting box by any measure. Certainly not like the 87+ G50 cars, that's for sure.

Either way, that's a pretty awesome car you've got.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

MrChips posted:

Are you sure about this? Your car has the venerable 915 transaxle, which has never been a smooth, slick shifting box by any measure. Certainly not like the 87+ G50 cars, that's for sure.

If you know what you're dealing with and shift it like a truck, it's fine. That's part of the experience, imo.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

G-Mach posted:

I've been looking at 80s 911s and it looks like the prices for the non-turbo aren't to bad. I'd love to pick up a Carrera.
Yeah they're not too expensive right now, but maintenance is always going to be expensive. I got this one for $17.5k, which was about $500 higher than what the inspection tech said would be a great price and $500 lower than the seller's bottom dollar. I think good 3.2Ls from the late '80s are still $30k+.

MrChips posted:

Either way, that's a pretty awesome car you've got.
Like I said it's not that bad, but by the time the clutch needs to be replaced I think 2nd gear, at least, will need a new synchro. The nice thing is that the PO replaced all the shifter bushings so it's not wobbling all over like some of the SCs I drove.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Dave Inc. posted:

So I bought a thing! It's an '82 911 SC, and it already has a special place in my heart (the part that's 8 years old).

I've been looking at these as well as some of the "comparable" cars in that price range. Nice find, replace the tires then enjoy driving a great car.

Unreal Fantasy
Oct 18, 2004

Splender
Nov 11, 2012

Revel in the gloriously handsome sight of my insane pectorals
I bought my first car! £1350 206 1.4 GLX from 2003

Love her.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Splender posted:

Love her.

Very cool! Wish we could get them in the States, reminds me of a mid-90's civic hatch.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Is there a reason we don't get them here, anyways?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah. Peugeot pulled out of the US after the 405 due to lackluster sales. I don't think they're planning a comeback anytime soon.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Tomarse posted:

My 9-3 is succumbing to main bearing failure and bankrupting me at 22mpg so I got something a bit cheaper to run.

Almost identical wheelbase to my landrover and the same horsepower as the landrover yet just over half the weight. Much cheaper than a fiat panda/500. Toyota Aygo:

It also only costs £20 roadtax per year (vs £280 for the saab), gets 50-70mpg and is like a fun little go cart that sounds like it has a tiny v6 in (its an i3) and somehow has more leg/head room than the 9-3. Thought i might hate it, actually like it!

I had the Citroen version as a hire car for a few days, enjoyed driving it, and decent space with the seats down surprisingly. Having said that I probably enjoyed it because it was a hire car and I wasn't paying for fuel so I just ragged the living daylights out of it. I think I saw an indicated 100mph in third.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Splender posted:

Love her.

This is gonna sound creepy as all gently caress, is this outside Camberley Auto Factors in Yateley?

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Very nice, great color. I love mine, but sometimes wish I'd gotten a color other than black. I think I've seen you post it on AZ recently, no?

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Dave Inc. posted:

Yeah they're not too expensive right now, but maintenance is always going to be expensive. I got this one for $17.5k, which was about $500 higher than what the inspection tech said would be a great price and $500 lower than the seller's bottom dollar. I think good 3.2Ls from the late '80s are still $30k+.

Like I said it's not that bad, but by the time the clutch needs to be replaced I think 2nd gear, at least, will need a new synchro. The nice thing is that the PO replaced all the shifter bushings so it's not wobbling all over like some of the SCs I drove.

Not too expensive? They've been appreciating significantly in the past 5-7 years. In 08 after the crash I almost picked up basically what you have for $10k, but decided to "play it smart" and save my money. Little did I know the smart play would have been to buy the car because without any big changes it would have been worth $20k around here today :( :(

So yeah, hold on to it and enjoy it :)

Unreal Fantasy
Oct 18, 2004

DropShadow posted:

Very nice, great color. I love mine, but sometimes wish I'd gotten a color other than black. I think I've seen you post it on AZ recently, no?

yessir, i dont post often, usually only after ive changed something to the car. i actually just had the ECS honeycomb grill installed, im very interested to see the differences between ECS and the massdrop grills.

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

Across the street from my work -- Berwick Place, SF.

http://yelp.com/biz/berwick-place-murals-san-francisco-2

The Yelp pics even caught a glimpse of the flared out AE86 that used to live there.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

stump posted:

I had the Citroen version as a hire car for a few days, enjoyed driving it, and decent space with the seats down surprisingly. Having said that I probably enjoyed it because it was a hire car and I wasn't paying for fuel so I just ragged the living daylights out of it. I think I saw an indicated 100mph in third.

That would surprise me a lot, considering that's right around its top speed in 5th :v:

stump
Jan 19, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

That would surprise me a lot, considering that's right around its top speed in 5th :v:

Yeah, surprised me too, as the top speed is 98! I figure the speedo must have been overreading a decent bit, but I never got a chance to GPS it.

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?
Oh god. How goony do I come off:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEVjFgnPRyQ

http://www.importmeet.com/blog/2013/06/07/2006-mitsubishi-evolution-mr-nathan-wood-2013-imscc-competitor/

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

haha You definitely look intimidated but I really liked the video. I love your car and how you've modded it.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Unreal Fantasy posted:

yessir, i dont post often, usually only after ive changed something to the car. i actually just had the ECS honeycomb grill installed, im very interested to see the differences between ECS and the massdrop grills.

I saw you post over on AZ too. That's a beautiful color you have there!

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?

travisray2004 posted:

haha You definitely look intimidated but I really liked the video. I love your car and how you've modded it.

Thanks! Yea, I was a bit nervous and fell over myself with what I was trying to remember to say. At one point they went "just pause for a second and do it again. You don't need to tell us you're gonna try again every time."

Meh. I think I got a good shot in this. Putting out 460 to the wheels and car weighs around 3100.

nollij fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 7, 2013

turnerburna
Jan 11, 2005
Cobra Commander

Darko posted:

As I posted in the "bad pic" thread, I actually got this car a month ago, but someone stole her the next day while I was out to eat, took the wheels, and caused 20k in damage from pushing it down the street, stuffing it, and not even putting it on blocks when taking the wheels.

The outside of the car had to basically be hand put back together with some underside work as well, it took a little more than a month (with me driving a rented Volkswagon Passat in the meantime), and I gave it the detailed look-through today. The dealer's shop did an excellent job overall, with all OEM parts that I can find. Looks like nothing ever happened, really. i took a bunch of pics for reference, and I'll share a few of the "normal" shots here:

What city were you in? I'll take a wild guess and say you were in midtown when it happened. I have the same car (pg 173) and I always get worried about leaving it somewhere overnight because of the wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

KozmoNaut posted:

I'd believe it!, thought I've not yet tried it!. You can slip onto the motorway and go straight into overtaking people in the outside lane in third.

I'm not sure what your actual speed is when the speedo says 100 as I'm sure it over-reads. I'll GPS it at some point soon and see how accurate it is.