Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Mighty Switch Force 2 (3DS) trailer AND release date!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM3OUa-T6iM

Out next week (June 13) in NA and on June 27 in PAL-land (including AU/NZ).

(Shantae GBC will be hitting the 3DS VC on the 20th, too.)

Talen_Soti posted:

PaletteSwappedNinja, do you have the NA updates yet?

Nope. NOE almost always puts out their press release on a Monday, whereas NOA does it on Thursday, a few hours before the update goes live. I might occasionally get advance notice for some specific game but it's not a regular thing (although it is becoming more common now that publishers can pick their own dates).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talen_Soti
Mar 30, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Nope. NOE almost always puts out their press release on a Monday, whereas NOA does it on Thursday, a few hours before the update goes live. I might occasionally get advance notice for some specific game but it's not a regular thing (although it is becoming more common now that publishers can pick their own dates).

Ahh, thank you. Since I got my 3DS you've been my source of updates!

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

I just played the Project X Zone demo and I have absolutely no idea what was happening or have any understanding of any of the mechanics at all and it was kind of fun.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Can somebody give me a quick rundown about hat kind of game Dempa Men 2 is? Specifically, what is the combat like? Would I have to play the first one to understand the second? And finally, if I never take my 3DS out of the house to scan for characters, or however it's done, will I still be able to enjoy it? I would read some reviews but I trust you guys more, you haven't let me down recommendation wise yet.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Sarchasm posted:

Eh. The problem with this is that a lot of D&D comes down to positioning and spacing, and there's absolutely none of that in Crimson Shroud. It looks like a table-top RPG (and even has an occasional skill check), but that's really where the comparison ends. The actual gameplay just boils down to really bland you-hit-me-I-hit-you JRPG battles.

I wasn't a fan. I say skip it, even for the $5 sale price.

It doesn't play a lot like modern D&D, but the narration style is exactly, dead-on, a DM talking to the players.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

loudog999 posted:

Can somebody give me a quick rundown about hat kind of game Dempa Men 2 is? Specifically, what is the combat like? Would I have to play the first one to understand the second? And finally, if I never take my 3DS out of the house to scan for characters, or however it's done, will I still be able to enjoy it? I would read some reviews but I trust you guys more, you haven't let me down recommendation wise yet.
The combat system is turn based but all the animations are pretty fast so battles don't take long, and you also have some auto attack options (like just attack without using magic, attack and heal when necessary, do anything) that can speed it up even more and are actually pretty useful because Denpa Men can change their own orders depending what happens on a turn (for example if a party member gets downed by an enemy that turn they can change their queued up move to revive them) which you can't do when picking moves yourself at the start of a turn.
Literally all you need to know about the first game is that your primary Denpa Man is the main character and in the first game his girlfriend gets captured by the King of Evil, you rescue her and then they get married. Or so I assume anyway, I stopped playing the first game after rescuing her and being given the mission to find an object to be used as a wedding ring because that required a lot of grinding and when I started the second game I don't feel like I missed anything at all. At this point if you haven't played the first game I would just advise to skip it, the first game is literally just selecting dungeons from a menu and grinding through them which is a real good way to get burned out, while the second game actually has an overworld to explore and towns and things.

Your last question is a bit more difficult to answer. Scanning for characters is basically just using your 3DS in an area where there are wi-fi networks (you don't have to be able to connect to them, the 3DS just needs to see them) so assuming there are people near you that have wi-fi then you should be able to get enough Denpa Men to have a full party and maybe a couple in reserve. If you never got any Denpa Men from any other wi-fi networks then this would be your party for the entire game unless you scanned QR codes you find on the internet. The downside to this is that QR code characters always come in at level 1 and if you lose them (by having them die in the overworld and not reviving them before the end of the fight, or having them die in a dungeon then leaving before reviving them) then they are gone and you need to scan them in at level 1 again, whereas Denpa Men from wi-fi networks are always found around your level and when you lose them you can find them again from that wi-fi network with their level intact or pay a fee to get them back if you don't want to go to that network again. Denpa Men do gain experience even if they are in reserve and not in the party, but constantly using QR codes means you either have to wait for them to catch up to your party or you will be constantly healing them.
The main problem with restricting your party is that the game heavily uses weaknesses and resistances and with the shared experience it really encourages you to change up your party whenever you get to a new area with different elemental enemies instead of picking one party and sticking to it. You can alleviate this with equipment that gives you elemental attacks or resistances to elements, but they usually cost a lot of money if you are looking to outfit your whole party.

There is a demo of the first game on the eShop (and there was meant to be a demo of the second but it's not there so I dunno if it's just delayed or not coming) if you want to get a basic look at the game and battle system, but just keep in mind that the second game is a straight upgrade of the first.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Pyrovile posted:

The combat system is turn based but all the animations are pretty fast so battles don't take long, and you also have some auto attack options (like just attack without using magic, attack and heal when necessary, do anything) that can speed it up even more and are actually pretty useful because Denpa Men can change their own orders depending what happens on a turn (for example if a party member gets downed by an enemy that turn they can change their queued up move to revive them) which you can't do when picking moves yourself at the start of a turn.
Literally all you need to know about the first game is that your primary Denpa Man is the main character and in the first game his girlfriend gets captured by the King of Evil, you rescue her and then they get married. Or so I assume anyway, I stopped playing the first game after rescuing her and being given the mission to find an object to be used as a wedding ring because that required a lot of grinding and when I started the second game I don't feel like I missed anything at all. At this point if you haven't played the first game I would just advise to skip it, the first game is literally just selecting dungeons from a menu and grinding through them which is a real good way to get burned out, while the second game actually has an overworld to explore and towns and things.

Your last question is a bit more difficult to answer. Scanning for characters is basically just using your 3DS in an area where there are wi-fi networks (you don't have to be able to connect to them, the 3DS just needs to see them) so assuming there are people near you that have wi-fi then you should be able to get enough Denpa Men to have a full party and maybe a couple in reserve. If you never got any Denpa Men from any other wi-fi networks then this would be your party for the entire game unless you scanned QR codes you find on the internet. The downside to this is that QR code characters always come in at level 1 and if you lose them (by having them die in the overworld and not reviving them before the end of the fight, or having them die in a dungeon then leaving before reviving them) then they are gone and you need to scan them in at level 1 again, whereas Denpa Men from wi-fi networks are always found around your level and when you lose them you can find them again from that wi-fi network with their level intact or pay a fee to get them back if you don't want to go to that network again. Denpa Men do gain experience even if they are in reserve and not in the party, but constantly using QR codes means you either have to wait for them to catch up to your party or you will be constantly healing them.
The main problem with restricting your party is that the game heavily uses weaknesses and resistances and with the shared experience it really encourages you to change up your party whenever you get to a new area with different elemental enemies instead of picking one party and sticking to it. You can alleviate this with equipment that gives you elemental attacks or resistances to elements, but they usually cost a lot of money if you are looking to outfit your whole party.

There is a demo of the first game on the eShop (and there was meant to be a demo of the second but it's not there so I dunno if it's just delayed or not coming) if you want to get a basic look at the game and battle system, but just keep in mind that the second game is a straight upgrade of the first.

Thanks, I was thinking that it would be sort of like street pass, which I never find in the wild. If all it takes to find more men is finding different networks I'm good. Nintendo should thank you for your response, you just sold a copy of the game.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hey, this is possibly the thread's first Japanese eShop update:

3DS

Downloadable Titles
Swords and Soldiers 3D - 800 yen
Touch Battle Sensha 3D - 2 (Touch Battle Tank 2) - 500 yen
peakvox Cube Tactics - 800 yen
Maru Gōkaku! Tatsuken Shiken - 2,800 yen
Kuma Tomo DEMO - FREE

Virtual Console
Famicom Mukashi-banashi Shin Onigashima (zengohen) (Famicom) - 500 yen
Ganbare Goemon Gaiden Kieta Ōgon Kiseru (Famicom) - 500 yen

Wii U

Downloadable Titles
Rabids Land (retail title) - 4,200 yen

Virtual Console
Super Mario Bros. (Famicom) - 500 yen
Punch-Out!! (Famicom) - 500 yen

There's a video for Cube Tactics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2nHXCQSC_o

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
^^I think next week's schedule is already out, too, I might post it later. 3DS is getting Clu Clu Land and another Kunio-Kun game, I remember that much.

Anyway, Keiji Inafune's Bugs vs. Tanks (the second Guild02 game) will be out next week in NA (and probably PAL-land, too). No price just yet.

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

ASK ME WHAT MAKES ME THINK I'M SO FUNKY

^^I think next week's schedule is already out, too, I might post it later. 3DS is getting Clu Clu Land and another Kunio-Kun game, I remember that much.

Also, more Picross. :getin:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Right, I knew I forgot something big.

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001
Why does Jupiter hate America? the Picross-e Games are already translated into English for EU, I presume, so why the hell don't we have any? Between that and no Lolo on 3DS, I'm sad. I want so badly to give these companies my money, but they simply don't want it. I would write to them and ask why they don't want my money, but I don't speak Japanese and Jupiter didn't even seem to have an email listed on their website, so I just emailed Nintendo about it. Probably won't do any good, but I have to share my pain with someone.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Jupiter's contact info doesn't show up on the English version of the site but it's there on the Japanese one, so I guess they just aren't able to handle/respond to English messages.

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001

Jupiter's contact info doesn't show up on the English version of the site but it's there on the Japanese one, so I guess they just aren't able to handle/respond to English messages.

gently caress it. I'll send them a poorly auto-translated request. Thanks for the heads up.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
I'm about halfway through Bugs vs. Tanks.
The battle system remains dull--all you do is aim your turret and/or chassis at bugs to shoot automatically.
The fun lies in collecting WW2 vintaqe tanks. Just got a Tiger I last night, and collected Panzer V, Cromwell, Crusader, T34/85, and M4A3 the night before. If that gobbledygook means anything to you, BvT might be for you. I paid $4 for it, so I can't complain, but it's pretty crappy as a tank game.

Since Level 5 has all their download games for half price in Japan for another week or so, I also bought Attack of the Friday Monsters.
This one's a tougher sell. If Ultramna nostalgia wrapped in a kind of talky JRPG in 1970-ish Tokyo sounds appealing, by all means.
However, even for me, who grew up in that selfsame place and time, it's kind of tedious.
There's also a card-based battle system played under paper-scissor-rock rules using monster cards you get by picking up sparkly rocks off the ground. It's not very deep, though. I haven't gotten into the actual monster fighting scenes after a couple hours, but I don't think I should be holding my breath for kaiju rampage.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
If you buy a game now in the 3DS eShop, when's the latest you can complete the registration (not post-play) survey on Club Nintendo? Wondering if they are inching past July 1st yet.

I know the post-play surveys go pretty late (I'm seeing expiration dates in September for eShop titles I bought in May), but the window for registration surveys is way shorter.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of June 6):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    ZombiU - €29.99 / £24.99 (permanent price reduction)
    Just Dance 4 - €29.99 / £24.99 (permanent price reduction)
    Ben 10 Omniverse - €29.99 / £29.99 (permanent price reduction)
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Spelunker (NES) - €4.99 / £4.49
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    50% off Ghosts 'n Goblins if you own Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts! (Wii U VC) - ends June 6
    Spelunker (Wii U VC) - €3.49 / £2.39 until June 13
    Trine 2: Directors Cut (Wii U eShop) - 50% off until June 27
    Super Metroid (SNES VC Trial Campaign) - €0.30 / £0.30 until June 14

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Tetris - €9.99 / £8.99
    Fire Emblem Awakening DLC
  • Rogues and Redeemers #1 (Ephraim, difficulty ****) - €2.49 / £2.29
  • Rogues and Redeemers Pack (contains Ephraim, Celica [****] and Ike [*****]) - €5.99 / £5.39
  • Future Past #1 ("glimpse into the future", difficulty ****) - €2.49 / £2.29
  • Future Past Pack (contains Future Past #1, #2 [****] and #3 [*****]) - €5.99 / £5.39
DSiWARE
    Jewel Quest 4 Heritage - 800 Points / €7.99 / £7.19
    Break Tactics - 500 Points / €4.99 / £4.49
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (3DS VC) - €4.99 / £4.49 until June 20
    The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (3DS VC) - €4.99 / £4.49 until June 20

NA update (week of June 6):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth - $29.99 (permanent price reduction)
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Yoshi (NES, VC Trial Campaign) - $0.30 from June 12
    Spelunker (NES) - $4.99
WII VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Sengoku 3 (Neo Geo) - 900 Points / $8.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Super Metroid (Wii U VC Trial Campaign) - $0.30 until June 14[/i]
    Trine 2: Directors Cut (Wii U eShop) - $9.99 until June 27

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Animal Crossing: New Leaf (June 9) - $34.99
3DS eSHOP
    Groove Heaven - $3.99
3DS ADD-ON CONTENT
    Fire Emblem Awakening DLC
  • Future Past 3 ("glimpse into the future", difficulty *****) - $3.00
  • Apotheosis (Katarina/Supreme Emblem, difficulty MAX) - $2.50
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (3DS VC) - $4.99 until June 20
    The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (3DS VC) - $4.99 until June 20

No idea if NA is getting the same Spelunker discount as PAL-land, it's not mentioned on the press release.

Also not on the press release: Mighty Switch Force HD, which is finally getting an AU/NZ release today. There's also a worldwide update that adds some audio-related changes and other stuff.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
That's a pretty terrible week for WiiU eShop. Really disappointing after three weeks of really good stuff.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

greatn posted:

That's a pretty terrible week for WiiU eShop. Really disappointing after three weeks of really good stuff.

Considering Animal Crossing's release, I can understand that they'd be focused on that. As long as people are taking advantage of the deals when they are up, that's all that matters. And there are some new price reductions and games that aren't to bad atm, Trine and Yoshi are definite gems.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

greatn posted:

You should wait till that trend reverses before complaining.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Minidust posted:

If you buy a game now in the 3DS eShop, when's the latest you can complete the registration (not post-play) survey on Club Nintendo? Wondering if they are inching past July 1st yet.

I know the post-play surveys go pretty late (I'm seeing expiration dates in September for eShop titles I bought in May), but the window for registration surveys is way shorter.

I bought Denpa Men 2 like a week ago and it gave me Jun. 29 (:negative:) so I think you're probably safe now.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Spiffster posted:

Yoshi ... definite gems.
Yoshi is almost certainly the worst first-party NES game ever released. I'll fight anyone who says otherwise. :colbert:

but hey it's 30 cents so whatever i'll probably get it

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Why couldn't it been Yoshi Cookie instead. I probably download this at some point, but no rush to grab it unlike Super Metriod.

Also their "Deal Page" has the low entry about all NES game being $5 for this week "deal". :effort:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Yoshi is so horrible, but at 30 cents, eh...

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
Finished playing Attack of the Friday Monsters.
It's terrible. Lame story presented in Layton style with no battles and only "go talk to this character" challenges.
It's supposed to be nostalgic to people like me, but it's nothing short of juvenile, wimpy, and cliched.
And, it only clocked in at a shade over three hours.
Seriously, save your money and don't touch this with a bargepole.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Are the 3DS and WiiU versions of Mighty Switch Force the exact same game and if not, which is the best one to get?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Are the 3DS and WiiU versions of Mighty Switch Force the exact same game and if not, which is the best one to get?

The WiiU version has better visuals and I believe extra stages

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Yeah, Yoshi is a pretty boring puzzle game, made worse by the fact that, by the time it was released, the NES already had plenty of much better puzzle games.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I seriously can't believe they're sticking to just putting out 2 VC games a week. At this rate it'll take them four years to catch up with the Wii Virtual Console. Four. Years.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Quest For Glory II posted:

I seriously can't believe they're sticking to just putting out 2 VC games a week. At this rate it'll take them four years to catch up with the Wii Virtual Console. Four. Years.

I wish they would just put a ton of games up and have different sales each week.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I don't know why they didn't put more out this week then Yoshi and the very forgettable Splunker game.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

They might want to do one of their "And it's available, right now as of this Nintendo Direct, only on the eShop" with a few titles instead. E3 is next week and they have at least one Direct do deliver before it starts.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I think the Yoshi puzzle game is pretty terrible, but it will be worth it for the .30 cents just for the +10 points you get for club Nintendo.

Edit: Also i'm 3 points away exactly from another $5 code through the digital deluxe program :dance:.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 6, 2013

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Quest For Glory II posted:

It's honestly ridiculous that the Wii VC library didn't carry over to the WiiU.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Yoshi's awful garbage but Spelunker owns, you dummies. :colbert:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Rirse posted:

Yeah, I don't know why they didn't put more out this week then Yoshi and the very forgettable Splunker game.

Forgettable? Did you not ever actually play Spelunker?

There's a reason it had a gag strip comic running for over a decade and received an HD remake. It's definitely not because it was "forgettable" :v:

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Emalde posted:

There's a reason it had a gag strip comic running for over a decade

Eh?

Is Spelunker worth the bones? I'm kind of interested now.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Doug Dinsdale posted:

Finished playing Attack of the Friday Monsters.
It's terrible. Lame story presented in Layton style with no battles and only "go talk to this character" challenges.
It's supposed to be nostalgic to people like me, but it's nothing short of juvenile, wimpy, and cliched.
And, it only clocked in at a shade over three hours.
Seriously, save your money and don't touch this with a bargepole.

Are you familiar with the Kaz Ayabe's other games, Boku no Natsuyasumi? I've never played them but they have a cult following and seem to trade heavily on nostalgia in a similar way to Friday Monsters, so I'm just curious to know whether this game compares unfavourably to his other games in that respect.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Edoraz posted:

Eh?

Is Spelunker worth the bones? I'm kind of interested now.

It's a classic for how terrible it is, don't actually buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Are you familiar with the Kaz Ayabe's other games, Boku no Natsuyasumi? I've never played them but they have a cult following and seem to trade heavily on nostalgia in a similar way to Friday Monsters, so I'm just curious to know whether this game compares unfavourably to his other games in that respect.

Boku no Natsuyasumi is one of my favorite game series ever. I didn't hate Friday Monsters nearly as much as Doug did, but it most certainly isn't even close to the same league.