Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
Is there a goon steam group out for this yet? If not, I think we need one. It's be cool if we could get some goons using teammwork and playing kinda tactically.

We'd need to get on the CTS Teamspeak, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

Rei_ posted:

Like, the only times I've seen hardcore realism military simulation work out is when it's small teams of players who all know eachother, and are all on the same page.

You really don't need that, though. RO and DH are both miles more on the hardcore realism side (in most ways) than RO2 and RS, they only occasionally had any kind of organized play going on, and yet RO was successful enough to prompt Tripwire to make a horrible sequel. Like others say, it's just an issue of learning how to play it. I'm not gonna defend TWI, because they don't deserve that, but too much realism is not really a problem these games are suffering from. Moreover, there are already plenty of games that don't require this playstyle of the player already, so I don't see a reason for RO to become more like those, even though it has anyway. I don't see the problem in a diverse market for FPS games, though again, RO2 and RS really lean hard towards the generic FPS experience as compared to RO and DH - even in realism mode.

Alain Perdrix fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 2, 2013

milk man
Jun 5, 2012

Trigger warning: Hate speech

Rei_ posted:

Like, the only times I've seen hardcore realism military simulation work out is when it's small teams of players who all know eachother, and are all on the same page. It practically has to be a roleplaying game in the tabletop sense more than a FPS videogame. There are too many conflicting types of video game player on this market to hop onto a public server and not be upset when you run into a large percentage of the playerbase annoyed and frustrated because they can't realistically get anywhere applying what FPS videogames have been training them to do
Your statement about realistic military sims is basically correct imo.

The problem with your argument is this game is not even close to that, it's really just a run and gun shooter like Battlefield 2 with big maps and quick death. I've played a lot of BF2 and CS and that was pretty much all the 'training' I needed to get into Red Orchestra 2.

Also, flanking is an option (and a must unless your team is good with smoke). Nearly every map gives you a ton of lateral space around almost every single objective.

If you were playing entirely on Iwo Jima I totally understand your frustration, though, that map consists almost entirely of dying from a completely random direction at 300 meters, respawning, and then almost immediately getting shot again. People still love to vote for it, though. Why is the worst map so often the most popular in FPS? Apartments, 2fort, and Iwo Jima are all loving travesties compared to the other maps available on those games.

milk man fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 2, 2013

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
The more serious you play, the less fun you'll have.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

milk man posted:

If you were playing entirely on Iwo Jima I totally understand your frustration, though, that map consists almost entirely of dying from a completely random direction at 300 meters, respawning, and then almost immediately getting shot again. People still love to vote for it, though. Why is the worst map so often the most popular in FPS? Apartments, 2fort, and Iwo Jima are all loving travesties compared to the other maps available on those games.

The major factor in all of those maps, and maps like Nuketown, Shipment, Wetwork and Hijacked are they are all tight maps with little reliable cover that all favour easy kills. An easy kill is either a map where the first person to see the other guy is going to win the gunfight, typically, whereas on more complex maps where you have to deal with distance, cover, and visibility. Or it's a map where one side has an overwhelming advantage in cover or distribution of power points and it just becomes a killbox for the other team. I'm learning the game more so I'm starting to have a bit more fun, but it's just annoying when it's like WHERE DID I DIE FROM (The camera zooms in on a shrub miles away from anything important) OH, OKAY.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 2, 2013

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I'm not really sure why you're surprised that you were killed by an enemy hiding in thick foliage when you consciously made a decision to buy a pseudo-realistic military shooter set in the pacific front of WW2. Yeah, getting shot by dudes hiding in foliage is pretty much par for the course?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are you seriously complaining about a mil sim in the game where one side gets 150% damage resistance when they charge?

Really, you want to get better at this game just press shift+meele, yell until you reach a safe point, heal,aim and rest. Do it again until you're dead or caping the point.

Listen to Voip, steal all smoke grenades you find on the floor and use them to help your comrades, always try to shoot with support and expose the least of your body as possible.

This game is not a mil slim, this game is Bad Company 2 with less auto firing weapons and soldiers with bad knees.

Rei_ posted:

I'm learning the game more so I'm starting to have a bit more fun, but it's just annoying when it's like WHERE DID I DIE FROM (The camera zooms in on a shrub miles away from anything important) OH, OKAY.
That's how you learn the maps. By trial of fire. That's Red Orchestra for ya.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Gave this a shot with free rifleman, as Axis on Saipan. It was a blast, there's not really anything to complain about unless you cry into your pillow for the days of pixel sniping. There were guys on the US side that obviously knew the map pretty well, so there was a great game of urban cat and mouse going which was like half the fun anyway. Every kill still feels rewarding, and I racked up a lot more than I would have going fresh into RO1 which is probably more fun for new players. I did get shot point blank in the ear a few times.

I saw no [69th]glory2nipponb4nz41jugend[SS]'s which was kind of a disappointment because that is a prominent memory from before. My bolt action hard-on came back with a vengeance though.

I probably won't purchase right away, the swords can't be that much more fun than furiously karate chopping people.

e: Let's play some goon games. I'm sure my jubilation will be short lived when I play one of these jungle maps.

Captain Diarrhoea fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 2, 2013

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, speed hacks are much more common in RS and the combat area is draconic for those who are left behind when a point is captured. Otherwise this game is what RO2 should be (fun and good)

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mans posted:

Well, speed hacks are much more common in RS and the combat area is draconic for those who are left behind when a point is captured. Otherwise this game is what RO2 should be (fun and good)

What's nice is that you can get to just about any area of engagement on a single bar of stamina.

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

I found 99% of the time when I'm having trouble in this game its because I'm moving around too much and not camping positions and chokepoints long enough.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Changed my PC setup and now I'm not a speed hacker!

Is there a site where I can print out the maps? I feel like if I could make notes on a physical map or glance at it in play I'd be able to learn them faster.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.
I don't know what to think about the Type 100. I think it's really good, but the level 25 upgrade makes it totally different. It loses all recoil though it seems like the firing rate is reduced, but it replaces the rear sight with this horrible peep that makes it difficult to see anything. It's so tiny that when you shoot the muzzle flash completely obscures your target.

milk man
Jun 5, 2012

Trigger warning: Hate speech

NickBlasta posted:

I don't know what to think about the Type 100. I think it's really good, but the level 25 upgrade makes it totally different. It loses all recoil though it seems like the firing rate is reduced, but it replaces the rear sight with this horrible peep that makes it difficult to see anything. It's so tiny that when you shoot the muzzle flash completely obscures your target.
I probably have something like 500 kills with the Type 100, I hardly use any other weapon.

The "upgrades" are a downgrade in every way. There are very few specific situations where the reduced rate of fire and quiet firing can help you out, and even then the incredibly obstructive sights will gently caress you over. The weapon has very little recoil already, halving its damage output to improve that even more is completely unnecessary. It turns it into a passable medium-range gun with sights that entirely negate your ability to aim well at medium range.

Un-upgraded = 800 ROF
"Upgraded" = 450 ROF

Basically every single time I'm on the Axis class select screen I click the little grey chevron to set the Type100 to default and then grab the 1911. That pistol is a killing machine.

milk man fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 2, 2013

Microsoft Weird
Sep 11, 2007

There is next to no recoil on the level 1 type 100 SMG, and even ridiculous BAR suppression can't stop me from hitting my target's head with a quick ironsights burstfire from 100 meters away, no steadying required. In beta, tripwire listened to :freep: redditor whines about the knee mortars because people don't like being killed by things they can't see, so now the Japanese actually need the imbalanced type 100 to compete. I don't want to see the return of OP knee mortars, I'd rather have the directfire-boomstick guys leave the slot open, but there might be better places to hinge the entire balance of the game than in Japanese SMGs, because having a third of the Axis vulnerable only to explosions/during reloads feels like it muddles the asymmetry of the two sides.

Microsoft Weird fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 25, 2013

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
What'd they change to the mortar?

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM
I just tried going back to the base game after playing this all week. Jesus the stock maps are so incredibly lovely. there's 3 different directions to get shot from at all times and you never know where anyone is because all the people who still play the stock maps have memorized every camping spot that exists. I can't level up any of the guns because I can hardly manage 2 kills a game and when I toss a grenade some dipshit is ready to run into the same loving room and take away 2 points for me.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I feel like people are actually being a bit harsh on this game. It isn't Darkest Hour, but it is a massive improvement over RO2 in a lot of ways. I think a lot of the issues people might be having are due to being on servers with terrible team mates. Once the release sort of dies down and people get over the novelty of playing a game as Rifleman (since its free to play as Rifleman if you own RO2 already) the community will settle down and it should get a bit more coordinated.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Dotcom656 posted:

I just tried going back to the base game after playing this all week. Jesus the stock maps are so incredibly lovely. there's 3 different directions to get shot from at all times and you never know where anyone is because all the people who still play the stock maps have memorized every camping spot that exists. I can't level up any of the guns because I can hardly manage 2 kills a game and when I toss a grenade some dipshit is ready to run into the same loving room and take away 2 points for me.

The idea behind movement in both RO2 games is a risk-versus-reward kind of thing. You're getting hit from campers, okay. But a moving target can be hard to hit and the maps are littered with cover, so you can either do a high-risk move of just dashing forward doing the serpentine or you can move from cover to cover to get there slower but safer. You're never truly safe when out of cover, which is great because it gives tension to the game.

As for not getting kills, just learn to keep an eye out for anything that moves in the environment. Shooting in RS is more paying attention to your environment than it is reflexes, so take it slow, occasionally pause to look at your surrounding, and overall just be vigilant.

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The idea behind movement in both RO2 games is a risk-versus-reward kind of thing. You're getting hit from campers, okay. But a moving target can be hard to hit and the maps are littered with cover, so you can either do a high-risk move of just dashing forward doing the serpentine or you can move from cover to cover to get there slower but safer. You're never truly safe when out of cover, which is great because it gives tension to the game.

As for not getting kills, just learn to keep an eye out for anything that moves in the environment. Shooting in RS is more paying attention to your environment than it is reflexes, so take it slow, occasionally pause to look at your surrounding, and overall just be vigilant.

Maybe its just that apartments is a loving shittier than regular example of a map on the firefight game mode. But I just found it a lot more fun to play rising storm's maps and I can usually get upwards of 20-30 kills per match. Guess I'm never going back to the base game.

gimpfarfar
Jan 25, 2006

It's time to play Spot the Looney!

Eonwe posted:

I feel like people are actually being a bit harsh on this game. It isn't Darkest Hour, but it is a massive improvement over RO2 in a lot of ways. I think a lot of the issues people might be having are due to being on servers with terrible team mates. Once the release sort of dies down and people get over the novelty of playing a game as Rifleman (since its free to play as Rifleman if you own RO2 already) the community will settle down and it should get a bit more coordinated.

The RO community is probably second only to the Total War community, when it comes to the spergers/fans ratio :) The RO fanbase beats the TW one when it comes to nazi sympathizers, though!

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
I saw through a :spergin: last night on the merits of the Type 100.

It was an obviously bad design but dammit if there wasn't someone gonna argue for it.

Warkak
Dec 21, 2010

Cheesefoot-
Don't kink shame
Apartments is the worst map as it encourages nothing but hanging around in buildings where people do nothing but jerk it to the thought of plinking a pixel or unloading their ppsh into the next person who comes through a doorway. Rising Storm maps are not perfect but they really do encourage people to move and I've had a better experience in general as more people seem to take the reigns as commander and do a decent job. Nothing is better than having a banzai rush work as the majority of people commit to orders given.

P.S. - Iwo Jima is the apartments of RS but somehow manages to still be somewhat better.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Dotcom656 posted:

Maybe its just that apartments is a loving shittier than regular example of a map on the firefight game mode. But I just found it a lot more fun to play rising storm's maps and I can usually get upwards of 20-30 kills per match. Guess I'm never going back to the base game.

Ohhh you're talking about the base game, not RS. Yeah, vRO2 is a camping, pixel-sniping nightmare and RS improves on it in almost every way so you are free to just stick with it.

And Apartments/Danzig/Chokepoints-R-Us is a terrible meat-grinder map. So is Fallen Fighters or whatever its called.

VVVV We hate because we love

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 3, 2013

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I bought RO2 during the Summer Sale last year and had a lot of fun with it. I bought RS on release day and I've had a lot of fun with it. They're both fun games and you people will complain about anything.

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Ohhh you're talking about the base game, not RS. Yeah, vRO2 is a camping, pixel-sniping nightmare and RS improves on it in almost every way so you are free to just stick with it.

And Apartments/Danzig/Chokepoints-R-Us is a terrible meat-grinder map. So is Fallen Fighters or whatever its called.

VVVV We hate because we love

Can people just make decent custom maps that use the German and Soviet troops and stuff so I can fool around with those guns and level them up on not terrible maps? And yeah your earlier comment about "There's cover everywhere" had me confused.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Tori CMOS posted:

I bought RO2 during the Summer Sale last year and had a lot of fun with it. I bought RS on release day and I've had a lot of fun with it. They're both fun games and you people will complain about anything.
There's actually a ton of poo poo I won't complain about but it's all in the original game.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun
Saw some level 80 guy today, looks like Marine hero's have camo.

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Did you defile his corpse?

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Oh god drat it, I thought 50 was max. Guess I have 30 more levels to do :geno:

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

An Enormous Boner posted:

Oh god drat it, I thought 50 was max. Guess I have 30 more levels to do :geno:

Max is 99.

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003
This is total sperg-out thing to notice, but are the marines wearing army leggings and vice versa in this?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The M1938 leggings were the same ones used by all services.

The Navy/marine version had usually more khaki as color and brass hardware.
However, the "khaki" color is somewhat misleading since colors were only guidelines. Even the same factory could put 10 different colors with one "Khaki" designation on the same equipment during the same day. Imagine now multiple factories.

In addition, the size, numbering and some reference numbers were different. Navy size 4 was not Army size 4. 'Murica.

Later on, the ones the Army used usually had less eyelets. As the war progressed, the streamlining process cut the number of eyelets down to a half and not many of these newer ones found their ways to the Marines before the war ended.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jun 5, 2013

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I stumbled upon the guy that made the tanks models for RS on polycount, he posted a few screenshots a while ago.
I wonder if they are going to release them one day..

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
So whats up with honor?

Can't level up my squad leader because I'm stuck at 26 honor. No amount of point taking/killing people while on point/etc gets me past 26.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

So whats up with honor?

Can't level up my squad leader because I'm stuck at 26 honor. No amount of point taking/killing people while on point/etc gets me past 26.

Are you playing on unranked servers?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

SERPUS posted:

Are you playing on unranked servers?

I don't think so. I've never chosen a server from an unranked list and usually go to the "recently played" tab. Not all of them could be unranked.

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003

Vahakyla posted:

The M1938 leggings were the same ones used by all services.

The Navy/marine version had usually more khaki as color and brass hardware.
However, the "khaki" color is somewhat misleading since colors were only guidelines. Even the same factory could put 10 different colors with one "Khaki" designation on the same equipment during the same day. Imagine now multiple factories.

In addition, the size, numbering and some reference numbers were different. Navy size 4 was not Army size 4. 'Murica.

Later on, the ones the Army used usually had less eyelets. As the war progressed, the streamlining process cut the number of eyelets down to a half and not many of these newer ones found their ways to the Marines before the war ended.

Well, it looks like we're both sort of right and sort of wrong...the Navy and Marines did in fact have a different pattern of leggings than the Army's M1938s with fewer eyelets, but they the Army did start using fewer eyelets later in the war. Having played again and made an effort to look at the models' leggings, it looks like the army models have on late war army leggings (which have fewer eyelets than the early war M1938s, but more than the navy/marine versions), and the marines have...early war army leggings for some reason. So...that's that, I suppose.

In conclusion, :goonsay:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Honestly I'm just sort of glad that pants didn't go the way of tanks - at least they're in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003
Touché

• Locked thread