Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

Boyd, at one time, was a great hot rod builder. After his shop started getting on magazine covers, he either had the work farmed out or had his in-house employees do the deed. That's where Chip Foose got his start. Chezoom and Cadzilla were of this period, and while he did do some of the work himself, this was the start of his transition to businessman. Anything after this period he probably didn't touch personally.

It's sad that my first real exposure to the Coddington/Foose style of hot rod builds were the awful TV shows with them yelling at their respective shops about deadlines or whatever's this week's drama.

I really need to play NFS: Porsche Unleashed again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
The cutest repair order ever!

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

It's sad that my first real exposure to the Coddington/Foose style of hot rod builds were the awful TV shows with them yelling at their respective shops about deadlines or whatever's this week's drama.

I think it's the best PC racing game of all time and can't help but replay it about once a year.

MkIV GTIs are arguably awful, but this is awesome:

http://www.034motorsport.com/034motorsport-gti-rs-for-sale-a-313.html

Poing
Jul 25, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...
034 is an awesome shop, and I can't believe they're selling the GTI. The TA A4 yes, but THAT?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Boyd and Foose had their moments, but the TV stuff really diluted their reputations IMO. That style of car is so played out, I get sick whenever I hear the term Pro Touring. Some of it is still cool, and there's a great new subsection devoted to actually building a car that looks like an autocrosser and autocrossing it.

Meanwhile Troy Trepanier of Rad Rides by Troy went from building cars like this:

to this:

If you're going to make a career out of building custom cars, don't stagnate like Boyd and Foose. If you've seen one of theirs, you've seen them all, but Rad Rides by Troy has been pumping out innovative poo poo for over two decades now.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

That really was the best game, especially how you had to practice backwards J-turns (don't know how it's called, but the thing everybody does in action movies: full throttle backwards, pull the handbrake, spin 180 degrees and drive away).

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

beedeebee posted:

That really was the best game, especially how you had to practice backwards J-turns (don't know how it's called, but the thing everybody does in action movies: full throttle backwards, pull the handbrake, spin 180 degrees and drive away).

Speaking of car builders who have completely stagnated.... loving Rauh Welt...

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

blk posted:

MkIV GTIs are arguably awful, but this is awesome:

mk4 golf 4-door is one of the best cars ever designed :colbert:

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Not much prettier than an SL rallying, post em if you got em~

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

bidikyoopi posted:

mk4 golf 4-door is one of the best cars ever designed :colbert:

The distinctive c-pillar of the golf series is one of my favorite nerd sperg styling cues

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Saw this coming out after lunch at the Annapolis Harbour Centre. So sexy. Wanted to get more pictures but the boyfriend was wanting to get going.

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.

Coronet XX posted:

Saw this coming out after lunch at the Annapolis Harbour Centre. So sexy. Wanted to get more pictures but the boyfriend was wanting to get going.
I think I knew the kid of whoever drives that Viper. If it's him, his parents own the MGD distributors for some huge area around MD if I recall correctly. I visited his house for a weekend like 7 years ago and they had a late-gen viper with I believe the same plates. I'll have to check to see if I have pictures of the thing on my computer when I get home. They had a motorcycle with "BEER" as the plate as well.

goobernoodles fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 4, 2013

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

A few photos from the most recent Breakfast Club at Goodwood - Supercar Sunday. Awesome day, great turnout as usual, and saw some incredible cars, including a Ruf CTR3, Carrera GT, McLaren F1, a trio of Veyrons, an Enzo, and my favourite car ever, a pair of F40s.
Was nearly tempted to buy an awesome Lancia Delta Integrale as well... only £16k. Still sorely tempted...

Anyway, click through for the rest of the album.

DSC_0111 by Phil Tickner, on Flickr

DSC_0052 by Phil Tickner, on Flickr

DSC_0070 by Phil Tickner, on Flickr

DSC_0241 by Phil Tickner, on Flickr

DSC_0305 by Phil Tickner, on Flickr

DSC_0177 by Phil Tickner, on Flickr

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

So, as it happens, the Hot Rod Power Tour started pretty much in my backyard (about 15 miles away), so I went an checked out the kickoff on Saturday. My camera battery died almost immediately, so most of the shots are from my iPhone. My apologies if this offends or disturbs you.

Some highlights:

It was hydraulically driven, too.

This:

contained this:

I can't decide if this is awesome or awful:

It's certainly the best of the retro body kits, but that's not saying much.

'51 Ford. Bomber-style. Gatlin-gun parking lights. Also, since it was a Kicker display, the sound system kicked (no pun intended) much rear end.

An actual Holden HSV 727 (I remind you this is in North Texas).

With a few modifications under the hood.

It sounded every bit as brutal as it looks.

Unf.

Ever seen a Kaiser Darrin before?:

Look closely at the doors.

clean Maverick

Old-school Hemi-powered '57 Olds:

I'd prefer Olds power, but at least it's not an SBC.

Chevy had an SS there (and a diesel Cruze, but I didn't take pictures of that):

Not bad.

The LSA-powered '70 Chevelle was cooler, though.

LSA-powered '56 with patina:

My stupid finger got in the way, but I had to include this one. This is a '64 GTO - on the outside. All the sheet metal has been slipped on to the unibody of an '06 GTO, with minimal changes to the actual running and operating gear. Very nicely done. Talked to the owner for a while about it. I was thinking it was another LSx-swapped A-body until I noticed the strut bar, and thus, the strut towers, which the A-body does not have.

Interior was a combination of '06 GTO, and custom, particularly around the convertible top. The rear seats had to be modified to fit.

LHD Holden ute, with Florida plates. Anyone want to bet it's registered as a GTO?

Something for the BMW guys:

Oops, maybe not:

What's going on under the hood of this Chevelle?

Ah-ha!

6.6L Duramax diesel.

Patina, and holes in the hood:

(apologies for the fuzziness. The phone wasn't coping well with the bright light, clouds, and a little rain.)

Cummins 4BT-powered rod

Pontiac Can-Am:

Crewcab V-dub pickup:

I know you guys will like this. Genuine rally-prepped Trabant:

Their support vehicle was a '73-4 Buick full size wagon.
https://www.unsaferacing.com for the story of how he got the thing here from the Ukraine.

Not only is this a fully restored Morris Minor, it's got Tweels on it.

and a Toyota 4AGE

They are doing testing of prototype Tweels. I got to talk to the inventor of the things. They also had a CRZ equipped with Tweels, a trailer, and an ATV on the trailer with them as well.

There are more pics here: http://wright-here.net/gallery/v/kevin/general_car_stuff/power_tour_2013/

What I find best of all is that most of these cars are DRIVEN. They drove them here to Texas, and they're driving them now to North Carolina. Awesome.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Darchangel posted:

Awesome stuff.
I love the tweels, but are half those pics upside down for anybody else?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Darchangel posted:

Pontiac Can-Am:

I hate to be that guy, but that's not a Can Am, it's a Grand Am.

This is what a Can Am looks like.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Not enough frog ITT. Quite possibly my favorite 90s styling:

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Volkswagen Vanagon Syncro with a Porsche V8 swapped in.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

stump posted:

They're all right side up for me on Chrome.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

stump posted:

SOme were upsidedown for me on the iPad SA app, but on my computer they are all right side up. Weird.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'm sure it has to do with the orientation / rotation flag in the EXIF data. I'm not sure how in 2013 programs don't use this correctly yet.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Saw that Holden HSV on an episode of Roadkill...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYeBHtoxs7g

edit: goddamn tags

wallaka fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 5, 2013

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Now THAT'S a fender skirt!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CharlesM posted:

I'm sure it has to do with the orientation / rotation flag in the EXIF data. I'm not sure how in 2013 programs don't use this correctly yet.

Pics from my iPhone do that for some reason, if I upload them without running them through an image editor first. The ones that are OK either cam from my camera or had to be resized to upload. I'll fix the ones that are still wonky when I get a chance. They all looked fine from my PC, but I see them upside down on the iPad.
Guess I need to mark the iPhone "this side up" for photos...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Q_res posted:

I hate to be that guy, but that's not a Can Am, it's a Grand Am.

This is what a Can Am looks like.

No, you're right. I got excited and thought it was a Can Am without really looking at it closely. We were on the way out when I took that pic, tired and hungry. My only excuse.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This is captioned:

quote:

This guy's mustang was hit by the tornado in Moore, Oklahoma. He found it, started it up, and has been cruising around town since

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Darchangel posted:

Power Tour stuff

That Holden was featured in both the Hot Rod mag and on Roadkill. The 727 isn't a Holden designation, it's the cubic inches of the Chevy based Hemi in it.

Roadkill episode in Australia

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

That's where I've seen it before. Thanks!
That engine was frigging huge!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Meh, that's a baby Sonny Leonard mill.

He makes one that's 1005ci, 2100hp naturally aspirated. $110,000 out the door.

e- VVV lol

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 6, 2013

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

C-c-c-c-c-rosspost!

Imgur posted:

This guy's mustang was hit by the tornado in Moore, Oklahoma. He found it, started it up, and has been cruising around town since.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Doing a burnout in that Mustang...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzIBCGzmnRg

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

JackRabbitStorm posted:

C-c-c-c-c-rosspost!

S-s-s-s-s-ame Page!

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

TheFonz posted:

S-s-s-s-s-ame Page!

poo poo, I missed that. Dammit thats what I get for keeping a tab open for a few hours

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

skidpad, woooooooooo.

bodyroll, woooooo.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Elephant driving a Land Rover :3:

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Saw the Holden actually driving around at the Power Tour in Birmingham today, he had the hood off for whatever reason. We were wondering if its legal for him to drive it on the street in the US since its an Australian car?

Also there was a Holden ute there (the Monaro/GTO based one) that looked legit but it was left hand drive. Anyone who went on the Tour get the scoop on it? The owner was driving in around the same time we did but I never actually saw him around it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

JackRabbitStorm posted:

C-c-c-c-c-rosspost!

Somewhat related

Also related

I'm gonna guess he only had liability on it; I can't imagine an insurance company wanting to touch it after the... work, even though it's an obvious total.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
What's that? Tail of the Dragon you say?

(click for big)

... in a lifted 4 door XJ with no doors and a cage and a hot girl riding shotgun? Any day of the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

kastein posted:

What's that? Tail of the Dragon you say?

(click for big)

... in a lifted 4 door XJ with no doors and a cage and a hot girl riding shotgun? Any day of the week.

That guy is seriously living the life.

Maserati Merak. Not known for being the most super supercar but I think they're loving beautiful. Anyone know how much these go for in fixer-upper to decent condition?