Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Of course Marco's is a happy labrador retriever :3: (and of course Levi's is a raccoon)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Prison Warden posted:

I always thought Hanji was a woman, I guess it's just one of those weird differences that pop up when one language makes far more use of non-gender specific pronouns.

I didn't even realize anyone seriously thought Hanji could be a man until I started reading this thread. I still have to remind myself that Armin is a dude all the time, though.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Soks posted:

Shingeki no Spirit Animals

Shame the anime thread can't see due to Bert:Llama, and excluding him might rouse suspicions too. :tinfoil:

I don't know why but Hanji:Shoebill Stork works SO WELL. I guess an abnormal bird fits for an abnormal person.

Edit: Sasha and Connie's Super Training Regiment

Penguin on a skateboard using 3DMG :3:

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

You could have Reiner giving Eren the news, cut to two/three lines of dialogue from the "main" conversation, then cut back to Eren's reaction. Or cut to the others after Reiner's first line, then just show Eren reacting incredulously in the background, even if we can't make out what he's saying.

To change the subject slightly, what do you all make of this screenshot?

I remember it being presented the same way in the manga. For some reason, the way the titans are juxtaposed reminds me a of mother and father. Possibly there's some theme I'm failing to detect here.

I just think that setup was just to put the readers/viewers in a uncomfortable zone. The characters see these giants and know about how much evil is contained in them. Readers/viewers who do not know what it is like to grow up in a world like that are shoved in front to look at these two smiling giants and are disturbed that even though the reader KNOWS those are titans, and even THOUGH they are smiling like they wouldn't want to kill a fly, they KNOW this is completely not the case and they actually want to gobble humans. Can you look at a happy family pictures and imagine they are all serial killers? You can't because that is not normal to us.

Maybe think of it when Patrick Bateman in American Psycho is acting like a great host to people he invites over. The audience knows what is coming but that is not what the victim believes.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Add me to the "How can people really think Hanji's a dude?" pile. Guess it explains why her voice is a lot lower than I expected.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Spoilers for Chapter 46 have appeared on 2ch.

I have ten pages, of varying size and quality. They even come with (terrible) translations.

http://imgur.com/a/H6kWN

pg838

Eren: Nothing's gonna come out of this... I...
I need a weapon...
What's happened to everyone...
What happened to the Recon Corps!?
After that happened...
They... They couldn't be heading here, could they?
They'd be taking a huge risk... if they were...

Ymir: Oh right, those titans at the castle could move about just fine at night, couldn't they?
What about the titans here?

Reiner: The titans here can't move at night.
You know that already, don't you?
Ymir.

pg842/843

Reiner: On the bright side, the wall's still in one piece.
We can rest up for now.
I'll talk about promotion later...
Bert: Reiner.
Reiner: Nah... I think we did a good job all things considered.
Reiner: We moved along great in all that chaos. As soldiers, I think we deserve merit and recognition for that alone...

Ymir: Hey, Reiner...
What are you even talking about...?

Reiner: Huh? What?
I told you, we don't have to talk to the commander about promotion right away.

Ymir: That's... not what I mean.
Reiner: Oh, right... You guys brought that cannon outta somewhere, didn't you?
You really saved our asses.
And then, Christa, well...
No matter how you slice it, you know she's into me, right? In fact, she's especially nice to me all the time, but-

Eren: Oi...

pg844

Eren: Are you loving with us?
Reiner: W... Why are you mad, Eren?
Did I... say something wrong?

pg845

Eren: If you want to get killed just say so goddammit!!
Ymir: Wait, Eren. No matter how you look at it, there's something we're missing here. Isn't that right, Mr. Bert? If you know something, don't keep mum and just tell him.

Reiner: Huh?
Bert: Reiner ... you're-

pg850

Eren: Just how big of a victim complex do you have... what was the point? Just why/how were you listening to our stories that day...

Hey Bert? Yeah, you loving sycophant. I told you about ourselves, didn't I? Right in front of you fuckers.

pg851

Eren: I told you about how my mom got eaten by a Titan, didn't I? About how a chunk of the gate you kicked hit our house, and my mother couldn't get away... You know, right? Because I told you. HOW DID YOU FEEL? That time... how did you feel after hearing that?

pg852

Bert: That time... I felt sorry for you.

pg856

Reiner: What are you expecting from that murderer!? D'you want him to reflect!? Would you want him to apologize!? Do you want to lecture him that "killing is bad"!?

Are you satisfied with that!?
The me that you know is no longer here, you know!? If you're going to end with crying and raging, then loving keep raging!!

pg???

Ymir: But you know, Eren... You're making a big mistake if you think just killing those two would end everything.
Eren: Who's the enemy!?

Ymir: Enemy? Well, they'd be the sei-
Reiner/Bert: YMIR!

Highlights:

Reiner has lost his entire mind. :allears:
Eren is a runaway nuclear rage furnace, all day every day. :allears:
Ymir gives no fucks, ever. :allears:
Bert makes the best faces. :allears:

Looks like a promising chapter.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Anime_Otaku posted:

Add me to the "How can people really think Hanji's a dude?" pile. Guess it explains why her voice is a lot lower than I expected.

I started doubting once I tried figuring out what name Hanji was supposed to be. Hans was the only one that came to mind.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

genericnick posted:

I started doubting once I tried figuring out what name Hanji was supposed to be. Hans was the only one that came to mind.

Kodansha localised it as "Hange". That's her last name, in any case; her first name is Zoë.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Prison Warden posted:

I always thought Hanji was a woman, I guess it's just one of those weird differences that pop up when one language makes far more use of non-gender specific pronouns.

I mean, she's no Nagisa, that's for sure.

I'm still confused when the characters refer to Ymir as a woman.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Volume posted:

I'm still confused when the characters refer to Ymir as a woman.

To be fair, Ymir is a dudes name so that is legitimately confusing.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Prison Warden posted:

To be fair, Ymir is a dudes name so that is legitimately confusing.

Except Ymir doesn't look like a guy at all..?

Sorry Corals
Jan 2, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

After your post prompted me to look back at that chapter (I remembered Marco died, but after watching the anime episodes and realizing he survived the Battle of Trost I forgot when), I noticed that page 24 has Annie looking at a dead soldier and saying "I'm sorry" while looking shocked. This seems kinda strange, since she seems to have no qualms with slaughtering folks as a titan.

It's hard to tell, but that corpse was probably Mina (dinner table buddy) after the moe-eyes titan got to her.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Doflamingo posted:

Except Ymir doesn't look like a guy at all..?

Maybe in the anime but in the manga she looks very androgynous and this is usually something happens more with males than with females in japan.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Yeah, for a long time I thought Ymir was a guy but Hanji being one never even crossed my mind.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I hope nobody from the anime thread comes in and sees this.

haha

appletonoutcast
May 31, 2007

Om nom nom nom nom nom

Thoren posted:

haha

JESUS CHRIST. :catstare:

You realize this is based off a horrifically racist jewish caricature, right?

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Oh poo poo. I've seen that before but didn't catch it until now. :stare:

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
Can Can anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2n4TBef0aws

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
No reply to this yet?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Autonomous Monster posted:

Kodansha localised it as "Hange". That's her last name, in any case; her first name is Zoë.

What? No it's not. Even Mikasa's name is written given first, family second, in the western way, and she's *~the last Asian alive~*. There's no reason Hanji alone would buck that trend.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

AnonSpore posted:

What? No it's not. Even Mikasa's name is written given first, family second, in the western way, and she's *~the last Asian alive~*. There's no reason Hanji alone would buck that trend.

Really? I didn't know that.

Nevertheless, "Zoë Hange" is Kondansha's official romanisation:

:shrug:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I figured out Annie was the female titan because they have the same nose. It's a very distinct nose, not one you see in manga/anime a whole lot.

Thoren posted:

haha

Around titans, never... ? I can't think of a good rhyme.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
ymir's titan form would fit that caricature way better

Madoushi
May 9, 2003

Some days, you just get up on the wrong side of the bed...

Fister Roboto posted:

I figured out Annie was the female titan because they have the same nose. It's a very distinct nose, not one you see in manga/anime a whole lot.

With titans, the future never brightens?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fister Roboto posted:

See a Titan, Soon get eaten.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

JosephWongKS posted:

See a Titan, Soon get eaten.
That one might work better with Eoten.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, she definitly has a very distinctive nose, it always calls my attention when I see it in anime.

I can't wait until the next chapter.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Medieval Medic posted:

Yeah, she definitly has a very distinctive nose, it always calls my attention when I see it in anime.

I can't wait until the next chapter.

Yeah, I've been checking this thread really frequently now that I know the next chapter has been released.

The one good thing about (good) monthly series is that the chapters almost always contain a significant amount of content. I don't expect the conversation between Eren and Reiner/Bertholdt to be pushed to the chapter after this.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Saw this in the Comic Strip Mega Thread. If it wasn't for this manga it would never have creeped me out like it did.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

....I'd play it.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

AradoBalanga posted:

....I'd play it.

Katamari Bertamacy.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
Just finished all five volumes that've been localized. Zoe Hange is definitely going to be a favorite character of mine.

Especially after that next issue preview.

Brutus Salad
Nov 8, 2009

Best buddies forever! :3:

Fister Roboto posted:

Around Titans always be fightin'? :shrug:

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
Various artists grow a lot over the course of a manga, but does the art in this series get any better? It's pretty atrocious so far and I'm maybe 30 chapters in.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Some, but it's limited. Enjoy it for the sense of movement and scale and just stop sweating the anatomy. The story is worth getting over the art.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Medieval Medic posted:

It's so weird because she looks exactly like someone I know, nose and all. They even act the same. I feel like she is in the manga. She can't transform into a titan though.

...as far as I know.

How do you think the crystallization works? Is she conscious or asleep or what? Is her plan just to wait out the end of humanity or something? I guess it seemed like a last ditch effort to avoid consequences so probably she has no real plan. The wall giants are presumably sleeping though, right? I suppose if they are the sacrificial heroes of humanity, they could be conscious.

KittenofDoom posted:

Various artists grow a lot over the course of a manga, but does the art in this series get any better? It's pretty atrocious so far and I'm maybe 30 chapters in.

I don't really see why everyone doesn't like the art.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Shadow0 posted:

The anatomy can be pretty bad. I don't notice things like that at all, so it doesn't bother me, but I understand why some people dislike it.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shadow0 posted:

It's so weird because she looks exactly like someone I know, nose and all. They even act the same. I feel like she is in the manga. She can't transform into a titan though.

...as far as I know.

Does your friend wear a ring? Does she guard her neck when she fights? Does she heal unusually quickly? Do other people mysteriously disappear when she's alone with them?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Shadow0 posted:

How do you think the crystallization works? Is she conscious or asleep or what? Is her plan just to wait out the end of humanity or something? I guess it seemed like a last ditch effort to avoid consequences so probably she has no real plan. The wall giants are presumably sleeping though, right? I suppose if they are the sacrificial heroes of humanity, they could be conscious.

It's the equivalent of a spy or soldier committing suicide when captured by enemy forces to avoid being tortured and potentially revealing vital secrets, except that she isn't dead and can presumably be brought out of the crystal state later by someone in the know. I dunno, the way I see it it's all the benefits of being dead and being a POW put together, with none of the downsides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL

Shadow0 posted:

Terrible anatomy, bad facial expressions, boring perspective shots and backgrounds, uninteresting character designs, and confusing action sequences, to name a few.

The monster designs are great, though.