Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Stopped by the local retro gaming store and got not much to speak of; a 5-screw Gyromite that did not have a Famicom adapter, Skate or Die, and a copy of Wonder Boy 3 for the Master System. Actually the last was kinda nice since I got it for $9 and every copy I've seen online is going for $20 or more. Probably a bad idea to buy it because it was on my Elfster wish list. :v:

And my Master System still doesn't want to take input from the up button of any controller I plug into it. Anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

TheRedEye posted:

Speaking of VGA, here's something really gross that's happening!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-NES-Trog-Prototype-Cartridge-Pre-Production-Sample-VGA-Archival-1991-/200927121502

People are sending in prototypes to be verified as legitimate now, which I'm totally ok with.

But what's horrifying is that in this particular instance, the seller has not backed up the data on this game's EPROMs, and he's using that as a selling point. He has permanently sealed this cartridge in a plastic tomb, ensuring that no one will ever play with it, and that its data will never be preserved.

Now, this is just Trog, so who cares, but what happens when someone decides to do this with an important game? Good lord.

You would think about 10 years of seeing collectors do stupid poo poo like this would dull me to it but nope!!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Quiet Feet posted:

Skate or Die

Please post your highest High Jump score. :)

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Quiet Feet posted:

And my Master System still doesn't want to take input from the up button of any controller I plug into it. Anyone have any idea what the problem could be?
Master System is early enough that its controllers don't have multiplexers in them to reduce all the input from directions and buttons down to only a few wires.

There are only a few circuits in a SMS controller to begin with, so each pin on the controller port of the system is a discrete input. It is possible that your "Up" pin on your controller port is broken off, or its circuit is open inside the system.

Here's diagram for reference.
http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=controls:sega_master_system_controller

Do the controllers work properly in port #2?

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

And on the other side of the coin, PS3 only allows an account to be played on two different systems, but you can have one primary account for your system then load up your friend's account, download all his games, then sign back on your regular account and play his games. And he can do the same thing back to you.

If they keep this up with the PS4, it'll be great because you could effectively split the cost of any game 50% off on release day just by sharing with a buddy.

And you have just illustrated perfectly why it takes a feat of black magic/self mutilation to change accounts on the Vita. Lots of yahoos sharing their games across accounts. If you think they're gonna let that happen again next generation, especially after going out of their way to make the whole process a pain in the rear end on the Vita, you're crazy.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Yeah I am definitely aware of the old issue where drives larger than 137 GB weren't supported and that was fixed a long time ago, but I had read that even with the fix people were weary to use drives over a certain size; I think anything over 320GB was supposed to be a bad idea. I don't recall why though.

Here's my 2 cents. There are about 200,000 variables and possible answers to that question depending on another 200,000 variables...but if you can get your hands on an IDE 320gb drive it will be the easiest most pain free experience ever in your entire life. Couple that with knowing someone with the exploit already on an xbox mem card (to avoid hot swap or other non-incredibly easy tasks) and blam it's easy city USA. I went from having a 120gb in it for years and years to the 320, which in comparison feels infinitely huge.

Keep in mind I use the poo poo out of hdd space elsewhere so I know 320gb isn't a ton, but really for 99% of what I use my xbox for 320gb is just fine. The little music and SD video I play on it easily fits, non-disc based emulation is basically 0kb in comparison, the only thing I actively ever prune are full on Xbox games that are ripped to it. Even in that case, I usually play the same Xbox games so I rarely need to free up space or anything.

Kramdar If you're still not having any luck shoot me a PM

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 5, 2013

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Holy crap why are XRGB minis so expensive.

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
Well, I'm going to be moving across the country in about a month, and while I hate to part with any of my prized nerd crap, there's no way a 27" Trinitron is making the move with the space I have. Makes more sense to just by a new one when I get to my new city. Anybody want to grab a free trinitron in the rear end-end of Northwestern Arizona?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Overbite posted:

Holy crap why are XRGB minis so expensive.

Niche market, high end Marvell video processor inside that does its job very well, space is a premium in Japanese apartments.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I got a hankerin' for some KI Arcade. What's the normal way to use MAME on the PC these days? I notice it's still command-line only (:stonk:) so I searched for "MameUI" which I used to use, but looks like no one uses that any longer. Since I doubt any of you use command lines every time you want to load a game in MAME, how are people in 2013 using MAME normally?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Tyson Tomko posted:

Here's my 2 cents. There are about 200,000 variables and possible answers to that question depending on another 200,000 variables...but if you can get your hands on an IDE 320gb drive it will be the easiest most pain free experience ever in your entire life. Couple that with knowing someone with the exploit already on an xbox mem card (to avoid hot swap or other non-incredibly easy tasks) and blam it's easy city USA. I went from having a 120gb in it for years and years to the 320, which in comparison feels infinitely huge.

Keep in mind I use the poo poo out of hdd space elsewhere so I know 320gb isn't a ton, but really for 99% of what I use my xbox for 320gb is just fine. The little music and SD video I play on it easily fits, non-disc based emulation is basically 0kb in comparison, the only thing I actively ever prune are full on Xbox games that are ripped to it. Even in that case, I usually play the same Xbox games so I rarely need to free up space or anything.

Kramdar If you're still not having any luck shoot me a PM

Yeah, I ended up just grabbing a 320GB WD drive off amazon. This sata > pata converter is a terrible piece of poo poo.

Also if someone wants to start a tsop modding chain I have a memcard and can load whatever exploit you want on it, just need to know what. It currently has the AUF exploit but not really sure the bios or what bios chips it can support. Also my copy of AUF is fixed so it can't be used.

JumpinJackFlash
Nov 15, 2001

Unrelated, I just found out that Dragon Warrior 1 and 2 for the GBC has borders that change in every single scenario when using the Super Game Boy. In a forest area? The border turns to a forest. How awesome is that?

A number of Super Gameboy games like Battle Arena Toshiden and Donkey Kong do this. Other games also support enhanced audio. All you needed was some 65816 code in the Gameboy rom.

A lot of these features won't ever be seen on official emulated versions since you would have to emulate a SNES at the same time.

Get a Super Gameboy 2 everybody!

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I got a hankerin' for some KI Arcade. What's the normal way to use MAME on the PC these days? I notice it's still command-line only (:stonk:) so I searched for "MameUI" which I used to use, but looks like no one uses that any longer. Since I doubt any of you use command lines every time you want to load a game in MAME, how are people in 2013 using MAME normally?

If you launch MAME, you should come up with MAME's internal GUI, which will allow you to select a game. However, you will want to create a config file (there's directions in one of its readmes) so you can establish where to pull ROMs, CHDs, and otherwise from.

But yeah, you can totally get by with MAME's default interface as-is. Just takes some tinkering, but not a whole lot.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

http://www.mameui.info/

Here ya go!

D'oh, somehow missed the part where you had already mentioned that.... I don't know, I've been using this for a while now, works fine for me.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

I Dont Like You posted:

http://www.mameui.info/

Here ya go!

D'oh, somehow missed the part where you had already mentioned that.... I don't know, I've been using this for a while now, works fine for me.

Yeah thanks but MameUI hasn't been updated in forever. Also, I am trying to use it and it will not respond to keyboard inputs, no matter how hard I try, which basically means I can't set up how I want my joystick to work with it.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

If you launch MAME, you should come up with MAME's internal GUI, which will allow you to select a game. However, you will want to create a config file (there's directions in one of its readmes) so you can establish where to pull ROMs, CHDs, and otherwise from.

But yeah, you can totally get by with MAME's default interface as-is. Just takes some tinkering, but not a whole lot.

Thanks but then isn't it a hideous pain in the rear end if I want to do something like use vsync, choose screen resolutions, enable joystick etc. for every single game there is?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

JumpinJackFlash posted:

A number of Super Gameboy games like Battle Arena Toshiden and Donkey Kong do this. Other games also support enhanced audio. All you needed was some 65816 code in the Gameboy rom.

A lot of these features won't ever be seen on official emulated versions since you would have to emulate a SNES at the same time.

Get a Super Gameboy 2 everybody!

Its such a shame that the Game Boy Player doesnt have Super Game boy features.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

Yeah thanks but MameUI hasn't been updated in forever. Also, I am trying to use it and it will not respond to keyboard inputs, no matter how hard I try, which basically means I can't set up how I want my joystick to work with it.

Thanks but then isn't it a hideous pain in the rear end if I want to do something like use vsync, choose screen resolutions, enable joystick etc. for every single game there is?

Have you tried out the IV/Play front-end mentioned on there? Maybe that's updated more often?

Unmature
May 9, 2008
No one's ever believed me about this.

Did anyone else's McDonalds in the 90s have CDi kiosks?

At my local Mickey D's there were two kiosks. I forget what was in one of them, but the other had Hotel Mario and I played the poo poo out if it. They didn't have controllers, though. They controlled through a big touch pad with two buttons, like on a laptop but huge.

Am I nuts? I've never met someone who remembers this.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Unmature posted:

At my local Mickey D's there were two kiosks. I forget what was in one of them, but the other had Hotel Mario and I played the poo poo out if it. They didn't have controllers, though. They controlled through a big touch pad with two buttons, like on a laptop but huge.

Holy poo poo yes. I think mine had the same thing, just with some pinball game on it. Haven't thought about that in forever.

e. Apparently it was the game "Pinball". I remember that horrifying cyborg abomination was the coolest thing ever to happen to McD's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkTCkgWExM0

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Unmature posted:

No but mine had Nintendo 64 kiosks with Mario Kart and Pokemon Snap.

I Dont Like You posted:

Have you tried out the IV/Play front-end mentioned on there? Maybe that's updated more often?

Thanks; I tried that but the same thing. Doesn't respond to ANY keyboard presses (I have to press CTRL ALT DEL to even get out of MAME), so I can't even get to the drat screen where I configure my controller. I've deleted all config files, downloaded new versions of MAME, etc. I'm pretty close to giving up on this.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Comedy answer: Just use Hyperspin!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

bbcisdabomb posted:

Holy poo poo yes. I think mine had the same thing, just with some pinball game on it. Haven't thought about that in forever.

e. Apparently it was the game "Pinball". I remember that horrifying cyborg abomination was the coolest thing ever to happen to McD's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkTCkgWExM0

That is some of the laziest, most uninspired "pinball" I have ever seen. How in the hell did they think the CDi would go anywhere when their games were basically graphical updates of Atari 2600 games?

Copper Vein posted:

Master System is early enough that its controllers don't have multiplexers in them to reduce all the input from directions and buttons down to only a few wires.

There are only a few circuits in a SMS controller to begin with, so each pin on the controller port of the system is a discrete input. It is possible that your "Up" pin on your controller port is broken off, or its circuit is open inside the system.

Here's diagram for reference.
http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=controls:sega_master_system_controller

Do the controllers work properly in port #2?

Second port works fine. And I can get the first to work if I hold the end of the controller up and to the left in the port, so I'm guessing something is just loose or bent out of shape. Hope this should be an easy fix.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So I came to the realization that the digital port motherboards flat out will NOT work in the newer-model gamecube without some heavy modifications which I'm not willing to do.

Anyone up for :retrogames: for a gamecube d terminal cable?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Uh did Nintendo release a new update in the past few days? It says I need to update to play GoldenEye on my Letterbomb'd Wiis

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Tusen Takk posted:

Uh did Nintendo release a new update in the past few days? It says I need to update to play GoldenEye on my Letterbomb'd Wiis

I got a message I think last night about how they were shutting down alot of stuff on the Wii.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

flyboi posted:

iNes Header Help

Followup! After a lot of head scratching I got that all to work! Thanks again, it has cleaned up a lot of my roms!

The few that didn't "take" I'm going to check out GoodNes versions.

Is there a similar process / set for FDS images? Zelda and Metroid are giving me pretty gnarly corruption on the name entry screens. Or should I just keep digging until I find one that works?

vv Awesome, figured as much. Thanks again!

superh fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 6, 2013

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
FDS is a literal crapshoot. There's no real "good" set and there are a ton of bad images floating around. Just download all you can and try try try.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
So.... Tips for the people that have never imported anything from japan before and used EMS:

https://www.ems.com.cn is a shipping company out of china, not Japan. It took me 2 1/2 days entering my tracking number into the wrong site before I realized I needed to be at japanpost.jp

\/ \/ awesome I can now track that my SFC games are in customs on two different websites!

AlwaysWetID34 fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 6, 2013

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

McFunkerson posted:

So.... Tips for the people that have never imported anything from japan before and used EMS:

https://www.ems.com.cn is a shipping company out of china, not Japan. It took me 2 1/2 days entering my tracking number into the wrong site before I realized I needed to be at japanpost.jp

Your EMS tracking numbers should show up on the USPS website as well, the moment it switches hands if you're shipping to the US.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Dude definitely share it here!

Apologies for taking so long. Wanted to make sure I at least had two articles for each my projects up before showing everyone a whole lotta nothing.

The Randomizer: Bubsy II
The Randomizer: Fatal Rewind

I Hate Super Metroid - Part 1: The Challenge
I Hate Super Metroid - Part 2: Sea Legs

There's a couple of other experiments there as well; a Continue-esque Let's Play of Sunset Riders (MAME), a few "op-ed" pieces, etc.

I'm really focusing on The Randomizer and I Hate Super Metroid. The next Randomizer is going to be LoZ: Oracle of Ages. No idea how that's going to turn out with a 20 minute time limit.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Copper Vein posted:

A Genesis can be modded to output S-Video, but there is no room on the AV out for S-Video, so modded Genesis' have a S-Video port installed in their case instead. Therefore, there are no specific "Genesis S-Video Cables."

All Genesis' output RGB without a mod.

IMO an LCD is a bad option for gaming in general, but even if you purchased a RGB->Component transcoder for about $50, and your TV accepted the low-res signal that it outputted, the TV would invariably do a poor job in scaling that content up to the TV's native resolution, causing your retro games to have poor image quality even if you are feeding it a superior signal with RGB.

If you want to play low-res content on a modern TV, you want an upscaler to turn that content into 720p or 1080p so your TV doesn't have to. The XRGB Mini is obviously the current darling.

The cheapest route to RGB retro games is to get a CRT TV with component inputs and a RGB->Component transcoder, or just a CRT with SCART inputs if you are in Europe. Then just collect SCART cables for your old systems.

The CRT may be heavy and bulky, but it will display low-res content correctly with zero display lag and is the only type of display that can do so. That last point isn't important to everyone but I have played on a very, *very* nice XRGB Mini setup and the owner couldn't get the lag down to where it wasn't bothering me.

The lag was just something that I could feel during play, which means there was something being lost between the game and the player despite the thousands of dollars in AV equipment spent to mitigate it. If you can keep a CRT, it is better and cheaper for retro games.

Gotcha. I wondered why 5 minutes of googling I couldn't find the s-video cable! I have a CRT, but it's at my dad's house-no room for it here. :( Maybe when I move out, and one day i'll have a sweet xrgb setup like you guys.

Haha, this is a classic. Nobody is going to buy this. :D

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Unmature posted:

I do remember this. This is also the only time I remember ever wanting to go to McDonald's. I kept going back to see all the CDi games. At this point I was still trying to convince my parents to get me a Genesis and they were not having it because they thought who the gently caress would buy a Genesis if they had a SNES right?

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Apologies for taking so long. Wanted to make sure I at least had two articles for each my projects up before showing everyone a whole lotta nothing.

There's a couple of other experiments there as well; a Continue-esque Let's Play of Sunset Riders (MAME), a few "op-ed" pieces, etc.

I'm really focusing on The Randomizer and I Hate Super Metroid. The next Randomizer is going to be LoZ: Oracle of Ages. No idea how that's going to turn out with a 20 minute time limit.

Interesting stuff. Definitely keep us updated with new articles.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

RIVERS OF BLOOD. LoZ confirmed for most metal game on NES.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Man I guess I wasn't violent enough as a kid, I saw red and assumed 'lava'.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Makes me wish I had kept my original Zelda box

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I know this is a super long shot but I'd like to have a use for my stupid digital cable. Anyone happen to have a spice cube w/ digital out that would be open to some sort of trade for mine?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's from the Official Nintendo Player's Guide so it's not canon per se but it was published in 1987 directly by Nintendo and edited by everyone's favorite bow-tie wearing Howard Phillips.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
I figured I'd share a "discovery" I made a little while back.

Anyway, if you ever need a SNES AC adapter, you basically have two choices:

1. Hope to find an official one for cheap on ebay (unlikely)
2. Or buy one of those questionable "3 in 1" ac adapters

The official adapter is rated for 10 Volts. Almost all the cheap replacement adapters do 9V. And it'll work, but tolerances on these AC adaptors are all over the place. I've had AC adapter output less than 9V, and some almost outputting 10V. In other words, it's a crapshoot. And especially, if you're running a flashcart, you'll need all the juice you can get since they can be a bit power hungry.

Anyway, I found a legit 10V adapter on ebay (and they're plentiful). The great part is, they come with a removable tip.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/370752532885?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

According to the label, it does 9V-10V. According to my multimeter, it does 9.8V. Close enough.

Also, Radioshack sells tips called Adaptaplugs. You specifically need "Adaptaplug R" for the SNES. Should be $5 in Radioshack, maybe a little cheaper on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/110788491108?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Anyway, when you get them, you need to know that the SNES AC adapter is center pin negative. So, match the (-) marking on the adaptaplug tip with the "tip" marking from the AC adapter cord.

And just like that, you'll have a reliable AC adaptor. Figured I'd share, as you see people from time to time complain of problems that are likely caused by weak ac adaptors.

Edit:

Also, if you're looking for a replacement psu for the xrgb mini and don't want to spring $25 for that universal one, that same ebay seller sells another psu that meets the appropriate specs. It does 5V 3A (the mini's original psu does 2.3A). So it's a suitable replacement for those looking to have an ac adapter for 120V AC (as opposed to 100V AC).

Match it up with an "Adaptaplug B"
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Enercell-Adaptaplug-B-273-335-/121091026548?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c31966e74

and then you should be all set.

fatpat268 fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.

Lord Dudeguy posted:

I enjoyed the Super Metroid pieces quite a bit. Look forward to reading those and your other stuff.

• Locked thread