Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I'm hoping for Abe's manga getting an adaptation myself. Anime or live action. If live action, then starring Gascoin staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McLaglen
Nov 12, 2011

what is love?
what is free love?
what is love?
love is free.

:scotland:

Light Gun Man posted:

I'm hoping for Abe's manga getting an adaptation myself. Anime or live action. If live action, then starring Gascoin staff.

Ditto on this. Other welcome possibilities, in order of most-to-least welcome, would be:

● Getting the show licensed for international television (something like the UK's "Challenge TV" channel would be ideal).
● The existing DVD set licensed for distribution outside North America.
● More official translated episodes, (initially) streamed in the style of the Kotaak deal.
● Nintendo eShop games, in the style of Guild01 (ie. "Retro Game Challenge"-style creations, either standalone or available grouped).
● RS's book being sneakily 'recognised' by the show.
● Someone buying the rights to the show's format, adapting it for another country.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
You guys are all crazy. It's so obvious what the announcement is.

Kotaku has picked up a second season's worth of episodes, and will be using the same excellent localization service they used previously.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

xamphear posted:

You guys are all crazy. It's so obvious what the announcement is.

Kotaku has picked up a second season's worth of episodes, and will be using the same excellent localization service they used previously.
Given how much poo poo they got for the original Kotaku translations, I doubt they'd use those guys again (I don't think the RGM DVDs even acknowledged whoever did them). Hopefully, they get zari (or someone just as good) to do them.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I know it's been a little while since our last release, so heres a teaser to get you hyped up

I hope I didnt spoil too much.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Oh man, I know exactly what episode that comes from. It's the one where Arino struggles with a game and makes several obvious blunders.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"
Does the staff get frustrated with him in that one, too?

Lik
Apr 8, 2013

Kachou ON!

Gutcruncher posted:

I know it's been a little while since our last release, so heres a teaser to get you hyped up

YES!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

What is the Japanese name of the game translated in the Catch Copy segments as "After All!! It's Baseball"?

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Pastry of the Year posted:

What is the Japanese name of the game translated in the Catch Copy segments as "After All!! It's Baseball"?

"Nantatte!! Beesu Booru."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Pastry of the Year posted:

Nantettatte!! Baseball. From what I've gathered, it was fairly popular in Japan.

Edit: Beaten by someone who took the transliteration from Wikipedia. :v:

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary
So here's a question for you guys--how do you find out about GCCX events? Like, where can I find announcements for them and usually how far in advance are they announced and that sort of thing? I just got to Japan and will be here all summer so if there are any GCCX events I wanna be able to go to them. Iirc the USA trip had very, very little advance notice so I don't wanna miss anything if there are going to be any events this summer.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

McLaglen posted:

● Nintendo eShop games, in the style of Guild01 (ie. "Retro Game Challenge"-style creations, either standalone or available grouped).

Oh man, I hope it's this one. I need a Star Prince 3.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

GidgetNomates posted:

So here's a question for you guys--how do you find out about GCCX events?

Well, the one upcoming event that we know about is a press conference on the 14th. :v:

There's blurbs at the end of the episode and you can follow Producer Kan's twitter to stay on top of things as well.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
Anyone know the shipping cost if I were to import the GCCX Soundtrack from Amazon JP if it's being shipped to Arizona?

OrochiKiyo
Sep 9, 2012

bpc908 posted:

Anyone know the shipping cost if I were to import the GCCX Soundtrack from Amazon JP if it's being shipped to Arizona?

It depends on if you want it sent Express (EMS) or put on a boat (SAL), presuming Amazon.jp has those options available. SAL is cheaper, EMS is faster.

Lik
Apr 8, 2013

Kachou ON!

bpc908 posted:

Unless they changed it, Amazon Japan only allows Express shipping for International orders and they have a set amount for certain items. Check the shipping chart on their site.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I think to be able to retain their normal returns/refunds policy they no longer have SAL as an option, you have to use EMS. It's 2000 yen for a single-item order but you get a 5% discount on the site's advertised price because they take the Japanese sales tax off. Note that Amazon Japan will NOT export video games/electronics directly, I think they only do movies, CDs, and possibly books. If you want anything else from Amazon or something from an Amazon seller you have to use Tenso.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Gutcruncher posted:

I may be wrong, but I hope that it is the sub for the Iwate Trip/ Pilotwings Live special.

Also, is there a chance that the soundtrack be sold in a digital format. Amazon is good with selling MP3s.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

joek0 posted:

I may be wrong, but I hope that it is the sub for the Iwate Trip/ Pilotwings Live special.

Also, is there a chance that the soundtrack be sold in a digital format. Amazon is good with selling MP3s.

Amazon is TERRIBLE at selling MP3's; if you're outside of the U.S. you are poo poo out of luck.

And Japan as a whole is really behind on this whole "digital download of media" thing; coupled with the fact that this will be an expensive album for what it is, I wouldn't get my hopes up. Best-case scenario, it shows up on the Japanese iTunes store and/or PSN, but you'll need Japanese accounts which are loaded up using gift cards you'll have to pay extra for from an import retailer like Solaris Japan.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

univbee posted:

Amazon is TERRIBLE at selling MP3's; if you're outside of the U.S. you are poo poo out of luck.

And Japan as a whole is really behind on this whole "digital download of media" thing; coupled with the fact that this will be an expensive album for what it is, I wouldn't get my hopes up. Best-case scenario, it shows up on the Japanese iTunes store and/or PSN, but you'll need Japanese accounts which are loaded up using gift cards you'll have to pay extra for from an import retailer like Solaris Japan.

There's so many OSTs for older games I keep seeing on Amazon.jp and other distributors, and these are ones that are recently produced mind you, that I want but can't bring myself to pay that much for and that's before you factor in shipping. :(

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Prices for entertainment media (and because of that, digital downloads) in Japan are inflated as gently caress. Just don't bother.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Katana Gomai posted:

Prices for entertainment media (and because of that, digital downloads) in Japan are inflated as gently caress. Just don't bother.

But how else will I own Legend of Galactic Heroes? It's only 4 Blu-ray boxes, just over 100 episodes, so like 4 seasons of The Simpsons, and on "best price" Amazon, how much could that possibly co...

:stare:

and that's with the Yen at a historic low.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Obviously the solution to anime being one of the most pirated forms of media is to make it prohibitely expensive, be glad Japanese companies figured that out for you! :eng99:

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"
And because of that, I can't get Persona 4 blu-rays with subtitles.

Oh well, as long as it's on Hulu...

Chaindive
Sep 3, 2011
That's insane, I'm well aware of the price of Japanese media but that's just taking the piss.

Also am I the only one who thinks Metal Slug is crap? I've always thought it needed the ability to move backwards while shooting forwards as well as the ability to fire in all directions while standing still. Without this the game just stuffs you round and isn't fun at all imo. Hard Corps Uprising had these features and the game felt really fair and fluid as a result. I love old Neo Geo titles, even ones like the first Art of Fighting, World Heroes, Baseball Stars etc but Metal Slug can bugger right off! It's a plague found in every arcade I've ever been to, even here in Australia. I know it's a running joke or whatever but I wish they'd stop covering it in the Tamage segments, even the non-games like the coin flipping and ufo catcher machines are more interesting imo.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Chaindive posted:

Also am I the only one who thinks Metal Slug is crap?

Yes. :frogout:

To be less of a jerky jerk, I never felt the need to stand in place and shoot in Metal Slug, nor moonwalk. Just run up and knife people, c'mon.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Metal Slug 3 is the best game ever.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
The new Derby Stallion episode will start in about 30 mins. I can't wait for the raw to come out soon after.

Chaindive
Sep 3, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yes. :frogout:

To be less of a jerky jerk, I never felt the need to stand in place and shoot in Metal Slug, nor moonwalk. Just run up and knife people, c'mon.

Maybe crap was a bit harsh and yes, using the knife is fun. I'm thinking more of the boss fights which I thought were a bit on the tedious side, similar to 'shoot the core' fights in Gradius games that don't have that option in V that could be moved in any direction. I dunno pedantic things make me dislike a lot of games that are otherwise fine.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

univbee posted:

But how else will I own Legend of Galactic Heroes? It's only 4 Blu-ray boxes, just over 100 episodes, so like 4 seasons of The Simpsons, and on "best price" Amazon, how much could that possibly co...

About ten years ago, the company responsible for licensing it overseas floated a petition online to see if there was interest in a U.S. release of the 47 disc complete DVD set for around $2000. Amazingly enough, they failed to get the 1500 "yes" votes they were looking for.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Chaindive posted:

Also am I the only one who thinks Metal Slug is crap?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and emphatically say "Yes". There's not been a single moment in the Metal Slug Trilogy where I wasn't having an absolute blast. Is it "Gunstar Heroes"? No, but it's not trying to be. It's its own awesome thing, and it's amazing.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
Here is some possible new GCCX news.

From Twitter:

グレフ通信 公式アカウント ‏@grevUST 1h
先程放送の「ゲームセンターCX」で発表されましたが、今回弊社がゲーム化に携わることになりました!只今鋭意製作中でございます~頑張ります!詳細は今後の番組内にて! #GCCX #grev

joek0 fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 6, 2013

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

The question of life is not,
"Are you a catgirl?"
but rather, it is in fact,
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

joek0 posted:

Here is some possible new GCCX news.

That's just a thumbnail, dude. I'm squinting pretty hard but I just can't make out anything but "Game Center CX". The kanji are a total blur.

Edit: Ah, he fixed it. And this is interesting!

vvv I don't have much time at the sec but in short it sounds like they're involved in the production of a new game. Someone else can translate it properly.

Saralene fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 6, 2013

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Saralene posted:

That's just a thumbnail, dude. I'm squinting pretty hard but I just can't make out anything but "Game Center CX". The kanji are a total blur.

Edit: Ah, he fixed it. And this is interesting!

Can you translate the tweet for us.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

joek0 posted:

グレフ通信 公式アカウント ‏@grevUST 1h
先程放送の「ゲームセンターCX」で発表されましたが、今回弊社がゲーム化に携わることになりました!只今鋭意製作中でございます~頑張ります!詳細は今後の番組内にて! #GCCX #grev

"As announced on the recent broadcast of Game Center CX - Our company will be involved in making a GCCX game! We're working eagerly away right now, and we'll give it our best! See the next show for details!"

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Hokuto posted:

"As announced on the recent broadcast of Game Center CX - Our company will be involved in making a GCCX game! We're working eagerly away right now, and we'll give it our best! See the next show for details!"

Now I have to see the Derby Stallion raw.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Yep, there's gonna be a new GCCX game on 3DS (that's not the news I knew though). Also the next episode hint is "____2."

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Isn't the 3ds region locked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Heatwizard posted:

Isn't the 3ds region locked?

Yup. Guess I am going to import a 3DS after all. :retrogames: