Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Pigeon
Nov 2, 2010

smackfu posted:

One complication is that everyone values the minifigs at much more than their part count. 16 minifigs is not adding only $6 to the price.

On the flip side to this, if you ever want a bunch of pieces for pretty cheap, you can buy sets without minifigures on ebay for a pretty huge discount. I got a bunch of star wars ships for like 20-60 dollars off each just because I wasn't really interested in the minifigures and only wanted the ship. Chances are the ewok village without minifigures will probably only run you around 150ish dollars(which is like 7.5 cents a piece). I always end up buying one complete set though and then expanding on that set with the cheaper one without minifigures though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

FadingChord posted:

The presence of Imperial troops and Han being roasted on a spit clearly shows that the second Death Star hasn't blown up, so the ghosts haven't made an appearance. Plus Ghost Anakin wouldn't even exist at that point. :goonsay:

The helmet drum set says otherwise!

And why wouldn't ghost Anakin exist yet? He's the other old guy in that ghost trio. Those were prequels.

You're bad at :goonsay:

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

The Royal Scrub posted:

The helmet drum set says otherwise!

And why wouldn't ghost Anakin exist yet? He's the other old guy in that ghost trio. Those were prequels.

You're bad at :goonsay:

Because if Darth Vader is still alive then Ghost Anakin wouldn't exist?

I missed the helmet drum set though, so I'll just have to live with being bad at :goonsay: somehow.

Unrelated, but I picked up the Batcave at a local Wal-Mart for $15 off (I think it as $55?) so wave one DC Lego might be getting cleared out of your Wal-Mart too.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Guys, guys, what if... what if there were different scenes on the same set? Like, you could have the Ewok intro scene with the floating chair and Han on a spit and the celebration scene with the Trooper helmets and Leia's long hair! Mind boggling!

You're all terrible at :goonsay: :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I just want the scene where you can crush an at-st with two swinging logs.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

xzzy posted:

I just want the scene where you can crush an at-st with two swinging logs.

You could probably mod the tree that's farthest from the main group. I can't guarantee you'll get enough inertia to squish a LEGO AT-ST though.

parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...

rickiep00h posted:

You could probably mod the tree that's farthest from the main group. I can't guarantee you'll get enough inertia to squish a LEGO AT-ST though.

Just be loose in the assembly of the AT-ST. Push the pieces together just enough to hold the shape but no more.

I should clarify that I never had the Endor bunker set that came with the AT-ST so I'm not familiar with the assembly.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lego does break-away walls and stuff all the time. Just mod the AT-ST's side walls to be held on with a single stud that sits on a smooth plate and it'll pop apart with very little force. There's a wall like this in the Vampyre Castle.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

A little over a year ago I left my dark ages, just before I got a job working for LBR, and have been reintroducing myself to the joy of building and modeling with LEGO. I've bought myself several of the Star Wars sets released in the past year, assembled and displayed them, and upon discovering the LDD, turned my attention to working on prototyping MOCs. I started by downloading the PDFs of official sets and following the instructions while building them in the LDD, to get practice with the program (easy enough), and pick up interesting build techniques I'd never thought of using as a child (such as SNOT.) About a week ago, I was playing around with some bricks during break and the chassis of a micro-scale starship began to take shape. I made note of the pieces I used, and when I got home I began playing around with the idea in LDD. A few hours later, I was satisfied with the result of the starship, but I would like some critique from other AFOLs! Here are some of the screenshots I've taken of the frigate...

Click here to see the rest of the imgur album.

I'm also looking for a little bit of advice on designing small turrets to place along the port and starboard sides of the vessel. Thus far everything I've come up with looks too bulky and oversized for the scale I'm going for (the 1x2 trans plate in the bridge tower is at least 15 meters in height.)

(Edited for gross overestimation of the scale of the 1x2 trans piece.)

Neurion fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jun 4, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No comments on the build, but it looks neat and a lot like a cargo ship straight out of X3 Reunion.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

anthraciteDragon posted:

A little over a year ago I left my dark ages, just before I got a job working for LBR, and have been reintroducing myself to the joy of building and modeling with LEGO. I've bought myself several of the Star Wars sets released in the past year, assembled and displayed them, and upon discovering the LDD, turned my attention to working on prototyping MOCs. I started by downloading the PDFs of official sets and following the instructions while building them in the LDD, to get practice with the program (easy enough), and pick up interesting build techniques I'd never thought of using as a child (such as SNOT.) About a week ago, I was playing around with some bricks during break and the chassis of a micro-scale starship began to take shape. I made note of the pieces I used, and when I got home I began playing around with the idea in LDD. A few hours later, I was satisfied with the result of the starship, but I would like some critique from other AFOLs! Here are some of the screenshots I've taken of the frigate...

Click here to see the rest of the imgur album.

I'm also looking for a little bit of advice on designing small turrets to place along the port and starboard sides of the vessel. Thus far everything I've come up with looks too bulky and oversized for the scale I'm going for (the 1x2 trans plate in the bridge tower is at least 15 meters in height.)

(Edited for gross overestimation of the scale of the 1x2 trans piece.)

Reminds me of the Pillar of Autumn from Halo.
Yeah, one of the problems with microscale is finding weapons or other details that aren't obscenely oversized. A 15 meter high plate would translate to something like a 75 meter long barrel if you used a control stick. Maybe just the base of the control stick without the lever could work as a recessed turret, especially if you put it between the 2x3s on the side (replacing those with tiles might make it look better). Binoculars are another commonly used mini turret. Some very tiny pieces came with Star Wars sets, used as antennae for clonetrooper helmets and the like, which may work if you can find a way to fit them in. Then there are tools like the screwdriver or lipstick.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Pyroclastic posted:

Maybe just the base of the control stick without the lever could work as a recessed turret, especially if you put it between the 2x3s on the side (replacing those with tiles might make it look better). Binoculars are another commonly used mini turret. Some very tiny pieces came with Star Wars sets, used as antennae for clonetrooper helmets and the like, which may work if you can find a way to fit them in. Then there are tools like the screwdriver or lipstick.

That's my only major complaint about the LDD: it doesn't allow you to delete sub-parts of an element (the lever from the control stick, or a minifigure torso and arms leaving the hands) without deleting the entire element. :(

I played around with some of the minifig accessory pieces, seeing what might work, and settled on Wolverine's claw braces (element #88811) on being a suitable piece for a turret. I didn't like how it looked on the model, though, so I've settled for not having turret detail at this scale. It's not meant to be a well-armed frigate after all. It's mostly a freighter that's been refitted for light patrol duty.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Reminds me of an Ion Frigate from Homeworld. ;)

Anyway, I'd second the Binoculars as a twin barrel turret, though ultimately anything you use is going to have a "ridiculously large" feel to it.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

What about leaving a 1x1(or smaller) space in the side, and mounting antenna inside sticking out... Like cannons on a pirate ship.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

How about a 1 x 1 brick with Headlight with a control stick mounted behind it, poking through the hole?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Torael_7 posted:

Reminds me of an Ion Frigate from Homeworld. ;)
Homeworld is indeed my primary inspiration for starship designs, followed by Star Wars expanded universe ships :)

RodShaft posted:

What about leaving a 1x1(or smaller) space in the side, and mounting antenna inside sticking out... Like cannons on a pirate ship.
Ooo, I like this idea! May be a little tough with what's beneath the 1 x 4 yellow bricks (a flat surface; the 2 x 3 plates are what's holding them between the roofing bricks without them falling out), but I like it and I'm going to make note of it for future MOCs!

On second thought :raise:, the interior of the ship needn't be set in stone.. this calls for experimentation! :science:

Patchwork Shaman posted:

How about a 1 x 1 brick with Headlight with a control stick mounted behind it, poking through the hole?
Another good idea which I'm going to add to my notes, but a little too tall for the scale I'm going with. Thanks, though! :)

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

anthraciteDragon posted:

Another good idea which I'm going to add to my notes, but a little too tall for the scale I'm going with. Thanks, though! :)

Aren't there 2x3 plates with tecnic holes in them?

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

RodShaft posted:

Aren't there 2x3 plates with tecnic holes in them?

Nope.

There is this, but it's a whole different beast really: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=3176

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

here's some mockups of some ideas I had for turrets.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 6, 2013

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

RodShaft posted:

here's some mockups of some ideas I had for turrets.

Thanks for doing that for me, but I'm afraid I already went ahead and used some screwdrivers inserted into round plate with a hole in to do the trick :shobon:

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Shredder's claws might make good micro-scale weapons. They're smaller than Wolverine's, and have that back thing.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.
Picked up the Superman: Black Zero Escape set. Holy hell Zod is one bitchin minifig with his armor. So I'm curios, what's ya'lls favourite minifigure licensed or unlicensed?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I've always liked the shoulder plate from the UFO line and the ice planet head with white bangs.

Not that that's any one minifig or anything.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

squarerandom posted:

Picked up the Superman: Black Zero Escape set. Holy hell Zod is one bitchin minifig with his armor. So I'm curios, what's ya'lls favourite minifigure licensed or unlicensed?

Zod is indeed awesome and that helmet is going to be a favourite with Fallout / etc... fans.

I really like the Boushh minifigure, the printing is phenomenal and the helmet is perfect.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Blacktron II with Jetpack, motherfuckers.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

God drat it. I'm almost done with the Volkswagen T1 Camper Van and I didn't realize that it didn't have any mini-figs in there. I guess I have to make my own from a Lego store when I stop by. I could have SWORN I saw a review showing a surfer or something like that.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Captain Invictus posted:

Blacktron II with Jetpack, motherfuckers.

That was my favourite as a kid.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

But minifigs don't fit into my micro/mid-scale builds.
That said, Ice planet dudes own.
Oh god, i think i know of a way to fit minifigs in a micro build, is there a dinosaur minifig?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

AzMiLion posted:

But minifigs don't fit into my micro/mid-scale builds.
That said, Ice planet dudes own.
Oh god, i think i know of a way to fit minifigs in a micro build, is there a dinosaur minifig?

There's Lizardman. Or maybe those new Chima sets may have a dinosaur looking guy. There's also actual dinosaurs at minifig scale. They're really cool but may be too big for your purposes.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

obi_ant posted:

God drat it. I'm almost done with the Volkswagen T1 Camper Van and I didn't realize that it didn't have any mini-figs in there. I guess I have to make my own from a Lego store when I stop by. I could have SWORN I saw a review showing a surfer or something like that.

But it's not minifig scale, is it?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

smackfu posted:

But it's not minifig scale, is it?

Not even remotely. At a push it's Technic figure scale.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
Brick Daddy has a few things to say in regards to the 'best' minifig. :colbert:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

squarerandom posted:

I'm a sucker for the dwarf minifigs myself.

Oh! And the Porkins fig.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Voodoo posted:

Brick Daddy has a few things to say in regards to the 'best' minifig. :colbert:

Yeah, he also says it's totally the Blacktron II jetpack. Dude's got good taste. :cthulhu:

EDIT: although my personal favorite has always been black-sleeved forestman

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This was a cool story to wake up and read:

http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2013/jun/HQ_13-173_Lego_NASA_Competition.html

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
This is my favorite licensed minifig.

Non-licensed is probably the classic astronaut.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Too bad he's wearing the wrong helmet. :colbert:

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

xzzy posted:

Too bad he's wearing the wrong helmet. :colbert:

You find a classic helmet with an intact chinstrap and we'll talk. :colbert:

:smith:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Lizard Combatant posted:

There's Lizardman. Or maybe those new Chima sets may have a dinosaur looking guy. There's also actual dinosaurs at minifig scale. They're really cool but may be too big for your purposes.

and

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Lizardman rules.

Umbra Dubium posted:

You find a classic helmet with an intact chinstrap and we'll talk. :colbert:

:smith:

I have about 20 classic space guys in pretty bad shape but the other day I found a black one in mint condition! Badge print is great and the chin strap intact. I was so happy