Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Seriously. That's heirloom material right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
So my roommates and friends are getting married late this summer. They have SO MUCH kitchen stuff, also they are lawyers, so all their lawyer friends and bosses are loaded and buying them things off their registry like $200 water pitchers from Crate and Barrel. I am not loaded. I can sew though, and I can sew quilts, so I was thinking of making them some sort of memory quilt with pictures contributed by their friends from college. Is this a tacky gift? They are not tacky people, but I thought it might be a cute thing for them to have like on a den couch or something.
I know this is totally doable, and I've helped with memory quilts in the past (although this one might be more involved because I'm going to surreptitiously copy things like their diplomas and I'd really like to get like short letters from their parents to put in there.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

Eponine posted:

So my roommates and friends are getting married late this summer. They have SO MUCH kitchen stuff, also they are lawyers, so all their lawyer friends and bosses are loaded and buying them things off their registry like $200 water pitchers from Crate and Barrel. I am not loaded. I can sew though, and I can sew quilts, so I was thinking of making them some sort of memory quilt with pictures contributed by their friends from college. Is this a tacky gift? They are not tacky people, but I thought it might be a cute thing for them to have like on a den couch or something.
I know this is totally doable, and I've helped with memory quilts in the past (although this one might be more involved because I'm going to surreptitiously copy things like their diplomas and I'd really like to get like short letters from their parents to put in there.

I think it will mean a lot more to them than a $200 pitcher. It's a huge task unless you really care about them I think.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Eponine posted:

I can sew though, and I can sew quilts, so I was thinking of making them some sort of memory quilt with pictures contributed by their friends from college.
Actually, if you can sew quilts, make them a regular quilt in colors you've seen them wear. IMHO a well-made patchwork quilt is much more beautiful than a well-made memory quilt.

My mom gave me the pick of the family quilts recently. I didn't want the signature quilt all her friends had made for her wedding; I wanted the ones whose colors I liked.

e: Hodja's Bitch's memory quilt on the previous page is strikingly well-made and handsome. I've seen lots of memory quilts that weren't.

HodjasBitch
Apr 24, 2003

Too bad you revealed what a huge asshole you are so early in the game.....I woulda put out.
Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Actually, if you can sew quilts, make them a regular quilt in colors you've seen them wear. IMHO a well-made patchwork quilt is much more beautiful than a well-made memory quilt.

My mom gave me the pick of the family quilts recently. I didn't want the signature quilt all her friends had made for her wedding; I wanted the ones whose colors I liked.

e: Hodja's Bitch's memory quilt on the previous page is strikingly well-made and handsome. I've seen lots of memory quilts that weren't.

I second making a regular quilt. Gathering all of the photos and stuff and transferring them will be a pain in the rear end. Then, you won't want to stitch over them, and that limits your design and the longevity of the quilt. If you're so inclined, make a mini of the wedding invite maybe?

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

HodjasBitch posted:

I second making a regular quilt. Gathering all of the photos and stuff and transferring them will be a pain in the rear end. Then, you won't want to stitch over them, and that limits your design and the longevity of the quilt. If you're so inclined, make a mini of the wedding invite maybe?

Oooooh that's a good idea. Maybe a quilt with the tag of the wedding invite on the inside? I'm thinking of a smaller wall-hanging but I'm worried quilted wall-hangings are really 80's and no one ever had the heart to tell me.

HodjasBitch
Apr 24, 2003

Too bad you revealed what a huge asshole you are so early in the game.....I woulda put out.
Fun Shoe
Here's another idea for you. I've used this as a quilt label in the past, but you can work it into a whole quilt. You can have the insides of them signed and personalized in any way you want.

Envelope label

Linky to a different type of envelope quilt. Not too huge.

Envelope quilt tutorial

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy

Eponine posted:

Oooooh that's a good idea. Maybe a quilt with the tag of the wedding invite on the inside? I'm thinking of a smaller wall-hanging but I'm worried quilted wall-hangings are really 80's and no one ever had the heart to tell me.

Frankly, they're not at all my style, but I don't know your friends. If it were me, a basic quilt with colors I liked that I could use as a throw on the couch while watching TV or take to the park to sit on at a concert would be a much more useful gift.

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you
You could make the quilt in the wedding colours, if they have a specific theme.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Zratha posted:

You could make the quilt in the wedding colours, if they have a specific theme.

Her theme is dots, which makes sense. I talked to the bride's best friend and she thinks the bride would really like the idea. They've spent a lot of time away from each other, and they're going to be in different places for a year after the wedding, too.

I'm going to have a lot of time to handpiece things, so I was thinking of doing something really small around the border and then piecing the big squares. I'll do a border of dotted fabric, then 12 big squares that I can put pictures in.

The wedding is September 1st. I'm going to try and piece the top first so I can at least present it at the wedding. Then I can do the handquilting on it after the wedding.

Muffy_the_Diver
Oct 19, 2004

ALL ABOARD THE BUTT TRAIN
If you have the time/inclination, you could do a classy patchwork on one side, and a simple memory piecing on the other (or even just piecing a few key memory pieces into the backing)? That way you've got the best of both worlds. I've also seen more subtle quilts where the patchwork is "normal" and then the quilting itself is done in cursive, or with important imagery. Just use thread that contrasts with the backing (and make the text readable from the back) and you're golden.

I definitely think they will appreciate your effort far more than any expensive kitchen doodads.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE
I want to begin by warning everyone that I am a super amateur (it's like being a regular amateur, but SUPER) and only know a little about sewing. I have a sewing machine that I got for Christmas that I haven't yet touched for fear that I'll attempt to thread the bobbin and somehow cause the whole thing to catch on fire. So anything I do is hand-stitched.

Anyway! I work mostly with crochet, but I was making a baby blanket and had an idea for making a little skirt for my daughter. What I'm intending to do is make a top piece that starts with a tight stitch and ends up looser as the skirt goes on, and then lining it with one row of white netting and one row each of a pink and yellow tulle. That way the skirt puffs out a bit.

That's the plan, at any rate. But I have a dumb question about the tulle--I can't imagine that it needs to be hemmed in any way, does it? That seems contrary to what little I know about fabric.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Technically it doesn't need hemming because it doesn't fray. Tulle is basically plastic netting, but unlike woven or knit fabrics, the fibers are fused together. However, depending on the garment, it may be uncomfortable to leave the edges unfinished because the raw edges can be scratchy or pokey. Hemming them may fix this, but sewing tulle can be a serious pain. Encasing the edge in ribbon might be easier, because then you'll have some fabric to sew through, and it'll look fancier, too. Something kinda like this:

Alternately, she can just wear a slip under the garment and it should be fine, unless you have really stiff tulle.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE
The tulle is nice and soft, but I will admit that I like the look of the ribbon a lot. Alternatively, my daughter is a weirdo and refuses to wear any skirt without tights or trousers or something underneath it, so it should be fine.

Thank you for the advice! This is my first foray into clothes (that aren't, like, socks and scarves) so I tried to choose a project that's touted as "generally pretty simple".

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again
edit: read books, now I'm good

Landrobot fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 15, 2013

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Another newbie to the thread here, I decided to learn to sew because I was tired of not finding clothes I liked and wanted to make my own so I got my first sewing machine (which I'm told is a good one for beginners) some beginner patterns that were recommended to me by the nice lady at the fabric shop and a donation of three crates of old fabric mostly from old curtains and bedsheets from my grandmother and aunt.

Honestly though, I'm a bit overwhelmed! I know I need to practice stuff to be able to learn to do it properly and I know I won't be perfect at it on the first try but its very easy for me to get discouraged with this. For a start, I cannot for the life of me learn how to cut fabric straight, it always seems to veer off one direction or another and completely gently caress up what I'm doing. I can't stitch straight either either because I'm not pinning things together straight, the aforementioned wonkily cut fabric or because I'm still trying to train myself out of the urge to pull the fabric through the machine while its stitching instead of just guiding it on its natural, straight path. I know the answer is probably "you'll get better with practice" but if I can't get these two skills down properly then I'm not gonna be able to make the things I want to make. It may seem a silly question but is there something specific I can do to help me out with this?

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Faerie Fortune posted:

For a start, I cannot for the life of me learn how to cut fabric straight, it always seems to veer off one direction or another and completely gently caress up what I'm doing. I can't stitch straight either either because I'm not pinning things together straight, the aforementioned wonkily cut fabric or because I'm still trying to train myself out of the urge to pull the fabric through the machine while its stitching instead of just guiding it on its natural, straight path. It may seem a silly question but is there something specific I can do to help me out with this?

Practice is absolutely the answer. Make sure you take your time when you're doing things, don't try to rush it. Make sure you've got the pattern onto the fabric exactly how you want it before you cut anything, and double-check it before you get the scissors out. Cut slowly so you don't mess up your lines. When you pin things, double-check it again and do some large running stitches to hold it together before you machine-sew. When sewing, resist the urge to hurry things along and let the machine go at its own pace. Again, take your time to make absolutely certain you're doing it how you want before you do anything that would be difficult to fix. It might seem tiresome to go so slowly and constantly check everything, but it'll build your skill and confidence, and speed will come with practice.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

So basically I just need to learn to be patient and forgive myself for making mistakes. I can live with that! I have all this spare fabric so I might spend today with some of the curtain material I won't really use for anything else practicing just...cutting it and making sure its straight.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
The first thing you make will be horrible-looking. I mean, maybe you will be the exception to this rule, but typically the first thing you make will look like it can only fit the Frankenstein Monster's left nutsack. I tell you this because it happens to everyone and you can't see it as a failure of your own.

My "secret" (irony quotes because I'm not especially talented, but it works with me) is to match my breathing up with my cutting to slow myself down. It works well for me, since I definitely have a tendency to rush through things for no reason.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Faerie Fortune posted:

So basically I just need to learn to be patient and forgive myself for making mistakes. I can live with that! I have all this spare fabric so I might spend today with some of the curtain material I won't really use for anything else practicing just...cutting it and making sure its straight.

Practice with the spare fabric. Check out sewing blogs for tips on cutting out patterns. Take a beginner's class at a local store- fabric or sewing machine stores offer them. Craftsy.com may also have some online classes that could help too. Make sure you start with easy things and be patient :)

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Something I learned in my first couple months of sewing (which I am still in): Vogue "Easy" and real person "easy" bear little relation.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Chitin posted:

Something I learned in my first couple months of sewing (which I am still in): Vogue "Easy" and real person "easy" bear little relation.

Yeah. Simplicity has a good easy line that I would try first.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Palisader posted:

The tulle is nice and soft, but I will admit that I like the look of the ribbon a lot. Alternatively, my daughter is a weirdo and refuses to wear any skirt without tights or trousers or something underneath it, so it should be fine.

My friend's three year old has to wear tights or pants under her short skirts for everyone else's sanity, and she recently has taken to asking me if I'm allowed to take my pants off whenever I want, and if she can take her pants off whenever she wants when she's old. :cripes:

Does anyone else here start dreaming about sewing after they haven't touched a sewing machine in a couple weeks? This happens every time I stop sewing.

HodjasBitch
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Another tip for cutting straight is to use sharp scissors! Do not use them for anything BUT fabric. I have threatened to kill anyone who uses my dedicated sewing or embroidery scissors.

pack it yo
Aug 6, 2007

HodjasBitch posted:

:2bong:

Ah, I remember learning that lesson. On the same pair of pajama pants, I made the elastic casing too low, and was never able to wear them in mixed company because they were obscene. I had used an old pair as a pattern that a)were stretchy and b)had a wide elastic band waist with no casing. Duh.

I just finished a memorial quilt for my Mom's co-worker. Her son died in January, and she wanted something done with his t-shirts and soccer uniforms. I don't have a full pic yet because this monster is 84" x 84", but here are some close-ups of it and a quilted sham I made. It's the third one of these I've done in a row, and I can't wait to start using prettier fabric again. My shoulders are killing me from wrestling this bastard in and out of the throat of my machine to quilt.

eta: I'm still thinking about rounding out the corners of that sham.

Ha, it's all trial & error, right?? I'm attempting this pattern today with some crushed velvet type material.

Your quilting looks great! Of course, I'm no expert on quilting... When I got my sewing machine it was quite a surprise to see all the crazy quilting stitch settings for the first time. I had no idea what they were! "Why would anyone... need that.. weird looking.....?"

Sew on my friends!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

What I learned to do in home ec, and still think a good idea, is this:

* Put a needle you're willing to throw away in the machine.
* Draw a bunch of straight lines on a piece of paper. Draw a spiral on another piece. Draw a curve on another.
* Stitch along the lines on the paper.

Repeat until you can follow the paper lines without any trouble. Then throw away the needle and proceed to a real project. This lets you learn the skill of guiding the needle separate from everything else.

As far as the fabric crawling on you: What fabric are you starting with? You want to start with a tightly-woven non-shiny fabric. Cotton or linen is ideal. Wash before sewing. When you lay it out on a flat surface, weight it down (cans will do just fine) and then lay the pattern pieces on the fabric and pin.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Pile of Kittens posted:

Does anyone else here start dreaming about sewing after they haven't touched a sewing machine in a couple weeks? This happens every time I stop sewing.

This whole academic year I haven't had my sewing machine, so not to get distracted (the ukulele has filled that slot nicely instead!). I miss it so much! Can't wait to move into my next flat and get a little quilt production line started.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

My mother went to this and met Maya Donenfeld and long story short I have a signed copy of Maya's book Reinvention: Sewing with Rescued Materials. There's some really cool stuff in here, like zippered pouches made from Tyvek mailers, a quilt made of old T-shirts, and a whole bunch of ways to recycle old jeans.

That last one is great for me because my aunt just sent me a huge bag full of sizable denim scraps (mostly chopped off pant legs). I think I might make a blanket.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

As far as the fabric crawling on you: What fabric are you starting with? You want to start with a tightly-woven non-shiny fabric. Cotton or linen is ideal. Wash before sewing. When you lay it out on a flat surface, weight it down (cans will do just fine) and then lay the pattern pieces on the fabric and pin.

If this is directed to me (I think it is) I am stupid as hell and used a stretchy cotton type fabric that I salvaged from a dress. It was the only thing I had in the colour I wanted and I regret it, because holy poo poo it was a pain in the arse to deal with and kept sticking to my carpet and I just could not get things lined up. I have some more fabric now though, mostly cotton of varying weights so that should go a bit better!

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

Bertrand Hustle posted:

That last one is great for me because my aunt just sent me a huge bag full of sizable denim scraps (mostly chopped off pant legs). I think I might make a blanket.

I have bags of jeans also! I'm itching to turn them into a quilt. I have the denim needle ready and all.

Have been working on the below instead though:

So many quilts, so little time.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

meche posted:

I have bags of jeans also! I'm itching to turn them into a quilt. I have the denim needle ready and all.

Is the pink and orange one single? I want to marry it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Meche, I love your color and fabric choices. Gorgeous.

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

Thanks guys! Quilts are my favorite.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

meche posted:

I found an intact pair of smallish boys' jeans, cut the bottom off (drew a straight line across with a ruler, just under the back pockets) and turned it into a purse. My mother loves it and she wants to embroider all kinds of cool little things on it and make some kind of strap for it.

If you do this, I recommend sewing a straight line down just inside the zipper, so it doesn't come open and dump all your stuff.

I might do another one, but it's a rainy day and I want to work on my haphazard denim quilt-thing.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

meche posted:

Ahh! I love the bottom one--I think gray is under utilized in quilts! I guess I should update ya'll on the Dear Jane Quilt From Hell.

I'm juuuuust about halfway through. So, you know, only a couple more years to go. All hand piece/appliqued. Starting to think about sashing/borders now. I don't want to use black, I'm deciding between medium gray or chocolate brown. Thoughts?

The Irish Chain quilt has been declared 'done enough' so I can start using it for the summer. I didn't get to finish all of the medallions in the center of the gray blocks, but I figure I can do it in the winter when I switch over to a heavier blanket.

One of the medallions that is finished.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Goldaline posted:

Ahh! I love the bottom one--I think gray is under utilized in quilts! I guess I should update ya'll on the Dear Jane Quilt From Hell.

I'm juuuuust about halfway through. So, you know, only a couple more years to go. All hand piece/appliqued. Starting to think about sashing/borders now. I don't want to use black, I'm deciding between medium gray or chocolate brown. Thoughts?

Day-amn. That is GORGEOUS. Can I come sleep at your house? That is just beautiful.

I would go with the chocolate brown, because you really want those squares to pop against the background. Furthermore, in the picture at least, some of the squares are visually close to a medium gray. You might also consider a very dark pine green.

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

Goldaline posted:

Thanks! I LOVE your dear jane! I often don't like them because so many of them are so....well, brown! Yours pops, it's great.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

If you do this, I recommend sewing a straight line down just inside the zipper, so it doesn't come open and dump all your stuff.

Thanks for the tip - I think I'm aiming for a quilt, but it'd be nice to do something smaller. I'm obsessed with quilts, but they are an investment in time!

HodjasBitch
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Word.

I have all the time in the world, but I'm a little burned out on consignment quilts. I also can't keep my mouth shut about the gifts I'm planning on making for family, so I put pressure on myself to get them done. I'm currently throwing a private tantrum where I don't want to sew anything I'm supposed to be sewing. The problem with that is, I start ten new projects for other people, and then I'm still pissed off because I haven't actually had the chance to finish a quilt for myself!

Meanwhile, there are 360 triangles cut out and stacked on my table. My mother's birthday is July 9th, and I'm making it very difficult for myself to finish an 80 x 90 pyramid quilt on time with my shenanigans. I made this silly poo poo, though.

I did sell the first one with the elephants on the back, and the pillow is going in a pizza "gift" bag for Father's day tomorrow.

Teka
Oct 5, 2012

vaguely posted:

Practice is absolutely the answer. Make sure you take your time when you're doing things, don't try to rush it. Make sure you've got the pattern onto the fabric exactly how you want it before you cut anything, and double-check it before you get the scissors out. Cut slowly so you don't mess up your lines. When you pin things, double-check it again and do some large running stitches to hold it together before you machine-sew. When sewing, resist the urge to hurry things along and let the machine go at its own pace. Again, take your time to make absolutely certain you're doing it how you want before you do anything that would be difficult to fix. It might seem tiresome to go so slowly and constantly check everything, but it'll build your skill and confidence, and speed will come with practice.

Sounds like you are not getting the fabric grain straight when you cut. Are you pulling the grain straight before you cut? The warp and the weft threads need to be be at 90 degree angles in order for the grain to be straight when you cut. If they aren't your fabric will end up with a bias cut and it will sag on one side. If you have a cutting board, you can pin it down after stretching it straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

HodjasBitch posted:

Meanwhile, there are 360 triangles cut out and stacked on my table. My mother's birthday is July 9th, and I'm making it very difficult for myself to finish an 80 x 90 pyramid quilt on time with my shenanigans. I made this silly poo poo, though.

I love pyramid quilts, well any one patches really. Would love to see it. Love the one with the elephant back, the fabric line is great - the backing looks a bit Dr Seuss-ish.

I do sometimes wish I picked a craft which is a bit quicker...but then I just keep making them.