Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StopShootingMe
Jun 8, 2004

I can't believe I spent $5 on this title.
I did a wreck dive yesterday with my GoPro, first time with it. I was pretty impressed with the video, not so much the stills underwater. It would be greatly improved with the use of a pistol grip mount or something else to steady it during filming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macado
Jun 3, 2003

How to keep an idiot busy, Click here.
No crazy tech dives this weekend but conditions were excellent for New England. Water is starting to warm up. I'm still getting about 48-49f at depth and around 53-54f on surface. Better than the 36f I was getting this winter! Visibility was about 20-25ft on all dives.

Took half day Thursday (twilight and night dive) and full-day Friday off and did some shore diving for lobsters. It's still a bit early in the season but the lobsters are back.

Did a little scalloping at night. We dove a site called Old Garden Beach which is very common for openwater checkout dives. Most people only go about 30-35fsw here but if you do a really long surface swim you can hit depths of around ~60fsw where there is a nice little scallop bed that you can hit from a shore dive. Took of a hidden secret, a lot of scallop beds are only diveable via boats.

Friday's dive site was Loblolly Cove. Another relatively shallow site without doing a long surface swim. Average depth around ~40fsw. Tons of lobsters out here.

Got 3 lobsters on Thursday and 4 lobsters on Friday. Took an offgas day on Saturday and went to beach(It was like 94F in Boston).

On Sunday, went out on a charter to Graves Light in Boston Harbor; probably one of my favorite dive sites in Boston Harbor when the conditions are right. Huge granite boulders, tons of cracks and swim-thrus. Site goes down to about 65-70fsw to the sand. Got another 4 lobsters, huge schools of pollock and tons of harbor seals still out there.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Had two short dives in terrible via and cold water today but loved it. Near then end of my BSAC sports diver now and the two dives were about using surface marker boys and running a line. I was fine with the line when I was letting it run out but reeling it back in while controlling my buoyancy started to task load me abit. Vis went down to practically zero in one part of the lake which was an interesting experience and on a slightly. Quite pleased with my choice of bright line for the reel I bought as it stood out very well in the gloom whereas white was invisible till it tried to tangle fins.

Oh yeah spot all the wrong things in this pic

Leaving the mesh on the tank is a bad idea, but other than that i'm not seeing much. I don't know what kind of reg that is, but i can tell its a din valve. Hosewise, it looks like its setup for a drysuit. Primary/octo on the right (octo hose should be yellow), and left has the HP hose for your spg/console, LP inflator for the bcd, and drysuit inflator hose hanging off the back. Also, i've never seen a handle on a tank like that, so i'm not sure if that falls into that category.

Explain

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Gindack posted:

Just got back from my pool dive today and man it was amazing, but I have discovered that I have absolutely no sense of control. On the surface it felt like my BCD want to put my face in the water(think too much weight in the front pockets) and not let me stand straight up. Under the water only way I could hover for the skill check was to do it face down rear end up.

Have to say my favorite part was at the very end when my Instructor had to help another student at the surface I just laid at the bottom of the pool looking up and watching my bubbles break the surface.

Also what do you guys think of the Gopro? Are they a decent entry level recorder/camera? I can get a pretty decent discount through work so I was thinking about picking one up.

Yes, GoPro is amazing. Get the black, and a spare battery. You'll need it.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

East gales to 35 kt. Wind waves 17 ft. Scattered showers.

Its time to DIVE

macado posted:

No crazy tech dives this weekend but conditions were excellent for New England. Water is starting to warm up. I'm still getting about 48-49f at depth and around 53-54f on surface. Better than the 36f I was getting this winter! Visibility was about 20-25ft on all dives.

Is it crazy to bust out a full CCR rig with 18/45 and 30/25 bailout to dive to to 60ft or shallower? LOL...

drat it too hard to change my gas mixtures.. read that as // lazy lazy // I will say though that the helium makes you by far less tired! that is a serious added bonus!

Macado and Bishop have you noticed a serious decrease in the amount of tired you experience when you dive on helium? I swear the partial pressure of nitrogen being lowered and replaced with helium that permeates in and out of the body easier does less damage to your body thus makes you less tired. I feel wonderful after dives on helium.. CCR on Air I feel good, OC on nitrox I feel ok.. OC on air even to 30ft I feel like hammered poo poo.. after 30 mins. I did 5 hours total bottom time on my CCR with Trimix last Sat and felt better than 2 OC dives for 30 mins.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Crunkjuice posted:

Leaving the mesh on the tank is a bad idea, but other than that i'm not seeing much. I don't know what kind of reg that is, but i can tell its a din valve. Hosewise, it looks like its setup for a drysuit. Primary/octo on the right (octo hose should be yellow), and left has the HP hose for your spg/console, LP inflator for the bcd, and drysuit inflator hose hanging off the back. Also, i've never seen a handle on a tank like that, so i'm not sure if that falls into that category.

Explain

Minor but the first stage is upside down. Didn't really notice it when i got the set but the regs and hoses should be the other way round. Plus i somehow manged to thread the cam bands opposite way round. The tank is my dive clubs, they're all like that.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
How did I just find this thread!?

I am going to Cancun in 2 weeks and have been doing all my classroom and pool stuff here in Boston. Then going to do the open water dives in Mexico

and then? I dunno. I do the OW stuff the 2nd two days I am in Cancun and I have like 3 more days after that with no plans.

Are there any dives in Cancun I MUST do?

I also cant wait to do lobster dives this summer. That just sounds so awesome.

macado
Jun 3, 2003

SlicerDicer posted:

Is it crazy to bust out a full CCR rig with 18/45 and 30/25 bailout to dive to to 60ft or shallower? LOL...

Macado and Bishop have you noticed a serious decrease in the amount of tired you experience when you dive on helium?

Haha. There are people that come on the dive boat and bring their rebreather setups for recreational lobster and scallop dives above 60ft :-) Happens all the time. Makes sense I guess if you want to log more hours or have a little time left in your scrubber to kill? :-) I'm not a rebreather pilot yet so I dont know. I'm thinking i'm probably 2-3 years away from purchasing my first rebreather. Everyone up here dives rEvos it seems. I'm thinking a rEvo or Hollis Prism 2 but I guess a lot can change by the time I'm ready to purchase.

I've started carrying an AL80 stage bottle to get used to the drag along with my AL40.

I still bust out my doubles for a lot of shallow stuff but I prefer single tank diving for scallop diving or anything with a lot current. Trying to fight current in doubles sucks, for those dives I like my HP120s. A lot of times we don't always hit some of the dive sites at slack tides and I like to be able to swim into current when I'm scalloping for better visibility.

Having only done two trimix dives so far it's hard for me to say yet. My goal this year is to get a lot more technical dives in the 150fsw-180fsw range with normoxic trimix.

I've done some stuff around ~150-170fsw on air (*shutter*) so it will be very interesting to re-experience those dives in trimix.

I certainly notice that I feel much better doing my deco on pure O2 as opposed to 50%.

For most techish dives, I cut tables using VPM-B (V-Planner), photocopy them and tape them to my wrist slate. I'll still run on my computer's deco profile but do the stops spit out by V-Planner

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

BlueBayou posted:

How did I just find this thread!?

I am going to Cancun in 2 weeks and have been doing all my classroom and pool stuff here in Boston. Then going to do the open water dives in Mexico

and then? I dunno. I do the OW stuff the 2nd two days I am in Cancun and I have like 3 more days after that with no plans.

Are there any dives in Cancun I MUST do?

I also cant wait to do lobster dives this summer. That just sounds so awesome.

Some more experienced cancun divers will probably chime in, but i loved my dive off the Santa Rosa wall. Its a very popular wall down there that starts around 80 feet and drops to a few hundred. Super pretty and lots of wildlife.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

macado posted:

Haha. *snippy snippy*

Well I dove open circuit recently with a friend and got narked at 26m/85ft YAY For now being a inexperienced open-circuit diver. I am a OWSI who gets narked.. Yet I can do Air Diluent to 45-50m no problem. Is that a First World Problem? LOL

Point of this? I dive rebreather all the time as I want to stay consistant, thats my whole thing I do not like bouncing back and forth. My scrubber I only run 6 hours no matter how shallow/deep full stop. I can run more on it but I do not incase I have emergency and I need to stay down longer..

Only thing I do not like about rEvo is if you bend it you are hosed.. I am really liking the setup behind the JJ and the Meg is nice too. I doubt I would buy a rEvo though honestly.

I carry twin 40cf one with 30/25 and other with 100% if I bail I deco out at 6m at 1.6ppo2, Just wait till you do a rebreather to those depths on air diluent and get narked out of your mind due to constant partial pressure. Ok its not so bad but you will feel it thats for sure!

My dives I run GF 20/85 always.. I have done enough testing to know that with the feedback of the rebreather. You can tell when you are done offgassing at final deco stop by the counterlungs stop expanding. This is the metric I used to set my dive computer by but also I know my dive profile at the site I go to enough that I am able to run it without a computer.

Note my MOD is clearly marked on outside of O2 and in a yellow tank to prevent any confusion. I do not have my tanks pull back streamlined due to my manual add valves on the mark15, I cannot block my Manual Add Valves or I have hard time hitting them.

Photo Credit: Bob my dive buddy this is not mine. Obviously LOL
If ever in Lahaina check out his shop on Front Street, Whalers Locker. It has a movie running on the TV there that shows 3 hours total of what we do out there LOL.. Stack the footage and you can make a enormous movie for sure.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Equalization Saga Update: I figured this poo poo out! After a few days of reading up on and trying out tips, I came across one that suggested you stretch your muscles there by touching your ear to your shoulder (head tilt). It helped a bit and then I lucked into trying to equalize with my head to the right (to stretch the left side). Left ear equalized perfectly at the same time as the right! I can now quickly, easily and simultaneously equalize my ears with Valsalva if I do it with my right ear about 2/3 the way to my right shoulder. Open water course, here I come!

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Two observations from my first time on scuba.

1. Wow cotton mouth

2. that whole breath out of the regulator when it is freeflowing by just putting it near your mouth thing is CRAZY AWESOME

Goddamn I feel so good

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

BlueBayou posted:

Two observations from my first time on scuba.

1. Wow cotton mouth

2. that whole breath out of the regulator when it is freeflowing by just putting it near your mouth thing is CRAZY AWESOME

Goddamn I feel so good

1) goes away with time

2) WEEEEEE BUBBBLARS!!! BREATHY!!! :)

Glad you had fun its a awesome experience isnt it?

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Dude mentioning cotton mouth reminded me about a question for you tec divers. Do you guys bring snacks and poo poo for long deco's? My old instructor would use to bring paperback books (just tear off the page when you're finished with it), capri suns/apple slices for his 60+ minute decos. I know that underwater/speaker unit for ipods is popular to watch movies, but i'm curious how many people you've seen actually bring food down.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
Well,

Byproduct of one of the scrubbers I use is loads of water! This is a bonus given that I can dump the water out of my rig into my DSV and then drink it LOL!!

Food? I dont eat but once a day.
Boredom? I just hang there herpin and derpin.

Never seen food, I have thought of bringing a camel bak down somehow for drinkable water. But I wear a drysuit always so I do not have salt against skin to draw moisture out like a egyptian mummy.

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Ask me how I gained back all the weight I lost by eating your pets.
RE: ear infection. On Monday I went to see my regular doctor (because it didn't feel like the drops they prescribed at urgent care were helping). They took one look in both my ears and said there was so much wax, no wonder it wasn't getting better. The wax was blocking the drops from reaching the infection. They flushed my ears out, and now finally my left ear is feeling a lot better. Why they didn't do that at urgent care to begin with, I have no clue. But the wax was why I lost my hearing in the left ear--the drops softened and expanded the wax which made for the feeling of pressure and the fake deafness. :)

Anyways--it looks like I'll have leftover ear drops after I finish my treatment. So do you guys think it would hurt to put a drop or two in after diving, just to prevent future infections? This is the only one I've gotten in 10 months of diving, so I think that's pretty good. But, in Belize next month, that's our honeymoon and I'd really rather not come down with a raging ear infection on that trip, so I'm thinking of taking the extras with me to drop in before going to bed on the night after any dives we do. On Saturday this weekend we have a dive team inservice, which I'm going to but I already decided I'm not going to dive because I don't want to get re-infected if I *just* got over an infection.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

RE: ear infection. On Monday I went to see my regular doctor (because it didn't feel like the drops they prescribed at urgent care were helping). They took one look in both my ears and said there was so much wax, no wonder it wasn't getting better. The wax was blocking the drops from reaching the infection. They flushed my ears out, and now finally my left ear is feeling a lot better. Why they didn't do that at urgent care to begin with, I have no clue. But the wax was why I lost my hearing in the left ear--the drops softened and expanded the wax which made for the feeling of pressure and the fake deafness. :)

Anyways--it looks like I'll have leftover ear drops after I finish my treatment. So do you guys think it would hurt to put a drop or two in after diving, just to prevent future infections? This is the only one I've gotten in 10 months of diving, so I think that's pretty good. But, in Belize next month, that's our honeymoon and I'd really rather not come down with a raging ear infection on that trip, so I'm thinking of taking the extras with me to drop in before going to bed on the night after any dives we do. On Saturday this weekend we have a dive team inservice, which I'm going to but I already decided I'm not going to dive because I don't want to get re-infected if I *just* got over an infection.

Fun fact: Diving can force out impacted earwax itself. I finished a dive once and found an unholy lump of foulness which looked like it had been accumulating for years hanging out of my ear! Felt good man!

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

Crunkjuice posted:

Dude mentioning cotton mouth reminded me about a question for you tec divers. Do you guys bring snacks and poo poo for long deco's? My old instructor would use to bring paperback books (just tear off the page when you're finished with it), capri suns/apple slices for his 60+ minute decos. I know that underwater/speaker unit for ipods is popular to watch movies, but i'm curious how many people you've seen actually bring food down.
Time goes real slow on deco. Incredibly slow. I've never personally brought a snack or anything down with me, but I have seen capri suns and such. Also people just eating a candy bar with a helping of salt water. I try and hydrate myself as much as possible pre-dive so I'm not worried about dehydration kicking in and I don't have a huge appetite in general. This might change if I had a 90+ deco time. I've heard of people reading laminated magazine articles and such on very long decos but can't remember seeing it as far as I can remember.

One thing I've done on deco dives, assuming I'm on a solid down line, is play tic tac toe or hangman in a set of wenotes. Also you can have some pretty intense rock paper scissors games as long as you set some stakes pre dive (loser buys lunch when we get back to shore, something like that). Only other game I can think of is "everyone helps to kick away the hoards of jellyfish that are drifting towards you". They seem to be more common these days at least in the Keys. This is a pretty high stakes game because if they get you on exposed skin the sting really sucks and you can't surface to do anything about it.

Bishop fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 6, 2013

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
One thing I've been wondering, especially some of you guys into technical diving. How do you store all this stuff. My wife and I both dive and even with normal recreational gear for two people it takes up a ton of space. Any cool DIY storage ideas or setups? Or even rigs for drying/cleaning post dive.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Cru Jones posted:

One thing I've been wondering, especially some of you guys into technical diving. How do you store all this stuff. My wife and I both dive and even with normal recreational gear for two people it takes up a ton of space. Any cool DIY storage ideas or setups? Or even rigs for drying/cleaning post dive.

My mudroom is now a dive rack of doom.. I will post pictures later LOL

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

I was born after Kurt Cobain died. Now you feel old.

Did my first dive with my Diverite Transpac and Rec wing on Sunday. Holy neutral buoyancy, batman! I was actually able to compensate in small shifts in depth through breathing, which I was never able to do with my jacket BC.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Man, i've been using a lovely old mask and haven't really payed attention to new mask tech until a student dropped a tank on mine yesterday. I understood the concept of low volume but holy mother of god is the aqualung impression low volume. If its suctioned down on my face, my eyelashes touch the lenses and it takes maybe a half breath to clear that thing. Its ludicrous and awesome.

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008
Refugee from the great account hijacking of 2008
Crosspost from the Critterquest thread in GBS:

Last week I did some scuba diving and snorkeling with my dad and younger brother in the Cabo Pulmo National Park in southern Baja California. Here are some of the cooler things we saw, along with good pictures of common things we often see there.

Ray #1: Banded guitarfish, with action video (notice the shark-like swimming behavior despite the fish's ray-like look)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCJ_XiuEGkU

Ray #2: Pacific cownose ray (I think; confirmation on this would be good), with action video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3yBh3JgBZo

Ray #3: Round stingray, with action video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyzbPqedVSE

Video of huge school of jacks. No good pictures unfortunately, but around 20 seconds in a diver enters the frame, showing you just how large this school was.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQE_tNSHIJs

Green moray

Nudibranch #1: Elysia diomedea

Nudibranch #2: Hypselodoris ghiselini

Spotted boxfish (blurry photo was the only one we had with good colors)

Spiny lobster

Crown of thorns starfish

Cortez angelfish

This pelican was giving us the best look as we were bringing our gear up from the boat

Oakland Martini fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 6, 2013

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008
We were also extremely luck to spot a cormorant in action hunting for its breakfast underwater. This guy plopped down next to us while we were snorkeling and repeatedly dove down under the surface to peck at coral and crevices with its long beak. It was absolutely unafraid of us -- it had no problem continuing its hunt with us diving down right alongside it. It was extremely agile underwater, swimming rapidly and changing direction on a dime, so it was tough to get any good action photos. Nevertheless, this seems like a rare enough experience to share what we could get:

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008
And I'm headed to Sipadan on June 16 for 5 days, so hopefully I should have some more cool stuff then!

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

Oakland Martini posted:

We were also extremely luck to spot a cormorant in action hunting for its breakfast underwater. This guy plopped down next to us while we were snorkeling and repeatedly dove down under the surface to peck at coral and crevices with its long beak. It was absolutely unafraid of us -- it had no problem continuing its hunt with us diving down right alongside it. It was extremely agile underwater, swimming rapidly and changing direction on a dime, so it was tough to get any good action photos. Nevertheless, this seems like a rare enough experience to share what we could get:

Cormorants are the best birds ever. I am very jealous

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008

BlueBayou posted:

Cormorants are the best birds ever. I am very jealous

Our friend who were staying with (lives a few miles south of the park) has been diving and snorkeling there since the early 1980s. He snorkels in that exact spot several times every week, and he has never seen this before, so I think we got very lucky.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

Oakland Martini posted:

And I'm headed to Sipadan on June 16 for 5 days, so hopefully I should have some more cool stuff then!

You'll have a great time! Bring a book though, not much to do on the island itself other than talk to peeps. Of course, you may be like me and get so worn out from 3-4 dives a day that you just pass out at 8:30.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Any good places to dive on Cape Cod? I'll be on Buzzards Bay for the 4th of July and lord knows I'd love to get away from endless family stuff to dive for a bit

But my google-fu has been weak so far

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008

Trivia posted:

You'll have a great time! Bring a book though, not much to do on the island itself other than talk to peeps. Of course, you may be like me and get so worn out from 3-4 dives a day that you just pass out at 8:30.

I'm going straight to Korea to give a talk at a conference after Sipadan so I have plenty of work I can do. Of course I'll probably be tired like you said.

macado
Jun 3, 2003

BlueBayou posted:

Any good places to dive on Cape Cod? I'll be on Buzzards Bay for the 4th of July and lord knows I'd love to get away from endless family stuff to dive for a bit

But my google-fu has been weak so far

Most of the shore diving off Cape Cod is very shallow. There used to be a charter run by The Dive Locker but for whatever reason they are no longer running their charter anymore unfortunately. Shame because they were the only charter out of Cape Cod that I know of and the lobstering is awesome at places like Race Point.

There is Hathaways Pond which is pretty popular for dive training. Goes down to ~60' has some dive platforms, a small cabin cruiser and some cars.
http://www.dtmag.com/dive-usa/locations/HathawaysPondMass.hte

Sandwich Town Beach and Corporation Beach are the only two shore dives I know but they're 15-25' and mostly sand, still fun though. Need to be out on a boat in Cape Cod to get any sort of depth.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

StopShootingMe posted:

I did a wreck dive yesterday with my GoPro, first time with it. I was pretty impressed with the video, not so much the stills underwater. It would be greatly improved with the use of a pistol grip mount or something else to steady it during filming.

I did see some divers with a GoPro strapped on their head.

Is the not to much movement then?

StopShootingMe
Jun 8, 2004

I can't believe I spent $5 on this title.
I'd be concerned about the camera getting in the way if you had to take off/put on your mask. Also I turn my GoPro on and off and would want to verify that it was filming in the correct mode each time. I think mounted with a torch would be the way to go, you'd get the best colours and you tend to aim the torch at stuff you want to look at anyway.

Snake River Prototyping have a tray that looks good, but a bit expensive.

macado
Jun 3, 2003

Orions Lord posted:

I did see some divers with a GoPro strapped on their head.

Is the not to much movement then?

I mount mine on my head (with a piece of bungee cord on the head band to act as a chin strap to prevent it from falling off). Either that or put it under your hood (if you're diving cold water) otherwise it will fall off your head. I can't tell you how many people have lost their GoPros with the normal head mount.

Head mount is nice because it's hands free but you definitely get a lot of movement in the video and sometimes bubbles in the frame. I like having headmount because I'm often doing a scallop dive or wreck diving/running a light which requires use of both my hands.

You can see some of my YouTube videos if you want to get an idea how the movement is underwater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAFJioNkQsM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--o0yDx2hWA

I also built a pole mount out of an old ski pole. Video is definitely a lot more stable on that.

macado
Jun 3, 2003

Dove the New York Central 14-II (also known as Pug Wreck)
http://bostondeepwrecks.com/wrecks/pug.html
~120fsw to sand.

Great dive. Pretty cool wreck.
43F water temperature with about 20' of visibility.

Max depth 118fsw, total runtime was 59 minutes. I've been practicing for my normoxic trimix class so I dove it with 30% backgas, AL80 with 50% and an AL40 filled with Oxygen/100%. Trying to get comfortable with multiple stage gas switches. I spent the entire deco practicing valve drills.

Overall it went well although one of my computers malfunctioned in a very odd way. I own a Hollis DG03 which is capable of 3 gas switches. I programmed it for 30%, 50% and 100% which is very easy and I've done it a million times before.

The entire dive it was fine on Gas 1 (30%) and Gas 2 (50%). As soon as I switched to Gas 3 (100%) the computer basically reset all my gasses back to Air and told me I had about a 28 minute deco obligation.

Luckily I have my backup computer (Hollis DG02) along with tables cut with Vplanner so the malfunction was uneventful. I knew I wasn't in any danger and I cleared my deco using tables and with my DG02.

Moral of the story: Have a backup computer/bottom timer if you're doing any deep or technical diving.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
Macado,

Primary and Secondary Rebreather Controller
Petrel and Petrel
BOV plumed to breathable gas, bail tank with breathable gas.

Redundant is very important even more so when you do deco! How long were you at depth?

note: worst come to worst just breathe O2 for a known duration at deco and you should survive.. know your RMV vs tank pressure/volume. Its crude but hey!

SlicerDicer fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jun 10, 2013

macado
Jun 3, 2003

SlicerDicer posted:

Redundant is very important even more so when you do deco! How long were you at depth?

Nothing crazy. Up until now most of my deco dives have been with a single deco bottle so I wanted to get a bit more practice carrying two on something more shallow.

35 minutes BT at ~110-118fsw with about 24-25 minutes of deco. Way more deco than needed for this dive. Most of that was padded and was spent a lot of time at 15fsw on O2 just practicing valve drills.

1 min 70fsw (50%)
1 min 60fsw (50%)
1 min 50fsw (50%)
4 mins 40fsw (50%)
5 mins 20fsw (100%
13 mins 15fsw. (100%)

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
Not bad BT there Macado, how did it feel to be down there that long? I bet that was weird yeah?

macado
Jun 3, 2003

SlicerDicer posted:

Not bad BT there Macado, how did it feel to be down there that long? I bet that was weird yeah?

Done longer bottom times before but definitely feels odd being on a wreck with nobody else. Definitely felt a little impaired/narc'd, especially with low viz and cold. I can't wait to re-dive some of these sites with trimix to see what I have missed.

We had one diver go up the wrong (old broken) mooring line which abruptly stops at 90fsw (Oops). He claimed he wasn't narc'd but he should have noticed that we had set 3-4 flashing strobes on the correct mooring. Claims he didn't remember them but the actual mooring was lit up like a Christmas tree. Standard protocol around here is to clip a strobe to the mooring so you know which one you used if the site has multiple mooring or ghost moorings.

The charter yesterday was mostly recreational divers. After the crew set the mooring I was the first to splash in and last one off the wreck. It's quite relaxing being the only person on a wreck. Most of my dives up here are solo dives anyway.

It's weird. There a few dives up here in 90-100fsw range that I can function and "feel" perfectly fine. I know my way around them and have been inside them a bunch.

At the other end of the spectrum, I know that I'm definitely impaired in the 120-170fsw range but can function through the dives. I really can't wait to re-dive some of these sites with trimix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Being narced is weird. I didn't feel it in that idiotic Bimini wall dive I posted about in early May (where we stayed the shallowest at 137, and the other three, including DM, went to 170+), but I am sure it happened.

I mean, I've been rock steady for a while now on buoyancy but was a disaster trying to do that and a couple stupid drills at 110 in St. Lucia doing our AOW. It rammed it home when we were playing pass the weights games at like 40' for PPB and I didn't move, yet once you put a slate in my hand at depth and ask me to trace 1-20, I forget how to stay in one spot? Apparently!