Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I can't find the post now, but I remember someone posting a big helpful infodump on Terraria. It isn't the stuff on the wiki, it basicly broke down what armor to get, then what boss to kill, then what upgrades to shoot for, all in a nice order.

Anyone know what I am talking about?

Useful post by Male Man

[google]terraria 2969807 site:forums.somethingawful.com[/google]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I've messed around a bit with Uplink (though how you're supposed to figure out how to do some of these things without a guide is beyond me), but one thing I haven't gotten a clear answer on is what missions affect the Neuromancer ratings. I know it drops if you do something to other hackers, but I've had my level drop twice even though I haven't accepted a single "mess with this hacker" mission. What up?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I've messed around a bit with Uplink (though how you're supposed to figure out how to do some of these things without a guide is beyond me), but one thing I haven't gotten a clear answer on is what missions affect the Neuromancer ratings. I know it drops if you do something to other hackers, but I've had my level drop twice even though I haven't accepted a single "mess with this hacker" mission. What up?
To avoid spoilers, generally, if you aid corporations, it goes down. If you aid the hacker cause, it goes up.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

And if you directly attack the hackers, it goes way way down.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Colon V posted:

To avoid spoilers, generally, if you aid corporations, it goes down. If you aid the hacker cause, it goes up.

I feel like I don't get enough info to decide if I'm raising the dead to help a corporation, or to help some hacker guy. Is there a cheat sheet? I'm willing to spoil this a bit.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Screwing with social security or criminal records always has a negative effect.

Unless they're yours, of course.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

scamtank posted:

Screwing with social security or criminal records always has a negative effect.

Unless they're yours, of course.

I think I got it.

Pretty much everything done to a single person is bad, pretty much everything to do with messing with a system is good

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I think I got it.

Pretty much everything done to a single person is bad, pretty much everything to do with messing with a system is good
Yeah, that's a good way to put it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Is there a spoiler-less walkthrough for Walking Dead? I'm stuck on a puzzle, and hate just wandering around until I burn out.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Colon V posted:

Is there a spoiler-less walkthrough for Walking Dead? I'm stuck on a puzzle, and hate just wandering around until I burn out.

I dunno about that, but if you post the puzzle, I'm sure someone could answer it for you without spoiling anything. As though it were something you should have known before playing the game for the first time, I guess.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Okay.

I'm at the part inside the pharmacy. Am I correct in assuming that if I leave, I'll be giving up on the sidequest for nitroglycerin pills? If so, how do I open the padlock?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Colon V posted:

Okay.

I'm at the part inside the pharmacy. Am I correct in assuming that if I leave, I'll be giving up on the sidequest for nitroglycerin pills? If so, how do I open the padlock?

You literally can't advance until you go to the hotel first. TWD is completely linear so throw away any notions of "subquests" or missing things. At worst you'll miss a few ancillary lines from characters for pressing on but every major event can't be skipped and you're never pressured for time unless the game specifically tells you.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Okay, thanks, that helps a lot.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Colon V posted:

Okay, thanks, that helps a lot.

If it helps, that's the most confusing section of the game because it seems like you shouldn't leave but you need to; the game isn't that unclear about anything else going forward.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I also seem to remember a part in that area which suffered from the typical "are you kidding me, that would totally work in real life" adventure game puzzle bullshit, which had me nervous that there would be more later, but there weren't. The game is smooth sailing from then on and lets you focus on the story and characters rather than scratching your head about why you just had to glue cat hair to your face or whatever.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

I also seem to remember a part in that area which suffered from the typical "are you kidding me, that would totally work in real life" adventure game puzzle bullshit, which had me nervous that there would be more later, but there weren't. The game is smooth sailing from then on and lets you focus on the story and characters rather than scratching your head about why you just had to glue cat hair to your face or whatever.
Yeah, there's his father's walking cane, which gets special attention, but you can't use it to get the brick, and break the lock open that way. Frustrated the hell out of me.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet
Hyperspace dimension neptunia, the first one or whatever. Anything to be advised about?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

a) it's awful,

b) The moment you get Neptune Break spam it every single battle to complete the game in short order.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
To add to that: Neptunia is really anime. Like, all the worst, most mockable parts of anime stuffed into one game.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

BrightWing posted:

To add to that: Neptunia is really anime. Like, all the worst, most mockable parts of anime stuffed into one game.

I am honestly considering playing it with little to no volume. I've heard the later games are semi-better/interesting game play wise?

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Yes, it can certainly be said that the sequels contain much better gameplay.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Anything for Enslaved that isn't on the wiki?

http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Enslaved:_Odyssey_to_the_West

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Pretty straightforward game, really. The shooting upgrades for the staff are pretty useless because ammo is scarce and almost every enemy is melee based and will smack you if you try to shoot them.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

If you want to utterly trivialize most combat, get the "colour-coded for your convenience" (not the actual name) upgrade early. If you want a bit more challenge, never buy it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

BrightWing posted:

Yes, it can certainly be said that the sequels contain much better gameplay.

And if one wants to check them out without actually playing them, there was a Let's Play of the original game recently (it's pretty bad) and there's an ongoing one of the sequel.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Any tips for Civilization V for someone who's never played any of them? I just downloaded it from the free weekend and even with the tutorial and advisor level on "New to Civ" I have absolutely no clue what I'm doing.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Is there a lot of traditional Sierra bullshit (game becomes unbeatable) in Larry 5/6?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Any tips for Civilization V for someone who's never played any of them? I just downloaded it from the free weekend and even with the tutorial and advisor level on "New to Civ" I have absolutely no clue what I'm doing.
I am also bad at this game and would appreciate more advice, but I've played some so hopefully I can help a little.

Pick one of the victory types and aim for it from the beginning. If you're going for cultural victory, for example, your policies/techs/city specialties will be very different than if you were going for military victory.

If you are a carebear like me and playing on any difficulty above Chieftain, a military is a necessary evil and even if you never have to use it, you need to have it just so that dick Bismarck won't smell weakness and invade. I recommend buttering up some militaristic city states nearby, if you don't want to divert your cities' attention to producing units.

On the other hand, playing as Bismarck is a great way to get free early game units by killing barbarians, and you can use your gigantic free caveman military to wipe a neighbor or two off the map entirely so your vast military empire won't have to work as hard later.

If you have/eventually get Gods & Kings, don't underestimate religion. You can get some pretty awesome perks from it.

I forget the exact radius, but you should settle your cities around as many luxury resources as possible, and away from resource-barren tiles like deserts and tundra.

Need No Instruction
Jul 23, 2007
To Know How To Rock
Anybody got some pointers for King of Dragon Pass?

I know it's primarily story driven but I'm not sure if there are important events that can ruin my day if I walk in too blind, also my people are constantly starving no matter how many cattle I have to slaughter.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Need No Instruction posted:

I know it's primarily story driven but I'm not sure if there are important events that can ruin my day if I walk in too blind, also my people are constantly starving no matter how many cattle I have to slaughter.

Try to get best skilled ring members and ask their advice on events, it's usually good choice(except the trickster's advice, in most cases it's bad but hilarious)
You shouldn't slaughter cattle really to keep fed - allocate more people and land to farming and distribute magic there. There was also a blessing boosting fertility.
Exploring brings in nice things but wandering too far can get you in trouble, also there is stuff to be found in your land.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Slaughtering cattle is a hugely bad idea, don't do that. Instead, start out the first season by increasing the amount of land you've got dedicated to agriculture until you're getting about enough food to feed a thousand people a year, then adjust that as necessary. As far as gotcha events go, the entire endgame is pretty much that, but you're a ways from having to worry about the endgame. The only big gotcha at clan creation is the question about how much land you should take. Always take a little more than you need, to grow into. Any more and enemy clans (i.e. every clan, even the ones you're allied with) will be able to just waltz onto your tula and steal your cows. Also, if you're on the gog or CD version, always keep your number of crafters at maximum. The cow is the primary Orlanthi currency (each point in goods is the equivalent of one cow's worth) and the more goods you have on hand the fewer of your precious, precious cows you have to give away for deals. Also make sure to explore your own tula periodically, there are awesome things hidden there.

One real big thing, and this is covered in the manual (read the manual, it both owns and gets you in the right mindset to play the game), you're going to want each of the seven slots on your clan ring to go to a worshiper of a different god. These should generally be the people with the highest values in each stat if possible. Also the slot on the far left is your clan chief, you generally want him to be a worshiper of your clan's patron deity (the one you picked out of Elmal, Orlanth, and Ernalda during the wedding scene at clan creation. Orlanth is generally considered the easiest patron deity), ideally one with a very high leadership. Also if you get an Eurmali (anyone with three dots in a triangle) always put that sucker on the ring. 90% of the time his advice is totally worthless or he'll do something outright detrimental, but the other 10% he'll save your rear end.

Only other big thing, never, ever, under any circumstances whatsoever, even when you think it's a good idea, should you boost your clan's childbearing rate. Never put any points of magic into children at sacred time, pass any blessings to child-bearing off to a clan you don't like, give away any treasures that you get that boost your rate of childbirth if you have to. Children are worthless, useless mouths that contribute nothing and eat your grain for fifteen years. You'll get enough kids to keep going without any problems, never ever ever try to get any more.

Other than that, the best advice I can give you is to pretend that you're an Orlanthi. Respect your clan's customs, they give you strength. When you create new customs, follow those diligently. Always keep any pacts you make until the other side reneges. Don't take your farmers raiding during Sea or Earth, but raid every Fire season to keep the gods of war happy. Respect the gods and any warnings they give you. This all sounds dumb as hell on paper, but the game really rewards you for doing all of it.

Need No Instruction
Jul 23, 2007
To Know How To Rock
Thanks for the advice! I will try to salvage whats left of my current village, but a re-start may not be a terrible option.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Thanks for the advice! I will try to salvage whats left of my current village, but a re-start may not be a terrible option.

Nah, play until you lose. Call it a learning experience. KoDP is a highly varied game.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Kennel posted:

Is there a lot of traditional Sierra bullshit (game becomes unbeatable) in Larry 5/6?
I don't think so, but you should skip Larry 5 regardless.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Fungah! posted:

Never put any points of magic into children at sacred time, pass any blessings to child-bearing off to a clan you don't like, give away any treasures that you get that boost your rate of childbirth if you have to.

One key exception here (sorta) is Orlanth's Rattle. It sounds like another worthless childbirth treasure, but what it actually does is make any new nobles who are born have better stats, which is awesome.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Also? Don't gently caress with the Ducks.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Anything to know for 7 Grand Steps? I've spent a few hours on it and it seems like the trick of the game is striking the right balance between...uh...everything. I'm wondering if there's some basic rules of thumb to know about.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Anyone got some info on Don't Starve?

It seems like a game that wiki'ing would really take away from, but at the same time, I never would have figured out how to make charcoal by myself.

What should I look for in a good base camp? So far I've made a science and alchemy unit, and now I'm trying to not starve by running a massive rabbit trap line, but it doesn't seem very efficient. Also hunger is way easier to heal than health.

Anyway, this game is great and thanks for your time!

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Kennel posted:

I don't think it's possible to die or completely gently caress yourself in 5, but it is in 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The info on beforeiplay for Devil Survivor 2 is pretty good, but I thought I'd add a few more:

-Once you unlock a demon for fusion, it's always unlocked on subsequent playthroughs. You don't have to meet the requirements again. For example, you could get a character's Fate to level 5 on the first playthrough and unlock their demon, then ignore them completely the second time through and yet still be able to fuse that demon.

-Realistically speaking you will probably not be able to max out the compendium or get all of the skills except after many, many playthroughs. So don't count on those bonuses for your NG+ purchases. Just getting every ending or everyone's Fate to level 5 isn't going to cut it either though; you need at least a few more big breakthroughs to get to the real meat of NG+. You will probably need one of the following: the Unkillable title (no team leaders die in-battle), the Triumphant title (unite everyone under the Restorer ending), and/or some smattering of the bonus bosses. The bonus bosses will be very hard without a corps of super demons prepared, so you may need to wait until you can afford to carry over at least 4. For me, I made my big break on my third playthrough where I was able to beat Beelzebub and got the Unkillable title.

-People can die in-story and it won't affect the Unkillable title. The only thing that matters is whether they die in battle.