Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adam Kensai
Feb 13, 2005
Have you heard the Go News?

Fissurefury posted:

I've been working on a project on a creative server my friends all share. At the time I wanted to tool around with MCedit and see what I could come up with. I was looking through some screenshots and wanted to share a work in progress after a friend directed me here. We all just call it The Forge.

I'm color-tarded so I let the lighting do a lot of the visual work for me. I just a huge fan of the stone block.

It's an unruly bastard but it's like my home at this point. Hope you think it's neat.

Interesting and well built stuff like this is why I read the thread, great work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squirrelo
Mar 3, 2008

Bionic Psyker posted:

Is there a texture pack that uses only ASCII? I'm too hardcore for graphics.

Well there's this, but it's from al the way back at 1.8

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/774222-16x18-ascii-texture-pack/

Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

Johnny is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all bangers

New UHC started. 20 players, perma-day, 20 minute episodes. Dinnerbone participating. They apparently had a pseudo-gentleman's agreement to let everyone get at least one 20 minute episode out, but that doesn't appear to be lasting.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Saints Crow posted:

New UHC started. 20 players, perma-day, 20 minute episodes. Dinnerbone participating. They apparently had a pseudo-gentleman's agreement to let everyone get at least one 20 minute episode out, but that doesn't appear to be lasting.

Well there is no goddamned way I am watching 20 perspectives.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

ToastyPotato posted:

Well there is no goddamned way I am watching 20 perspectives.

I have about three-to-five people I like to watch, on the criteria of "least annoying". I only watch another perspective when someone dies and I don't see it.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Etho and Kurt are the only two worth following. Etho for being a Minecraft wizard and Kurt for sounding like Jeff Goldblum

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Super cool that a dev is participating. I'm interested to see how he does.

EDIT: Very interesting for Dinnerbone's first episode Down like a chump

jivjov fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 5, 2013

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

nippon nifties posted:

Etho and Kurt are the only two worth following. Etho for being a Minecraft wizard and Kurt for sounding like Jeff Goldblum

I follow BDouble0 for his rather mellifluous voice, and PauseUnpause because he always seems to win, (spoiler alert for the first episode) but ha ha not this time :v:

Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

Johnny is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all bangers

Fuego Fish posted:

I follow BDouble0 for his rather mellifluous voice, and PauseUnpause because he always seems to win, (spoiler alert for the first episode) but ha ha not this time :v:

I generally watch BDoubleO's first and foremost. He occasionally gets annoying with his gimmicky stuff and this time getting disappointed that people start UHCing so quickly (not because it's unfair, but because it's limiting their video potential). But he's still fun to watch.

Cercueil
Sep 21, 2006

I've gotten back into the game after not playing for like a year and a half and for the life of me, I cannot find a single sheep. Plenty of pigs, cows, and chickens, just not sheep. I just want to make my bed. :(

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

C. E. Croix posted:

I've gotten back into the game after not playing for like a year and a half and for the life of me, I cannot find a single sheep. Plenty of pigs, cows, and chickens, just not sheep. I just want to make my bed. :(

I have the same problem on most of my worlds, I'll be unable to find one specific mob. I might have chickens and sheep, but no cows or pigs. Or I might have cows and pigs but no chickens or sheep. :sigh: I hope it's a bug or something that makes certain mobs so uncommon in some worlds.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Just a friendly reminder, given that Mindcrack's UHC started back up today --- we have our own SomethingAwful UHC we run regularly, and we've got a game starting in about 45 minutes. Look in the Private Game Servers forum for info if you want to join.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

nippon nifties posted:

I always thought of Kurt sounding more like Doug Jones, personally.

BDubs is always a good time because his voice is just pure sex, and he's generally pretty goofy both by himself and in a group. I pretty much start with him and then start checking out other perspectives depending on what happens over the course of the game.

I can't stand Pause though, and his drat "failing upwards" strategy that ALWAYS seems to work. I mean, they've done ten of these things now and he STILL can't remember that he needs 8 gold ingots and not 9.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Jamesman posted:

I always thought of Kurt sounding more like Doug Jones, personally.

BDubs is always a good time because his voice is just pure sex, and he's generally pretty goofy both by himself and in a group. I pretty much start with him and then start checking out other perspectives depending on what happens over the course of the game.

I can't stand Pause though, and his drat "failing upwards" strategy that ALWAYS seems to work. I mean, they've done ten of these things now and he STILL can't remember that he needs 8 gold ingots and not 9.

Pause and Guude both seem genuinely REALLY BAD at UHC but Pause knows how to aim a bow I guess so it works out for him often enough.

With regards to episode 1 SPOILERS OBVIOUSLY:

Pause shows his horribleness when he aggros an Enderman and decides to try to run away instead of immediately making a safety shelter to protect himself.

I have also never felt more sorry for someone in UHC than I do for Avidya, but he said it himself, he was kind of dumb for walking so damned far so early.

And Dinnerbone was kind of a MONSTER in that fight with Doc, seeing as he nearly killed him with a Pickaxe vs. a sword.

Any other perspectives interesting?

Generator
Jan 14, 2008

ToastyPotato posted:

Etho's videos are the ones that I watch first. His first one is pretty good.

Lots of mob action in the caves due to the daylight

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Saints Crow posted:

I generally watch BDoubleO's first and foremost. He occasionally gets annoying with his gimmicky stuff and this time getting disappointed that people start UHCing so quickly (not because it's unfair, but because it's limiting their video potential). But he's still fun to watch.

What gimmicky stuff?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

horse mans posted:

What gimmicky stuff?

I'm guessing the B-Team mafia stuff, and Horse Race McGee, but those only pop up in a tiny percentage of his videos so I don't see why that would be a problem to be honest.

Murdershoe
May 8, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

I haven't watched first timer Shree's video yet, so i don't know if he's any good per se,
but he has a heart rate monitor on the screen.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Murdershoe posted:

I haven't watched first timer Shree's video yet, so i don't know if he's any good per se,
but he has a heart rate monitor on the screen.

Seriously? That sounds :krad:!

I've always wondered why no one has yet made a game that takes heart rate as an input and uses it somehow.

[edit] Like, if it were a Gurren Lagann game, your spiral energy would increase with heart rate. Or if it were a survival-horror, your screen/aim would jitter more with a high heart rate.

After all, they already have the heart-rate peripheral for those workout "games" for the Wii.

... Though, if it were competitive multiplayer, I suppose it would just lead to the munchkins buying pulse simulators to min/max; so maybe it's for the best. :-/

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 5, 2013

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Blasphemeral posted:

Seriously? That sounds :krad:!

I've always wondered why no one has yet made a game that takes heart rate as an input and uses it somehow.

[edit] Like, if it were a Gurren Lagann game, your spiral energy would increase with heart rate. Or if it were a survival-horror, your screen/aim would jitter more with a high heart rate.

After all, they already have the heart-rate peripheral for those workout "games" for the Wii.

... Though, if it were competitive multiplayer, I suppose it would just lead to the munchkins buying pulse simulators to min/max; so maybe it's for the best. :-/

Tying heart rate to gameplay seems like it could be at the very least frustrating and at the worst dangerous. You can't really passively control your heart rate so having it affect gameplay would be super annoying. "Oops I just ran to get the phone now I have to wait for my heart to slow back down so I can aim again" or "Oh this scary game is making my heart race, better pause ever 5 seconds to break the atmosphere and keep my heart rate nice and low". Or on the opposite end if some game were to be dumb enough to tie something advantageous in the game to a high heart rate I can just see the devs getting sued by someone who gets a heart attack because they were trying to do better in the game.

edit: In other words, I'm sure :notch: will be all over it

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I think the worst part about Dinnerbone going out like a punk in the first episode is that UHC was the perfect chance for him to see what a loving piece of poo poo combat in Minecraft is.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I think it would be better to invite Dinnerbone to play that one map they played with the two teams with the two bases and the various control points that give you different things like items and XP.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Blasphemeral posted:

Clearly you're forgetting the huge video game hit that was the WII VITALITY SENSOR!

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Fuego Fish posted:

I think the worst part about Dinnerbone going out like a punk in the first episode is that UHC was the perfect chance for him to see what a loving piece of poo poo combat in Minecraft is.

Well, Dinnerbone is a huge fan of UHC already and has on multiple occasions on his twitter feed stated that he thinks combat in MC is bad and needs to be overhauled. However, as has been talked to death by this point in this thread, going about improving combat in a game like MC is not an easy thing to do. And with how knee-jerk reactive the fan base is and super loving pissy, I don't blame him not really wanting to touch combat with a ten foot pole. People bite his head off playing with ideas, I'm sure the rage any change to combat would create would be massive, since so many people have different ideas on how it should be done. It is a tough issue.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
So they updated MCPE. Has a furnace bug that makes it pretty much unplayable. The "free now, pay later" multiplayer doesn't seem to be working yet. Oh and you can make cakes now. Still no caves, still minuscule worlds. Such a wretchedly awful piece of poo poo.

Still loving SurvivalCraft weeks after discovering it, even more so now that I'm running it with the Sphax texture pack. It's a very one-sided fight on mobile devices right now.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I'm following Guude, Etho, and Kurt on this one. Etho and Kurt because they're going Nomad on this one, and Guude because his mistakes amuse me. If Guude bites it early (not gonna be surprised if he does, looks like he'll be caving because he's terrified of the surface, so I bet the mobs'll get him), I'll probably start watching Baj's point of view. I honestly find Baj the least annoying member of team Nancy Drew.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.

Jamesman posted:

I always thought of Kurt sounding more like Doug Jones, personally..

He kind of reminds me of Tom Lehrer, a little.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Parkingtigers posted:

So they updated MCPE. Has a furnace bug that makes it pretty much unplayable. The "free now, pay later" multiplayer doesn't seem to be working yet. Oh and you can make cakes now. Still no caves, still minuscule worlds. Such a wretchedly awful piece of poo poo.

Still loving SurvivalCraft weeks after discovering it, even more so now that I'm running it with the Sphax texture pack. It's a very one-sided fight on mobile devices right now.

The thing I don't get the most about MCPE is the lack of caves. Why can't they use similar cave generation to the original game? You'd think the world generator would be the first thing to match the original.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

DarkJC posted:

The thing I don't get the most about MCPE is the lack of caves. Why can't they use similar cave generation to the original game? You'd think the world generator would be the first thing to match the original.

Pocket Edition uses the old cave generation code? I feel like the current cave generator is a little too over the top some times. But the old one was maybe too bland.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Does anyone know how to build a redstone circuit that sends out a repeating signal? Like a constant On-Off-On-Off-On-Off every other second without any need to maintain it? I'm asking here because every circuit guide I consult seems to be completely steeped in jargon and poo poo that manages to make me feel like a moron for not understanding it.

Like I know what a frickin' diode is... :mad:

Anyway, any advice would be a big help for something I'm working on.

Murdershoe
May 8, 2009
Here ya go. Add more repeaters for a longer "tick"

Lever turns it on and off.
It'll burn out if you just use one repeater on the first setting, second should be fine.
It sadly will get stuck if the chunk it's in unloads/reloads
so...

This shouldn't.
(fyi, that's a booster rail and a detector rail)

Murdershoe fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 7, 2013

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Minecraft.com is offline and my old exe doesn't work, complains about java registries or some poo poo. Trying to reinstall, but obviously with Minecraft's site down, I can't. Is there a solution if I wanted to play now or am I just gonna have to wait?

E: VVV :downs: Oh.

Waldorf Sixpence fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 7, 2013

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Minecraft.com is offline and my old exe doesn't work, complains about java registries or some poo poo. Trying to reinstall, but obviously with Minecraft's site down, I can't. Is there a solution if I wanted to play now or am I just gonna have to wait?
Try http://minecraft.net/, seems to be up for me.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
So I created a new world with large biomes with the intent of finding a village, walling it off, and building a giant tower/castle and becoming the silent guardian. After a few ingame days of building the castle, I started to notice that there were fewer and fewer villagers around each day. Finally I took a break from my digging to find out that all the villagers were gone, except there was nowhere for them to go to get trapped since I had the wall put up pretty fast. Am I SOL on this village short of using the Villager Egg cheat?

prismeclipser
May 2, 2008
Man, I don't know if anyone is interested, but using 13w22a I generated this world that so far I haven't been able to find much of anything but islands. Good luck if you want to try it out! 4113740643547503633

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Tamayachi posted:

After a few ingame days of building the castle, I started to notice that there were fewer and fewer villagers around each day.

Same thing happened to me. Apparently they all committed suicide by hugging my cactus farm a lot.

Feeble posted:

Does anyone know how to build a redstone circuit that sends out a repeating signal? Like a constant On-Off-On-Off-On-Off every other second without any need to maintain it?

This is my favorite way to do that:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

ToastyPotato posted:

Pocket Edition uses the old cave generation code? I feel like the current cave generator is a little too over the top some times. But the old one was maybe too bland.

Haha, no. MCPE doesn't use the new cave generator. It doesn't use the old cave generator either. It has zero caves. None. Zip. Nada. If you want to go underground, I sure hope you like digging.

Pocket Edition is a sick joke. It's a tiny tiny box of land, 255 blocks square, with no caves. There is no redstone, so you can't even use it as a little portable design area, they only just added buckets in this latest (broken on launch) update. Hell, sand and gravel weren't even affected by gravity until recently. $7 for this, and they have sold 10 million copies of it on the strength of the desktop edition's name. Still they have just two part time staff working on it. They are even planning to charge for the multiplayer on this heavily gimped version, after this initial free test period.

That's why on mobile I play SurvivalCraft, which has infinite worlds and caves. It's no Minecraft, but it's a hell of a lot closer than MCPE will ever be.

Plus it's pretty. So very pretty.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
While I have no idea if it is actually the case or not, it looks just like Minecraft using Painterly assets.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
For those who are watching the new UHC season, even if you aren't following Kurt and Baj's POV's, at least watch the last five minutes of each's episode 2. Gettin' tense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's the Sphax textures. I think they have texture pack support or something and there's a version of sphax for it.