Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SSJ Reeko posted:

Does anyone know if NPCs using guns for base defense use up that ammo? I assume not but I don't know.

Also, when can I move bases? I just got the doc and am interested in some other spots.

I assume the ammo random NPCs use is taken out of the daily allotment. Also the base thing should be coming up pretty soon, wait a little bit and you'll get a new mission about wanting to switch bases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I'm not sure if I can rightfully blame consoles but

drat YOU CONSOLE MEMORY LIMITATIONS!!!

Climbed a vantage point with no zombie in a square mile and came down to find a SWAT and screamer and a half dozen regular zombies milling about the base. Magically they were all facing away from the ladder so I snuck past them, but I legitimately sat there for ten minutes contemplating a twenty foot drop and running like gently caress after popping pills.

Also had pop-in gently caress me over once, but only once so far so exception, not rule. Was flooring it down a dirt road when my truck slammed into thin (thick?) air and popped the back end up five feet. Took a handful of seconds for the game to draw in the white sedan I had hit.

Kind of miss the attachment that it's missing by not having YOUR character. A roster of decently fleshed out NPCs is better than a bunch of randomly generated faceless pawns, but there's still no attachment to anyone for me. The only reason I don't want anyone to die is the loss of time and inventory.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
I hit a horde of zombies so hard that I got air in my ratty old pick up. :stare:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I'm worried about Ed. Where's Doc Hanson? Is there supposed to be a scripted event that makes him pop up that I may have missed?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I'm also worried about Ed. For me the guy is always sad and depressed and bringing everyone down.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Croccers posted:

I'm also worried about Ed. For me the guy is always sad and depressed and bringing everyone down.

He probably just misses American Idol.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!

Jonny Retro posted:

He probably just misses American Idol.

"Misses" American Idol.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Oh my god I can mercy kill people! This is the best goddamn game.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lotish posted:

I'm worried about Ed. Where's Doc Hanson? Is there supposed to be a scripted event that makes him pop up that I may have missed?

If you saved radio girl's brother you'll eventually get a mission to go to a farmhouse, the Doc is there and he'll show up at the church in a little bit.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Kind of miss the attachment that it's missing by not having YOUR character. A roster of decently fleshed out NPCs is better than a bunch of randomly generated faceless pawns, but there's still no attachment to anyone for me. The only reason I don't want anyone to die is the loss of time and inventory.
They way they randomly dole out occasionally useful skills makes some dudes pretty valuable to me. Like I would be seriously upset if Marcus died because the Powerhouse skill owns and he gets some amazing actives. It reminds me a little bit of Firaxis' XCOM that way. Your guys are faceless mooks but not totally interchangeable.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The in-game hint system said in the journal that cheering on your allies when they kill a zombie gives you more friendship points. Not sure about the "Agree" or "Disagree" buttons though.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009

UberJumper posted:

Has anyone figured out the point of the RT emote menu?

Screaming "gently caress you!" at zombies will pull them to you and possibly off of someone in trouble. Also somewhere (I think in the leadership skill description) it mentions that high leadership characters can buff people by "cheering" at them.

I've only been messing around with the demo so far though so take anything I say with a grain of salt. The demo seems to have poo poo itself and forgotten about the time limit entirely though, it's been roughly 30 min since the "you only have one minute of demo left!" message. Can't actually save though so it's kind of moot :v:

One neat thing I figured out is that you can actually sprint and reload if you want to not get swarmed putting more bullets in your gun. You have to be aiming to start reloading but you don't to actually finish the animation, so just let go of LT and you can sprint away.

SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009
Another minor question, has anyone seen an AI controlled character use special skills? My Marcus has the leg sweep unlocked for heavy weapons as well as the power kick, and I haven't seen him get into a fight to see if he uses either. I doubt it since I don't see AI dropkicking zombies, but it would be good to know. As well, I take it that they only ever use guns in the base?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

TU1 coming, from http://forums.undeadlabs.com/showthread.php?18672-Title-Update-1-submitted

quote:

Hola fellow survivors. Just wanted you to know we submitted Title Update 1 to certification this afternoon.

Title Updates have to go through a "mini certification" process, so it will be a bit before these roll out, but we wanted to let you know what was coming. We expect the update to be available next week. We'll keep you posted as we have more specific information.

Here is what we've fixed:

Workshop now repairs weapons and vehicles at game dawn rather than the next real-world day.
Reduced cooldown times of commands in the Radio Menu, notably Words of Encouragement, Words of Inspiration, and Medical Advice.
NPCs no longer get stuck behind the counter or on the stairs at the gun shop in Spencer's Mill.
The "Too many infestations!" event will now only occur when there are too many infestations within within 500m of your Home, rather than anywhere in the world.
The "Too many infestations" to-do item is now cleared when there are fewer than three infestations within 500m of your Home, rather than anywhere in the world.
You must now be close to the ranger station for the Memento mission scene to play. Previously you would be teleported to the station if you left before the end of the mission.
Community members will properly interact with Facilities in your home. Previously they would stop after a period of time.
Feral zombie now properly dodges vehicles approaching at an angle.
NPCs will now reliably reach warehouse between Mt. Tanner and Spencer's Mill when called to gather supplies.
You can now punch out through the windshield of a vehicle if both doors are blocked.
Zombies and NPCs no longer get stuck behind the grocery store in Marshall.
NPCs now properly move to the proper location during cinematic scenes.
Zombies no longer fall through floor in the Marshall courthouse.
Zombies can no longer get under porch or floor at the Wilkerson's farmhouse.
Fixed a few rare crash bugs.
Fixed various translations bugs.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Ed died. :smith:

My group has been doing extremely well so far, I finally figured out how to get random survivor groups to join me and had a group of 22 crammed into the church like sardines. After gathering enough materials I packed up and moved to a huge-rear end truck depot in Marshall, which has plenty of room and is literally surrounded by buildings full of building materials so you can fill up all that room. I've been gradually turning it into a proper home - it comes with a single bunkroom, a full vehicle repair shop, and a huge storage area built in, and on top of that I've added two more bunkrooms, a watchtower, an infirmary, and a kitchen; currently torn between adding a proper dining room or a library in the last available space.

My one major problem is that I'm critically short of ammo, so I sent out Ed to find some. He had been progressing really nicely so far. He started out panicky and useless and his feat brought everyone down, but I ended up having to take him out a few times because everyone else was wounded or tired, and he kicked rear end, and he knew it, too. Wrecking zombie poo poo left and right, skills improving, supplies coming back by the truckload, and he even single-handedly saved a group of friendly survivors from a siege. After a few days of being awesome his mood had upgraded from scared/fearful to 'Determined' and I never had fear issues with him again. His Reflexes skill is also super loving useful, he moves quickly, attacks quickly and tires slowly. Had him searching a gun store, and when I tried to speed things up I accidentally made a huge amount of noise and alerted not one, but two hordes. Because I'm an idiot I was determined to get that ammo no matter what, so I tried to hold the store instead of running to my car and driving away. Actually was surviving pretty well, until a Feral came in through the back door, knocked Ed down and mauled him to death.

Rest well, Ed, your memory will live on in the huge stockpile of guns and ammo you gave your life for.

e: Also, Maya is getting along really poorly with one of the new survivors we brought in and now her mood is 'Short-Tempered' and she's pissed all the time. Oh, and now she's missing - which especially sucks because she's my best marksman and I needed her for something. :ohdear:

e2: Has anyone had any luck finding a doctor willing to move in with them? A properly-staffed infirmary would really come in handy with all the hurt people I have right now.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jun 7, 2013

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

That was drat fast. Good news for Australia and New Zealand, especially.

masam
May 27, 2010
How in the ever loving gently caress do I sleep?

All of my playable characters are tired.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
So how do traps and safe zones work? I've clicked the "build traps" option in my outposts, but the only thing I see is a message on the map saying "Traps Ready."

Do safe zones vanish? Are they dependant on line of sight? I had a big portion of the first town safe while I was in the curch, but after moving bases, it shrank considerably, and not just because of the loss of the church base. Buildings right across from the Kirkman place would be marked as cleared and safe and then the circle would vanish a few minutes later.

I restarted this morning after playing all last night. Lost about half a dozen characters. The best was when I got both Marcus and Maya killed at the same time. Maya was coming back from a supply run and ran into a horde, I was near by and ran over to help.

She was knocked down near a car with two hordes on her, I started kicking rear end next to the car, keeping the zombies off her, but I guess, I was swinging my crowbar into the car next to me because it blew up as we were both super low on health. That hosed me up bad, dropped base morale from full to less than 1/4, too.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

masam posted:

Mine are tired and wounded too, it wants me to switch and I can't.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

masam posted:

There is no "sleep" function. Characters you aren't actively controlling will grab rest at your base when and where they can. Resting happens in "real time," just like base-building, so if you shut the game off for a couple of hours and come back later you should have people ready to go. Fatigue is a serious problem in small communities.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

You don't need to switch as soon as one person is tired. Your max stamina will just gradually decrease as you keep playing a tired character. There are also ways to replenish your max stamina, mostly through certain medicine items.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

masam posted:

coyo7e posted:

Mine are tired and wounded too, it wants me to switch and I can't.

They rest and heal when you're not controlling them. Not having enough beds for everyone can slow the resting process down, so try building another sleeping area if you haven't, but are able to.

In the mean time see if you find some coffee or gauva drinks. There should be a couple in the stash at the church if you haven't taken them already. They'll basically give you a second wind.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

404notfound posted:

You don't need to switch as soon as one person is tired. Your max stamina will just gradually decrease as you keep playing a tired character. There are also ways to replenish your max stamina, mostly through certain medicine items.

Meth. It's meth. The answer is crystal meth.

Soonmot posted:

So how do traps and safe zones work? I've clicked the "build traps" option in my outposts, but the only thing I see is a message on the map saying "Traps Ready."

I believe traps will destroy hordes that wander past the outpost. I'm not sure if they do anything to individual zombies.

quote:

Do safe zones vanish? Are they dependant on line of sight? I had a big portion of the first town safe while I was in the curch, but after moving bases, it shrank considerably, and not just because of the loss of the church base. Buildings right across from the Kirkman place would be marked as cleared and safe and then the circle would vanish a few minutes later.

Safe zones don't last forever. As zombies move around, they can re-infest cleared buildings. Home bases and, IIRC, outposts provide more permanent safe areas, but a cleared building safe area only lasts a little while.

quote:

I restarted this morning after playing all last night. Lost about half a dozen characters. The best was when I got both Marcus and Maya killed at the same time. Maya was coming back from a supply run and ran into a horde, I was near by and ran over to help.

She was knocked down near a car with two hordes on her, I started kicking rear end next to the car, keeping the zombies off her, but I guess, I was swinging my crowbar into the car next to me because it blew up as we were both super low on health. That hosed me up bad, dropped base morale from full to less than 1/4, too.

Nice.

masam
May 27, 2010
Found it, it's energy drinks'

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Man this game is exhausting. I've saved Ed (so far) but there's a lot going on. I've got about fourteen survivors to care for, I'm trying to find a new home, the Wilkersons are raiding (maybe?), there are people in Marshall who need my help, my allies keep getting stuck in the wilderness or swarmed on supply runs and Lily is depressed and bringing down morale.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I feel like this game doesn't give the right impression how essential killing hordes and trailing their point of origin is to the player and his/her community's survival. It goes without saying that they can easily overwhelm and kill a character if they get corned by one, but if you ignore them they can create infestations, which in turn causes more loner, special, and hordes of zombies to appear in an area. Finally, hordes can scare your NPCs into hiding which causes them to become 'missing' which mean there's a chance they can be they'll never be found again or even killed; I lost a game this way, half my community ended MIA and then my home base was swarmed by three different hordes. Everyone died fighting and screaming. :smith:

Outpost aren't needed, they're a loving requirement for survival.

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

"The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely owl like."

Dr.Oblivious posted:

I feel like this game doesn't give the right impression how essential killing hordes and trailing their point of origin is to the player and his/her community's survival. It goes without saying that they can easily overwhelm and kill a character if they get corned by one, but if you ignore them they can create infestations, which in turn causes more loner, special, and hordes of zombies to appear in an area. Finally, hordes can scare your NPCs into hiding which causes them to become 'missing' which mean there's a chance they can be they'll never be found again or even killed; I lost a game this way, half my community ended MIA and then my home base was swarmed by three different hordes. Everyone died fighting and screaming. :smith:

Outpost aren't needed, they're a loving requirement for survival.

I just hop in a car and take out the Horde with said car... I haven't found them too hard yet, how do you track their origin point?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I take it back, the best death was a survivor I rescued with the psycho trait. I had her fighting at 7, edged specialization at 5 and she was carrying a machete. I was clearing out a horde solo when a feral popped up. I killed all of those zombies, but a bad dodge led to me getting pounced and my poor girl torn up.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ZachRyker posted:

How DO you deal with the Big Dudes, anyway? Takes WAY too much ammo to put them down with guns, and getting into melee with them Ends Badly. Got both Marcus and Maya torn in half trying to get through that Wilkinson barricade mission, with Ed getting shot by Alan and the mission becoming unavaliable after Maya got offed.

Yes seriously, what the gently caress? I came here to post the exact same thing. They must take 20 shots and they just kill you if you try to melee them. That abandoned mansion mission is feeling like the final nail in the coffin for me on this game.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Interstellar Owl posted:

I just hop in a car and take out the Horde with said car...

I used up all the cars in Miller doing that, they just kept coming. :cry:

Interstellar Owl posted:

...how do you track their origin point?

Hordes will follow roads and pathways, so finding the infestation they originated from is just a matter of driving/walking down the road they came from and keeping an eye out any building that might have a load of zombies. Also, surveying reveals infestations.

GimpInBlack posted:

I believe traps will destroy hordes that wander past the outpost. I'm not sure if they do anything to individual zombies.

Any horde that step in an outpost's safe zone with an active trap will be killed, unfortunately traps take a while to reset once they're triggered. Loner zombies tend to avoid outposts from my observation.

NESguerilla posted:

Yes seriously, what the gently caress? I came here to post the exact same thing. They must take 20 shots and they just kill you if you try to melee them. That abandoned mansion mission is feeling like the final nail in the coffin for me on this game.

Turbo button + B causes your character to roll dodge, which is essential for avoiding his attacks. If you have someone with you, just whack him from behind when he attacks them until he's dead, if you're by yourself, look for anything that could explode like propane tanks, whiskey barrels, or cars that are on fire and shoot them when he's near them. If you don't have anything explosive on hand, get him to ram into a wall a couple of times when he does his charge attacks, he'll eventually become stunned for a few seconds which gives you enough time to either shoot him in the head (takes about 5 o 6 shots from a descent gun) or whack him a few times. Just repeat as many times as necessary.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jun 7, 2013

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Unless there's more than one Wilkinson barricade mission, I survived that with just one survivor (and it was a new chick--Eliana, I think) with no ammo just by boarding the walls fast as I could and occasionally throwing a molotov. The big guys never got inside and eventually just despawned. Not sure how to deal with them in the rest of the world, though--running them over just makes them bounce away and hurts the car a lot more.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

Grenades, thermite, fougasses, molotovs, mines. Magdumping a Kalashnikov into their face region also seems to take them down pretty quick, but explosives and incendiaries have been more consistently reliable for me.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Has anyone been able to figure out what specialties SMGs fall under? Is it pistol or assault rifles? :psyduck:

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

For anyone having trouble with the defense mission in the rundown building with the wilkersons, did you just ignore the dialog? They mention how the casks are filled with volatile moonshine outside, plus they give you a couple bottles of moonshine firebombs. Huck one of those at the big guy as he comes in and when he's near one of the casks and it'll take him down instantly.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Captain McStabbin posted:

For anyone having trouble with the defense mission in the rundown building with the wilkersons, did you just ignore the dialog? They mention how the casks are filled with volatile moonshine outside, plus they give you a couple bottles of moonshine firebombs. Huck one of those at the big guy as he comes in and when he's near one of the casks and it'll take him down instantly.

I completely missed the flammable casks thing and just let the big bastard in so me and the dude downstairs could wail on him.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Can't wait till they patch the survivor complaint dialogue. People are bitching about "the lack of food is going to start riots." I'm way over the maximum food storage limit. :psyduck:

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

Dr.Oblivious posted:

Has anyone been able to figure out what specialties SMGs fall under? Is it pistol or assault rifles? :psyduck:

Assault Rifles. It actually says it in the description. "Master the use of Assault Weapons. (Rifles and SMGs)"

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Ah gently caress, I didn't realize how little time I'd have to get to Doc Hanson. Or maybe it's because I spent too much time dicking around before the Doc Hanson mission even became available...

RIP, Ed :smith:

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

404notfound posted:

Ah gently caress, I didn't realize how little time I'd have to get to Doc Hanson. Or maybe it's because I spent too much time dicking around before the Doc Hanson mission even became available...

RIP, Ed :smith:

Everybody seems to be having ed die in one way or another. I kept all the other storyline folks alive except him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
My Ed seems alive and healthy. I'm playing as him right now in fact. He's pretty shook up though, and seems to have really low max health compared to everyone else.

EDIT: I've doomed myself haven't I? He's going to get ripped to shreds soon.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jun 7, 2013

• Locked thread