Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Houseplant posted:

Their whole discography is drat good. Also looking forward to seeing them soon!

You in Seattle? See you there if so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS

deadking posted:

Renihilation is, in my opinion, quite a good album. Besides, I think Liturgy are so reviled because Hunter, who is indisputably a peddler of hipster nonsense, is very outspoken about this nonsense and is quite visibly un-black metal. If it wasn't for "transcendental black metal" Liturgy would fly under the radar. It's funny to me though that Liturgy is singled out for this given the pretentious poo poo uttered by black metal standards. Of course, this doesn't defend the poo poo Hunter says or his music (Aesthethica is an extremely tedious album), but it says something to me that the black metal community is OK with pretentious nonsense as long as it's the right kind of pretentious nonsense.

I think both albums have a lot of interesting things going for them, but definitely aren't flipping black metal upside down like he seems to think. I totally agree that most of the problem is that Hunter is a terrible face for the band, largely due to the fact that he is still young and pretty fresh out of college(or maybe still in it?), and sort of lives inside of his own rear end. I'm hoping he mellows out and becomes a more reasonable dude over time(Like Varg, right? :tipshat:) At the same time, the massive backlash that the whole transcendental black metal manifesto caused, and the outpouring of kvlt grognard tears was loving hilarious. I think if anything, most of Liturgy's appeal is that it's black metal for math rock fans, and that'd be pretty sweet if the dude wasn't such an rear end in a top hat about what he wants to do.

I don't know if I'd agree with black metal supporting a specific brand of pretense though. I mean, sometimes they've had lofty goals/ideals(burning down churches, that whole asatru thing, etc.), but I don't know if I'd equate it with pretense. In fact, sometimes the problem is that the rampant traditionalism starts to approach anti-intellectual levels, to the point where the community is almost as bad as the churches and religions they stand against. It's pretty funny. I feel like all types in this scene sort of have their place in measures, but there's definitely a lot of dumb stuff and a lot of poo poo out there, and a lot of the frustration on either end comes through having to wade through it to get to the substance. It seems to be the case in any genre, once it gets enough exposure. Everything comes and goes in waves.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Fauna is the best Cascadian band.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Dq8tyOE3OQ

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Gamma Nerd posted:

You in Seattle? See you there if so.

Nah, Los Angeles. Any other goons going? A chance to see Melechesh, Vreid and Lightning Swords of Death:

6/16 - Los Angeles, California - The Joint
6/17 - San Francisco, California - DNA Lounge
6/18 - Portland, Oregon - Hawthorne
6/19 - Seattle, Washington - Studio Seven
6/20 - Vancouver, British Columbia - TBC
6/21 - Edmonton, Alberta - Pawn Shop
6/22 - Regina, Saskatchewan - The Exchange
6/23 - Winnipeg, Manitoba - TBC
6/24 - St. Paul, Minnesota - Station 4
6/25 - Joliet, Illinois - Mojoe's
6/26 - TBC
6/27 - Toronto, Ontario - WreckRoom
6/28 - Montreal, Quebec - Foufounes Electriques
6/29 - Keene, New Hampshire - Railroad Tavern
6/30 - New York, New York - Gramercy Theater

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Totally agree. Avifauna is an amazing album, can't stop listening to Syrinx. Check out Sadhaka if you haven't, they're more straightforward/riff orientated than Fauna, but still bloody good, and share members with them: http://sadhaka108.bandcamp.com/album/terma-2

coolbian57
Sep 27, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone heard of or listened to the band Ludicra from California? I didn't really catch them until after they split up, but they are a very professional group of musicians. The guitar work and bass work is simply incredible on some of these songs. Features Aesop Dekker from Agalloch, for those that know his work. Really just a stunning, breathtaking band, in my opinion. Really really recommend people check them out. I don't normally listen to a load of black metal, I just really thought this band is quite special (got the organic feel going on).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MZcyfgz_Lk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km3s1ykMZWg

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Took me long enough to finally remember to look up some Liturgy music on youtube to see what all the fuss is about. Simple summary for me, they're a pretty good band ruined by bad decisions in vocals. The vocals sound like a cat slowly being dipped back and forth between a vat of acid and a pan filled with salt. Reading the comments on any given youtube of theirs is a pretty fun trek though.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

5er posted:

Took me long enough to finally remember to look up some Liturgy music on youtube to see what all the fuss is about. Simple summary for me, they're a pretty good band ruined by bad decisions in vocals. The vocals sound like a cat slowly being dipped back and forth between a vat of acid and a pan filled with salt. Reading the comments on any given youtube of theirs is a pretty fun trek though.

HHH is a very poor vocalist, but the songs themselves are really beautiful and compelling in some weird way. Returner is such a drat good track.

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013
Skagos & Fell voices are probably the two cascadian type bands other than Ash Borer, Clair Cassis & WITTR I really enjoy. Skagos are the game of thrones themed one, aren't they?

edit: imho ash borer were the new weakling until their follow up album wasnt an improvement on the self-titled (imho it was more of the same with worse (less unique) sounding production

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Gamma Nerd posted:

HHH is a very poor vocalist, but the songs themselves are really beautiful and compelling in some weird way. Returner is such a drat good track.

I thought they were ok, and Returner was one of the songs I listened to, but I didn't get particularly moved by any of it. Reading comments overall left me with the impression that people that hate this band were squaring off against people that spend more times enjoying categorizing music, comparing it, cataloging it, waxing pretentiously about genres than actually listening to it. It seems to me that this band, or at least the obnoxiously academic frontman is spending way too much time trying to muscle their way into fame and relevance with namedrops, and hoping like hell that the people that will spend money on their music won't realize that they are not in fact some kind of genre-destroying original entity so much as a pretty obvious podge of recognizable influences.

It's been a slow day at work, and I have happened across a collection of reviews for Aesthetica @ metal-archives.com. Considering how rough this room gets, I expect semi- to fully professional reviews to yield a high entertainment payload.

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS

5er posted:

I thought they were ok, and Returner was one of the songs I listened to, but I didn't get particularly moved by any of it. Reading comments overall left me with the impression that people that hate this band were squaring off against people that spend more times enjoying categorizing music, comparing it, cataloging it, waxing pretentiously about genres than actually listening to it. It seems to me that this band, or at least the obnoxiously academic frontman is spending way too much time trying to muscle their way into fame and relevance with namedrops, and hoping like hell that the people that will spend money on their music won't realize that they are not in fact some kind of genre-destroying original entity so much as a pretty obvious podge of recognizable influences.

It's been a slow day at work, and I have happened across a collection of reviews for Aesthetica @ metal-archives.com. Considering how rough this room gets, I expect semi- to fully professional reviews to yield a high entertainment payload.

I think HHH's biggest mistake was pretty much directly attacking the main community he was seeking to be a part of. The first time I heard about them was from the controversy with that dissertation thing. I looked at it, and thought the basic idea behind what he was saying was interesting, although super pretentious and kind of dumb in spots, but I'm glad I actually bothered to listen to them because I like math rock too and they seem to take a lot of influence from that.

It's a shame the kid poisoned the well from so early on. I bet you're right about metal-archives frothing at the mouth about their albums though. You should pop in and share some choice quotes when you're done.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Liturgy would almost never be widely accepted musically by peers even if he hadn't opened his mouth. The vast majority of "larger" bands these days have their primary influences rooted in very specific areas, none of which Liturgy really draw from.

His proselytizing after scion alongside his manifesto are absolutely cringeworthy in the extreme, but ultimately, he's not really doing anything worse than hiding out in a basement and waxing lyrical about taking over the world for the devil. It's just that the music is dross, and anybody who wanted the music without the baggage can go listen to Krallice anyway.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wCO2vPFel0

Thorns - Existence, can anyone point out anything like this?

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
The new Watain song is up on Spotify. It's pretty sweet.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Measly Twerp posted:

"Sick Transit Gloria Mundi" by Red Harvest is magnificent.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

RYYSZLA posted:

Skagos & Fell voices are probably the two cascadian type bands other than Ash Borer, Clair Cassis & WITTR I really enjoy. Skagos are the game of thrones themed one, aren't they?

The name comes from A Song of Ice and Fire, I think, although I've never seen that confirmed anywhere. In any case, unless I'm missing something big none of Skagos' lyrics have anything to do with the books.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

deadking posted:

The name comes from A Song of Ice and Fire, I think, although I've never seen that confirmed anywhere. In any case, unless I'm missing something big none of Skagos' lyrics have anything to do with the books.

I figure they just like the sound of the name.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

Measly Twerp posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wCO2vPFel0

None of my recommendations really approaches the quality of that album, but that goes without saying when we're talking about Thorns. (You've heard the Thorns v. Emperor split, right? "Aerie Descent" is worth the price of the whole (patchy) thing.)

Even if Snorre Ruch (AKA Thorns) only had a bit part on Satyricon's Rebel Extravaganza, you can tell Satyr took some influence from the former's music. The main problem with the album is that the good songs go on way, way too long. I have no idea if Satyr thought he was building musical tension or what, but something like "Tied in Bronze Chains" would've been spectacular if it had had like half of its length lopped off. Having said that, this is probably the best song overall: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtlJ37vIsko

Speaking of Rebel Extravaganza, Anders Odden also played on it, and his band Cadaver, when briefly known as Cadaver Inc, put out an album that should have gotten a lot more recognition. It doesn't have quite as much of the cold, mechanical, sci-fi sound, and speedwise it makes Thorns sound like Khanate, but it sort of travels along similar lines. The drumming is insane. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUrGP-jGo6A The vocalist, who also is in Aura Noir, used to be one of the vocalists for --

-- Dodheimsgard, who tried to do the whole millennial cybermetal thing and had questionable results. I remember when Supervillain Outcast first came out it was universally panned, but for whatever reason the reviews of metal-archives are trending it back toward universal praise. Personally I think it's ... interesting, but probably not something that needed to have the Dodheimsgard name on it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfO1ZSYh_ho

But really nothing sounds like Thorns.

e: I figured I should give another listen to Supervillain Outcast and dear god it's still just as awful as I'd remembered. I hope 666 International is better.

Von Sloneker fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jun 14, 2013

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Anus Dei posted:

-- Dodheimsgard, who tried to do the whole millennial cybermetal thing and had questionable results. I remember when Supervillain Outcast first came out it was universally panned, but for whatever reason the reviews of metal-archives are trending it back toward universal praise. Personally I think it's ... interesting, but probably not something that needed to have the Dodheimsgard name on it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfO1ZSYh_ho

e: I figured I should give another listen to Supervillain Outcast and dear god it's still just as awful as I'd remembered. I hope 666 International is better.

Satanic Art is really the only thing worth listening to.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyADnkGNswI

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Killsion posted:

Satanic Art is really the only thing worth listening to.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyADnkGNswI

Uhh Kronet Til Konge is a pretty excellent album dude.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

m-o-o-n posted:

Uhh Kronet Til Konge is a pretty excellent album dude.

It's decent but overall isn't really special in the same way as Satanic Art is.

Barehanded Brother
Feb 12, 2007

When you have a Hammer, everything looks like a nail.
So I usually don't truck much in black metal, being mostly a tech death/Swedish death/prog metal fan, which means I didn't discover Anaal Nathrakh until earlier this week and I just have to tell someone how amazing they are because none of friends (even metalhead ones) know who they are. I figured this would be the best place to release my unfiltered newfound fanboyism before it results in me shortsightedly buying an avatar with the lyrics to "Vesti la Giubba" on it.

Sorry for the ramble, and sorry if they've been discussed and dismissed in this thread for possibly not being trve kvlt enough (I did a quick search but saw not much), but I just had to tell someone. :black101:

Verizian posted:

More of a reinterpretation than a genre mix but this is basically Vesti La Glubba and I've heard Anaal Nathrakh described as "Philosophically, Blackened, Industrial-Deathgrind" several times.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTJGoDsiRzk

fake e: this song. this loving song right here

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Anaal Nathrakh are loving champions and I wish there was more Nathrakhchat going on. Their whatever genre is amazing; there needs to be more bands that do the whole poppy song arrangement with clean choruses and crazy noisy verses.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Massive Anaal Nathrakh fan reporting in. Been lucky enough to see them around 3 times now. They make the best drat music and are the nicest guys too. In The Constellation of the Black Widow will probably stay with me forever because it is the first album of theirs I checked out, I wasn't really in to extreme metal at the time, and I'd never heard anything like it.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Anaal Nathrakh fuckin' owns. The Codex Necro is one of the most vicious albums I've ever heard to this day.

Sauska
Sep 12, 2012

Anus Dei posted:

words about thorns

honestly the closest thing I can really think of are the metal portions of written in waters but that's what, 15 minutes of the entire album?
I've kinda wondered why no one else has really done this sound that much.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Anus Dei posted:

Thanks for this. I have a really hard time with Rebel Extravaganza, the album irks me and somehow just isn't fun to listen to. I'll check out the other suggestions though.

Sauska posted:

honestly the closest thing I can really think of are the metal portions of written in waters but that's what, 15 minutes of the entire album?
I've kinda wondered why no one else has really done this sound that much.

Because Thorns is awesome, and no one else isn't, and no one else knows it. Yes.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I want to hear some black metal with vocals that deviate from the typical rasp and get into the high pitched forlorn screaming for your life kind of thing. I'd also prefer some clear production rather than the typical muddy poo poo. Any ideas?

I guess I'm looking for a performance similar to Ville's on Moonsorrow's Verisakeet, or like Tod Huetet Uebel off of Passion. Also, don't recommend me Silencer.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Trees and Squids posted:

I want to hear some black metal with vocals that deviate from the typical rasp and get into the high pitched forlorn screaming for your life kind of thing. I'd also prefer some clear production rather than the typical muddy poo poo. Any ideas?

I guess I'm looking for a performance similar to Ville's on Moonsorrow's Verisakeet, or like Tod Huetet Uebel off of Passion. Also, don't recommend me Silencer.

Forgotten Woods - is the type of thing you're looking for?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqkMWLNrkP8

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
I don't think it's quite what you want, the vocals are high and raspy, but maybe not that high, and it's not black metal:

Vektor - Outer Isolation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZeltyIhaw0

It's still awesome though. Jump to 3:20.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I should really listen to Vektor some more, this is great and I'm digging the vocals. It doesn't really hit that 'sad' kind of note I was going for though.

Forgotten Woods is pretty close to what I'm thinking of, but gently caress me that delay on that guy's vocals is irritating. I'll check out some of their other material.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Maybe not what you're looking for, but Inquisition's vocals are certainly...different.

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
Anybody on here check out Progenie Terrestra Pura? They're from Italy and play atmospheric/progressive black metal with sci-fi themes. Pretty awesome stuff. Here's a full album stream from their YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFOO1qSXS6Q

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I listened to Anaal Nathrakh's 'Passion' this weekend for the first time based on this thread's recent exhortation of the band. I pretty much loved it, and will go looking for 'Vanitas' next.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Trees and Squids posted:

Austere
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRsofblEK3A

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

5er posted:

I listened to Anaal Nathrakh's 'Passion' this weekend for the first time based on this thread's recent exhortation of the band. I pretty much loved it, and will go looking for 'Vanitas' next.

You're in for a treat, Passion is pretty much the worst album they've released. Vanitas and Constellation of the Black Widow are probably the best metal albums I've ever heard by comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3H-qM11wH8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zYSv9IqzEg

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS

5er posted:

My favorite has always been The Codex Necro. I've never really heard anything quite like it since. It's possibly the heaviest record ever made.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

Verizian posted:

You're in for a treat, Passion is pretty much the worst album they've released. Vanitas and Constellation of the Black Widow are probably the best metal albums I've ever heard by comparison.

Hmmm, I didn't know Passion was so disliked. It's definitely a step down from In the Constellation..., but I think it has some choice tracks on it. In my opinion, Hell is Empty... is their weakest effort.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Well gently caress, nowhere to go but up for me apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
And then after all that, listen to Eschaton - save the best for last :getin: