Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"

Flameingblack posted:

It wasn't my conversation, but some of the #tWo were talking about Akira Tozawa on Twitter without @mentioning him and he found his way into the conversation and is palling around with Sunsweet Bobkatt and VanBuren. :3:

Of all the times for me to use a word like "grody".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

sunsweet posted:

Of all the times for me to use a word like "grody".
I'm surprised he even knew what it meant since I barely do. But if Tozawa rubbed the mexican flag all over his crotch because he loved Mexico, does this mean Austin Aeries truly loves Christy Hemme?

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"

Flameingblack posted:

I'm surprised he even knew what it meant since I barely do. But if Tozawa rubbed the mexican flag all over his crotch because he loved Mexico, does this mean Austin Aries truly loves Christy Hemme?

It's just a different way of saying "gross" if you're an eighth grade girl. As for Aries, well, I didn't mention it but Tozawa also wiped his rear end with the flag sooooooo

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

@fakekinkade (Alex Shelley) posted:

One year ago, I decided to come to @njpw1972. They gave me a home. But I wanted to earn everyone's respect before I could feel comfortable. Now, a year later, I am just starting to feel comfortable. And I am realizing that @njpw1972 fans are the most loyal in the world. If you are a fan who followed me to NJPW, a Japanese fan, European, American, Mexican, English, a wrestler or non wrestler, I just want to say thanks from the bottom of my heart. Living through this tour has been an honor and dream come true.

:unsmith: He's so happy.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

That makes me realize I haven't watched an Alex Shelley match in a long loving time.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Kifisonfire posted:

That makes me realize I haven't watched an Alex Shelley match in a long loving time.

you're missing out. He's been doing tags with KUSHIDA in NJPW and it has been awesome.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I miss him, but I can never get into Puro. Just not for me.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

LividLiquid posted:

I'm just curious from a person who has gotten into for a while now, what about puro makes it not for you?

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

achillesforever6 posted:

I'm just curious from a person who has gotten into for a while now, what about puro makes it not for you?

For me it's the language barrier, if they had an English commentary team, I think I'd watch a lot more NJPW.

Like I watch the occasional puro match and I love the NJPW that matches that get nominated in the MOTY thread but even TNA springs for a foreign commentary team or two.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Yuriy posted:

Like I watch the occasional puro match and I love the NJPW that matches that get nominated in the MOTY thread but even TNA springs for a foreign commentary team or two.

That's because TNA actually has TV shows that air in other countries. No one is scrambling to pick up a Japanese wrestling promotion to air in the US. And honestly you aren't missing anything. All the commentators do is basically call the moves and even those are in english to a degree that is understandable when you hear that moves name.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

LividLiquid posted:

Because it's usually good???

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

KungFu Grip posted:

That's because TNA actually has TV shows that air in other countries. No one is scrambling to pick up a Japanese wrestling promotion to air in the US. And honestly you aren't missing anything. All the commentators do is basically call the moves and even those are in english to a degree that is understandable when you hear that moves name.
Plus I don't know, but I just love hearing the Japanese language, I have no idea what they are saying, but some reason it doesn't bug me.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

achillesforever6 posted:

Plus I don't know, but I just love hearing the Japanese language, I have no idea what they are saying, but some reason it doesn't bug me.

I don't care about the commentary (excited voices that bring energy to a match? Who cares if I don't understand it, it's helping!) but would REALLY like the promos translated. I've said it before, and the usual response of "It's really simple stuff so don't sweat it" is completely valid, but from what I've heard from Japanese speakers there are really interesting nuances going on and I'd like to know what they are.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

achillesforever6 posted:

And the few times you do know what they're saying, it's loving awesome.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

HulkaMatt posted:

Because it's usually good???
Respect.

No, it's just the language barrier. It's a better reason than I have for not watching ROH. That black ring just drives me nuts for some reason. I can't get past it.

But if WWE goes full steam on Bryan Danielson, I might not have to watch TNA anymore.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Edit: Sorry. Awful Betamax problem.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I know what you mean about the language barrier hurting NJPW. I enjoy the matches I watch, but I know I'd enjoy it a lot more with good commentary I could understand.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

triplexpac posted:

I know what you mean about the language barrier hurting NJPW. I enjoy the matches I watch, but I know I'd enjoy it a lot more with good commentary I could understand.

How would you enjoy it more? It's not like the commentary could add anything to the story, hell the last 3 BOSJ matches were pretty much "Can Devitt go 8-0?" and "winner gets a semi-final spot".

Maybe some of us should get on Skype during a NJPW iPPV and do our own commentary.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Twitter thread takes a dark turn...

quote:

This is not a joke. 3 masked guys with guns broke into my parents house through the kitchen window. They tied my folks up and my brother too

— Justin Credible (@PJPOLACO) June 6, 2013

quote:

They had guns pointed. At them.They checked the downstair door where me and my wife stay, but it was locked. They took some jewelry

— Justin Credible (@PJPOLACO) June 6, 2013

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

njsykora posted:

How would you enjoy it more? It's not like the commentary could add anything to the story, hell the last 3 BOSJ matches were pretty much "Can Devitt go 8-0?" and "winner gets a semi-final spot".

I think you're underselling what good commentary can do. When we're watching WWE or TNA, announcers are a big deal to us and we praise good ones and hate bad ones. But when we're watching NJPW, all of a sudden commentary doesn't add anything to the experience?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

To me it's more the enthusiasm of the announcers than what they're actually saying most of the time. Even if I barely understand them, I adore lucha commentary.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

triplexpac posted:

I think you're underselling what good commentary can do. When we're watching WWE or TNA, announcers are a big deal to us and we praise good ones and hate bad ones. But when we're watching NJPW, all of a sudden commentary doesn't add anything to the experience?

Except the commentary does even though I can barely understand the language since the commentators actually sound excited and even if they are bickering back in forth like WWE and TNA and ROH commentators, I can't understand it. My whole problem with WWE and TNA commentators being bad is that they just loving argue among themselves more often then not, and when they don't its only to shill or promote some bullshit. With NJPW's commentary I can pick up the important stuff going on in the ring and enjoy it when a commentator screams "RAIN MAKER" or "LARIAAAATOOOOO" or whatever Suplex that gets hit. Its the excitement in their voice that gets me into the matches while I just tune out whatever bullshit Cole and Lawler or Taz and Tenay are spewing.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Honestly, I prefer commentary I can't understand. If Japanese commentary is anything like modern English commentary, its a bunch lame in-jokes and wondering where superstar X is.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

flashy_mcflash posted:

Twitter thread takes a dark turn...

So that's what Shane Douglas has been up to.

coconono posted:

Honestly, I prefer commentary I can't understand. If Japanese commentary is anything like modern English commentary, its a bunch lame in-jokes and wondering where superstar X is.

BEARS

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Jesus Christ. I hope everyones ok since Justin didn't say anyone was hurt.

Also

NEW MEMBERS OF ACES & EIGHTS????

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I've gotten used to the Japanese commentary and am fine with it now, but subtitled promos would be a great way to further my enjoyment of the product. I know it'll never happen considering that Japanese fans are used to gaijin like Devitt cutting English language promos in the ring all the time.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Somehow I just noticed from those tweets, but Justin Credible and his wife live in his parents basement?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

flashy_mcflash posted:

Somehow I just noticed from those tweets, but Justin Credible and his wife live in his parents basement?

dude probably doesn't get any residuals and works at Olive Garden.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

flashy_mcflash posted:

At first I read this as Justin Gabriel, and I was sad.

Well I'm still kinda sad I guess, but at least Credible has a wife and a home of sorts.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Could just be the same apartment building.

Also it's a worldwide depression. Hard times for everyone.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
He is also getting his life back together. It could be the best thing for his sobriety.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

coconono posted:

dude probably doesn't get any residuals and works at Olive Garden.

Oh man, I forgot he was the one working at OG. Could be worse, I guess. He could be this guy:

quote:

On April 28, 2012, Polaco was scheduled to wrestle on Shane Douglas' Extreme Reunion show, but was removed from the card, as well as the building several times after being found “slumped over, passed out asleep” in a chair. He also walked through the crowd intoxicated asking for money. While he begged management to be let back on the show, they denied his request and kicked him out a second time.[11]

:(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Credible#Independent_circuit_.282007.E2.80.93present.29

Dude needs DDP in the worst way.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Oh man, I forgot he was the one working at OG. Could be worse, I guess. He could be this guy:

:(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Credible#Independent_circuit_.282007.E2.80.93present.29

Dude needs DDP in the worst way.
Judging by his twitter, he's been clean for a while and does DDP yoga regularly.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

That's good to hear. Though it makes it a bit sadder that JC is on his way back up and then a horrifying home invasion happens.

wcwchris
Jun 7, 2011

I probably found this funnier than I should, but the mental image in my head after reading it will forever make me laugh.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Poor Delirious.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
Punk is at Game 5 of the Kings/Blackhawks series and Scott Armstrong is wondering what he does during commercial breaks:

RudoReels
Feb 21, 2013

RudoReels.com for International Pro Wrestling DVDs and Downloads.

Free downloads in every newsletter email!
I'm a bit late to the discussion.. but I think we have been conditioned--by average American wrestling--to rely on commentators to lead us through the match. We're used to being TOLD a story rather than SEEING a story being told. With foreign language companies, that crutch is kicked out from under us, and we forget to look for the story in the match itself.

I mean for the most part, there's a lot of WWE throughout the past 15-20 years that would be pretty crummy if we tried to watch it without commentary. Ironically, they've pretty much always had bad commentary! Don't get me wrong, I watch tons of WWE, and even suffer through TNA from time to time, but very few seem to be truly good at the art of storytelling in the ring. Hell, just selling is a dying art. Especially with WWE's "we don't want to insult your intelligence" logic of not bothering to make it look real.

Anyway...

I find puro refreshing really because the commentary doesn't do all the work for your brain. You can tell when there is excitement in their voices, and that's the only guide you need (as if you need to be told when to be excited, but, ya know). To each their own i suppose. But if you want to ease into it, go big with something like a Kobashi vs Misawa feud retrospective. Probably as good as it gets right there. Or, grab a disc of a well known American star in Japan. You'll at least be invested by the fact that you'll already be knowledgeable of the story of that wrestler's career and what brought him there.

Try this... try watching some of your favorite American matches with the sound muted. Focus on figuring out what the wrestlers are trying to do. Commentary adds to a match, but let's not forget that there's no commentary for the people in attendance, and those wrestlers have to actually do something to get those fans to react. We as viewers have relied too heavily on commentary to get the matches over because the storytelling quality is decreasing more and more over the years.

RudoReels fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jun 9, 2013

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

Wario Kart 64 posted:

Punk is at Game 5 of the Kings/Blackhawks series and Scott Armstrong is wondering what he does during commercial breaks:

Punk vs WWE app at Summerslam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dwayne :swoon: