Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

various cheeses posted:

This thread has me 95% convinced to rescue a greyhound after I move in to my new house. I think I'll get a black one, because I keep reading that black greyhounds are adopted less often for some reason.

Apparently people are cat racist against black cats, so it wouldn't entirely surprise me to find the same is true of dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

The black ones are the best because when their good coat grows in, it is all shiny and silky. And they get all warm from sunshine. And they look good in any color scarf.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

My friend's family has a rescue greyhound (Maggie) and a saluki/greyhound lurcher (Fin).

I have barely any pictures of Maggie. She either ignores me or just tries to shove her face into my treat bag.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Oh wow that's a good looking dog.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Is there any place I can use the ear tattoo numbers to look up a retired racer's history? I'm curious about Jojo's.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

http://www.greyhound-data.com/earmark.htm
Tess got first in 3 of 22 races. Casey got first in 52 of 106.
What this means is that Tess retired earlier so her teeth are much nicer.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

It's also neat, because you can see pictures of your grey's parents and siblings.

I totally misremembered Mona's racing history. She was a way worse racer than I thought: 1/7 in 2nd, 1 in 5th, 1 in 6th and a whopping 4/7 races in 8th. It's funny because when I run with her, she'll totally look back to make sure she's not in front of me. Definitely not the trait you want in your racing dog.

Fake Ken Rockwell
May 13, 2013

Shot in Professional ("P" mode) and Auto ISO, as I and my pro friends always shoot
Also you may be able to get videos of your grey's races at http://www.trackinfo.com . Mine still gets excited at the sound of the bell.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I found Jojo's page. Her profile picture. :lol:

I apparently have no idea how to read these pages and can't tell if she actually raced/won anything I don't know. :saddowns:

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.

Skizzles posted:

I found Jojo's page. Her profile picture. :lol:

I apparently have no idea how to read these pages and can't tell if she actually raced/won anything I don't know. :saddowns:

If you have an account, you can click on the link that reads "94 Races" and sort by "Fin." She came in 1st for twelve of them.

Bruinator
Jul 6, 2005
Trackinfo is also the only place to find race results from Caliente if your dogs raced down in Tijuana. One of my dogs has like 11 mediocre results from Phoenix and Tuscon on greyhound data so I thought she didn't really race that much but there were another 90 races down in TJ I found on trackinfo where she did much better.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.
About to move into a new place with my (front declawed) cat. My girlfriend will be moving in a few months later, and she has an Italian Greyhound. I love the little fella, but I'm worried he's going to go after my cat, and while I'm not sure he'd be able to gently caress my cat up (Gus weighs 16 pounds), I'd like to avoid the barking and chasing and chaos. Any tips for introducing Iggys to cats? The crazy thing is I feel like they could be super animal friends based on a mutual love of snuggling IF THEY WOULD ONLY ALLOW THEMSELVES TO LOVE.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
This is a stupid question, but something I've always been curious about and don't care enough to look up on Google.

How are Greyhounds at swimming? I have always wondered how a track dog would react to something like that and if they would even know what to do.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

HappyHelmet posted:

This is a stupid question, but something I've always been curious about and don't care enough to look up on Google.

How are Greyhounds at swimming? I have always wondered how a track dog would react to something like that and if they would even know what to do.

They tend to sink like rocks. I don't know if it's the low body fat or what, but they don't have a lot of natural buoyancy. Maybe if you put a life jacket on them to help them float they could be good swimmers. They do have very powerful legs after all, and streamlined bodies.

Husker enjoyed splashing around in the little kiddie pools they had at the dog park, and I've known other greyhounds that liked to play with water, so I imagine some of them might enjoy it.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

There are videos on Youtube of greyhounds swimming and learning to swim, but generally they do have life jackets on, and are closely watched.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

RazorBunny posted:

They tend to sink like rocks. I don't know if it's the low body fat or what, but they don't have a lot of natural buoyancy. Maybe if you put a life jacket on them to help them float they could be good swimmers. They do have very powerful legs after all, and streamlined bodies.

Husker enjoyed splashing around in the little kiddie pools they had at the dog park, and I've known other greyhounds that liked to play with water, so I imagine some of them might enjoy it.

Ah, kind of what I figured. I'm a little surprised they are not afraid to go into water though.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

First time Mona was allowed to walk up to a river, she decided to make herself comfortable:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

HappyHelmet posted:

Ah, kind of what I figured. I'm a little surprised they are not afraid to go into water though.

I'm not sure most of them know what it is, the first time they encounter water in larger quantities than a bowl. Some of them might react fearfully, but I think as soon as Husker figured out that cool water on his feet felt good, he was all for the idea.

What was really funny was that he would make digging motions in water. He was never a digger in general, but he would make these huge sweeping dig motions in water that got him all wet. Wouldn't lay down in water like Mona is in that picture, though.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Now that you mention it, the guy that hauls the greyhounds from the various tracks to my rescue gave a talk at a picnic once. In it, he said that a the tracks he works with, after the greys race, they make them run into a long pool to cool down. Some love it, some have to be prodded to go in. Not sure if every track does this though, but I think greys have seen large pools of water.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

gninjagnome posted:

Now that you mention it, the guy that hauls the greyhounds from the various tracks to my rescue gave a talk at a picnic once. In it, he said that a the tracks he works with, after the greys race, they make them run into a long pool to cool down. Some love it, some have to be prodded to go in. Not sure if every track does this though, but I think greys have seen large pools of water.

I'm pretty sure they don't have that at the track in West Virginia, but I'm sure practices vary from track to track. My dog definitely seemed baffled by the presence of large quantities of water. He seemed to know what a water hose was, though, and did NOT want to be sprayed with one, so maybe they do their cool-offs the same way we did at the polo barn - by spraying cool water over the animals and letting evaporation do the work.

Fake Ken Rockwell
May 13, 2013

Shot in Professional ("P" mode) and Auto ISO, as I and my pro friends always shoot
Some just try to dig through water: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=131743700201533 (hope this will work)

At the track here, they get hosed down at the end of every run.

Mine doesn't swim, we have a kiddie pool and he thinks it's a giant water bowl.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My whippet is weird with water. If I splash water at her while I'm running a bath she'll recoil and paw at her face to remove even just a droplet, but she used to dive into the large pond where we used to walk with no hesitation. Literally every walk, she would rocket into this pond at least once. Now I walk her by a gentle river and she won't touch it unless I stand in it myself or throw floating treats in for her to retrieve, and even then she's out of it as soon as possible. I really don't quite understand her feelings towards water. :shobon:

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Hey so check this guy out he just jumped in the back of my car while I was parked at the rescue for totally unrelated reasons and now keeps staring at me after following me into the house.

No, but seriously, he's an awesome dog. He just wolfed down his dinner(gonna have to get one of those anti-inhaling bowls) and is now having a lie-down. He already knows the red spotty bed is his bed as he's picked up and taken that squeaky toy to it, even after I moved into the living room so I could keep an eye on him without having to tether him.

He's been really good with the birds too. Sniffing at them, and occasionally watching but it wasn't like the real hard stare, except when the cockatiel did cockatiel things like being afraid of its own shadow. A little desensitization for all parties involved and it'll be fine. For now I've moved the birds to a seperate room so everyone can get settled.

EDIT: Shortly after his first walk:

Current status: Has learned how to make toys make noise.

It's a good sign that he's already playing and such, right?

Cluncho McChunk fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 14, 2013

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Totally depends on the dog but most of ours started off pretty reserved and came out of their shells more and more over the course of their first month and then pretty much kept that personality until they got to around 7-8 and then started mellowing out and becoming wise old awesome dogs.

I'll try to remember to picture dump when I get home. We got another grey a month or two back - our first young one in a number of years - and he's hilarious.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Yay congrats Trauma! He looks like a sweetie, and like he is settling in pretty well! He is probably already a bit comfortable with you because you've visited him. If he already knows to take his toys to his bed,match out for socks, slippers, etc to disappear to his bed too. One of union, and my favorite games is "no, MY slipper"

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Everyone please keep posting great greyhound stories and pics. My girlfriend and I are getting a greyhound after I take the bar and we just keep coming back here and being all :3:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Here's Rubin The Warrior aka Patch. He's about 3 and a half years old and weighs in the low 70 lb range. He had 99 races and came in 1st in 13 of them and would have raced more but he broke his leg. The vet said they did a fantastic job setting the break and he could barely tell it was ever broken. Patch doesn't seem to be aware that he ever had a broken leg either so that's great.

He's an extremely happy dog and loves everyone. He also wants to murder the poo poo out of all local wild life :3:

He really really likes running to and it's really easy to get him going (pardon my old-and-not-very-good-at-action-shots camera):

The last 3 dogs we had before him had all be older (two returns and a momma dog) and already knew how houses and stairs and such worked so we had kind of forgotten what a dog fresh on the track was like. Mirrors and windows were a challenge for a while and stairs took a day or two to figure out. He unfortunately knows how to bark very well and does far too good a job alerting us to the existence of everything. Like I said though he loves everyone and is a ton of fun.

My family has had 9 greyhounds over the past ~18 years and they are really awesome dogs. I'll get some more pictures up of some of the others later.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

These are the BEST ears ever :3:

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I love mona's ears - they're very expressive:

They're normally backwards:

But sometimes she pretends she's a real greyhound and has them go back. It's actually kinda funny, because she'll do this when she's around other greys - like she's trying to fit in:

Then other times, they're just flopping around:

I need a good pic of them standing straight up - they're huge.

Also - I have way to many pictures of Mona.

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 15, 2013

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

I've never seen a white greyhound, how pretty! Or a grey with such huge ears....

I love black greyhounds because they look all sleek, but I think my second favorite kind are the ones who have pale fur and super spotty skin all over, freckledogs :)

Union only barks sometimes if someone is at the door or if she is desperate for me to wake up. And it is always just one big bark. It's surprising what a big-dog bark she has. Must be those big lungs.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Things are going well at casa del trauma, despite an early awakening. When I went to bed I left my door open so I could hear if he had any issues in the living room, but he kept walking between the living room and my bedroom and giving me sad looks, so I moved his bed into the bedroom and he flopped right down. As far as I can tell he then slept through from 2230 or so to 0600, at which point he only woke me up by bumping his head on the sofa, so I can't really hold it against him. Took him out for a wee and he came right back in and started dozing again while I pretended I am in any way capable of going back to sleep when its light out. My birds didn't help this endeavour by being loud, however.

I'm just amazed that there's been no noise from him at all except doggie sighs and yawns. I expected at least a little crying the first night.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

This Greyhound puppy cam seems appropriate for this thread.

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport
Oh good, a place for me to talk about and show pictures of my weird dogs.

Sassafras (left) is a 7 year old retired racer. Atticus is a nearly four year old whippet. I like them.

Sometimes they play.

Usually they sleep.

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/LzMDotrh.jpg[[/timg]

Occasionally they steal things off the counters, like entire brand new bags of flour.

Often we go hiking near our house, which they enjoy.

We'll only ever have sighthounds from here on out. Our dogs are amazing and we're actively beginning the search for a third now.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Sassafras! Sassafras sassafras

Your dog's got a dirty face.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Those ears! So expressive :3:

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport
Well, it finally happened. Nearly four years after adopting Sassafras, we got our first tail injury. Pressure change in the upstairs caused a bedroom door to slam right on her tail. Three big lacerations and blood everywhere.

Luckily we have a fantastic vet here and she got Sassy all fixed up. She seems to barely notice it, other than the fact that her tail is heavier now. The good thing to come out of all this is that the whippet, Atticus, stepped up and started taking care of her. We've not really seen that before. Going to adopt 5 more.

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Though she is small, she is fierce.
Man people accusing me of starving my dog is getting really old :rolleyes: how do you guys deal with it?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

notsowelp posted:

Man people accusing me of starving my dog is getting really old :rolleyes: how do you guys deal with it?

It depends on their attitude, really. Sometimes I'd try and educate them, sometimes I'd just ignore them, sometimes I'd make a joke...

Usually if I said "He eats four cups of premium dog food a day," most of the concerned dog ladies :rolleyes: would back off.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Holy poo poo, that's a thing that actually happens? Have these people somehow managed to not see a greyhound/whippet before in their lives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Though she is small, she is fierce.

Kojiro posted:

Holy poo poo, that's a thing that actually happens? Have these people somehow managed to not see a greyhound/whippet before in their lives?

Yeah. Somebody told me Mouse was ~emaciated~ a couple of days ago, foreverrolleyes :rolleyes: