Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightningKnight
Sep 20, 2012

KittenofDoom posted:

Terrible anatomy, bad facial expressions, boring perspective shots and backgrounds, uninteresting character designs, and confusing action sequences, to name a few.

The monster designs are great, though.

I hate to say it, but you're... kinda right, yeah. I have to say I like the facial expressions, though. They're just exaggerated enough to work without being dull surprise or stupidly melodramatic looking.

I... could excuse the character designs seeing as how most characters are in the same uniform and have similar body types and realistic hairstyles, but then other series have dealt with those problems without suffering from them. Fullmetal Alchemist's many military characters come to mind as an example of how to do that right. Unfortunately the artist isn't great at differentiating facial designs, so I tend to get any characters with similar hairstyles confused in the manga. The anime gets an easy pass because it further defines characters' features and it can rely on stuff like hair color, eye color and voice to make characters identifiable.

So yeah... the story is definitely the manga's strong point, art not so much. If the anime stays faithful to the plot, then this could end up being one of those cases where the anime surpasses the manga. Hopefully they keep doing like they're doing and continue to make slight tweaks to make everything more logical and coherent pacing-wise (like putting all the flashbacks in the middle of the manga at the beginning where they make sense).

LightningKnight fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jun 6, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I thought the extra stuff they added in during the Mikasa internal conflict stuff when Eren-Titan first appears was pretty terrible.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

KittenofDoom posted:

Terrible anatomy, bad facial expressions, boring perspective shots and backgrounds, uninteresting character designs, and confusing action sequences, to name a few.

The monster designs are great, though.

I would disagree with the action sequences, otherwise yah.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Breaky posted:

I would disagree with the action sequences, otherwise yah.

Action sequences do get confusing sometimes, though. Ive often have to read then more then once to understand wtf happened.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Raws:
http://tieba.baidu.com/p/2376018520

Spoilers/Translation

http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showt...l=1#post3444091

PowFu
Dec 31, 2010
This chapter came out a bit earlier than last month, not that I'm complaining.

I want to wait for the translated chapter, so I only read the first few raw pages. But Eren trying to bite at the stumps of his arm is pretty gross :stare:.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
If the translation is accurate, they really are beating around the bush to avoid telling us what is going on.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

PowFu posted:

This chapter came out a bit earlier than last month, not that I'm complaining.

I want to wait for the translated chapter, so I only read the first few raw pages. But Eren trying to bite at the stumps of his arm is pretty gross :stare:.

It was leaked, because the magazine hasn't even hit the streets in Japan.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/shingeki-no-kyojin-r429

Quick scanlation up on batoto.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Man, if Eren could just suppress his murderous rage for 5 whole minutes he might actually learn something here. Too bad with the full force of his will it looks like he can barely suppress it for 2 minutes, max.

Is Reiner supposed to be making no sense at all in the beginning of the chapter?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 30, 2017

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Gyges posted:

Man, if Eren could just suppress his murderous rage for 5 whole minutes he might actually learn something here. Too bad with the full force of his will it looks like he can barely suppress it for 2 minutes, max.

Is Reiner supposed to be making no sense at all in the beginning of the chapter?

Yeah, I think the implication is that he cracked under all of the guilt he's been holding in until Ymir snapped him out of it.

Is Reiner implying he and Bert (and Annie) know what Christa's history is or was that more of a general "help us and we'll help her" sort of thing? Maybe they were tipped off because she hung around someone named Ymir. :haw: Either way, Ymir, please don't die.

Sled
May 20, 2004

Musashi not only wields a sword but also a pair of pistols.

Man, Reiner cracking was freaky as hell. Eren's expression when he said, "Are you loving with us?" was just so goddamn great. This chapter seemed like it was answering some questions, but at the end, I realized it just left more. I love this manga.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The "relaxing" Titan and the "shy" Titan gave me the chills. Titans with "personality" (other than the flat-out intelligent talking Titans we've seen) add a whole new level of creepiness to the already vast general creepiness of Titans. This manga is loving amazing at being horrifying in the most subtle ways.

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."
Reiner's freakout was some pretty good characterization. I was hoping for more answers, but I knew they weren't coming. Eren's reactions througout the chapter were understandable and I would've been disappointed if he acted out of character just to allow an info dump to happen, but on the other hand I really, really want that info dump. That Reiner cut off Ymir at the end was the cock blocking cherry on top. What is the island titans, Ben Yimir? I NEED TO KNOW.

JosephWongKS posted:

The "relaxing" Titan and the "shy" Titan gave me the chills. Titans with "personality" (other than the flat-out intelligent talking Titans we've seen) add a whole new level of creepiness to the already vast general creepiness of Titans. This manga is loving amazing at being horrifying in the most subtle ways.

Yeah, I'm really glad the manga still manages to be creepy even though the focus mostly shifted away from the regular titans.

Sled
May 20, 2004

Musashi not only wields a sword but also a pair of pistols.

JosephWongKS posted:

Its nice to know that titans just want to chill and hang out when they aren't eating people.

:stare:

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
How adorable of Eren to "suppress his emotions" for all of maybe thirty seconds :v: (not a spoiler because seriously, what the hell were you expecting of him). Shame on you if you think it was futile, he managed to get three words out of Bert :haw:

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jun 7, 2013

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Even screaming his fool head off was supressing his emotions. He's Eren. Anything less than hulking the gently caress out and murdering every single titan in that forest is "suppressing his emotions"

Death Cube K
Mar 20, 2008

You're pretentious, this club sucks, I have beef. Let's fight.
Anyone else a little surprised that Ymir basically hung Eren out to dry so quickly?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Holy poo poo that was a good chapter! No answers, but so much really interesting characterization! Everyone's acting in entirely sensible ways, playing off each other in logical course... Eren, Reiner, Bert and Ymir... each one has a different motive and perspective, and they all came into play in this chapter.

Bert's the best. His quiet freakout at Reiner's nonsense was great... especially as it's the same quiet freak out he's been going through this entire story, but now we finally understand it.

I loved Eren's rage... because it's so loving correct. They are loving horrific mass murderers. The only way someone wouldn't react as Eren did is if they're sociopaths or can't understand the magnitude of this pair's crimes. (Or, you know, if they're cool under pressure and pragmatic. The opposite of Eren, in other words.)

I'd speculate on what all the new information means but... I'm still kind of giddy from that intense conversation.

Death Cube K posted:

Anyone else a little surprised that Ymir basically hung Eren out to dry so quickly?
Honestly, she made the choice that gives her the most options. If she wants to use Eren later, she can always just tell him and use him later. But if she openly sides with Eren now, she won't have nearly as good a position with regards to Reiner and Bert.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jun 7, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Death Cube K posted:

It isn't surprising. She's a Human-Titan (or a Titan-Human), so her loyalties are automatically suspect. Even before the revelation that she had Titan powers, she had never interacted with anyone, or been shown to care about any person, other than Christa / Historia.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Death Cube K posted:

I always thought it was pretty clear that Ymir only cares about Ymir (and Christa, of course) and could not give less of a flying gently caress about anyone else. Eren had value as a potential ally against Bert and Ernie, but once she saw he'd be useless because he can't keep his emotions in check, she decided it was riskier to stand with him than against him.

SorcerousHam
Apr 8, 2011
Y'know, I don't think Ymir's really thought this through. Sure it's two titan-people allies to one titan-person ally, but Eren doesn't seem to be too big on the forgive and forget thing. Especially the forgive thing and never the forget thing. She's trading short term knowledge/assistance for "long" term being a titan-person on Eren's murderlist.

Edit: Also is anyone else getting the feeling that taking Eren to the home village of titan-people by the duo that massacred his home town is the worst possible decision that Bert and Reiner could be making? That's only going to end in tears. Most likely Bert and Reiner's as Eren kills (or at least tries to) everyone they know and love.

SorcerousHam fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jun 7, 2013

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

SorcerousHam posted:

Edit: Also is anyone else getting the feeling that taking Eren to the home village of titan-people by the duo that massacred his home town is the worst possible decision that Bert and Reiner could be making? That's only going to end in tears. Most likely Bert and Reiner's as Eren kills (or at least tries to) everyone they know and love.

I hope it comes to that.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

gently caress I love the creepy reactions and behavior of the Titans on the ground.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
I love how completely cracked Reiner is now. "On the bright's side, the wall is still in one piece", hey rear end in a top hat, you and Bert are the only Titans so far that's capable of breaking through a wall, of course the wall's intact. I also still find it hilarious that at the most iconic Titan, the 50 metres Colossal Titan, of the series is a douchey teenager. Can't wait for the anime's thread reaction

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Death Cube K posted:

I'm not sure she has yet. With Reiner clearly being a little nuts right now and Eren just a hair shy of completely unhinged maniac, the only smart path is to tread water right now. After all Bertholt is still a remorseless monster and they're surrounded by Titans.

Add in the fact that Reiner and Bertholt seem to actually have some information she wants, i.e. who Sasquatch Titan is, and are threatening Christa and it's really a no brainer. You play along with the two super villains and hope that some better options open up. At least stall until night/the probable rescue squad shows up.

After all, Reiner and Bertholt have some Semi sized holes in their brilliant plan here. Mikasa isn't confirmed dead, they've kidnapped her brother the Punisher-Hulk along with you, and they reveled that they were the A-1++ enemies of mankind right as they took you guys.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Latest issue: Reiner cracking was fantastic.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Exciting new issue! Nothing happened, see you next month!

But seriously, am I the only one who didn't like this months installment? way too much vague, blue bally nonsense. Last issue I was left with this feeling that we were finally gonna get some answers, two characters who know things and aren't held by some religious vows into silence are just sitting there. But no answers see you next month kids! It's like watching LOST

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 30, 2017

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

SorcerousHam posted:

Absolutely, but then it's clear that Bert and Reiner aren't exactly the most stable, rational people in the world. They refuse to explain anything and don't even bother trying to defuse the situation; Ymir had to do that for them. Eren has straight up sworn that he's going to murder them both in the most painful and brutal way imaginable, and there's currently no reason for him not to do that the first opportunity he gets.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

Scintilla posted:

Absolutely, but then it's clear that Bert and Reiner aren't exactly the most stable, rational people in the world. They refuse to explain anything and don't even bother trying to defuse the situation; Ymir had to do that for them. Eren has straight up sworn that he's going to murder them both in the most painful and brutal way imaginable, and there's currently no reason for him not to do that the first opportunity he gets.

I have to say I loved Eren's reactions this issue: from the "are you loving with me?" response to the "you are a couple of mass murderers" take down to the "oh I get it now, I am going to kill you in the worst way possible". The guy has no control over his rage and I love him for it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

They're not going to reveal anything to Eren before they're completely safe. If he manages to escape, then he can use what he's learned against them.

It's frustrating, but makes sense.

Also Eren and Reiner are mostly crazy shouting at each other, which isn't very conductive to info dumps. Really Ymir is the only one actually trying to facilitate an info dump. Bertholt is Silent Bobing it up, Eren is shouting murder fantasies, and Reiner is slipping back and forth between crazy and reason like Two Face.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
While I agree that this chapter was super blue-bally about info, I also think it had some pretty awesome interaction between the characters. From Eren absolutely, positively, under no circumstances relating to these two incredible monsters, to Ymir being all calculating and poo poo to try and work things out, to half-assed, panicked negotiations from Ernie, to Bert doing the Bert thing, from a "this situation is CRAZY hosed MAN", it went really well. However, if we don't get at least SOME answers next chapter, I'm going to have my doubts they can catch up to where the story has ramped up.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Eiba posted:

Honestly, she made the choice that gives her the most options. If she wants to use Eren later, she can always just tell him and use him later. But if she openly sides with Eren now, she won't have nearly as good a position with regards to Reiner and Bert.

If she thinks that Eren is going to listen to her ever again, she knows nothing about him. She just allied herself with the two entities he hates most in the world. Whether she's trying to play both sides or just play along until they can escape, he is pretty clearly not the type of person who's able to think about these kinds of things rationally. It would take someone like Armin/Mikasa to talk him down or he'd need a long period of downtime to think about things. Neither of those situations are likely to happen any time soon.

I expect that part of the reason he was suppressing himself was because he knew that transforming on that branch with her right next to him could kill her. But now, as far as he's concerned, he's surrounded by enemies. Eren has a default reaction to that sort of thing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Well, this chapter confirmed what I was saying earlier with regard to Reiner and Bertholdt's comment about how Reiner used to be a warrior instead of a soldier.

One new thing I learned from this chapter is that the sasquatch titan is what prompted Reiner/Bertholdt's sudden claim that they could return home and subsequent kidnapping of Eren/Ymir. I thought that it might have had something to do with it, but I didn't realize that it was apparently on the same side of Bertholdt/Reiner (which also seems to discredit the big theory that there's some third titan faction aside from Reiner/Bertholdt/Annie's faction). Also, the stuff about being promoted directly implies that there is some sort of greater organization (because I remember some people speculating that maybe Reiner/Bert/Annie were acting more or less independently, what with being children during the initial breaking of Wall Maria). This also seems to confirm that there's some significance to the human-titans being around the same age; if there's an actual military organization of sorts involved - which there seems to be - there must be a reason why they had to use kids to break the wall.

I'm a little concerned that the next chapter will shift the focus back to Armin/Mikasa/the scouting legion, and that we won't get more info out of Reiner/Bertholdt/Ymir as a result.

I'm still leaning towards there being a legitimate reason for Reiner/Bertholdt's attack. Or at least one that is morally ambiguous and doesn't make them objectively Bad Guys.

On another note, I wonder why that one big titan wasn't attacking them? It was daytime and it seemed to be at the same height as them.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 7, 2013

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
This chapter was totally Blue Ball Z but if this means we're gonna see more of Sasquatch soon, it can only be a good thing. :woop:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ytlaya posted:

One new thing I learned from this chapter is that the sasquatch titan is what prompted Reiner/Bertholdt's sudden claim that they could return home and subsequent kidnapping of Eren/Ymir. I thought that it might have had something to do with it, but I didn't realize that it was apparently on the same side of Bertholdt/Reiner (which also seems to discredit the big theory that there's some third titan faction aside from Reiner/Bertholdt/Annie's faction). Also, the stuff about being promoted directly implies that there is some sort of greater organization (because I remember some people speculating that maybe Reiner/Bert/Annie were acting more or less independently, what with being children during the initial breaking of Wall Maria). This also seems to confirm that there's some significance to the human-titans being around the same age; if there's an actual military organization of sorts involved - which there seems to be - there must be a reason why they had to use kids to break the wall.

No, the promotion talk was Reiner's crazy leaking out all over the place. He was talking about getting a promotion because they saved the wall and were super good at getting away. There may or may not be a military style organization, though it's somewhat unlikely with Bertoldt insisting on warriors over soldiers, but this chapter didn't really speak to that.

This has got to be one of the most frustrating conversations ever for Ymir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."
I'm starting to think that the Titan Trio destroyed the wall to force mankind into action against the Sasquatch faction who are the real threat, in a 'cruel to be kind' way.