Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

the littlest prince posted:

Just finished shotgunning this thread over the past couple days, it's awesome. It inspired me to make Coq au Vin for the first time (turned out well but next time I'm probably going to skip the peppers and other less hardy vegetables since they fell apart, and also use less than 1.5 bulbs of garlic) and I now also have a bunch of bookmarks for things I'm going to make next.

Question: I tried to make stock for the first time with a turkey carcass a while ago but at room temperature the stuff seems like it's almost all fat. I had frozen it first but it was really hard to cut up so I let it thaw so I could refreeze in smaller chunks, and discovered this slightly disgusting fact. I'm not afraid of fat but it was unexpected. Is that how it's supposed to work? I used a slow cooker and left it in there for a few days because it looked like the bones still had color left, and someone somewhere on these forums said you can basically let it keep going forever. But I don't think it turned out right.

You also might be confusing "fat" with "gelatin." There's not THAT much fat on a turkey--how much stock did you end up with? (At least a quart or two, right?) If it looks cloudy, that's gelatin. If it looks more opaque, that's grease. Throw one of the chunks in a pan and melt it and see how it feels on your finger; don't just pitch it outright without testing it. Cloudy with gelatin means delicious.

Edit: I'm full of crap and didn't read "at room temperature." Still, could be the grease is on top and the rest is fine? Or it over-reduced? The slow cooker going for a few days thing kind of scares me.

Nicol Bolas fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Saint Darwin posted:

Yeh, you're supposed to let it cool and skim it

This. If you have freezer space you can also just scrape the fat off of the top. I end up parting out stock into a few containers then just knocking any fat off the next day and toss it back into the freezer.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
If this is the first time you've made stock, it can be a surprise to fund that all of the (collagen? Gelatin? Whatever) cooks out of the bones and makes the stock a wobbly jello consistency. This is good and right! When you go to use it, it will melt again and give your dish a lovely velvety mouth feel.

Any fat that is in it will rise to the top and solidify as an opaque layer, but I can assure you that it's not ALL fat. :)

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Nicol Bolas posted:

You also might be confusing "fat" with "gelatin." There's not THAT much fat on a turkey--how much stock did you end up with? (At least a quart or two, right?) If it looks cloudy, that's gelatin. If it looks more opaque, that's grease. Throw one of the chunks in a pan and melt it and see how it feels on your finger; don't just pitch it outright without testing it. Cloudy with gelatin means delicious.

Edit: I'm full of crap and didn't read "at room temperature." Still, could be the grease is on top and the rest is fine? Or it over-reduced? The slow cooker going for a few days thing kind of scares me.

This makes sense. It probably is gelatin considering how much of it there is. I did scrape some off the top hoping to find liquid underneath, but I think what I found was at least a little less viscous and not opaque, so it's probably OK.

Thank you everyone.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Does anyone have recommendations for a mashed potato recipe without butter/cream? I've been making shepherd's pie off and on for a bit and the potatoes always come out a little odd. I've tried olive oil and garlic olive oil but both impart too much flavor by the time I get the creamy consistency I want.

Also, shepherd's pie is a great cheap recipe. 1.5lb of potatoes and 1.5lb of either ground lamb or beef, some onion/garlic and a bag of frozen mixed vegetables plus spices and you're good to go. Cheap, easy, filling and freezes well. I've been using Alton Brown's recipe here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/shepherds-pie-recipe2/index.html - it needs more salt and pepper than they call for but oh man is it good. You can shorten the prep time on the potatoes drastically if you have a pressure cooker, 20 minutes at full pressure and they're perfect.

o muerte fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 13, 2013

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

o muerte posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for a mashed potato recipe without butter/cream? I've been making shepherd's pie off and on for a bit and the potatoes always come out a little odd. I've tried olive oil and garlic olive oil but both impart too much flavor by the time I get the creamy consistency I want.

Also, shepherd's pie is a great cheap recipe. 1.5lb of potatoes and 1.5lb of either ground lamb or beef, some onion/garlic and a bag of frozen mixed vegetables plus spices and you're good to go. Cheap, easy, filling and freezes well. I've been using Alton Brown's recipe here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/shepherds-pie-recipe2/index.html - it needs more salt and pepper than they call for but oh man is it good. You can shorten the prep time on the potatoes drastically if you have a pressure cooker, 20 minutes at full pressure and they're perfect.

Try adding in coconut milk :catdrugs:

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

toe shoes posted:

Try adding in coconut milk :catdrugs:

Ooh, that's a great idea! I use olive oil as my butter replacement in so many things I didn't even think of other sources for fat. I guess I should get some ice cube trays so I can divide a can of the stuff into smaller quantities. Thanks!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

o muerte posted:

Bacon fat or duck fat would work too. Are you just avoiding dairy?

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Bacon fat or duck fat would work too. Are you just avoiding dairy?

Yeah, I'm lactose intolerant but not vegetarian.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I've been using braised sweet potatoes on my shepherd's pies, the recipe I use takes butter and cream but because of their natural sweetness I bet you could get away with just braising them in water and they'd still be plenty rich as a topping. I suppose the consistency you're after might not be there.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

o muerte posted:

Ooh, that's a great idea! I use olive oil as my butter replacement in so many things I didn't even think of other sources for fat. I guess I should get some ice cube trays so I can divide a can of the stuff into smaller quantities. Thanks!

2 cups is adequate for 5 lbs of boiled potatoes.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
So uh, I just today noticed that next to the bar beer store near me (the one I really don't go to even though it's the closest) there's an Indian market. Which is really weird because this is basically the Hispanic part of town and everything else next to it is in Spanish.

Still, the prices of the spices made me :aaa:, so I bought a bunch I was having trouble finding, including fenugreek and cardamom. They had huuuuge bags of basmati but I settled for a smaller one until I can get an airtight container.

So uh, just saying, this isn't a place with a website or a place in an appropriate neighborhood, but everyone concerned with saving money should take really good looks at small strip malls in your neighborhood. You may be surprised.

Otm Shank
Mar 5, 2005
Mir raucht den Kopf!!!

o muerte posted:

Yeah, I'm lactose intolerant but not vegetarian.

Most people with lactose intolerance can handle ghee, no problem.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Saint Darwin posted:

So uh, just saying, this isn't a place with a website or a place in an appropriate neighborhood, but everyone concerned with saving money should take really good looks at small strip malls in your neighborhood. You may be surprised.

This. Ever since I started going out for jogs, I'd take a different route, and it's utterly amazing what you can find outside your normal travel areas. A hispanic market just a few blocks from me sells fresh chiles, 20 limes for a dollar and 10 ears of corn for 2 dollars.

Dirtbag Diva
May 27, 2005
Just wanted to nth the advice of making shepard's pie for a price point meal. I was able to snag a ten pound leg of lamb for $15 the other day (down from $75) and I cut it up into half pound portions, froze it and used the first portion to make a cheap pie with some mushrooms I got from the quick-sale section in the produce department and sweet potatoes I got from a church function (volunteers go back over a field that's been tilled and donate all the sweet potatoes they find and take some home for your work). Actually, if you live in an area where sweet potatoes are plentiful, look into those events. They're usually run by churches and community centers and can be a really engaging way to give to charity while getting your hands dirty.

The quick-sale area of the grocery store has become my new best friend. I got five pounds of apples for a dollar the other day and turned half of it into apple butter for my friend's bridal shower and the other half into an apple cider I used to brine a turkey breast. Delicious.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So my girlfriend decided to make a tomato sauce yesterday. It's pretty good so far, but there's one small problem. I'm not used to spicy tomato sauces. I like slightly sweeter, heartier tomato sauces. My girlfriend added red pepper flakes, garlic, and rosemary to the sauce. Last night, while it was simmering, the whole house smelled like I could sprout heartburn at any moment. Tasting the sauce today, after the flavors have melded a bit reveals that it still tastes like a kick in the tongue.

So my question is, is there any way to reduce the spicy, acidic, heartburn-inducing-ness in a sauce? We've added sugar and salt, which helped a bit, but not much. I'm thinking maybe some parmesan cheese would help a bit? I dunno.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Sugar in tomato sauce makes me extremely sad.

That being said obviously the spice problem is the red pepper flakes. Try a simple sauce that's just tomatoes, garlic (and I mean real garlic not garlic powder), and basil. If it's still too much you might have actual acid reflux and the acidity of the tomatoes is setting it off.

If canned sauce isn't causing the heartburn it might be something with less processed tomatoes? From what I understand of AR from people I know who have it, what sets it off can be oddly specific.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

Sugar in tomato sauce makes me extremely sad.

That being said obviously the spice problem is the red pepper flakes. Try a simple sauce that's just tomatoes, garlic (and I mean real garlic not garlic powder), and basil. If it's still too much you might have actual acid reflux and the acidity of the tomatoes is setting it off.

If canned sauce isn't causing the heartburn it might be something with less processed tomatoes? From what I understand of AR from people I know who have it, what sets it off can be oddly specific.

A little sugar (I'm talking like a couple pinches) always helps cut some of the acidity of the tomatoes a bit for my sauces.

That said neogeo, the sauce is pretty much stuck at being spicy. You could try mixing in additional sauce (that has no spice) to try to cut it.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

EDIT: ^^^I can try that, yeah. The sauce lacks substance. There's no "chunkiness" to it. I was gonna add in some diced tomatoes and other vegetables to do that, so maybe that'll help.

Maybe I worded that post weird. I haven't actually gotten heartburn yet, but the way the sauce smells and tastes gives me the feeling of having it. That sort of acidic kick in the back of your throat, you know? I want to try and reduce that a bit if possible, or mask it somewhat if it's not possible.

The sugar was her idea, by the way. She adds it to practically every tomato sauce, even the jarred varieties. I don't know why.

EDIT2:vvv I'm very aware. I tell her to add it to her bowl and leave the pot alone. :sigh:

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jun 7, 2013

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

A lot of jarred sauce already has sugar. :sigh:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

You can use a sweet fruit or vegetable too. Lots of people grate a carrot into their tomato sauce.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

You can use a sweet fruit or vegetable too. Lots of people grate a carrot into their tomato sauce.

I was actually going to dice up a carrot or two to add to the sauce. Would it be better to grate it in, or would it not matter that much?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

It's mainly a texture thing. Diced up carrot will still be noticeable as small pieces. You won't be able to feel any grated carrot on the other hand.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
If the problem is that you added too much red pepper flake (which is very easy to do) you're boned. If your sauce is too acidic, though, you could add a bit of baking soda to neutralize the acid of the tomato. Try a sprinkle on a small portion, stir it in, wait for the soda to stop reacting (give it at least a few minutes), and give it a taste then. That also can give the perception of sweetness without actually adding a fuckton of sugar.

Arkham Angel
Jan 31, 2012

Growing up in a very Italian area and marrying an Italian, this just feels incredibly wrong to me. If you want to add a sweeter veggie, zucchini would be more appropriate.

Do you know exactly what your girlfriend but in? It seems you're stuck with an arrabiata (angry-style) sauce, but you might be able to dilute out some of the spicy by adding more volume.I would add more tomato (keep it chunky!) and some sauteed onions. Maybe some sweet basil as well. Also, I find that if a sauce is too spicy for me topping it with parmesean, rather than adding it into the sauce during cooking, helps cut the spice a bit.

Generally when we make sauce at home, it's tomato, onion, garlic, basil and/or oregano for a basic sauce.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
I though that carrot, along with celery was one one of the staples of a traditional bolognese sauce.

Arkham Angel
Jan 31, 2012

Mulefisk posted:

I though that carrot, along with celery was one one of the staples of a traditional bolognese sauce.

I've never seen it prepared that way. My husband's family doesn't use tomato or celery in any of their sauces. Could be a regional thing, though.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Arkham Angel posted:

Could be a regional thing, though.

You Don't Say.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I ended up adding in a can of diced tomatoes, a couple diced carrots, half a diced green pepper, and meatballs made from Alton Brown's meatloaf recipe(If you've never tried it before, do it. They taste so friggin good when simmered with any sauce for a bit). I cut the garlic and Cayenne from them though, since the sauce already had plenty of spice.

30 minutes later, it was like a whole different sauce. It somehow manages to be simultaneously sweet and spicy, which is something I've never personally experienced in a tomato sauce before. The recipe still needs tweaking, but this first attempt turned out far better than I thought it would.

Bockscar
Jun 17, 2007

Picked a up couple of salmon heads for under $2/lb a couple of weeks ago on a whim, but now they stare accusingly at me whenever I open the freezer. Any suggestions? Is salmon too fatty for a general fish stock?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Ganna Grenade posted:

Picked a up couple of salmon heads for under $2/lb a couple of weeks ago on a whim, but now they stare accusingly at me whenever I open the freezer. Any suggestions? Is salmon too fatty for a general fish stock?

Indians frequently use salmon in Curry. Strip off the flesh and currify.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

neogeo0823 posted:

I ended up adding in a can of diced tomatoes, a couple diced carrots, half a diced green pepper, and meatballs made from Alton Brown's meatloaf recipe(If you've never tried it before, do it. They taste so friggin good when simmered with any sauce for a bit). I cut the garlic and Cayenne from them though, since the sauce already had plenty of spice.

30 minutes later, it was like a whole different sauce. It somehow manages to be simultaneously sweet and spicy, which is something I've never personally experienced in a tomato sauce before. The recipe still needs tweaking, but this first attempt turned out far better than I thought it would.

Yeah, carrots are cheap and add body. They also add flavour and sweetness, there's a reason why they are in a mirepoix.
I normally chuck them into a base of a soffritto, sofrito, holy trinity, curry and anything else too.
I don't understand anyone putting sugar in a sauce when they could add carrots. Could just be me though, I always have carrots in the fridge as they are one of the cheapest vegetables.

Mulefisk posted:

I thought it was onions, garlic and celery, or onions, garlic and herbs (parsley or basil- not sure which)

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 10, 2013

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Fo3 posted:

Yeah, carrots are cheap and add body. They also add flavour and sweetness, there's a reason why they are in a mirepoix.
I normally chuck them into a base of a soffritto, sofrito, holy trinity, curry and anything else too.
I don't understand anyone putting sugar in a sauce when they could add carrots. Could just be me though, I always have carrots in the fridge as they are one of the cheapest vegetables.

I thought it was onions, garlic and celery, or onions, garlic and herbs (parsley or basil- not sure which)

A traditional bolognese is finely diced onion, carrot and celery to form the flavour base, and then typically beef and pork mince, along with broth, and maybe tomato. Most other ingredients would start chilli style sperg wars.

Personally, I'm very fond of a slight adaptation of this Jamie Oliver recipe:

http://www.jamieshomecookingskills.com.au/recipe.php?title=bolognese-sauce-with-pasta

I use 50/50 beef/pork mince, and I typically use beef broth rather than water and I add twice as much cheese.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I can highly recommend this post/recipe for Chao Ga.

If you do any asian cooking normally, you'll probably have most of the makings lying around. The recipe given in that post calls for a whole chicken, but I usually make it with just 2 chicken legs (cheap) and simmer the stock for 2-3 hours instead of just one.

It really is very very tasty and cheap.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

The Lord Bude posted:

A traditional bolognese is finely diced onion, carrot and celery to form the flavour base, and then typically beef and pork mince, along with broth, and maybe tomato. Most other ingredients would start chilli style sperg wars.

Personally, I'm very fond of a slight adaptation of this Jamie Oliver recipe:

http://www.jamieshomecookingskills.com.au/recipe.php?title=bolognese-sauce-with-pasta

I use 50/50 beef/pork mince, and I typically use beef broth rather than water and I add twice as much cheese.

This has been my go to

http://foodnouveau.com/2010/09/destinations/europe/italy/how-to-make-an-authentic-bolognese-sauce/

I've tried with cream instead of milk. I don't particularly have a preference for either. Definitely beef broth, preferably homemade both for taste and cost. Watch the salt. The pancetta adds plenty of flavor

added bonus, you can do this after!

http://foodnouveau.com/2012/03/destinations/europe/italy/how-to-make-arancine-con-ragu-fried-rice-balls-stuffed-with-meat-sauce/

THE MACHO MAN fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 11, 2013

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

THE MACHO MAN posted:

This has been my go to

http://foodnouveau.com/2010/09/destinations/europe/italy/how-to-make-an-authentic-bolognese-sauce/

I've tried with cream instead of milk. I don't particularly have a preference for either. Definitely beef broth, preferably homemade both for taste and cost

Even milk can be controversial really... I personally don't think it adds much. I add 100g or so of grated parmigiano reggiano to the sauce at the end instead...makes it oranger, gives more flavour.

I do add oregano and basil, it upsets people who insist on sperg level authenticity but it isn't too ridiculous and it tastes good.

I do want to try pancetta instead of bacon, and the wine.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

The Lord Bude posted:

Even milk can be controversial really... I personally don't think it adds much. I add 100g or so of grated parmigiano reggiano to the sauce at the end instead...makes it oranger, gives more flavour.

I do add oregano and basil, it upsets people who insist on sperg level authenticity but it isn't too ridiculous and it tastes good.

I do want to try pancetta instead of bacon, and the wine.

I usually throw basil on when it is plated. Definitely try pancetta though! So much better (but bacon is probably much cheaper I'd wager). I might give your parm suggestion a try the next time I make it

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I chop the basil stalks and add them early on. The basil leaves on the other hand, I tear and stir through at the end once I've turned the stove off, but before serving.

I like to serve it with Tagliatelle.

It's also worth saying that proper Parmigianino Reggianno (hint: it must come from Italy to qualify) adds the best flavor by a long shot, but I realize that it costs $60 per kg, and that this is the cheap food thread, so maybe save it for a special occasion and use parmesan the rest of the time.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

Parmigianino Reggianno
when Parmigiano Reggiano just isn't good enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

mystes posted:

when Parmigiano Reggiano just isn't good enough

Winows phone was incapable of Auto correcting it. I had to guess.

Besides, this is Goons with Chickencheese. Not Goons in Spelling bees.

Sorry if you got confused.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 12, 2013