Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Would probably be fairly easy to reclaim a large amount of homogeneous type of plastic if they go down the recycling route. Not saying they do, but if the costs work out in favour of doing it someone would go that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TPU, at least, can be remelted and reused. I'd be legitimately surprised if a company would rather buy all new plastic rather than just regrind the cases.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
But even if you get the shape right, what are the chances that it actually fits? Like if it's off by 1mm it will either not fit or fall off. I literally have no idea how this works in any scenario.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

dexter6 posted:

But even if you get the shape right, what are the chances that it actually fits? Like if it's off by 1mm it will either not fit or fall off. I literally have no idea how this works in any scenario.
I had a cheap tpu ipod touch 4th gen case that I bought around launch date online and the manufacturer definitely didn't take the smaller volume and power buttons into account, so I had to slice away the material to reliably push them.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

dexter6 posted:

People will buy it anyway (see post above). The margins on Apple accessories are good enough that they probably don't have to sell that many of them.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009
Does anyone else get the keyboard going over where you're trying to type. Covering the area? I'm trying to edit the bottom half of a document in pages and I can't see what it looks like as I'm typing. This is also happening on some websites. It's an iPad mini with the latest OS.

Tried restarting, closing the app etc. same problem..

Edit: found a fix. Split the keyboard and pinch it back into place. Voila! Text bumps back up.

Kolta fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 8, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Kolta posted:

Does anyone else get the keyboard going over where you're trying to type. Covering the area? I'm trying to edit the bottom half of a document in pages and I can't see what it looks like as I'm typing. This is also happening on some websites. It's an iPad mini with the latest OS.

Tried restarting, closing the app etc. same problem..

Edit: found a fix. Split the keyboard and pinch it back into place. Voila! Text bumps back up.

Or hold down the "keyboard down" button and you can undock the keyboard without splitting it.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009
Huh, didn't even know you could do that. Thanks.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

WWDC thread is up and will be opened in the morning, if you want to bookmark it now.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
What a crock of poo poo that they're already cutting features out for the 3rd gen iPad. I understand 2 generations old iPhones, as those are 2 years old and are on the "Hey maybe you rubes should upgrade" train. But the 3rd gen iPad? That's a little over a loving year old. The 4th gen is essentially an iPad 3.5. Airdrop going to be on the Mini & the 5th gen Touch, both of which are less powerful than the 3rd gen iPad.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Nut Bunnies posted:

What a crock of poo poo that they're already cutting features out for the 3rd gen iPad. I understand 2 generations old iPhones, as those are 2 years old and are on the "Hey maybe you rubes should upgrade" train. But the 3rd gen iPad? That's a little over a loving year old. The 4th gen is essentially an iPad 3.5. Airdrop going to be on the Mini & the 5th gen Touch, both of which are less powerful than the 3rd gen iPad.
It has nothing to do with power. The 3rd gen iPad doesn't have the new network chipset to support AirDrop.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jun 11, 2013

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It has nothing to do with power. The 3rd gen iPad doesn't have the new network chipset to support AirDrop.

Absolutely correct. The newer broadcom chipset allows airdrop to create and connect to an adhoc network connection between devices for airdrop. Jailbreakers will likely enable it so that you can airdrop when you're on the same wifi as friends, but the Apple version requires a direct wifi connect to the device.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Honestly the 3rd gen is kind of a blunder to fill the gap between the 2nd gen and a Retina iPad (that would later be the 4th gen.) It's just not a great iPad, like how the 4th gen iPod is a blunder.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Protocol7 posted:

Honestly the 3rd gen is kind of a blunder to fill the gap between the 2nd gen and a Retina iPad (that would later be the 4th gen.) It's just not a great iPad, like how the 4th gen iPod is a blunder.
The 3rd gen is retina, though. What are you saying? Mine works great.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Endless Mike posted:

I know. It's just nowhere near as good as the new iPad.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

Basically they quadrupled the pixels being drawn but only doubled up on GPU power (and without a die shrink it ended up with a massive SoC as a result), and otherwise only doubled up on RAM while leaving the CPU the same.

It's not bad by any means, it was just a stopgap.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

japtor posted:

Basically they quadrupled the pixels being drawn but only doubled up on GPU power (and without a die shrink it ended up with a massive SoC as a result), and otherwise only doubled up on RAM while leaving the CPU the same.

It's not bad by any means, it was just a stopgap.

Yeah, this is what I was referring to.

It's certainly not horrible but it's noticeably slower compared to the new iPad, especially in scrolling scenarios.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

So the iPad 3 was a blunder because the iPad 4 runs faster than it? Does this mean the iPad 4 will turn into a blunder when the inevitably faster iPad 5 comes out? The iPad 3 runs almost identically to the iPad 2 and looks way better.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Protocol7 posted:

Yeah, this is what I was referring to.

It's certainly not horrible but it's noticeably slower compared to the new iPad, especially in scrolling scenarios.

I think it's a good thing that I don't know anyone with the new iPad and haven't had a chance to play with one. I promised myself I would keep my 3rd until whatever comes out after the new iPad. I started to feel like I was upgrading just for the sake of upgrading with my iPad, since this is the first upgrade I have skipped since the I got my original. Right now, as long as this one plays KOTOR, displays my Kindle Books and comics, and lets me surf the web I am still very happy with it.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Endless Mike posted:

So the iPad 3 was a blunder because the iPad 4 runs faster than it? Does this mean the iPad 4 will turn into a blunder when the inevitably faster iPad 5 comes out? The iPad 3 runs almost identically to the iPad 2 and looks way better.

What abut it makes it a blunder? Its still an incredibly fast device. Its probably going to be the same in performance as the iPhone 4 is to the iPhone 5. Since the 4th Gen iPad is really the iPad 3rd Gen S.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FlashBangBob posted:

What abut it makes it a blunder? Its still an incredibly fast device. Its probably going to be the same in performance as the iPhone 4 is to the iPhone 5. Since the 4th Gen iPad is really the iPad 3rd Gen S.

I don't know? That's why I am asking? I'm not the one claiming the iPad 3 is a blunder.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Who cares whether it was a "blunder"- fact of the matter is there are plenty of people using them. We've already established it won't get AirDrop because of chipset; what other features won't be there?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
So an iPad 4 is £480 and I could probably sell my iPad 3 for £350. Is the difference between the two big enough to justify the extra £130? I know that I'd really like AirDrop, but how much has it really improved outside of that? Especially since I'd probably fork out the extra money and go with the £560 64GB model instead.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Question Mark Mound posted:

So an iPad 4 is £480 and I could probably sell my iPad 3 for £350. Is the difference between the two big enough to justify the extra £130? I know that I'd really like AirDrop, but how much has it really improved outside of that? Especially since I'd probably fork out the extra money and go with the £560 64GB model instead.
Do you like your iPad 3? Do you wish it could be twice as fast? If so, is twice as fast and Airdrop worth £130 (or £210)? If so, then go for it.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
Just note that a new 10 inch iPad that looks like the iPad Mini is going to be coming out in 3 months. If you can hold off that long. The iPad 4 resell prices are going to continue to fall.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

FlashBangBob posted:

Just note that a new 10 inch iPad that looks like the iPad Mini is going to be coming out in 3 months. If you can hold off that long. The iPad 4 resell prices are going to continue to fall.
Have they actually announced one yet? I was hoping one might show up at WWDC so I could skip the 4th gen and go straight for that.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I looked around but didn't find the appropriate thread for this question so here goes.

My Ipod got stolen and I was wondering if there was a way with an ipad that's associated to the same account to lock it or something. I changed my passwords and stuff but didn't have a tracker app on it at the time.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Odddzy posted:

I looked around but didn't find the appropriate thread for this question so here goes.

My Ipod got stolen and I was wondering if there was a way with an ipad that's associated to the same account to lock it or something. I changed my passwords and stuff but didn't have a tracker app on it at the time.

You don't need to have Find my iPhone installed on the iPod only to have the service enabled in the iCloud settings. If it was enabled you should be able to head over to iCloud.com and check the find my iPhone icon. If you didn't have the service enabled you are kinda screwed, sorry.

Good luck, hope you get your device back. My niece had her's stolen a while back and since they couldn't get past the passcode lock they just decided to toss it on the ground a few times. Luckily not only did she get it back but a quick trip to the Apple Store and they replaced it for free because I got a really cool genius.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Question Mark Mound posted:

Have they actually announced one yet? I was hoping one might show up at WWDC so I could skip the 4th gen and go straight for that.

Negative, but all signs point to an early/mid fall release for the Christmas shopping season. Apple wants to have their 2013 models on the table ahead of time. This makes it pretty clear for the larger iPad in September/Oct

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Can I put an existing ebook collection on an iPad? Do I need to use special software for that and does it come with the cables required for this?

langurmonkey
Oct 29, 2011

Getting healthy by posting on the Internet

Biggest human being Ever posted:

Can I put an existing ebook collection on an iPad? Do I need to use special software for that and does it come with the cables required for this?

If your collection is on amazon kindle, then you can use their app directly on the iPad, and it downloads all your items directly to the iPad. If not then you can import epubs into apples iBooks app, probably using iTunes, but I have not tried that.
One piece of software on the PC that I find very useful is called Calibre, it allows you to convert formats and manage your collection very easily.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Sidebooks is also a pretty decent app for your own collection if iBooks doesn't cover it for some reason. I think it's mostly designed around comics/manga, but it's a pretty good general purpose reader too.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Stanza also lets you copy across your own ePub files to your iPad, though its not being actively developed anymore and tends to crash a bit.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Played with an iPad Mini this past weekend at the Apple Store. Absolutely amazed at how light it is compared to my iPad 2. Worth buying now or waiting until October for retina display?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

webmeister posted:

Stanza also lets you copy across your own ePub files to your iPad, though its not being actively developed anymore and tends to crash a bit.

Stanza got bought by Amazon then smothered with a pillow. MegaReader is currently the closest thing there is to a Stanza replacement.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

trilljester posted:

Played with an iPad Mini this past weekend at the Apple Store. Absolutely amazed at how light it is compared to my iPad 2. Worth buying now or waiting until October for retina display?

Sorta up to you. I don't particularly care about retina display or anything and it certainly handles Netflix just fine. I'm not a big gamer on it and even then it handles everything I throw at it.

It is a little outdated by today's standards but its still a solid device. Only you can decide if you're fine with whatever it has now or if you'll want to wait to get the best of the best.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

trilljester posted:

Personally the hardware is so similar I would wait. I have a 2 as well, and I just don't see. The point.

That being said, if you can sell the 2 for the price you get the Mini at, that would be worth. Probably quite possible.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Is there some sort of incompatibility between iPad 1 and iPhone 4S charger/usb cables?

My father just bought a cable for his girlfriend's 1st gen iPad, and it won't work, but works perfectly with her 4S.

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Is there some sort of incompatibility between iPad 1 and iPhone 4S charger/usb cables?

My father just bought a cable for his girlfriend's 1st gen iPad, and it won't work, but works perfectly with her 4S.
Nope, they should work perfectly. Are you connecting it to a computer or charger? If it's not an official Apple cable it may just be a bad cable that isn't playing well with the iPad wanting to draw more power or something, but that's just a wild guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Cawd Rud posted:

Nope, they should work perfectly. Are you connecting it to a computer or charger? If it's not an official Apple cable it may just be a bad cable that isn't playing well with the iPad wanting to draw more power or something, but that's just a wild guess.

Yeah, I figured that as well. I'll tell him to just get a new one/exchange it, then. Thanks!