Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
It seems Kagerou is the most popular of the new characters, judging from the amount of fanart I see of her. Though to be honest, I like her too. The mermaid chick is kind of cool too, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Well there are only three new characters so far...there's not that many choices yet.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Volt Catfish posted:

Well there are only three new characters so far...there's not that many choices yet.

Four. If you count Hopeless Masquerade and Kokoro.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Clarste posted:

Four. If you count Hopeless Masquerade and Kokoro.

Hey Clarste you know what I would appreciate? If you told us when you've finished translating a new chapter. As it is, I only check the Touhou Wiki every other week or so to see if there's something new.

Speaking of, there's a new chapter for Forbidden Scrollery.

Reimu's Cheat Technique is now canon. Also, grab the chapter from the Touhou Wiki or read it on your favorite manga reader site, I can't keep up with whatever one's in vogue this month.

So, things being spirited away to Gensokyo and outsiders coming in has been a frequent plot point in several manga chapters and games so far, but does anyone else get the impression ZUN's working towards something bigger on that front? With Yukari suggesting in Wild and Horned Hermit that she has concrete plans concerning the outside world, this chapter implying that the Scarlet Devil Mansion having a supplier on the outside, and Mamizou appearing as a frequently recurring character in Forbidden Scrollery now, I'm starting to feel there's bigger events regarding the outside world on the horizon rather than just "something showed up in Gensokyo".

edit:

Namtab posted:

Of course, please include some sort of description of the premise so we don't yell at you.

New Forbidden Scrollery - http://mangafox.me/manga/touhou_suzunaan_forbidden_scrollery/v02/c007/1.html

a cartoon duck fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jun 7, 2013

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

Hey Clarste you know what I would appreciate? If you told us when you've finished translating a new chapter. As it is, I only check the Touhou Wiki every other week or so to see if there's something new.

Of course, please include some sort of description of the premise so we don't yell at you.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

Oh. I sort of figured it would be annoying if I did that. Your input is noted.

Namtab posted:

See, people are ready to yell at me already! Uh... it's about everyone chasing down Remilia's lost pet. Hijinks ensue and Reimu ends up giving squirrels alcohol to see what happens.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Clarste posted:

Oh. I sort of figured it would be annoying if I did that. Your input is noted.

It would be appreciated purely because Comics by Release doesn't list it unless it's done by the Gaku-Touhou guys, apparently, so I never know when any of the official stuff gets translated (since I only ever check the Comics by Release list).

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Clarste posted:

Uh... it's about everyone chasing down Remilia's lost pet. Hijinks ensue and Reimu ends up giving squirrels alcohol to see what happens.

And let's not forget the most important lesson learned: that there are plants that naturally make their own alcohol. :cheers:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Hazdoc posted:

It seems Kagerou is the most popular of the new characters, judging from the amount of fanart I see of her. Though to be honest, I like her too. The mermaid chick is kind of cool too, I guess.

From what I've seen, all three of them are pretty popular. Both the mermaid and headless girl have a good bit of fanart on pixiv from what I've seen.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Other than Forbidden Scrollery, which I just finished and loved, what are some other good Touhou fan-comics to read?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Artificer posted:

Other than Forbidden Scrollery, which I just finished and loved, what are some other good Touhou fan-comics to read?

I believe Forbidden Scrollery is official!

Inaba of the Moon, Inaba of the Earth is a series of 4-panel comics revolving around Reisen and the Eientei cast. They are pretty funny.
Oriental Sacred Place and Strange and Bright Nature Deity are both about the three fairies Sunny, Luna and Star. Recommended if you like people trolling Reimu and then occasionally getting obliterated.
Wild and Horned Hermit is a weird one about Kasen hanging out with Reimu and trying to get her to stop being a terrible person. The art starts out bizarre and mellows out as it goes. Features someone standing on top of a giant eagle.
Silent Sinner in Blue is about Remilia staging an invasion of the moon. A lot of people didn't like this one so much, but it has plenty of fun moments.

I think that's all of them.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

The three fairies loving own and are the best characters in the series so yeah you should read all of those.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Those are the official/canon/whatever ones.

I'm going to second Inaba of the Inaba or whatever it's called. It's really cute.

As far as doujin stuff goes, I really like Miko Miko Suika in which Suika puts on one of Reimu's shrine maiden outfits and proceeds to do a far better job than her. After a while it just kind of becomes a slice of life at the Shrine with Suika.
Plus the battle with the Shrine(?) needs to be seen to be believed.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Seconding the Miko Miko Suika recommendation.

Also I don't understand why everyone hated Silent Sinner in Blue. Anyone want to fill me in?

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Aki Eda is kind of a janky artist and the Watatsukis sort of suck a lot.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Artificer posted:

As a general thing, anything from Bear's Walking Path, Bomber Grape, FLIPFLOPs, Strange Chameleon, Happy Flame Time, Ennui Akadako (if you like game jokes), or Saku Saku Tei will be a nice, fun read. Akatsuki Dou and STRIPE PATTERN are decent choices if you like your Touhous grim, and Yakumi Sarai's works are a decent blend between the two (though if you ask me, most of his endings are kind of flat). And if you're fine with AU, gensoukoumuten does excellent work (unless you're a diehard fan of Marisa anyways :v:).

For specific stuff, Morino Hon's Omoito, Mitter Nacht Biblioth's Autumn Night Dusk, DEMOUR402's A Better Tomorrow, Haniwa Store's Miko Miko Suika, Iyokan's Though the Wind Cries, and Wi-Z Garage's 30 are favorites of mine. And if you're fine with shipping, Personal Color's Meeting You in a Dream is a really pretty book.

Pureauthor posted:

Also I don't understand why everyone hated Silent Sinner in Blue. Anyone want to fill me in?

People didn't like seeing their favorite characters lose. Also nobody read Cage in Lunatic Runagate.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 8, 2013

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
gently caress that's a lot of poo poo to read. Thanks, guys! :)

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Artificer posted:

Everything by Karaagetarou. Check out At Chirei/Chirei De in particular.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I've always really loved Koishi the Loving Gourmet. Anything by Karaagetarou is golden, and Giselebon's works are cute too. Then there's also the Finnish 4koma everyone in this thread reads religiously.

All of the above have danbooru's usual NSFW warning.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Artificer posted:

Bomber Grape's comics are the best if you like black humor.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Artificer posted:

Anything by Gensoukoumuten AKA Fantasy Engineering Works. It's a unique take on Gensokyo, but it's really well written. He's also concerned about your health. [Danbooru Links]

And seconding Karaagetarou/Karaages Shop.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Putting my vote behind Orange Jelly's Touhou Tag Dream Tournament Just passed the 1000 strip mark, and it's interesting to watch the art improve and the story grow in scope over time as it became more popular and new characters were introduced.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Read Winter Scenery because he spent a couple years where everything sort of looked like Soul Eater while Cirno played the straight man to Hina and Nitori.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Oh poo poo, I could have sworn I had Karaage on that list. Yeah, definitely check those out.

Fighting Falken
Aug 13, 2012

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Anything by Gensoukoumuten AKA Fantasy Engineering Works. It's a unique take on Gensokyo, but it's really well written. He's also concerned about your health. [Danbooru Links]

Everything that was mentioned here is great but I want to second this especially. Everything he makes is the best, they all just work so well.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Everything by Karaagetarou. Check out At Chirei/Chirei De in particular.
It took me a long time to realize the title wasn't a kana-ized "cheery day".

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Read all of bkub's stuff.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.
I'm going to recommend Inquiry about Kazami Yuuka. It has interesting characterisation for those important characters.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dinky Duck Race posted:

Read all of bkub's stuff.

This

Dinky Duck Race posted:

Aki Eda is kind of a janky artist and the Watatsukis sort of suck a lot.

Aki Eda made Bonnouji so she will forever be A-OK in my book.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

People didn't like seeing their favorite characters lose. Also nobody read Cage in Lunatic Runagate.

Speaking of which, you should also read Cage in Lunatic Runagate. If nothing else, the Mokou chapter ("The Eternal Flame"). That's probably my favorite stand-alone Touhou story.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
While we are talking about reading material, I highly suggest reading Bohemian Archive in Japanese Red on the wiki again if you haven't recently. I went back and fixed a lot of errors (including a bunch I was responsible for) and the ZUN interview at the end is kind of neat since you find out what ZUN considers important video game design.

also please read bkub

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

A particular favorite of mine by FLIPFLOPs that I always like to call out is the "[Season] of the Residents of a Touhou Town" series, which are slightly AU slice-of-life stories that imagine Gensokyou as a big, Tokyo-like city. Unfortunately, the scanlating of "Autumn" was never completed, presumably because the translator didn't want to deal with mahjongg terminology.

gnome7 posted:

Then there's also the Finnish 4koma everyone in this thread reads religiously.

Speaking of, in case people didn't just randomly check the link like I just did (and haven't been keeping up with it on their own like I haven't been), there's been three new comics since it was last mentioned in the thread. The Koakuma one is pretty amusing.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
I forgot Setz existed because JosephWongKS stopped posting about him. :shobon:

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
I still appreciated those updates fwiw.

Also Motherfucking Byakuren.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKBpBhINg_s
aaaaaaaa

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Kemonomichi is pretty great:

Edit: Now with the full image :downs:

Drizvolta fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 9, 2013

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
That's Rodney's art for one of their big group of jokemen's compilations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like SSiB actually, despite and in fact partially because the Watatsukis are frustrating and terrible, because the entire plot is Yukari screwing them over. Even her giving up in that one fight is just her losing the battle to win the war, as a distraction for Yuyuko. It's great because, after all those chapters of them being untouchable (and outright cheating in (more than?) one case), it's revealed that they were getting played the whole time. Definitely has a lot of problems and isn't the best, but the ending is pretty great.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
1:30 onwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaCL1z5cbVA

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

but can she do through the fire and flames on expert?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Roland Jones posted:

I like SSiB actually, despite and in fact partially because the Watatsukis are frustrating and terrible, because the entire plot is Yukari screwing them over. Even her giving up in that one fight is just her losing the battle to win the war, as a distraction for Yuyuko. It's great because, after all those chapters of them being untouchable (and outright cheating in (more than?) one case), it's revealed that they were getting played the whole time. Definitely has a lot of problems and isn't the best, but the ending is pretty great.

Yeah, I honestly don't get why people are so upset about the lunarian gals being so "strong". They didn't really play by spellcard rules, and it also revealed a lot of stuff about the moon. And even with all their brilliance, the Lunarians still get pranked by Yukari and Yuyuko. They're still perfectly fallible characters who have their flaws, though they sure act like they're perfect.

Then again, that whole superiority thing might be why people don't like them. Eh.