Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

Mister Macys posted:

On 2012 models, it should be located in the bottom right or left, on the back of the unit.
It's a circular four-way button, with the fifth in the middle. Push in to turn on.

:downs:

Can't believe I didn't notice that, thanks! One less remote I need now. A lot of new devices have smart phone apps so I can use it as my universal remote. If I want to start watching something, I'll get off my rear end and turn it on since I have to put a disc in anyways, or I'll turn on the TV before I sit my rear end down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

^

When I turn on my PS3, my receiver and TV turn on automatically (works the other way too - TV On -> Receiver and PS3 if that was the last active input). There might be a setting on the TV and the PS3 that I configured, but I don't recall.

That allows me to basically never need the TV remote. I turn on the PS3 and everything is up and running in a few seconds.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That sounds like HDMI-CEC, aka Anynet, Bravia Link and tons of other names.

They added that with the Slim PS3s. It likely needs to be turned on on both ends, I don't think it would be on by default.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Astro7x posted:

I am just completely overwhelmed when doing research on TVs, but for some reason I think that I'm overthinking it. The current TV we have (a 40" Samsung Plasma) was a gift and I know nothing about the settings and features and I'm happy with it. Maybe I just need to buy something within my price range rather than what some videophile recomends.

I just saw this TV posted elsewhere as an Amazon Deal today. Thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...musicvorecom-20
663.63 - LG Electronics 42LA6200 42-Inch Cinema 3D 1080p 120Hz LED-LCD HDTV with Smart TV and Four Pairs of 3D Glasses

Yeah, ignore video snobs. Display technology in the last two years has advanced to where (almost) anything from the Big 5 companies is a safe purchase in terms of quality.
I personally recommend setting either a size or price limit, before anything else.

As for the TV, I can't speak to average prices in the States, but that'd be a solid deal in Canada, and LG's 3D had good reviews last year.
Their colour accuracy and brightness are consistently excellent, and while I don't see a review for that display specifically, 31 Amazon reviews averaging 4.5 stars is promising.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 8, 2013

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
So I'm about to buy a new Plasma for gaming... But my living room has 5 windows facing the sun. Is the reflection that bad? Should I buy an LED with high refresh rate?

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
I've never owned a Plasma but there are some people who say that they game on a plasma just fine and others say they get burn-in issues. To me it's not really worth chancing so I went with an LCD LED. Don't forget you have to "break-in" plasmas. According to some people over the AVS forum that over time plasmas also lose brightness? If that's true, that's bullshit.

When I went previewing TVs at Best Buy, almost all the plasmas were darker than the LCD/LEDs. To me this would worry me if I had five different windows having sunlight blast through to the TV. LCD/LEDs would still have the problem too but to a lesser extent, I can see the light reflecting with just one window in darker scenes or environments in my games. Also the refresh rate is irrelevant with this issue.

I think your best bet is finding and LCD/LED with a matte screen.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

^ ^ ^ - I don't go in for the "plasma break-in" theory myself. Unlike speakers or engines, there's no moving parts.

tyrelhill posted:

So I'm about to buy a new Plasma for gaming... But my living room has 5 windows facing the sun. Is the reflection that bad? Should I buy an LED with high refresh rate?

It's not so much the reflection of the light, as it is the sun washing out the screen, like it does with phones, by simply being brighter than what they're putting out.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 9, 2013

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So is it a dumb idea to spend an extra $130 to go from a 42" to 47" on the TV I'm looking at? 47" to 50" is $210, more, and that's a bit too much for me. Just wondering if the difference will even be noticable.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Astro7x posted:

So is it a dumb idea to spend an extra $130 to go from a 42" to 47" on the TV I'm looking at? 47" to 50" is $210, more, and that's a bit too much for me. Just wondering if the difference will even be noticable.

Find out how much each set costs per inch and then do the math on how much those five extra inches will cost you, and see what the value of that is. That's how I'd figure it.

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006

Mister Macys posted:

^ ^ ^ - I don't go in for the "plasma break-in" theory myself. Unlike speakers or engines, there's no moving parts.

It's not so much the reflection of the light, as it is the sun washing out the screen, like it does with phones, by simply being brighter than what they're putting out.

Yeah on really sunny days it's like a friggen solar flare in here, I'll get an LED. Thanks!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Astro7x posted:

As someone with both a 51" screen, and a working class budget, I would still recommend getting those first 5".

I tend not to find the 47-50 difference all that noticeable when I'm looking around in say, Walmart though.
I grabbed mine because it was a Hell of a great Black Friday Deal. (like, $300 less than a ST50 for basically the same level of quality great)

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 11, 2013

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

I'm guessing once you get down to 32" midline units you won't see that big of a price difference during sale seasons? I'm looking at this Vizio right now for my small apartment and it seems to be a pretty good choice.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00C5B1844/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1370942000&sr=1-3&pi=SL75

Don't really want to wait around to save 50 bucks or so but if its something like 100 I'd consider it.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Is there a 32" smart tv worth buying for our bedroom? Or should I just grab what looks good at Walmart. The only thing we would use it for would be streaming Netflix.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Ropes4u posted:

Is there a 32" smart tv worth buying for our bedroom? Or should I just grab what looks good at Walmart. The only thing we would use it for would be streaming Netflix.

Its nice not relying on a seperate box for poo poo like netflix.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So I bought a 47 Inch LG, decided to spend the extra money to get the 47 in stead of the 42. LED-LCD w/ 3D and 4 pairs of glasses, decent price. I am going to be sitting 7 feet away from the screen so I think it's good!

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronic...ywords=47LA6200

Best part is I went to Coinstar last night and got $130 in coins converted to an Amazon GC, and with the other Amazon GCs I had it only ended up costing me a little over $100!

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I'm curious what I'm missing out on by having a TV that is 5 years old now. I have a Panasonic TH-50PZ80U which is I guess just the 2008 version of what everyone gets now. Can someone summarize what upgrading would do for me? Obviously I know about the new features like 3D and Smart TV, so I'm mainly interested in picture stuff.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

KingKapalone posted:

I'm curious what I'm missing out on by having a TV that is 5 years old now. I have a Panasonic TH-50PZ80U which is I guess just the 2008 version of what everyone gets now. Can someone summarize what upgrading would do for me? Obviously I know about the new features like 3D and Smart TV, so I'm mainly interested in picture stuff.

Comparing just Panasonic plasmas:

- Black levels improved
- Peak brightness improved
- colour accuracy basically perfected in 2012's 50 series
- Image retention reduced
- Motion blur reduced
- Speakers still poo poo
- Louvered filter to diffuse reflections/sunlight
- Possibly more HDMI slots
- Play media from USB
- Smaller bezels
- 3D glasses software compatible with Samsung and Sony versions
- Phone-as-remote control apps
- Compatibility with Anynet/CEC devices (cuts down on remotes)
- Updatable firmware

I'm not sure what else. I'm just going off reviews.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 11, 2013

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Mister Macys posted:

Comparing just Panasonic plasmas:

- Black levels improved
- Peak brightness improved
- colour accuracy basically perfected in 2012's 50 series
- Image retention reduced
- Motion blur reduced
- Speakers still poo poo
- Louvered filter to diffuse reflections/sunlight
- Possibly more HDMI slots
- Play media from USB
- Smaller bezels
- 3D glasses software compatible with Samsung and Sony versions
- Phone-as-remote control apps
- Compatibility with Anynet/CEC devices (cuts down on remotes)
- Updatable firmware

I'm not sure what else. I'm just going off reviews.

How often do people replace their tv then? I spent $1600 so I don't think I will be for a while.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I don't plan on upgrading again for 3-5 years.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

KingKapalone posted:

How often do people replace their tv then? I spent $1600 so I don't think I will be for a while.

There's no hard and fast rule. If those are compelling enough reasons to upgrade, then maybe upgrade. If not, wait until there are compelling enough reasons or your TV dies on you. At the end of the day as long as you're happy with the screen size/picture, some newer TV having deeper black levels or whatever isn't some huge deal because you don't really have the frame of reference/comparison with the TV that is already sitting in your living room.

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!
I'm buying a new television for my bedroom. I gathered all of the relevant information about the room and the viewing tendencies, did my research and decided on a television. Then, I read a bunch of articles about how terrible this particular TV is when it comes to input lag. Since I'm all but buying this TV for the PS4/Xbone, I'm concerned about most of the stuff I have been reading.

The TV in question is the Samsung PN51F8500 (http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PN51F8500-51-Inch-1080p-Plasma/dp/B00BCPGOD4/). Supposedly, this has one of the best pictures of any television that satisfies my requirements. I prefer a plasma due to the superior PQ, but I don't want to buy this set and then find out that I basically can't play a fighting game because there is a 3-4 frame input delay. I'm also not excited about the proposition of paying $600 more for Samsung LED F8000 series with worse PQ in order to satisfy my gaming requirements.

I know the general advice is "buy something from the top manufacturers within your price range", but in particular, is there a recommended set out there that's 46"-55", 3D, 240 Hz+, and has low input lag for < $2000? This will probably be the last television I buy that isn't a 4K display, so I want to make sure I buy the best television I can. Thanks.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Mister Macys posted:

I don't plan on upgrading again for 3-5 years.

Did you just get a TV or do you have the same one I do?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I purchased a 2012 Samsung Smart 3D plasma (51") back in November, so I'm pretty much set to wait for OLED tech to mature and fall in price.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

KingKapalone posted:

I have a 42 inch Samsung 720p Plasma which I got for Christmas in 2003, and it's still in my living room. I see no reason to replace it.

Reality
Sep 26, 2010
I ordered a Samsung TV that said it was new (for like $500) but apparently was an Amazon Warehouse item. Amazon even sent me an email apologizing for the mistake with an offer to refund it. Everything was in sealed bags except the How To Put the Stand On sheet and the TV had a "This is how much energy this TV will use" sticker on it. I'm worried the screen will fall off or something so I'm keeping the giant box around but it looks great for the few minutes I've dicked around with it today.

Do Amazon's Warehouse TVs work fine or should I send this thing away posthaste before I get used to the screen? The last used item I bought was a GameCube game like 10 years ago so I'm wary of unnew things.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Amazon Warehouse items are not necessairly used, it could just be an open box. I got a 27" Apple LED Cinema Display for $150 off as an Amazon Warehouse items, looks like it was never even plugged in.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

- Corrected and clarified What does "__ms refresh rate!" mean? in the FAQ.
- Added "motion blur" to the Glossary.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
My LG 55LM6200 arrived today. Now that it is all set up and I've tested 3d and gaming...I'm in love. The 3d is great. And in game mode there is minimal input lag. I am guessing it is very low because firing a gun seems to be immediate.

Looking at Up in 3d was wonderful. Vibrant colors. Man. So happy I bought this thing.

BTW: it is $999 on TigerDirect thru Amazon. Or it was a week ago.

And a note...if you are a gamer, do not buy the ST60 Panasonic Plasmas. It has bad input delay. I was thisclose to buying that one until I found everything saying it averaged around 80 ms and was not good for gaming at all.

JiUC
Aug 3, 2004

X-ray reflectivity is a technique used to study crystalline structures. Making use of Bragg's law, λ=2dsin(θ), one can assess the thickness of a thin film by measuring the angle of total reflection, and compar

I was wondering if anyone could make a suggestion for a good deal to be had in Canada. I'd like about 50in. give or take, with 1080p. It doesn't have to be top of the line but I'd like it to be modern-looking (i.e. thin bezel, etc.). I don't care about 3D and I mostly want it to be good for watching sports. It would be in a room with windows along the wall, but with blinds that can be lowered. Ideally, I'd like to spend under $700. Since I realize this is a tall order, I was also wondering if anyone has experience with refurbished models/dealers. Thanks guys!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The biggest difficulty is getting a 47"+ TV for $700. $800 would be better. $900 would be ideal. As you've likely noticed prices are easily 10-20% higher than in the United States. Before sales taxes. At that price point, you generally are limited to plasmas and store/value brands. Plasmas and budget brands will have a larger bezel bordering the display, and the TV's actual thickness will be greater. Naturally, my first recommendation is a road trip to an American Walmart/Best Buy/Target/Fry's Electronics. Barring that, here's what I could find:

2001 Audio Video:
47" 120Hz LCD - $499
2012 47" LG 120Hz LED - $599.
2012 47" Panasonic 120Hz LED - $699.
Plasmas:
2012 50" LG - $499.
2012 50" Panasonic - $599.
2012 51" Samsung - $599.
Physical locations only in Ontario. Free shipping for TVs 43" and under. Price drops very rare. :pwn:

Gibby's Electronic Supermarket:
2013 51" Samsung plasma - $698. Only 2 HDMI ports.
Free shipping on select items (rotates). Not this one though. :negative:

The Source (yes, Radio Shack exists in Canada :downs: ):
2013 51" Samsung plasma - $699.
Free in-store pick-up. Otherwise you pay. :effort:

And Amazon.ca is a bigger joke than Netflix Canada, which is saying something.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jun 15, 2013

JiUC
Aug 3, 2004

X-ray reflectivity is a technique used to study crystalline structures. Making use of Bragg's law, λ=2dsin(θ), one can assess the thickness of a thin film by measuring the angle of total reflection, and compar

Mister Macys posted:

The biggest difficulty is getting a 47"+ TV for $700. $800 would be better. $900 would be ideal. As you've likely noticed prices are easily 10-20% higher than in the United States. Before sales taxes. At that price point, you generally are limited to plasmas and store/value brands. Plasmas and budget brands will have a larger bezel bordering the display, and the TV's actual thickness will be greater. Naturally, my first recommendation is a road trip to an American Walmart/Best Buy/Target/Fry's Electronics. Barring that, here's what I could find:

2001 Audio Video:
47" 120Hz LCD - $499
2012 47" LG 120Hz LED - $599.
2012 47" Panasonic 120Hz LED - $699.
Plasmas:
2012 50" LG - $499.
2012 50" Panasonic - $599.
2012 51" Samsung - $599.
Physical locations only in Ontario. Free shipping for TVs 43" and under. Price drops very rare. :pwn:

Gibby's Electronic Supermarket:
2013 51" Samsung plasma - $698. Only 2 HDMI ports.
Free shipping on select items (rotates). Not this one though. :negative:

The Source (yes, Radio Shack exists in Canada :downs: ):
2013 51" Samsung plasma - $699.
Free in-store pick-up. Otherwise you pay. :effort:

And Amazon.ca is a bigger joke than Netflix Canada, which is saying something.

Thanks a ton man, I'll check these links. That said, I'll also look into driving to Vermont soon (I'm in Montreal).

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
So if I want a good all-around 50" plasma for my home theater setup, which also has low input lag for gaming, I should try to get a Panasonic ST50 model from last year, right? I've read this year's ST60 models have a huge input lag problem.

Amazon still has the P50 ST60 for about 300 bucks cheaper than the ST60s. With my need for low input lag and good overall 50" picture quality under $1000 should I pull the trigger on the 2012 ST50? Am I missing a 2013 model non-panasonic 50" with low input lag? Because it doesn't seem like there are very many options. I'd rather buy the newest year model if I can help it, even if they aren't much better than last years, considering I don't plan on getting a new TV anytime soon after this. But in this case, considering the ST60s addition of a huge input lag to the model line, is settling on last years ST50 the best option?

Also a possibility is that maybe the ST60 models reported huge input lag is bullshit and I shouldn't believe it? Or have they fixed them with a firmware update or something? If anyone games on an ST60 I'd love to hear your thoughts, please.

Damo fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jun 16, 2013

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
I'm looking to get a new LED in the 50" range and would go as high as $900 (before tax), but ideally it'll be closer to $800. I'm not looking for Smart or 3D capabilities; just something that'll look sharp for movies and HD sports. I'd also like to be able to play movies from a USB. Any recommendations would be appreciated, but I'd really appreciate some feedback on this deal: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...archPageIndex=1

Seems like it's got everything I need (although I don't know for sure if it will play movies through USB - I know some don't), but my big question is about refresh rate. I've found conflicting information on whether it's especially important and in the OP it was mentioned that it has become largely irrelevant. Could someone please expand on that? Would I notice/regret not grabbing something at 120hz? I've been targetting deals at 120hz, but this seems like a pretty good option for $750.

If anyone has experience with this TV, or any helpful suggestions, it'd be much appreciated. I'm in Toronto if that changes anything.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Gobias Ind. posted:

I'm looking to get a new LED in the 50" range and would go as high as $900 (before tax), but ideally it'll be closer to $800. I'm not looking for Smart or 3D capabilities; just something that'll look sharp for movies and HD sports. I'd also like to be able to play movies from a USB. Any recommendations would be appreciated, but I'd really appreciate some feedback on this deal: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...archPageIndex=1

Seems like it's got everything I need (although I don't know for sure if it will play movies through USB - I know some don't), but my big question is about refresh rate. I've found conflicting information on whether it's especially important and in the OP it was mentioned that it has become largely irrelevant. Could someone please expand on that? Would I notice/regret not grabbing something at 120hz? I've been targetting deals at 120hz, but this seems like a pretty good option for $750.

If anyone has experience with this TV, or any helpful suggestions, it'd be much appreciated. I'm in Toronto if that changes anything.

The irrelevance of refresh rate is in reference to motion blur. It's no longer the main cause. However, the smoothness of the film when panning/zooming may have noticeable judder at 60Hz compared to 120/240/600Hz, all of which are divisible by 24; the normal framerate of film content. This has to do with "3:2 pulldown". Technically known as telecine judder. And like an idiot, I forgot to mention it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecine#Telecine_judder

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Hate to keep cropping up with more questions but I haven't found an answer anywhere. I haven't been able to access the picture settings "HDMI black levels" and "Film Mode" on my Samsung UN55EH6000F. They're always greyed out no matter what my settings are, anyone know what the deal is there?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Those settings are only available with an appropriate source, and can be mutually exclusive with some picture modes.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Okay, I'm using HDMI as a source and the settings I found have the picture mode I'm set to (dynamic, standard etc) and I still can't access it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Is it giving you a reason why? Like Game Mode being active? or input device being set to PC?
Also, HDMI in itself is not the source. The media source would be Blu-Ray, DVD, streaming (Netflix PS3/360 for example, which is 60p), running a file from PC/NAS via TVersity/XBMC/ etc..
In the case of Blu-Ray and DVD, it will further discriminate whether it's 24p (film) or 30/60p (television).
The UI for 2012 Samsung TVs is similar/the same across most models, so run through what you do exactly, and I'll have a good idea of how to help (if I can).

Gobias Ind. posted:

I'm looking to get a new LED in the 50" range and would go as high as $900 (before tax), but ideally it'll be closer to $800. I'm not looking for Smart or 3D capabilities; just something that'll look sharp for movies and HD sports. I'd also like to be able to play movies from a USB. Any recommendations would be appreciated. I'm in Toronto if that changes anything.

Check this sweet deal:
http://www.2001audiovideo.com/en/catalog/product/121202-Samsung-UN55EH6000
ConnectShare™ Movie lets you watch videos, play music or view photos from a USB connection without needing to use a PC or special equipment;
Last year's model, but it's 55 friggin' inches! :aaaaa:
Multiple locations in Toronto.

Personally, I'd go on a road trip to St. Catharines for this baby:
http://www.gibbyselectronicsupermarket.ca/samsung-pn51f5500-1080p-plasma-hdtv-with-wifi-pn51f5500-p-8912.html
It's last year's second best Samsung plasma, masquerading as the 2013 mid-range model, with all the bells and whistles!

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jun 17, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I believe you need to be receiving a Film Mode-able signal for that, which would be 1080p24 I think.

For HDMI Black Level, the signal needs to be RGB. That would be a PC or game console (and not always in the latter case.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
I have a larger living room the most (apparently) and the distance from my couch to the wall will be approximately 13 feet.

All the HDTV calculators say that my ideal tv size is at least 55". My wife and I think a monstrosity that size isn't a good match and were looking at the 39-46" range.

With that distance in mind, is there a reason to want a 1080p over a 740p? Is a 120hz always preferable over a 60hz? Will I truly be disappointed if I go with a Westinghouse over a Toshiba over a Samsung?

Use will be primarily for streaming Netflix, Hulu, and the occasional fifa or battlefield match on ps3.

Looked over the weekend and found:
Westinghouse - UW40T8LW - 40" LED - 1080p, 120Hz - $329
Samsung - PN43F4500 - 40" Plasma - 720p, 600Hz - $379
Toshiba - 39L1350U - 39" LED - 1080p, 120Hz - $399
Insignia - NS-42E470a13 - 42" LED - 1080p, 120Hz - $399

Would you guys recommend one of those over the other based on quality, needs, price, etc.?

Thanks.