Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Geirskogul posted:

I got a license in Arizona, and it doesn't expire until I'm 60 :psyduck: Even Idaho makes you go in every five years and do a simple (useless, I'm an optician so I know, but it's better than nothing) eye test. I thought it was a joke when people told me.

65, actually. :science:

It is hilariously obtuse though. Welcome to Arizona.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Polymerized Cum posted:

If the same quality assurance and inspection standards applied to your car as they did a commercial aircraft, they would never allow us to drive.

A entry level car would also cost $250k new.

http://www.cessna.com/single-engine/skyhawk

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Polymerized Cum posted:

If the same quality assurance and inspection standards applied to your car as they did a commercial aircraft, they would never allow us to drive.

No, they'd allow drivers, but you'd only be allowed to pull out of and into parking spaces. :v:

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

`Nemesis posted:

A entry level car would also cost $250k new.

http://www.cessna.com/single-engine/skyhawk

If they produced as many entry level aircraft as cars that price would come down dramatically (it would still be crazy expensive though).

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
I was just going to make a comment about how 50-70 hours to get a license would make for better drivers, but holy moly I have seen some dumb pilot tricks recently.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

:stare:

Tornado?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
ONE TWO THREE he's out for the count!!!

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

The spray paint on the house behind certainly seems to suggest it was a natural disaster and not a man-made one. Although really I would consider that a work of art if it was done by a person.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

That truck is a witch?

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

muike posted:

That house clearly used a foreign object. :colbert:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Hurricane Katrina

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

muike posted:

:thurman:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Maker Of Shoes posted:

65, actually. :science:

It is hilariously obtuse though. Welcome to Arizona.

Yeah, when I got my AZ license a few years back I said "this has to be a typo, right? It expires in 2015, not...2051."

"Nope! Expires when you're 65. Come back every 10 years to get your photo updated. Have a nice day!"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
That's how it works in the UK, too. It doesn't seem that unusual to me - as long as your photo is updated, why would you expire a valid licence unless there's an address change or the holder becomes unlicensed for some reason, too many points or developing a medical problem or whatever?

Hell, before photo licences, it didn't even need renewing on a regular basis if no details had changed. I think my dad once got pulled over by a copper younger than his paper licence! He was quite irritated to have to get a new one when he moved house, the old one was maturing nicely in his opinion (i.e. it would fall apart in your hands if you tried to unfold it).

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Do you even lift?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Billy Joe Bob, that aint how you tow a trailer home. Let your sister-auntie drive next time. :banjo:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Wicked Ford of the East?

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Slavvy posted:

I really want to know how this is possible. You read about it, and hear about it, and see those fluff pieces on the news where some geriatric plowed through the front of a gas station, but how does it really happen? How? You have thousands of hours of driving a car, every car is basically the same, your body is as accustomed to where the brake is as it is to wiping your rear end or turning the tap the right way to make water come out. On top of which, you have to hold down the gas for a sustained period of time AND jam it to the floor to get truly spectacular results.

I don't get it.

I know this was a couple pages ago, but there was a case I read about where a policeman (I think) crashed a van into some pedestrians and killed them, meaning just to move it down the street, and the investigation concluded that the different placement of the brake and accelerator pedals (like, an inch or so to the right or left) from his patrol car were partly to blame - apparently he you drove the van for years, then had a year of driving the car, and that was enough to remove familiarity and muscle memory with the van. I wonder how many of the old people stabbing the wron pedal just gone "One of those nice new cars, maybe a PT Cruiser! My grandchildren don't know anything about quality craftsmanship any more."

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Plinkey posted:

Do you even lift?

This isn't my blanket!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Delivery McGee posted:

Yeah, Crown Vics got a bad rap because a lot of them took a truck up the rear end at 80 per. But it was more because any car would explode from that kind of hit and 99/100 of cars parked on the side of the interstate were Crown Vics, than the Pinto II situation that the news made it out to be.

As far as I know, they never even demonstrated the rear-end problem in non-police Panthers. There's a good chance that the fires were caused by awkward equipment installs for police configurations.

Panther fuel tanks are vertical between the rear seat and the trunk, so any aftermarket gear installed on the parcel shelf or in the trunk could potentially involve screws going into the tank.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
On the unintended acceleration front - most of the cars that were 'experiencing' it were Toyotas. It's easy to just blame that on the fact that Toyota has marketed their cars specifically to the people that don't want to have know anything about cars to keep theirs on the road. I think it has a lot to do with the throttle response on their new cars though. My parents have an 08 (or something like that) Corolla, and every time I drive it for the first time in a while I start almost peeling out every time I accelerate. The first 20% of the pedal movement has to account for at least 50% of the actual power available.

My parents think the car feels 'sporty,' and it does kind of. Only pushing the pedal a little bit and having the car lunge forward is a sporty feeling. It goes away for me when I realize that the second half of the pedal travel barely adds any additional power. I'm assuming that Toyota designed it that way specifically so it would feel sporty. It honestly feels unsafe to me though; if you were accidentally hitting the gas instead of the brake, you would be effectively almost flooring the car instantly just based on the expected amount of resistance / pedal travel from the brakes.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

As far as I know, they never even demonstrated the rear-end problem in non-police Panthers. There's a good chance that the fires were caused by awkward equipment installs for police configurations.

Panther fuel tanks are vertical between the rear seat and the trunk, so any aftermarket gear installed on the parcel shelf or in the trunk could potentially involve screws going into the tank.

Yeah, if I recall, the whole issue with Panthers was the fact that LEO would bolt a bunch of poo poo into the trunk with self-tapping screws, they'd get rear-ended and the tank and trunk would get smashed together, using the screws as handy-dandy tank splitters. I think a lot of shops ended up dropping Kevlar blankets between the trunk and tank?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Opensourcepirate posted:

On the unintended acceleration front - most of the cars that were 'experiencing' it were Toyotas. It's easy to just blame that on the fact that Toyota has marketed their cars specifically to the people that don't want to have know anything about cars to keep theirs on the road. I think it has a lot to do with the throttle response on their new cars though. My parents have an 08 (or something like that) Corolla, and every time I drive it for the first time in a while I start almost peeling out every time I accelerate. The first 20% of the pedal movement has to account for at least 50% of the actual power available.

My parents think the car feels 'sporty,' and it does kind of. Only pushing the pedal a little bit and having the car lunge forward is a sporty feeling. It goes away for me when I realize that the second half of the pedal travel barely adds any additional power. I'm assuming that Toyota designed it that way specifically so it would feel sporty. It honestly feels unsafe to me though; if you were accidentally hitting the gas instead of the brake, you would be effectively almost flooring the car instantly just based on the expected amount of resistance / pedal travel from the brakes.

Almost everything for the base consumer is like this now, Toyota or not. When people unfamiliar with actually kinda-quick cars drive my GTO for the first time, their first comment is always, "It feels so slow, why doesn't this peda- OH MY GOD," because the throttle is so much more linear than is standard in new cars.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I drove someone's yaris once while they were dropping off a rental car. Nearly put the clutch through the floor because it was so light, then spun the tires as I was taking off because the throttle was so drat sensitive.

I actually get quite a few compliments on the throttle from instructors that have driven my e36 M3. It's fairly heavy, linear and easy to modulate.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I finally have fresh blood for the blood gods.

After putting a new dizzy cap on the Blazer (coincidental, i'm sure), after about 3 seconds of cranking I hear awful grinding. I reckon it would be a good idea to pull the shield thingy between engine and trans under torque converter to make sure I get the metal out, eh?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Opensourcepirate posted:

I have a friend who is a Toyota mechanic and he has had people come in with 4 or 5 floor mats stacked on top of each other. ^_^

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

If that's a 300 I bet it'll run.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

FORD TOUGH HOUSE BENCHPRESS!

If it's a 6.9L, I also bet it still runs.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Shifty Pony posted:

In fairness, they did say that they were a transmission shop and not an exhaust shop...

Wait nevermind, here's what they did to the bellhousing:

There are so many more awful tools to aid this repair that are less permanent.

this is a newer one

this is a classic

Sten Freak posted:

Crosspost from Subaru thread. I'm sure some mechanics have seen worse but this is pretty bad. 2008 Legacy.

It did it's job so I guess it's not a failure?

Cabin Air Filter?

Delivery McGee posted:

In other news: Remember, lawnmowers need oil too!

fixed

Changing oil in a lawn mower is like changing oil in a compressor is like changing oil in a 300k mile oil burning car.. just keep adding.

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm not sure if it's a mechanical failure or an electronic failure. Apparently the dual zone climate control in my parents' Citroën C5 has decided to simultaneously get stuck on max cooling on the driver's side and max heat on the passenger side, no matter what you do with the controls. Sure is interesting driving around with the driver wearing a big coat while the passenger wears a t-shirt :v:

French cars :allears:

The child in me says, "is it snowing right over the center console?"

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jun 9, 2013

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

B4Ctom1 posted:

The child in me says, "is it snowing right over the center console?"

Citroen's managed to pick up a case of Mexican Magical Realism.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Torque your lugs.

One of the scrunched lugs:

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 10, 2013

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

That happened to a friend of mine's RX7. I passed a car that had broken down in lane 3 of 5 lane Interstate and thought, "That looks like Chris's car!". Then I looked at the guy standing at the side of the road and thought, "That looks like Chris!"

Turns out he hadn't used a torque wrench, and had torqued his lug bolts unevenly. He learned that lesson. Fortunately, a cop was nice enough to grab his wheel, which wound up in the left side brakedown lane.

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

This is more a horrible failure of some sort than a terrible car thing, but it's definitely :ughh:worthy either way.

Guy's reverse lights were on while in D; we were all trundling along at about 60mph, hence the lovely quality (steering wheel tripod and shutter without looking).

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

nurrwick posted:

This is more a horrible failure of some sort than a terrible car thing, but it's definitely :ughh:worthy either way.

Guy's reverse lights were on while in D; we were all trundling along at about 60mph, hence the lovely quality (steering wheel tripod and shutter without looking).

Well obviously he is in reverse, he's just in an accelerated and reversed time stream, so he's backing up continuously. God, it's like you aren't even thinking fourth-dimensionally.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Safety Dance posted:

That happened to a friend of mine's RX7. I passed a car that had broken down in lane 3 of 5 lane Interstate and thought, "That looks like Chris's car!". Then I looked at the guy standing at the side of the road and thought, "That looks like Chris!"

Turns out he hadn't used a torque wrench, and had torqued his lug bolts unevenly. He learned that lesson. Fortunately, a cop was nice enough to grab his wheel, which wound up in the left side brakedown lane.

Who actually does that? I've never seen anyone do anything other than tighten them with a tire iron in a cross pattern.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ozmiander posted:

Who actually does that? I've never seen anyone do anything other than tighten them with a tire iron in a cross pattern.

Uses some tort of torque device on wheels? I do.

Typically it's a torque stick since I'm usually someplace with shop air.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I use a torque wrench every time I put my wheels on, and make sure to check them again after driving them. It's not really worth loving around with.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I always tighten down lug nuts in stages using a cross/star pattern and finish up with a torque wrench. I also checked them again with a torque wrench after ~25-50 miles.

The only time I won't use a torque wrench on a fastener is if I can't find a torque rating or if it's not possible to get a torque wrench onto the fastener.

I don't know if that's abnormal but it's how my dad taught me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Galler posted:

I always tighten down lug nuts in stages using a cross/star pattern and finish up with a torque wrench. I also checked them again with a torque wrench after ~25-50 miles.

The only time I won't use a torque wrench on a fastener is if I can't find a torque rating or if it's not possible to get a torque wrench onto the fastener.

I don't know if that's abnormal but it's how my dad taught me.

Pretty much this. Wheels get torqued. Period. I'll usually run them on with my impact until I get a couple clicks out of it then finish it up with the torque wrench once I get it back on the ground.