Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Skinty McEdger posted:

You might notice that Bobby's predictions and comments become more out there as the weeks go on. This was because Bischoff gave him a massive poo poo fit post the Hogan turn at Bash for correctly predicting the turn, and informed him that he should try and be less smart. Despite his predictions become more out there he still ended up being on the mark more times than not up until he just stopped caring.

Bobby wasn't aware of the Hogan turn at Bash, right? He was just trying to heel it up and inadvertently gave it away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Renaissance Spam posted:

Bobby wasn't aware of the Hogan turn at Bash, right? He was just trying to heel it up and inadvertently gave it away?

As far as I know, yes that's the case. WCW didn't clue their announcers in on the angles.

If they did, chances are Bobby wouldn't have blown the surprise like that. Although, Bobby would be the type to always nag on Hogan anyway, so I'm not sure that it necessarily ruined the surprise.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Renaissance Spam posted:

That is correct.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

triplexpac posted:

As far as I know, yes that's the case. WCW didn't clue their announcers in on the angles.

If they did, chances are Bobby wouldn't have blown the surprise like that. Although, Bobby would be the type to always nag on Hogan anyway, so I'm not sure that it necessarily ruined the surprise.

Ya it was Bobby was just being Bobby. The only person who knew the angles was Tony, and he did everything to protect that fact.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, Bobby always had bagged on faces, insisting they were only a breath from turning heel at any time. Just happens that he called it right that one time, and everyone accuses him of blowing it.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Heenan finally being right about Hogan should have been like J. Jonah Jameson catching Spiderman stealing an old lady's purse.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

triplexpac posted:

Heenan finally being right about Hogan should have been like J. Jonah Jameson catching Spiderman stealing an old lady's purse.

It's unfortunate though; if Heenan had joined in with Tony & Dusty marking out over Hogan coming to save WCW the turn would have worked so well in just cementing his usual philosophy. "For one moment I believed in Hogan, I put aside my suspicions and trusted the man, and he spat in my face."

A completely moot point as "Who's side is he on" is a fun memory, but it would have been a great promo from Bobby.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

For Bobby the Brain Heenan. For Dus, Dusty Rhodes. Gene- Gene Okerlund. I don't know. I'm Tony Schiavone.
Hulk Hogan, you can go to hell.
We're outta here.

Straight to hell.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I'll always love that call. The disgust in Tony's voice was great, kind of the opposite of JR screaming in anger at a guy, Tony is just quietly disappointed.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

VogeGandire posted:

Yeah, Bobby always had bagged on faces, insisting they were only a breath from turning heel at any time. Just happens that he called it right that one time, and everyone accuses him of blowing it.
He did. It doesn't matter how good of a reason there was, or that it wasn't Heenan's fault (it wasn't). It was blown. It would have been better if he hadn't said it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

LividLiquid posted:

He did. It doesn't matter how good of a reason there was, or that it wasn't Heenan's fault (it wasn't). It was blown. It would have been better if he hadn't said it.

That would have required him to know what was happening, and Tony would not allow that to occur.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The Hogan turn was one of the best done turns in wrestling history. I don't think it could be any better. It has such impact to it that there's just no point in criticizing how it was presented and Bischoff getting mad at Heenan just shows how Bischoff didn't "get it."

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, I'd agree, it's probably the best heel turn in history. The timing, the setup, it was all absolutely perfect.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember watching it via scramble vision at my grandparents' house.

I walked upstairs all sad-looking, and they asked what was wrong.

'Hulk Hogan's a bad guy now :('

And that was right after I had started renting old Hulkamania Coliseum Home Video compilations and getting into his character.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
My dad actually bought the PPV for my brother and I to watch. I remember being so pumped about Hogan turning heel and aligning with Hall and Nash. I was so sick of babyface Hogan by that point (especially after having to endure that Doomsday Cage Match or whatever at Uncensored).

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

More Heenan talk. I'm a huge Bobby Heenan mark and I enjoy rewatching classic WWF with his commentary. Someone tell me what his time in WCW was like? Was he mostly miserable? Did management let him be himself?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 38 days!

Hit Man posted:

More Heenan talk. I'm a huge Bobby Heenan mark and I enjoy rewatching classic WWF with his commentary. Someone tell me what his time in WCW was like? Was he mostly miserable? Did management let him be himself?

From what I gather Heenan was by and large miserable in WCW, he disliked Schiavone and most of the other behind-the-scenes guys running things, and basically stopped giving a poo poo after he figured out nobody else in the company was there to do anything beyond collecting giant paychecks. He's said that he actually intended to retire (or at least not work a full-time schedule in wrestling any more) after he left the WWF, but the money and convenience for his family (his daughter was attending college in a Southern state, I think maybe Mississippi or Alabama, and it was a lot easier to drive over and see her from Atlanta than it would have been from Minnesota or wherever Heenan was living) convinced him to give it a shot.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Yeah the saddest thing about his tenure with WCW is that he's visibly out of place. He does have some fun early on but it clearly grinds him down and he just stops giving a poo poo, which is the saddest thing. One of his best moments is him cracking up when Schiovane insists that Jim Duggan was "really smart".

On the Hogan turn. I will admit that it's one of the best moments in wrestling because it works so well. All that build up, everyone knowing who Hogan is and what he stands for, it all culminates with him putting that leg drop down on Savage. People lost their poo poo and I can't help but picture Bischoff behind the scenes loving grinning from ear to ear.

However, it's also clear how scared shitless Hogan seems when he's coming down to the ring. Sting was there backstage ready to go if Hogan wanted to pull out, and right up to the last minute he was unsure if he wanted to do it and it's all over his face.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

DrVenkman posted:

Yeah the saddest thing about his tenure with WCW is that he's visibly out of place. He does have some fun early on but it clearly grinds him down and he just stops giving a poo poo, which is the saddest thing. One of his best moments is him cracking up when Schiovane insists that Jim Duggan was "really smart".

What really makes it is that Schiovane realizes that he's not going to recover from his giggle fit and just starts prodding him on to make him laugh even harder.

COLLEGE!!! BAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Hit Man posted:

WCW and Tony screwed him after Monsoon passed away.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

DrVenkman posted:

However, it's also clear how scared shitless Hogan seems when he's coming down to the ring. Sting was there backstage ready to go if Hogan wanted to pull out, and right up to the last minute he was unsure if he wanted to do it and it's all over his face.

I never noticed this before, but he is just completely not there the entire time he's making his way out.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I'll never forget the Nitro where Psychosis and Kidman had the hair vs. mask match. When we came back from a commercial Tony was verbally bitch slapping Brain, telling him that people don't tune in to listen to them argue. Up to that point of the show Bobby was heeling it up and trying the hardest he had for years.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Scirocco Griffon posted:

What really makes it is that Schiovane realizes that he's not going to recover from his giggle fit and just starts prodding him on to make him laugh even harder.

COLLEGE!!! BAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!
Oh man it even starts with a sweet Glacier vignette!

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Thinking about career killer gimmicks, has there ever been someone who was booked to retire a guy who has never come back?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Thinking about career killer gimmicks, has there ever been someone who was booked to retire a guy who has never come back?

I've read this like 10 times and I'm still not sure what you're asking.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Undertaker?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

EugeneJ posted:

He's asking if anyone has forced a guy to retire via match stip wherein the loser actually stayed retired, and yes the answer is Taker.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
I'd be fairly surprised if we never saw Michaels wrestle again so I doubt that one will even hold.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

jeffersonlives posted:

I'd be fairly surprised if we never saw Michaels wrestle again so I doubt that one will even hold.

Really? I'd be surprised if we did.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think Shawn would do it as a favor to either Undertaker or HHH - but other than that, no.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Really? I'd be surprised if we did.

Michaels has talked about thinking about returning for occasional matches and wanting his kids to see him work at least once when they're a little older. He's never, ever going to be a regular performer again, but I'd say it's better than 50/50 that he has one match at some point in the next 10 years.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

jeffersonlives posted:

Michaels has talked about thinking about returning for occasional matches and wanting his kids to see him work at least once when they're a little older. He's never, ever going to be a regular performer again, but I'd say it's better than 50/50 that he has one match at some point in the next 10 years.

Oh I didn't know that. That's kind of sweet. :3: How old are his kids now?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Also HHH has spoken about wanting one more match with Shawn to round off both their careers, so I'm pretty sure it's less if more when.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Duane Gill retired Marc Mero.

EDIT: At least I thought he did...until I looked up Wikipedia and found that Mero actually returned to TNA as Johnny B. Badd...er, WHAT?

Shiki Dan fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 8, 2013

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

EugeneJ posted:

Ok let me clarify. I'm just wondering is anyone with this particular gimmick has actually retired another wrestler be it from injury or booking.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Taker also permanently retired Muhammad Hassan.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
José Huertas Gonzales permanently retired Bruiser Brody.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

pathetic little tramp posted:

:drat:

...:smith:

I'm too bummed out to be angry.

texas chili bowl
Apr 13, 2008

Ankles and beards are serious business

pathetic little tramp posted:

:golfclap:

Impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Sheamus murdered Jamie Noble.