Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010

LightningKnight posted:

This just begs the question, though-- if they really wanted to kill off all the humans, why not just do it in one go? It's not like they lacked the capability. The Colossal and Armored Titans seem to be the toughest bastards around. So why did they stop destroying stuff when they did after their initial attack? Why just disappear off the face of the earth, rather than start smashing buildings, stepping on puny humans, and striding to the next wall to kick that one down too right off the bat? That's what gets me. Why the wait?

I think the more interesting question is why kidnapping Eren means they can end their onslaught. Which comes back to the other question of why they attacked in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

The Devil Tesla posted:

Is this show any good?
If you expect a comedy instead of the standard RPG fantasy-type story the premise suggests, sure. Just be ready for a lot of juvenile humor and no end of ball jokes.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

Affi posted:

There is a fourth wall, manned by human titans like Bert and Reiner, holding back the countless hordes of Titans. The only titans the Wall Humans ever see are the dregs that get through the first line of defense. Bert and Reiner believed that if the human settlement is allowed to fall then their people no longer have to sacrifice their lives to defend it.

I doubt this will happen, but I really like this idea.

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."

Hodgepodge posted:

They might run out of energy, though.

I agree, Berthold's titan form most likely isn't that useful for long distance travel. Even with the reduced weight, at that size his titan regeneration is probably the only thing holding him together.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

genericnick posted:

Looking back at the last few pages a lot of posters seem to forget that Rainer explicitly stated that their goal was to erase all the humans. Not nudge them into action.

All the humans inside the walls. I'm leaning towards the reasoning having something to do with whatever the motives/goals of the government/church are. We've been given next to no information about the king/top level government inside the walls, and there's probably a reason for that. My guess is that they're involved with, or have in the past been involved with, some level of evil that at least partially justifies Reiner/Bertholdt/Annie's actions.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

tayvaan posted:

I think the more interesting question is why kidnapping Eren means they can end their onslaught. Which comes back to the other question of why they attacked in the first place.
They are after Monkey for some reason, who can create titans. Eren was obviously not made by Monkey. Could be related...?

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

So, it seems we have at least three different types of Titans:

Mindless titans. These are often grotesquely deformed, dumb as bricks and like to eat humans. Apparently, Ymir is one of those, but she managed to control herself somehow. This is probably why Reiner & Bert have an interest in her - she would allow them insight into the monkey titan's methods, perhaps?

Monkey titans. I'm guessing there's more than one, and they have been infecting large swaths of the population. They might have appeared spontaneously, or they're mindless titans that have been left alone long enough; in any case, their only real interest seems to be to make as many titans as possible, rather than killing all humans.

Artificial titans. I'm pretty sure Eren, Annie, Reiner & Bert are artificially made to combat mindless titans, which is why they're not deformed. Maybe Eren's dad is responsible for all of this, and he turned several people into artifical titans, but he didn't know they would try to kill all humans inside the wall, which is why he gave his son the same power to fight them.

Which gives me an idea for a theory:

So, whatever faction out there wants all humans inside the wall dead: presumably they fight the monkey titans, and the humans inside the wall are somehow a problem for them. Perhaps the nobles have a deal with the monkeys to keep a "farm" of humans which they can turn into titans, because otherwise the mindless titans would just eat everyone before they could turn them? That would explain how they could get their hands on titans to make the walls (although those seem to be artifical titans, not mindless ones...?), and the church could be kept in the dark just as much, knowing just enough to maintain the status quo. Maybe the monkeys visit occasionally and make of with a new batch of mindless titans, or people are kidnapped in secret and delivered to them. Of course, we don't know why the monkeys would try to turn as many people into titans as possible as opposed to killing everyone...
I could totally see someone trying to prevent that by killing all humans inside the "farm" in advance, though. Perhaps Reiner's & co. actions have disrupted the whole human delivery deal the nobles had, which is why a monkey titan decided to visit and fetch some more mindless titans himself.

Whelp, guess we'll know some day...

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I just had a thought. Where's the basement key at the moment?

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

At this point, I'm fully expecting to find out that Eren's father is the human-titans' leader. Which means it's probably actually his mother.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I have a feeling that once Eren gets to the basement the chapter is going to end with him opening the door slack jawed with a "Whaaa.....?" and then fade to black.

Good Lord do I love this series.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
i wonder if this is the break he needs to get there.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Illuyankas posted:

I just had a thought. Where's the basement key at the moment?

I assume Commander Irwing has it?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Lamebot posted:

i wonder if this is the break he needs to get there.
They did just establish that a nighttime expedition to Shiganshina was possible/a good idea. And now they're out there, and planning to be halfway to Maria by nightfall.

If there are enough revelations about what's going on when everyone meets up in the woods, I could see them heading straight on for Shiganshina.

I could also see them not doing that, and instead doing any number of things. I can't wait to find out what happens next!

Giant Enemy Cliche
Oct 10, 2012

"It was then that an ominous man stood beside me with a face of ill portent."
I'm going to place my money right now that the key is not just a key to the basement, but a key to something important in the basement. "They" don't want eren, they want the key. But all Bert and Reiner know is that Eren is important, hence taking him hostage rather than just getting the key and scarpering.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
:woop: Mangastream has picked up attack on titan! :woop: Good fast translations for everyone.

http://mangastream.com/read/attack_on_titan/39878584/1

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Good is debatable when talking about mangastream. Fast, yes.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Talking about that giant deviant watching the four:

"A subtle one, for sure." (Mangastream)

vs

"He must be rather delicate." (Anonymous)

Different meanings that change the mood quite a bit.

Also:

"gently caress you. Who cares what you say?" (Mangastream)

vs

"Retard. Who the hell would believe you?" (Anonymous)

LightningKnight
Sep 20, 2012

Giant Enemy Cliche posted:

I'm going to place my money right now that the key is not just a key to the basement, but a key to something important in the basement. "They" don't want eren, they want the key. But all Bert and Reiner know is that Eren is important, hence taking him hostage rather than just getting the key and scarpering.

I can see that being a thing. It makes sense that Eren's dad would install some sort of failsafe so that whatever information is down there wouldn't fall into the wrong hands. Considering that he "made" Eren, having he himself be the key to unlocking that information is pretty plausible.

However, I think him being a Titan merits importance in and of itself. Even if it is access to whatever's in the basement they want, he himself is still a threat any way you look at it.

Affi posted:

There is a fourth wall, manned by human titans like Bert and Reiner, holding back the countless hordes of Titans. The only titans the Wall Humans ever see are the dregs that get through the first line of defense. Bert and Reiner believed that if the human settlement is allowed to fall then their people no longer have to sacrifice their lives to defend it.

If Titans have made it past this fortification, does that mean they broke the fourth wall? :downsrim:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

LightningKnight posted:

If Titans have made it past this fortification, does that mean they broke the fourth wall? :downsrim:

Just speculating loosely. But it would be cool with like a sea of Titans crawling over the fourth (haha) wall and human titans doing their best to stem the tide. Just letting a few past.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing

Thoren posted:

Talking about that giant deviant watching the four:

"A subtle one, for sure." (Mangastream)

vs

"He must be rather delicate." (Anonymous)

Different meanings that change the mood quite a bit.

Also:

"gently caress you. Who cares what you say?" (Mangastream)

vs

"Retard. Who the hell would believe you?" (Anonymous)

I do wish scanlators wouldn't swear so much :sigh:
It wouldn't be such an issue if the translations were of better quality, but stilted English with slang insults thrown in just jars.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

immortal flow posted:

It wouldn't be such an issue if the translations were of better quality, but stilted English with slang insults thrown in just jars.

It works for Eren though since he has no filter. He staring these mass murderers in the face and he certainly wouldn't try to censor what he thinks.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I've watched the 10th episode of the anime just now, and I'm not sure if there are subtle differences already or not. In the anime, Armin sees a single flower blooming inside the ribcage when Eren protects them from cannon fire - did that happen in the manga too? I've no idea if it's in any way significant, or if it's just a fancy way of pointing out how "benign" Eren's action are...

Also, did the manga state just as explicitly that Eren's dad gave him the titan powers? I'm not even sure in which chapter it came up, or if ever.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Excelsiortothemax posted:

I have a feeling that once Eren gets to the basement the chapter is going to end with him opening the door slack jawed with a "Whaaa.....?" and then fade to black.

Good Lord do I love this series.

Then in the next chapter we find out there simply another door, requiring multiple keeps behind the original door! :v:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Azzents posted:

It works for Eren though since he has no filter. He staring these mass murderers in the face and he certainly wouldn't try to censor what he thinks.
Plus, Eren's personality shows that he has no restraint when it comes to just about anything in life, be it saving a friend from human traffickers or simply talking to people around him. I swear if he was a drill sergeant, he'd have the vocabulary of R. Lee Ermy's character from Full Metal Jacket.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Nah, Eren's basically drill sergeant's unapproachable avatar of anger act but he's not acting.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

Nah, Eren's basically drill sergeant's unapproachable avatar of anger act but he's not acting.
Hence why I specified "vocabulary". Eren could swear up a storm, say things that no one even understands, and top it all off by explaining to his superiors what a reach-around is.

Hell, I'm genuinely amazed I haven't seen Red Lantern Eren fanart yet.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Haha in the anime thread people are saying they need to hurry up and get to the basement already.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dr_Amazing posted:

Haha in the anime thread people are saying they need to hurry up and get to the basement already.

Haha yeah, I saw that post and was like "man, have I got some bad news for you..."

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I started reading this series thinking that surely the answers must have been revealed to so many questions by the time I would catch up, but no, gently caress, poo poo.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Chinaman7000 posted:

I started reading this series thinking that surely the answers must have been revealed to so many questions by the time I would catch up, but no, gently caress, poo poo.

And yet the series is still so good without answering pretty much a god drat thing except who the Colossal and Armored Titans were. This will probably end up as another "have to be there when it happens" thing, rather than coming in after the series is over, since I doubt the answers can live up to our expectations at this point. Not that I don't hope for them to, but I have got a bad feeling that despite the author claiming it's been laid out from start to finish, the answers won't satisfy anyone. I would absolutely love to be proven wrong though!

edit: I also find Mercrom's posting in the anime thread(or ADTRW in general) hilarious, he is so loving cynical and seriousface about these animes. What a god drat downer.

This episode was slow? BURN IT ALL DOWN! Attack On Titan is second only to The Wire to me!

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 9, 2013

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Huh, I just realized that this chapter seems to have confirmed something we debated on a while back. Basically the question of if human titans have any command over ferals. The answer seems to be no. Reiner and Bert are stuck here being hungry and crazy because they can't make the ferals go away.

That leads to interesting questions, though. Like, Annie sure seemed to have that power, since she used titans to supplement her attack on the Recon Force. Maybe the attacks on Maria and Rose were a three-man operation, with Annie supplying the titans gathering/entering when and where they should? Or am I reading it wrong and does Hairy have the only ability to command titans?

Wild speculation: the guy Ymir attacked was the original third man, and Annie was a replacement. Perhaps the third man's powers were important to the attacks for some reason, and the delay between the attacks was in turning Annie into a human titan. She seems to have been groomed to be one from a young age, but that doesn't mean she got the power early.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

ZeeToo posted:

That leads to interesting questions, though. Like, Annie sure seemed to have that power, since she used titans to supplement her attack on the Recon Force. Maybe the attacks on Maria and Rose were a three-man operation, with Annie supplying the titans gathering/entering when and where they should? Or am I reading it wrong and does Hairy have the only ability to command titans?

Well, the one thing we absolutely know for sure is that feral-titans will prioritize attacking human-titans before attacking any regular humans. I think Annie's yell simply got their attention. Having said that, it does seem like the Hairy Titan can communicate with and even intimidate the feral-titans, though not outright control them.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Doflamingo posted:

Well, the one thing we absolutely know for sure is that feral-titans will prioritize attacking human-titans before attacking any regular humans. I think Annie's yell simply got their attention. Having said that, it does seem like the Hairy Titan can communicate with and even intimidate the feral-titans, though not outright control them.

Yeah, but an entire force of Titans attacked before she did, in a way that seemed like it was being led, and then we see her run in once it's weakened. This seems to mean that she was commanding them somehow. Or not, who knows.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

immortal flow posted:

This is a world where culture was basically "reset" over the course of the past 100 years and language would have to follow that as humans came from all over. This is also a world where people getting murdered by hideous abominations in increasingly gruesome ways is just the soup of the day, leading to anger and rage all around. Double that due to almost everyone we see in this comic being in the military.

In these cases class, refinement and elegance are going to be among the first things to go. The fact that people don't swear more should be the jarring thing. Eren, Armin and Mikasa were basically hoodrats.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

KittyEmpress posted:

Yeah, but an entire force of Titans attacked before she did, in a way that seemed like it was being led, and then we see her run in once it's weakened. This seems to mean that she was commanding them somehow. Or not, who knows.

Easy. She attracts a load of titans. Leads them close to the human convoy and then loses them somehow. (By running away or turning back into a human)

Loads of titans close to the right flank of the convoy move in to attack.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I'm a terrible person for feeling bad for Reiner despite the fact that he's a mass murderer :v:. The impression I get is that he didn't really truly realize the full magnitude of what he was doing until it was already done - hence the delusion. They WERE for all intents and purposes children when they broke down the first walls - you can only imagine what sort of hosed up poo poo happened to turn two kids into superweapons to wipe out millions of people. It doesn't really justify it, but at the same time poo poo kinda sucks, you know? Presumably he and Bert were created and raised just for this specific task - the pair of them have titan forms that are all but custom-made for wall-breaking.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I found this last chapter rather confusing. Overall, it seems that Ymir has come to some conclusions regarding who "the enemy" is but decided at the last minute not to tell Eren. Again, 40-something manga pages and not a whole lot was answered. Hard to tell whether or not the talk about protecting Christa affected Ymir or not.

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

edit: I also find Mercrom's posting in the anime thread(or ADTRW in general) hilarious, he is so loving cynical and seriousface about these animes. What a god drat downer.

This episode was slow? BURN IT ALL DOWN! Attack On Titan is second only to The Wire to me!

Well it was only second to The Wire. Now he just doesn't know if he can like it anymore

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Worried that the next episode will also be very talky with almost no action. We have the desertion taking up time, pixis speech and then introduction of the special team. And then Eren falling asleep at the wheel. Basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Another anime watcher screaming for the show to get to the basement already. :allears:

ViggyNash posted:

Between all the internal monologing and pointless dialog, I think we learned a grand total of 2 things this episode:

* spoiler blocks removed *

1) Eren'd dad knows something important about the Titans => GET TO THE loving BASEMENT ALREADY GODDAMIT. IT'S IMPORTANT.

* snip *