Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

realbez posted:

Discogs is good for finding things like that out. The eagle cover is a reissue from 2001, and it is worth about 8 bucks.

http://www.discogs.com/High-On-Fire-The-Art-Of-Self-Defense/master/55164

Oh cool. Thanks for that, i knew about that site but had no idea it listed values.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
A few months ago someone brought up the band Thou and posted about how they release all of their recordings (and more) for free through their website: http://noladiy.org/thoupast.html Great selection of stuff, I recommend the album Peasant - To Carry A Stone as one of the best one's I've listened to so far. Does anyone else have any they could recommend from the list?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I really enjoyed To the Chaos Wizard Youth. Also I had no idea they had so much stuff! The only other albums I've heard from them are Summit and The Archer & the Owle, which are both good.

rargphlam
Dec 16, 2008
Tyrant, Peasant, and Summit are all really good, and Tears That Soak a Callous Heart and Baton Rouge, You Have Much to Answer For are probably two of my favorite EPs of theirs.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

casual poster posted:

A few months ago someone brought up the band Thou and posted about how they release all of their recordings (and more) for free through their website: http://noladiy.org/thoupast.html Great selection of stuff, I recommend the album Peasant - To Carry A Stone as one of the best one's I've listened to so far. Does anyone else have any they could recommend from the list?

Tyrant is amazing, strongly recommended. Also if their split with Hell is up there, get that. Another great doom band.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
So what's the worst part about the new Black Sabbath record? I'm thinking it's a tie between Ozzy's vocals and the awful production.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
The crazy brickwalling should win an award, but honestly it's the feeling of "oh here's the boogie part after the dirge riff, here's the Planet Caravan type song, etc."

I know they were trying to recreate the feel from the early 70s albums, but they're not the same band and trying force them to write that way doesn't work. There's a reason why Heaven & Hell didn't try to replicate those early Dio albums or even Dehumanizer, though they're stylistically more similar.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Speaking of Heaven and Hell.. the one good thing about 13 is it made me appreciate how good The Devil You Know really was.

I agree though, everything about 13 was obvious. Took some balls to try to recreate Planet Caravan so explicitly.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
thanks for the help ya'll

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Are people actually hating on 13 in this thread? Because it's really good. And I don't get the complaints about production. Everyone is acting like it's Death Magnetic, but to me everything sounded clear and I didn't get a horrendous earache after listening.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Are people actually hating on 13 in this thread? Because it's really good. And I don't get the complaints about production. Everyone is acting like it's Death Magnetic, but to me everything sounded clear and I didn't get a horrendous earache after listening.

I think my problem with it was they were going for the production they had in the 70s but they were trying to do it with modern equipment so it can only sound like an attempt. It's definitely nowhere near as bad as metallica's recent production but I dunno, maybe I'd like it a little better if they didn't try so hard. It's not like any of them gave that much of a gently caress when they were fresh out.

Even though I know the old ones inside and out I'd still rather listen to those over 13, and this is a guy who liked Tyr and Cross Purposes.

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

I saw Baroness in Dallas last Friday and I gotta say, that was one hell of a show. They ended up playing pretty much all of Green and Yellow, along with a few key songs from Red and Blue. The new members were really solid and you could definitely tell they were just glad to be back playing again. Plenty of sweet riffs and headbanging, I had to buy a shirt and a small vinyl just for the artwork alone... If I could get a tattoo of some of Baizley's work I'd be a happy dude.

So from swimming around in Spotify I've came across Witchcraft and an album called Legend, which is their only album they have on there of their work unfortunately. However it has become one of my favorite albums of last year, it is some great stoner rock/metal with some solid riffs and driving force and contrast behind the whole album. Give it a listen if you haven't yet.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Legend is their best release by far, but I would still encourage you to dig around their older stuff too. I especially like Firewood.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

If you like Witchcraft, check out Graveyard.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Morbid Florist posted:

I think my problem with it was they were going for the production they had in the 70s but they were trying to do it with modern equipment so it can only sound like an attempt.

Funnily enough Danzig went the other way using as much old gear as possible on his last album. The songs aren't that great (and holy gently caress Tommy Victor should never be allowed to play a guitar solo ever), but they do sound fantastic.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
All this talk of 13 reminded me of a stoner/doom band I was into a number of years back called Planet Gemini, who released an album called 13 back in 2002. They have a fuzzed out Sabbath vibe and some of their stuff is pretty good, other stuff not so much. Anyway, here are a couple of their tunes I found on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7gtba682PU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqjkAS1WkaI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKKVVB3ICoE

I thought all their albums were released for free online but now I can only find their more recent stuff (I hadn't listened to them since about 2006 so not heard any of this): http://www.planetgemini.net/Downloads/index.html

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

Irony.or.Death posted:

Legend is their best release by far, but I would still encourage you to dig around their older stuff too. I especially like Firewood.

plester1 posted:

Thanks, I'll give them a listen. I couldn't find any Witchcraft torrents a while back, I may have to buy some music.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
The NAAM album "Vow" is a great sophomore effort.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_Y2kg4zgAE

also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Us4CG80Vk0

Ohvee fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 7, 2013

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
So if any of you are in Sarasota/St.Pete there is a show going on June 29 near Ringling. I did the flyer for the show and I am working on the album cover for one of the bands. Alma has a video on YouTube, The Tunnel has a bandcamp page, and Pagan is working on their first release.

Edit - I would link stuff but I'm on my phone and I also apologize if the image is huge, it looks fine on my phone

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Irony.or.Death posted:

I disagree. It's a good album, but it feels like they lost something when they got another guitar player so Magnus could focus on vocals alone. The Alchemist is so much better. Firewood I haven't listened to that much.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

plester1 posted:

Also, Norrsken, the band both Witchcraft and Graveyard sprung out from.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Frank Caskelot posted:

I disagree. It's a good album, but it feels like they lost something when they got another guitar player so Magnus could focus on vocals alone. The Alchemist is so much better. Firewood I haven't listened to that much.

The obvious lesson here is that everyone needs to listen to all of their stuff, I think.

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

First song of my new doom/post metal band. I hope I won't get probated for posting this outside ML...

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Irony.or.Death posted:

The obvious lesson here is that everyone needs to listen to all of their stuff, I think.

I agree.

polynominal-c posted:

First song of my new doom/post metal band. I hope I won't get probated for posting this outside ML...

Sounds good.

Frank Caskelot fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 9, 2013

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

polynominal-c posted:

I like it. I wish the vocals were higher in the mix though, they sound pretty solid.

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

I can't even afford an avatar
Does anybody still listen to 90's style doom/death?

After a long time listening almost exclusively to the stoner/sludge varieties of doom, I got a strange urge the other day to get some new doom/death. I'm treating it with Bilocate(a band from Jordan... they'll be one of the opening acts for Orphaned Land in Europe. Pretty good stuff), but I don't really know of many bands that play this style of doom anymore. Suggestions?

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Esoteric, Evoken, mournful congregation and disembowelment all rule.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Gotta get Encoffination.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Check out Until Death Overtakes Me if you like growled doom vocals but want something more funereal.

While looking up links I discovered that Stijn Van Cauter (the guy behind UDOM, he was also in Pantheist for a while) has released all the music that was on his NULLL record label for free on archive.org, which is pretty cool. Been years since I was really into this stuff, but check out Torture Wheel and Uncertainty Principle if you're into droning/ambient and noisy doom (reminds me a bit of Hjarnidaudi), and pretty much anything else on there if you just like it droning and ambient. Also has all the Until Death Overtakes Me releases, which are much more straight up funeral doom.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 11, 2013

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Palms is sounding pretty drat cool, actually. I'm not a Deftones fan by a long shot, but I do think Chino fits in nicely. All three of the songs out there sound good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZntL_JEyz4

Palms would be better if Michael Gallagher was with them. As well as Aaron Turner. :smith:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

P4k are streaming the new High on Fire live album apparently.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Crimsonjewfro posted:

After a long time listening almost exclusively to the stoner/sludge varieties of doom, I got a strange urge the other day to get some new doom/death. I'm treating it with Bilocate(a band from Jordan... they'll be one of the opening acts for Orphaned Land in Europe. Pretty good stuff), but I don't really know of many bands that play this style of doom anymore. Suggestions?

Hooded Menace and Solothus.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Crimsonjewfro posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNW-EvRQd1A

Anhedonist would probably fit the bill.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Crimsonjewfro posted:

If I squint just right Incantation kind of fits that bill though it's obviously more death than doom. Incantation's Diabolical Conquest is hands down one of my favorite albums ever. Loads of cool original parts and successive changes that just keep punishing. All the instruments and vocals are perfect.

Here are the first two songs off Diabolical Conquest. There is so much right about the beginning of this album.

Incantation - Impeding Diabolical Conquest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd3AZX2UXKg
Incantation - Desecration (of the Heavenly Graceful): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIXrOEAG9tY

This rules.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 12, 2013

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

I can't even afford an avatar
Oh, hey, that's a lot of new bands (emphasis on "new", that's what I was looking for :) ) to keep me entertained. Thanks, everyone!

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

So I'm not the only one who likes Sabbath's new album? The mastering leaves me wanting, but it's nowhere near as bad as Death Magnetic, and that's some pretty good poo poo for 65-odd year old men who basically birthed a genre. Zeitgeist and Damaged Soul are standouts, but there really isn't a track on there that I feel like skipping, and I keep wanting to listen to it.

It's no Sabotage, but if it ends up being their final album then I'm pretty happy.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Any UK Goons looking to check out Red Fang in Bristol on 19 June? I'm in London and I'm thinking of making the train ride out there for it.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Did anyone bring up Ten Foot Wizard yet? Because drat.

Chest3r
Dec 8, 2003
nutsack.
Did you guys see this??

quote:

LATE NEWS: UNCLE ACID TO SUPPORT BLACK SABBATH!

We are honoured to announce we'll be supporting our masters throughout Europe and the UK. We owe them so much, and we shall not disappoint. See you all soon!

SABBATH DATES:
20-Nov Finland Helsinki Hartwall Arena
22-Nov Sweden Stockholm Friends Arena
24-Nov Norway Oslo Telenor Arena
26-Nov Denmark Copenhagen Forum
28-Nov Netherlands Amsterdam Ziggo Dome
30-Nov Germany Dortmund Westfalenhalle
02-Dec France Paris Bercy
04-Dec Germany Frankfurt Festhalle
07-Dec Czech Republic Prague O2 Arena
10-Dec UK London O2 Arena
12-Dec UK Belfast Odyssey Arena
14-Dec UK Sheffield Motorpoint Arena
16-Dec UK Glasgow Hydro
18-Dec UK Manchester Arena Manchester Arena
20-Dec UK Birmingham LG Arena
22-Dec UK Birmingham National Indoor Arena

From their Facebook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Crackerman posted:

So I'm not the only one who likes Sabbath's new album? The mastering leaves me wanting, but it's nowhere near as bad as Death Magnetic, and that's some pretty good poo poo for 65-odd year old men who basically birthed a genre. Zeitgeist and Damaged Soul are standouts, but there really isn't a track on there that I feel like skipping, and I keep wanting to listen to it.

It's no Sabotage, but if it ends up being their final album then I'm pretty happy.

It was surprisingly solid, and Damaged Soul was straight up Goatsnake. :stare: But yeah, it's definitely a step up from Forbidden. Not that Forbidden is something aspire to