Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

&

Asherah Lives!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

JR

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
To think this all could have been avoided if we spent more time with Pagam.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
JR

BoyG
Nov 24, 2004

Have you heard the tale of the Cannibal King of Kavodel?
J + R

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Can we at least try to survive to being a teen before we commit suicide in the stupidest fashion possible? This is vomiting Kadai up all over again.

E + F

Khris Kruel
Nov 5, 2003

Ask me about being a SJW in EE and working to make anyone who disagrees with me a villain and gets no opportunity to defend themselves at all because my army or sycophants I buy off with pixels follows me blindly.

I'm pretty sure we've abandoned our father's rituals as hokey, and all we know is that turns us into lightning spewing demons. That wont help us right now.

Monsters in the dark feed on fear, so lets attempt to calm the kid next to us down. Also apparently mysticism is prevalent although we don't know the rules, so lets chsnnel our willpower like we've seen from our father and tudiya do to get him to calm down. Then climb a tree to get our bearings.

vote: F, M

Khris Kruel fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 8, 2013

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

and

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.
In the interests of Fish Loyalty, I'm changing my vote to the J+R Tide.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!
J&R

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
F&I, I'm all for Ashera, the sea and all, but nothing we learned about our great fish god said anything about cutting the throats of children or about navigating in a Monster-filled woods. Even if I still beleive in Ashera he doesn't give a toss about the land, so let's grab a hold of Danal and pray to El for help. Hopefully the act of prayer will calm him down and at least give us the chance to readjust to the situation.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
F, I.

Try to calm Danal and pray to El for guidance.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
Not J, Not R.

Clockwork Gadget fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 9, 2013

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Edit:

Changed vote: Not-J and Not-J

Changed from not-J and I.
Hoping I, F and U win.
Updated my previous post.

OhYo fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 9, 2013

Mr Apollo
Jan 1, 2013
and

Above all, don't panic.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Just a recap to people thinking praying or letting out blood is going to make Asherah help us:

Diogines posted:

Not smiting demons, no. He is not a god to help you, but to punish you if you disobey. Either the fish will go away and you will starve, or be hit by a storm. It is well known that Asherah will punish your village if you disobey.

However, Here are the three creation stories that we have heard so far:

The one listed in the OP:

Diogines posted:

"In the beginning there was naught but the Creator who dwelt in void and sat in silence".

"On the First Day the Creator crafted the Heavens and used his flesh to fill Heaven with Angels and, it was good."

"On the Second Day the Creator reached into his flesh and crafted a new place. Over it was placed the sky and beneath, land and what lay between was filled with water and, it was good."

"On the Third day the Creator spoke not a word, but beckoned his angels unto Ur and so they went and there they crafted creatures of the land and sea and sky. Life covered the world and, it was good."

"On the Fourth day the Creator again reached into his flesh and crafted ten men and ten women. The Creator placed them upon the world and, it was good."

"On the Fifth day, man covered the world."

"On the Sixth Day..."

The story of Asherah Sushem taught us:

Diogines posted:

"In the beginning, Asherah swam through the waters and His Hunger was Great as he swam through the deep.

Where Asherah beat his tail the waters were deepened and where he lifted up his tail, rose land. Where he splashed water high was made the sky, stars and moon and sun.

And His Hunger was Great as he swam through the deep.

Where Asherah lowered his fins, came the plants of the sea and where he raised them came the plants of the land.

Asherah cast forth his seed unto the waters and made the Great Fish and their names are Ninveh, Yamsef, Daam, Keenem, Nagaal, Faram, Smis, Adom, Jaar, Xural, Amal, Menl, Garal and Ophama.

Asherah ate the flesh of his sons and daughters and the flesh of their sons and daughters.

Asherah cast his seed upon the land and where it landed came our fathers.

And His Hunger was Great as he swam through the deep."

The story Tudiya told us tonight:

Diogines posted:

"In the beginning there was naught but El who dwelt in void and sat in silence.

On the First Day El crafted Heaven and filled Heaven with Angels. The Angels sung the glories of El and, it was good.

On the Second Day El crafted a new place. Over it was placed the sky and beneath, land and what lay between was filled with water and, it was good.

On the Third day El waived His hand across the world and where it passed came plants of every sort and the creatures of the land and sea and sky and, it was good.
"

"On the Fourth day the Angels descended upon the world to slay Leviathan, Dragoom, Quetzatl, Ogar and Asharak to prepare the way for what was to come and, it was good.

On the fifth day El reached into his flesh and placed a man and a woman upon the world and, it was good.

On the sixth day, man covered the world and prayed to the sun and moon and stars and to the beasts of the field.

"On the seventh day was born Labaras and, it was good.

On the eighth day Labaras turned his back upon the sun, moon, stars and beasts of the field and left the tents of his fathers to search for El and, it was good.

On the ninth day, Labaras spoke with El and raised up the House of El and, it was good.

On the tenth day, El rested.
"

I think praying to both is the best choice we have for right now, until whomever decides to contact us. I don't think its a coincidence that the creation stories are so similar. The Asherah/El story may come from the same source.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Calm the Kid
Pray: We are lost. If any god is listening give me a sign

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Best way to calm the kid is U.

Totals on the spreadsheet seem off.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 8, 2013

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Ditto

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
J + R Either Ashera helps us now; or we should seriously consider not worshipping Ashera from this point forward.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Half-wit posted:

J + R Either Ashera helps us now; or we should seriously consider not worshipping Ashera from this point forward.

This is aligned with my thinking. We need a sign of some sort that Ashera accepts us.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Asherah is an ocean god. If we pray to a fishgod in the middle of the forest, the outcomes will range from "nothing at all" to "struck by lightning", and it's not like Asherah has ever helped anyone directly.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

So coming out here was pretty loving dumb, but we're 11 so El probably doesn't immediately hate us for doing this.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Fixed the discrepancies in the spreadsheet: my formulas were only set up to count single votes :downs:

Also added links to the vote icons for normal votes, negative votes, and Asherah votes :v:

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Changing vote from 2x E to 2x not R

michael knight
Oct 16, 2003

I love pubbies!
E + F

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

dyzzy posted:

Changing vote from 2x E to 2x not R

Can we 2x votes?

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
Doublevoting for NOT R, NOT R.

e: changed quickly, sorry

e2: I didnt know how to read the spreadsheet, changed my vote back to what it was below.

treasured8elief fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 8, 2013

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009
Voting not J not R.

How exactly would shooting lightning help us at all? Assuming that we could figure it out.

The fish god is a worthless god, easily defeated by the king. I don't understand why people are clinging to a god that has literally never helped us.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

toxic8aker posted:

Doublevoting for NOT R, NOT R.

e: changed quickly, sorry

e2: I didnt know how to read the spreadsheet, changed my vote back to what it was below.

Changing my vote back to doublevote NOT J, NOT J.

GloriousDemon
May 1, 2009
He may not be the god to help you, but he still may have power we can forcibly use. I think Asherah is Leviathan, meaning he's a dead old god killed by the angels, but like defeated titans, demon's, and your biblical monsters they never stay all the way dead and are always imprisoned and slumbering for the culture's doomsday warning, or volcano allegories, in our friend Asherah's case typhoons. What we have in our hands is a chunk of an uncaring, lazy but mondo powerful monstrosity that doesn't give a drat if we pray to it or use it like a tool.

Slightly relevant biblical Leviathan quotes: The sword that reaches him has no effect, nor does the spear or the dart or the javelin.
Iron he treats like straw and bronze like rotten wood. Nothing on earth is his equal—a creature without fear.
Just don't get bisected, we're on highlander invulnerability rules here people!

Voting E that we try and remember our way back, and Voting R that we fish magic up our way back as well.

I'm just worried that someone Barkof, come on you know the King's aid is gonna be a crazy ninja is gonna be witness to our heathen magic.

...Told y'all we get lost!

EDIT VOTING DOUBLE R since people are making double votes now I guess?!

GloriousDemon fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 8, 2013

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

FoxTerrier posted:

Can we 2x votes?

GloriousDemon posted:

EDIT VOTING DOUBLE R since people are making double votes now I guess?!

It's in the update folks!

I guess I am OK with praying to Ashera, but trying to do a ritual will be pointless at best and life-threatening at worst, imo. Whatever happens I will be fine just burying option R.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I will update at some point tonight.

right now F - Calm down Danal and J - Pray to Asherah are winning.

Anyone who wants to change their vote can, but as usual, please do so by making a new post, don't just edit your old one or it may not be seen.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

F and I: Calm Danal down, and see if El can help us out!

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
Right now I'm voting for I twice, but that will likely change depending on the outcome of this question:

Diogines, what's the current season?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Summer.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
Alright, why not, changing my vote to JR. I still think, personally, it's rather silly, Asherah doesn't provide personal help, and we're nowhere near its domain. That being said though, it's exactly the sort of move our character would make, given his choices so far, and falling back on the default beliefs you were brought up with, in a time of panic and need, seems to make sense.

Might be interesting at least to see if anything at all happens. I doubt it though. And the El-supporters should be happy about that, seeing as it might support not turning to Asherah in the future, or trying out El next.

Still worried about how we're going to explain it to Danal/others when we come back with a big gash on our hand. Seems like King Handsome might be the sort to detect lies.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Not R x2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I think Asherah supporters are going to have to focus on J or R because F and I have 15, J and R have 10/9.

In a reconciliatory move I am going to change my vote to JJ, the least controversial Asherah supporting option. Let's just see if Asherah does anything, hey? Though I feel like the JR tandem would have the most efficacy, but...options seem limited.

Question for Diogines: What time zone are you in? Just wondering what to base "tonight" on when you say it.

Edit: We were raised for the HUGE majority of our life under Asherah. Our father was the priest of Asherah. It doesn't seem so far fetched to fall back on that in this moment of panic. I didn't want to adventure with two pre-pubescent boys in the forest, but here we are.

Tsyni fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 8, 2013