Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Anybody got a copy for sale from a 4 pack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

An Enormous Boner posted:

Oh gently caress me, I accidentally left the group and now StuntCock is the admin. If you're reading this poo poo please re-add me.

Sure thing!

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
I'm around the recommended specs and yet when i play in a mediocre resolution with the lowest graphic detail my gpu gets to 85 ºc, is this normal in any way?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Attempting to simulate the weather in the Pacific theater.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

As Japan, I finally looted a trench gun and got friendly-fired creeping back to the Japanese lines. Before I could shoot it.

So yeah that's as Red Orchestra as it gets.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
So after an initial disappointment and 2 hours of playing, I can say I'll keep playing this one.

I have a few questions though:

- When I get shot, sometimes the screen just starts turning black until I eventually die. Is there any way to avoid this, or it's just a way of saying "you died bleeding like a pig"?

- What's the banzai thing? I've been playing only in action servers and never heard anything banzai-related.

- I thought "realism" was the default mode of playing RO2, but almost every server I'm seeing has action mode turned on. Is this normal? I'm having fun anyways and already think this is hardcore enough for me, just asking since everyone here's talking about realism mode.

and on a side note, am I the only one who finds Saipan the only good-looking map of the game?

Well, thanks in advance for answering those, and if anyone's thinking about buying it I'd say go for it, but check the requirements first and keep in mind that you're going to get shot a shitton of times before you realise what's the game about.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Cable posted:

So after an initial disappointment and 2 hours of playing, I can say I'll keep playing this one.

I have a few questions though:

- When I get shot, sometimes the screen just starts turning black until I eventually die. Is there any way to avoid this, or it's just a way of saying "you died bleeding like a pig"?

- What's the banzai thing? I've been playing only in action servers and never heard anything banzai-related.

- I thought "realism" was the default mode of playing RO2, but almost every server I'm seeing has action mode turned on. Is this normal? I'm having fun anyways and already think this is hardcore enough for me, just asking since everyone here's talking about realism mode.

and on a side note, am I the only one who finds Saipan the only good-looking map of the game?

Well, thanks in advance for answering those, and if anyone's thinking about buying it I'd say go for it, but check the requirements first and keep in mind that you're going to get shot a shitton of times before you realise what's the game about.

In order,

1) You're bleeding out, it's unavoidable. Hey, it's better than vRO2 where you have to listen to your guy cry pitifully for three seconds.

2) Banzai is a Japanese-only mechanic where you hold down your melee button (normally middle mouse) while sprinting. You start screaming and an icon appears showing how many people are banzaiing with you, the higher the number the better the effect (up to 5x), plus if you have an officer with a sword it is stronger yet. This gives you increased damage resistance and causes suppression in enemies near you, allowing you to get into the point and stab people. It's mostly just used for transport since the melee system is so fiddly.

3) Are you sure you don't have a filter on? Most of the servers with lots of players are realism as far as I have noticed. Perhaps you're playing realism and not noticing? If you have a crosshair then it's action, if not then not.

And Saipan is the only map with clean edges, so meh. It's a lot less mucky, yes.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
I bought the game and had a great session last night, 64 players was some intense poo poo. I stuck with rifleman on a whim so I've not played with other guns, but the flamethrower is a real terror. This guy on Iwo Jima was like 100 kills ahead of the rest with it, and literally the only option outside of fragging him was to run outside his range as soon as you heard the woosh. There seemed to be all kinds of funny detection and I burst into flames a few times through large impenetrable bits of terrain. To be fair this is miles preferable to other games solutions which is to make flamethrowers awful.

It's cool that a competent commander can totally cancel any and all imbalance in a map as well.

Captain Diarrhoea fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jun 9, 2013

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer
I made us a channel on Camping the Stairs.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

3) Are you sure you don't have a filter on? Most of the servers with lots of players are realism as far as I have noticed. Perhaps you're playing realism and not noticing? If you have a crosshair then it's action, if not then not.

I do have a crosshair. I'm a Spaniard so that's probably it, cannot find ANY realism server but then again i can see only 5-6 full servers so that's probably it...

edit: when looking for RO2 games, only a server shows up. I guess the Rising Storm servers will unfortunately stop existing in some months... too bad this game didn't sell more.

Cable fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 9, 2013

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Cable posted:

I do have a crosshair. I'm a Spaniard so that's probably it, cannot find ANY realism server but then again i can see only 5-6 full servers so that's probably it...

edit: when looking for RO2 games, only a server shows up. I guess the Rising Storm servers will unfortunately stop existing in some months... too bad this game didn't sell more.

You can put a filter on. Maybe things are region locked anyways, that would explain it. Over in the States we have probably at least 30 64/64 servers at any time, with most running realism.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
Can it be possible that I have to actually unlock realism mode? Bc in the filters every other mode than Action appears grayed out

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Cable posted:

Can it be possible that I have to actually unlock realism mode? Bc in the filters every other mode than Action appears grayed out

I just got the game yesterday and I've come to the conclusion that that is in fact the case. It seems outrageously stupid.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun

Cable posted:

Yes, you have to unlock realism mode. Tripwire thinks that new players need to play action mode to transition to realism mode. This is just typical incompetence from their president.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

E.Nigma posted:

Yes, you have to unlock realism mode. Tripwire thinks that new players need to play action mode to transition to realism mode. This is just typical incompetence from their president.

This is not the stupidest thing I've ever heard, but it's pretty drat close.

Are they terrified that non-spergs are going to see the game for what it is and get scared away?

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Anyone here who is an amazing boss at sniper? I gave it a shot this evening and found that it is rifleman except worse and more cumbersome in every single way. I can zap people at huge distances with irons because you know the bullet will hit where you're aiming, the scoped rifle seems to be kind of a crapshoot. I've not found a map where it's an appropriate class either.

On the other hand the Type 100 is :black101:, I hope you can use the bayonet independently of the poo poo iron sights/rof nerf 'upgrade'. I also got a dozen 3-5 kill booby traps on Saipan, I'm really surprised people don't throw more down.

Captain Diarrhoea fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 9, 2013

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

DreamShipWrecked posted:

This is not the stupidest thing I've ever heard, but it's pretty drat close.

Are they terrified that non-spergs are going to see the game for what it is and get scared away?

That's pretty much what I thought when I saw that realism was an unlockable. Hideously annoying to a lot of the experienced fan base, but in theory might keep new players from getting scared away by the much greater lethality of the realism mode. It took like, 45 minutes of playing to unlock so I'm not terribly upset about it though.

What I don't understand is people railing against the existence of action mode. There's nothing wrong with having it, it's just kind of annoying to be stuck with it until you've played a couple or three games.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

If you didn't previously own RO2, you've got to hit level 12 to unlock Realism. From what I read, you can get around this by using the Steam server browser to join Realism servers, by joining directly by IP, or by joining on a friend who is on a Realism server.

It's the stupidest thing ever, I know. They're forcing people to play a wildly inferior, watered-down version of their game for absolutely no good reason.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Yes it's level 12 for unlocking realism and I think level 15 to unlock classic mode. It's stupid but at least it doesn't take long too long.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

An Enormous Boner posted:

If you didn't previously own RO2, you've got to hit level 12 to unlock Realism. From what I read, you can get around this by using the Steam server browser to join Realism servers, by joining directly by IP, or by joining on a friend who is on a Realism server.

It's the stupidest thing ever, I know. They're forcing people to play a wildly inferior, watered-down version of their game for absolutely no good reason.

I already had RO2 and still had to unlock realism mode.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Jeez, its like one match to unlock it, what's the big deal?

Also, my light mortar is nearly 50 now. The bonuses are negligible, but I sure do love this thing.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Meanwhile, I'm lucky to get five kills a match with it.

BTW, what part of the Japanese sniper crosshair are you supposed to aim with? I can't seem to hit anything with it.

DikFaic
Dec 31, 2004

I ran into someone at honor rank 92, it's a lovely screenshot but this is what the axis hero looks like:

DikFaic fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 10, 2013

ZionestLord
Jan 9, 2010
For some reason I am not getting sound in game, the only sound I hear from Rising Storm is the Tripwire intro everything else is muted. Any help on this?

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's nice to see that the "I don't understand what an objective is" crowd has bought into Rising Storm so heavily. Entire two rounds of Saipan, I only ever see me and my SL in an objective point. Hell, the two of us held B by ourselves against eight different enemy players and B is a shithole to defend without an automatic weapon. No-one ever showed up to make it 2/3 and cap though.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I just unlocked classic mode and its like rising storm with awesome RO1 style weapon handling and movement speeds, why the hell are there only 12 people playing classic mode?

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Jarmak posted:

I just unlocked classic mode and its like rising storm with awesome RO1 style weapon handling and movement speeds, why the hell are there only 12 people playing classic mode?

Maybe we could set up a small goon server tonight to try it out?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Rhandhali posted:

Maybe we could set up a small goon server tonight to try it out?

I'd be down but I need a break, I'm really tired of playing Japanese and getting slaughtered...every...loving...match

I always end up playing Japanese because everyone stacks on USA soon as the game starts, and in the 6 hours I've played of RS so far I don't think I've ever seen them win

Just ragequit the 40-1 server in lieu putting my fist through my screen.

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005

Jarmak posted:

I'd be down but I need a break, I'm really tired of playing Japanese and getting slaughtered...every...loving...match

I always end up playing Japanese because everyone stacks on USA soon as the game starts, and in the 6 hours I've played of RS so far I don't think I've ever seen them win

Just ragequit the 40-1 server in lieu putting my fist through my screen.

Play some more, or on different servers. I see the japanese win more than half the games as long as squad leaders are not retarded. SL1 carries a huge responsibility and most people are not aware of it; since a large number of players are always in Squad 1 it is imperative that Squad Leader 1 to be a spawn point more than anything else. This means they must hide and not ever die. You have to use people that spawn on you as a buffer if you want to move up. Any time I play as SL1 I spend more time looking at my overhead map prone on the ground than not. I try to reinforce offensive spikes if I see people pushing up close to the point. If no one can push I try to flank. When I say "I", what I really mean is all the people that spawn on me. SL1 controls so much of the flow of the game its ridiculous. I have never lost a game where I am Squad Leader 1.

Dont forget that you can join other squads to from the role selection screen. You should be able to find some squad leader that hasn't gotten himself killed.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
Okay, for anyone having the same problem not finding realism servers as I had: not only Realism unlocks at level 12, but sometimes there's this utterly annoying bug which won't save your level progress (even if you finished the match). So it's just about being patient.

There's also this amazing subgame in which you have to tell apart racist jerks from trolling jerks.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Jarmak posted:

Because Tripwire has done as much as possible to strangle that thing in the crib? They released it duct taped to Call of Duty mode and left Realism mode in the game. Coming back to RO2 for RS after a loooong break I couldn't even remember which one I wanted to play, Classic or Realism, and I sure as gently caress couldn't remember the difference between the two. Tripwire should just get rid of everything except classic, or if they're honestly scared about losing the 8 players who have never heard of Call of Duty or Battlefield and who love this shooter with crosshairs and stuff, Tripwire should at least combine the two genuine modes and leave Action as it is, instead of splitting the community into tiny little slices so it can dry up and die faster.

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Classic mode was forced on Tripwire by the fans so they've done as much as they could to neglect it

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I played around on some of the mostly empty classic mode servers and it's pretty awesome, it's just like the old RO. No kill messages, no zoom in on breath hold and pretty everything I wanted from RO2.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Rhandhali posted:

I played around on some of the mostly empty classic mode servers and it's pretty awesome, it's just like the old RO. No kill messages, no zoom in on breath hold and pretty everything I wanted from RO2.
Did you want mostly empty servers from RO2? Because that seems to be an integral part of the Classic mode experience. Their goal is, I suppose, to recreate the original Red Orchestra, right down to the fact that nobody plays it anymore.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Did you want mostly empty servers from RO2? Because that seems to be an integral part of the Classic mode experience. Their goal is, I suppose, to recreate the original Red Orchestra, right down to the fact that nobody plays it anymore.

Yeah, it's kind of a pity really.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I didn't really care much for Red Orchestra 2. It was more frustrating than fun and I was dragged into playing Realism from day one (I still haven't played a "regular" match) by my friends. But Rising Storm has really brought me back and it's THE FPS that me and my friends play together. I'm not sure why that is. I like the map design a lot more, since it's less "Here's an area for attackers to spend more time respawning than playing". The color scheme too is a lot better. It's not just dim grey blue.

However, I want to strangle the community of this game. It is full of nothing but Racists, assholes, and rear end in a top hat-racists. Seriously, they should just start slamming their head as hard as they can on a sharp table edge so I don't have to. I've had ONE server where the admin actually spoke up and said he would permaban anyone on his server being racist. It's just really loving stupid how many people use the setting as an excuse, it really wasn't a problem in RO2 because the Allies and Axis were both white. But now add in Japanese and it's slanted-eye jokes all the way to the end of the match.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Ularg posted:

I didn't really care much for Red Orchestra 2. It was more frustrating than fun and I was dragged into playing Realism from day one (I still haven't played a "regular" match) by my friends. But Rising Storm has really brought me back and it's THE FPS that me and my friends play together. I'm not sure why that is. I like the map design a lot more, since it's less "Here's an area for attackers to spend more time respawning than playing". The color scheme too is a lot better. It's not just dim grey blue.

However, I want to strangle the community of this game. It is full of nothing but Racists, assholes, and rear end in a top hat-racists. Seriously, they should just start slamming their head as hard as they can on a sharp table edge so I don't have to. I've had ONE server where the admin actually spoke up and said he would permaban anyone on his server being racist. It's just really loving stupid how many people use the setting as an excuse, it really wasn't a problem in RO2 because the Allies and Axis were both white. But now add in Japanese and it's slanted-eye jokes all the way to the end of the match.

Yeah it's pretty terrible. I usually play on TWB's campaign server and they have a policy against racism. Unfortunately it's not admin'ed so often, so it's not enforced most times.

Although in RO2 people were just nazis, racists and holocaust deniers so not much difference really.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I didn't much care for RO or RO2[and yet I bought both day one on steam], but for some reason I can now confirm Rising Storm has me hooked. It's the strangest thing. The only thing I want is the kill message lag to stop. I know I am being a manchild, but the lag gives me this irrational sense of hate . :iiam:

Also the community is poo poo from what I can tell, but it could just be me joining the wrong servers.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jun 11, 2013

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

KildarX posted:

I didn't much care for RO or RO2[and yet I bought both day one on steam], but for some reason I can now confirm Rising Storm has me hooked. It's the strangest thing. The only thing I want is the kill message lag to stop. I know I am being a manchild, but the lag gives me this irrational sense of hate . :iiam:

Also the community is poo poo from what I can tell, but it could just be me joining the wrong servers.

It's not lag. It's a server option for kill messages to be delayed so you don't instantly know that your random shots are getting people. I absolutely love it and require it to be on because it's great to throw a grenade, see the explosion, and a few moments later get all of the confirmations. You also don't see kill messages from teammates. I wish there was an option to turn off kill messages completely.

Edit: Also, I guess my mind has blocked out all of the Holocaust deniers and people yelling "Siegheil!" unironically. A video game isn't the place for you to talk about how much you hate jews, joke or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

TychoCelchuuu posted:

You can't argue that Tripwire sucks for making RO more action-y, and a post later argue that Tripwire sucks for making a mode just like the old RO... because no one likes the old RO

I think we should do a classic mode event this weekend

• Locked thread