Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Yep.

Say, does anyone know if the small relics from the cathedral do anything except make me a filthy robber?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrhotdogvendor
May 28, 2006
very tired hispanic
I hate rogue like games but I'm really enjoying this. Everyone should give it a try! Also try and avoid anything but the normal zombie until you get a decent weapon and don't walk towards military out posts that have SMG turrents all over, they turn you into Swiss cheese.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I just raided a town and a nearby lab for ammonia and bleach. Butchered me some zombies and now I have two gallon jugs full of mutagen. Uglification time! :getin:

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?
When I use the new Goon DDA, I don't have any font, like at all. In an attempt to fix it, I installed the provided fonts into my windows font folder, to no avail.

Edit: I just added the fontdata + termfont from an older version and it now works, whatever

TheSpartacus fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 8, 2013

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

Anticheese posted:

Yep.

Say, does anyone know if the small relics from the cathedral do anything except make me a filthy robber?

I know that they are a type of clothing but that's it!

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
what do I need in order to craft a pot or water boiling apparatus of some kind?

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Cosmik Debris posted:

I've found a frying pan in a sporting goods store once. Also, make sure you have an empty bottle before you boil water, since you need something to transfer the clean water to, and I haven't figured out how to empty a container on the ground.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I believe for a stone pot you need some cooking skill, maybe one point, and survival 2. Though you'll also need a hammer and either a bunch of sinew/thread or a long string.

To empty, wield an item and hit capital U to unload. I recommend using a gallon jug for holding potable water because everyone else is too small and too annoying to deal with.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Cosmik Debris posted:

Cooking & Survival, Difficulty: 2
hammer OR stone hammer OR integrated toolset
3x rock
1x string 3 ft OR 80x (sinew OR plant fibre)

http://www.wiki.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?title=Crafting

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
Ah sorry, I checked the entries on pots and didn't see anything on how they were made. Thanks!

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Another DDA improvement is context menus in the inventory. Most of the weird poo poo that you can do to items is now accomplishable b opening the inventory, hitting the item's key, and seeing what's available.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Anticheese posted:

Edit: Regarding zombie dogs, it looks like they can bash down doors. Such a lazy swap.

Yeah, they should be named something more appropriate for what they're capable of, like "Hell-Hound".

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Oh man. Garages have massive steel doors that can't be bashed down operated by winches.

I'm going to burn this town down around this garage and put a bunch of walls and landmines by the only other entrance.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Also how do people deal with volume limitations? Wearing backpacks and stuff as well as clothing causes encumberment penalties, which are a nasty blow to dodge and melee. I know that probably doesn't matter much when you've got reliable ranged weapons, but all I've got right now is my crowbar, so it kinda sucks.
First, I always, always, always take packmule. +30% volume is a godsend.

Second, you gotta pick clothing that gives you the most bang for your buck, and that can be fitted to reduce the encumbrance penalty. That means trenchcoats on the torso and cargo pants (or army pants, if and when you can find them) on the legs - if you can get your hands on both, that gives you enough room to function, at least, though not enough to carry around everything you might ever want. A fitted trenchcoat plus a fitted set of underarmor results in -1 chest encumbrance, which is quite nice - but if you really need the room, you can toss on a utility vest or belt rig as well, resulting in 0 chest encumbrance and a significant boost to carrying capacity.

Keep an eye out as well for holsters and fanny packs - you can wear two of each, and they provide a little bit of additional storage space without encumbering you at all.

Me, I basically always end up running around in a gas mask, army helmet, trenchcoat, army pants, leather gloves, and all the holsters I can find...essentially one of these guys, less the chestplate.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 8, 2013

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

Why are wolf spiders so deadly? I've had several characters who can clear out most of a town of zombies be completely taken down by a single wolf spider.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah I managed to scrounge up a trench and cargo shorts, also got a messenger bag which is 0 encumbrance.

Are plastic bags useful for anything? I noticed there was a crafting formula to bundle 10 together for some reason. Also is there a way to STOP reading? I tried to read a first aid book and my guy just read for hours until spotting a spider stopped him.

[edit] Any semi-reliable places to find ammo besides gun stores and military places? Do police stations carry ammo? I got a shotgun, but nothing to put in it.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 8, 2013

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Cosmik Debris posted:

Why are wolf spiders so deadly? I've had several characters who can clear out most of a town of zombies be completely taken down by a single wolf spider.
It's very difficult to shoot them, they have decent armor (I believe), and they have poison. All told, a nasty critter to face, until you're very capable.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

[edit] Any semi-reliable places to find ammo besides gun stores and military places? Do police stations carry ammo? I got a shotgun, but nothing to put in it.
No. The only ammo you can get at all reliably is 9mm, from destroyed turrets. Everything else is extremely rare, and cannot be relied upon to kill most things you face as you will inevitably run out.

edit: Oh, man, packmule is actually +40% volume, that's right. Best trait ever.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 8, 2013

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I don't think torso encumbrance matters as much to a ranged character. At least, I was running around with a military rucksack and a backpack on and I didn't have much trouble.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Vengarr posted:

I don't think torso encumbrance matters as much to a ranged character. At least, I was running around with a military rucksack and a backpack on and I didn't have much trouble.
Yeah, it penalizes melee and dodge skill, and increases the time taken for melee attacks. If you're not attacking or being attacked in melee, the penalties for torso encumbrance are likely meaningless to you.

If you ARE attacking in melee, though, they're pretty nasty.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Are plastic bags useful for anything? I noticed there was a crafting formula to bundle 10 together for some reason. Also is there a way to STOP reading? I tried to read a first aid book and my guy just read for hours until spotting a spider stopped him.
If you say "no" to the "study whatever" prompt, your character will only read one improvement step at a time instead of until his skill level goes up.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Labs. Labs have a chance to spawn one or more armories on each of their levels. They're chock full of guns, ammo, addons, military equipment and healing items. The only downside is that you will need a way to destroy or bypass metal doors and reinforced glass walls. Once you do you're basically set, though. One lab can contain enough ammunition to last your character a whole game.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

Labs. Labs have a chance to spawn one or more armories on each of their levels. They're chock full of guns, ammo, addons, military equipment and healing items. The only downside is that you will need a way to destroy or bypass metal doors and reinforced glass walls. Once you do you're basically set, though. One lab can contain enough ammunition to last your character a whole game.
What, seriously? I broke into one of those and didn't find...anything, except a couple soldiers. Some bottled water. That was about it.

edit: Now that I think about it, fast learner is really, really good, since it's +15 to focus rather than +15%. That means that when you're involved in one of those long, drawn-out fights that drops your focus down to the 20s or 30s, you're actually learning between 50% and 100% faster.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 8, 2013

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Is anyone else having font issues out of the box for GDA?

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Also is there a way to STOP reading? I tried to read a first aid book and my guy just read for hours until spotting a spider stopped him.

'.' will stop reading.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

What, seriously? I broke into one of those and didn't find...anything, except a couple soldiers. Some bottled water. That was about it.
Bad luck on your part. Raiding those things is usually point one on my to-do list when I start a new character.

[edit]
Here's a screenshot of what I mean:

The lab level I'm on has three of those.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 8, 2013

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
It's always a crapshoot with me whether or not I can get a reliable source of water. Then if I do manage it I usually get YASD. Vehicle physics argh

Also, what's the deal with electric cars? They need to be fed batteries to work? Or, if they have solar panels + storage batteries, do you just need to wait around while it's sunny? Because I keep coming on solar panel+storage battery cars with 0 or 2% charge which doesn't make much sense, and if I use them they don't seem to actually regenerate.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

Bad luck on your part. Raiding those things is usually point one on my to-do list when I start a new character.
Huh. And here I shrugged it off as another of the largely-useless rooms that science labs have to offer.

Riolith
Dec 24, 2005
The Quiescent

Elth posted:

I've found a frying pan in a sporting goods store once. Also, make sure you have an empty bottle before you boil water, since you need something to transfer the clean water to, and I haven't figured out how to empty a container on the ground.

If you want to pour something on the ground; after you "U"nload it and it pops up your inventory, just hit escape and it should ask if you want to just dump it on the ground.

On the topic of torso encumbrance, find some under armor and fit it for -1 encumbrance. Why wearing some skin tight shirt is better than no shirt at all we may never know.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

Phobeste posted:

It's always a crapshoot with me whether or not I can get a reliable source of water. Then if I do manage it I usually get YASD. Vehicle physics argh

1 point in electronics lets you make a purifier. Just get the biggest container you can find, fill it at a toilet (which apparently holds enough water to fill a steel drum), then purify it all at once.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

If you set up a funnel (like a trap) outside your base, you can fill containers with water when it rains. You can even do acid water. In the old thread I think it was mentioned you can boil the acid water into more concentrated acid, and then use the acid, tin cans, and scrap metal to make batteries!

Riolith
Dec 24, 2005
The Quiescent
Ok, I am still using GoonDA 0.1 and at some point in time bears went from maybe 1 in 5 shooting an SMG at me to Every. Single. One. Do only some bears spawn with SMGs and I am unlucky? Or did all bears have SMGs and the ones I am running into are just dicks?

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

I just raided a town and a nearby lab for ammonia and bleach. Butchered me some zombies and now I have two gallon jugs full of mutagen. Uglification time! :getin:

Hang on. :psyduck: Am I just reading this wrong, or can you actually make mutagen from ammonia, bleach and zombie bits?

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Kuntz posted:

Hang on. :psyduck: Am I just reading this wrong, or can you actually make mutagen from ammonia, bleach and zombie bits?

Yeah. You need a certain level of Cooking, though I can't remember exactly what level. You can make Purifier as well so you can make stuff to hulk out and stuff to undo any hulkification you don't want.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Hah my new game spawned me in an evac shelter in the middle of a giant city. I can see all sorts of zombie pals from my starting square! This is going to be a fun one (genuinely).

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Stupid question probably but I can't find the answer anywhere. How do I remove items from a fixed container such as a dresser?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

"e" and then the direction of the container.

[edit] fixed, I am stupid.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 9, 2013

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Marenghi posted:

Stupid question probably but I can't find the answer anywhere. How do I remove items from a fixed container such as a dresser?

'e' then the direction of the container in relation to you.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is nail guns. They are zombie killer A #1. They have crap range and horrible damage, but they're pretty dang silent. Ammo for them is literally everywhere as well, burning down a single house can easily net you in excess of a 1000 nails, so you can go full auto all over every bodies faces. It also trains up your firearms skill.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 9, 2013

Sudoku
Jul 18, 2009
Is there a way to just automagically grind skills up without having to actually grind it myself? I'd like to get things like throwing, computers, and some other poo poo I can train with a thousand keypresses done without actually having to do the boring thousand keypresses.

Jon93 posted:

Welcome to the gently caress Archery Future!
"gently caress Archery" is right, they're not worth the effort to use at this point.

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!
Labs seem to be quite variable. The first one I went into I didn't find much useful beyond bandages (though they're always nice to have).

My second lab I found about 30 CBMs, including literally every single type of power generation. I now have an ethanol burner, joint torsion ratchet, metabolic interchange, internal furnace and battery system with a power capacity of about 100. Also have air filtration, climate control, internal storage, finger laser, cranial flashlight, mini flamethrower hydraulic muscles and alarm system. Also found plenty of mutagen and purifier, since I have robust metabolism I've been drinking every bit of mutagen I can find. I have Road Runner and Insect Wings which means I'm absurdly fast on foot now.

I'd like to find an easier way to kill turrets though, getting in to gun fights with them works but costs a fair bit of health. I killed one in one shot in melee range but of course the explosion took a fair chunk of health as well.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
A bug killed my ultimate post-apocalyptic badass walking out of car a 0kp/h, so now I started a character with no starting skills and just really high stats, quick and robust genetics.

Getting a melee character started is certainly harder than abusing archery, so now I have an evac shelter with boarded windows, an indoors wood-stove and a make shift bed. Gonna take it slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Anyone know why my lighting looks like this in the morning after sunrise?

[edit] Its almost like some tiles are acting like light sources when they shouldn't.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 9, 2013