Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
We left 10 R votes sitting on the floor. Unfortunate, but Asherah waits in the shadowy depths of Og's psyche, waiting to breach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Theglavwen posted:

Rising sea levels just means more beach front property! Don't you like beaches!?

Serious-talk: curious for the "anti-turning-to-gods" crowd, why no votes for Not-J Not-I? Instead of just Not-J x2?

Serious talk, can we just ban "not-X" votes altogether? Or find a way to make votes secret somehow? This current trend of explicitly shifting around votes in reaction to other players' votes is getting way out of hand. We should be voting for ideas we like, not explicitly tossing votes to block others. This round in particular was terrible--there were precisely zero interesting ideas produced with all the pissing over each others' votes and strategic re-voting. Especially when the contention was over something likely to play out exactly the same either way. (How many times have we prayed in this CYOA? Quite a lot. And how many times has something actually happened as a result? That's right, zero.) If the game is already this badly divided it's only going to get worse when we have to make decisions that are actually important at this rate.

Can we find a way to rein this poo poo in people? Please?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe no vote changing, at least. Some way to make the vote secret might be ok, but I can't think of an easy way to do it. And it would be hard to enforce in the thread.

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!
I really, really dislike the "Not this" voting system as well. Everyone just swaps to whatever they dislike when their chosen vote isn't winning. It's really not very fun to vote the way things are.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Its almost like this thread needs a permanent security council.

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.

RandomPauI posted:

one representative from team el, one from team asherah, and one from team boredom safety first (to be ignored by the other two).

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

RandomPauI posted:

I volunteer to be the France.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Voting Not-Not-Not Votes.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I volunteer to represent team boredom. Luckily, this comment will be ignored.

Our platform is to take the safest possible option available. Always. No matter what else might be interesting, we will just always, always make the same boring choice. Our belief is that we have been incarnated into a Hobbsian world wherein life is 'short, mean, and brutish'. Danger is abundant. Apparently all we have to do is sit still someplace. To vote the Boring platform it is not necessary to believe in such theological fineries, you need only always vote the boring option.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Why don't we use one of those poll/survey sites or something? Votes would be irrevocable and hidden. Plus it would be easier to tally.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Dibs on joining as The Republic of China (Taiwan)

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I shall be 'merica, or All El, All the Time.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Genpei Turtle posted:

Serious talk, can we just ban "not-X" votes altogether? Or find a way to make votes secret somehow? This current trend of explicitly shifting around votes in reaction to other players' votes is getting way out of hand. We should be voting for ideas we like, not explicitly tossing votes to block others. This round in particular was terrible--there were precisely zero interesting ideas produced with all the pissing over each others' votes and strategic re-voting. Especially when the contention was over something likely to play out exactly the same either way. (How many times have we prayed in this CYOA? Quite a lot. And how many times has something actually happened as a result? That's right, zero.) If the game is already this badly divided it's only going to get worse when we have to make decisions that are actually important at this rate.

Can we find a way to rein this poo poo in people? Please?

Aye, I'd really like to agree. I hate this meta-process of voting against other votes instead of for a specific idea. Switching and gaming votes just to counter other popular ones that you don't personally like feels sour. That being said, I unfortunately don't think we ought to get rid of them all together, as there seems to be some legitimacy in saying "I don't particularly care which of these does happen, I just don't want x to happen." Instead of putting your vote in a pool of things that are all alright, you ensure that your vote applies pressure in the way that you want it to, towards or away from a sort of general theme.

I don't know, I still don't like it though. I'd much rather people just let their votes speak in a positive sense, I mean, if all those negative votes had gone to F or I or whatnot, then it would have won anyway, so why not just do that? And if the would-be-negative votes can't reach a consensus on what they would like to support, well that does sort of indicate that nothing else had quite as much support. But then I suppose it could be argued that negative votes might work as a sort of thematic vote; perhaps there's no consensus on which pro-El, for example, vote is the best, but there is a pro-El, or rather anti-Asherah, majority none-the-less, represented by negative votes.

But then we'd enter into the question of whether or not a bunch of 'weak' votes for a theme should outweigh a 'strong' voice for a single course of action. It seems to go back and forth, and this has ended up more rambly and musing than I meant it to.

Frankly, I'd just rather people vote what they really think ought to happen, and go with it, regardless; people meta-voting back and forth just seems silly and counter-productive, it just polarizes votes into stagnant camps, focusing people on what they don't want rather than what they do, and stunting the development of interesting ideas or desired paths of action and character development. I know I flopped around on that vote, but I typically try to just suggest what I think is really the most in character move, hopefully an interesting one, in the hopes of progressing a consistent character, rather than a bundle of random psychotic votes.

Ah well, I'm just glad I'm not the one who has to count them up. Doesn't seem to be one 'best' way to go about it, mileage varies and all that.

Edit: I still wish we'd climbed a tree. Proactive, self-reliant, resourceful, practical (unless there are monsters in the branches). Of course, we never learned how to climb trees, and even if it had gotten going, we probably would have had a dozen negative votes from people worried we'd fall and break our neck.

Theglavwen fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 9, 2013

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Danal grips your hand, tears up and begining to cry.

You kneel, place a hand on his shoulder and try to force a smile, despite the dread of your situation. You tap your own chest once and say "Enkidu". You tap his chest once and say in a questioning tone "Labaras?"

He shakes his head. You say it again, this time with more certainty. "Labaras" you say. Danal sniffles and nods and says something in the Outlander tongue which you don't understand, it might be a question, perhaps, "how do we get back?" or maybe something else entirely.

You kneel, bow your head and ask El to show you the way back. Danal, seeing what you have done, does the same, kneels and prays.

When you finish and stand, the sound of distant creatures seems... more distant and the chorus of the birds and insects seems a bit quieter. Has El sent the monsters further away, or does it simply seem so because you are calmer and not jumping at shadows?

If you had hoped for a message from heaven or a flaming hand in the sky to point the way, neither happens.

You are still stranded and lost in the forest. It is summer and even at night, here, it is warm so there is little risk you will freeze, but there may be other dangers...

You...

Pick ONE only.

OPTION A. Go East.

OPTION B. Go South.

OPTION C. Go North.

OPTION D. Go West.

OPTION E. Close your eyes and try to concentrate, to see if you can remember any hints on which way to go.

OPTION F. [REMOVED - Picked last time]

OPTION G. Yell for help.

OPTION H. Also cry because you are afraid!

OPTION I. [REMOVED - Picked last time]

OPTION J. Pray to Asherah for help.

OPTION K. Pray to Labaras for help.

OPTION L. Pray to Enkidu for help.

OPTION M. Climb a tree and see if that gives you any hints on where to go

OPTION N. Wait till dawn and try to hide in a bush with Danal, to hide from monsters

OPTION O. Climb a tree and carry Danal up, to hide from monsters

OPTION P. [Removed in the last round]

OPTION Q. [Removed in the last round]

OPTION R. Cut your palm with the giant tooth and rub it on your sea-shell necklace and make your very, very, very best guess at a divining ritual you saw your father do. You truly have no idea how he did it and will essentially be guessing, but, it might work!

OPTION S. Sacrifice Danal to Asherah to pray for protection and guidance

OPTION T. Yell out that you are Enkidu to scare away monsters!

OPTION U. You are not lost. You are HEROES looking for the magical club Sharur! Communicate this to Danal as best you can and keep playing!

OPTION V. Something else - Specify

Question 2: There was some chatter on IRC and some posts both in favor and against "not" votes. I think they are a good idea your actions should be the best consensus you can all form, between yourselves. The not votes allow that. We will take a vote on it, the winning view from this vote will decide, though if we ban Not votes, they may still come up, as specific options, rarely in a handful of votes when it makes sense. I am concerned that without them, your actions may swing wildly vote to vote and sometimes, in ways which push past plausibility, but, it is up to you.

Do you want Not votes in the game?

YES
NO

Diogines fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 9, 2013

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
T, then O.

NO NOT VOTES.

tarepanda fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 9, 2013

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
and

Changed from E to O.

Raserys fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 9, 2013

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.
1. We can do one of two thing here, as I see it: we can either turn around and go back to cry at camp, or we can be goddamn heroes and go on an adventure. We're going to get in some poo poo for this, we might as well make the most of it!

2. Not-Votes, together with the whole El-Asherah split, are making this game really adversarial.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

tarepanda posted:

T, then O.

Only one pick this time.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Hmm...guess we don't have enough pull with The Big Guy yet.

I think it's time to put the God squabbling aside for a moment and climb the tree. O. We'll get to avoid most ground critters AND maybe see where the heck we are. We're both abnormally tall, so it shouldn't be that hard to get up fairly high.

Question 2:

Eh, a Not vote is handy when you don't really like any of the options, so Imma gunna say we keep it for now. Maybe we should have a gentleman's agreement to indulge in it a wee bit less though? Out of pity for the poor vote counters if nothing else.

Yes. Keep the not votes.

EDIT: Looks like I actually want to do a combination of M and O. I'll go for O though, since I'd rather not leave Danal alone while we go climbing. Changed my vote to O. p

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jun 9, 2013

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Actually going anywhere seems like a bad idea that will get us lost some more. Danal is pretty calm, and yelling seems like it could go either way.

Option O, we'll take Danal up a tree with us to keep us safe from any wildlife. While we're up there, look around for any clues as to where we are. There's a campfire burning and it should be pretty visible provided we didn't wander THAT far off.

Also Yes to the No votes.

Khris Kruel
Nov 5, 2003

Ask me about being a SJW in EE and working to make anyone who disagrees with me a villain and gets no opportunity to defend themselves at all because my army or sycophants I buy off with pixels follows me blindly.

Vote: M

Lets not put our trust in sketchy prayer and do something productive.

also no for not votes

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

was M. But I want to look around to find where we are when we take Danal up the tree.

Consider the situation, get the lay of the land, and consider a course of action. We have prayed to El, and he has calmed the beasts of the forest for our passage. We cannot be far from our camp and can find it with a bit of luck.

If we cannot find a proper path, we should climb a tree with Danal and simply wait for morning.

Also, I'm fine with not-voting. We pretty clearly had a majority of people not wanting to do anything with Asherah, and the not votes represent that. Otherwise we try to pull in even more strategic voting as anti-Asherah voters are forced to jump on whatever seems most likely to outweigh the Asherah options. Besides, it was the double voting of people that lead to such a weird vote last time, not the not-votes.

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 9, 2013

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

I'm tired of the sacrificial voters, so I am voting for it this time. S. Let Danal stare into our eyes as we plunge our shark tooth into him. Let him see the failure of El as he slowly bleeds out into the dirt/sand and make sure he suffers before he is devoured fully by our one true fish god.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

E

No.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Not Yes.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
E and YES

We calmed Danal down, the forest has gotten quieter - no better time to just stop and think for a minute.

Yes to leaving in not votes - in my humble opinion, the problem seems to be people switching just prior to the polls closing since their choice hasn't panned out - an easy way to fix it might be to leave when the polls are closing a little more vague so people can't jump ship at the last second.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

We're going up to look for the campfire or other clues, not necessarily to hide from anything. But this is the option that includes taking Danal up, and we have to stick together.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

New spreadsheet.

My vote:

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 9, 2013

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Changed to O from M, because Danal needs to be safe.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Er....something just occurred to me. The forest may well have gotten quieter because a Big Bag Thing is in the vicinity and smacking its lips.

Yeah. I'm thinking we need to get up that tree now.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
1:E

2:Yes.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

FoxTerrier posted:

Er....something just occurred to me. The forest may well have gotten quieter because a Big Bag Thing is in the vicinity and smacking its lips.

That's probably for the best. Changed my vote from E to O.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
You guys voting for M should switch to O. Leaving a small child alone on the ground while we gallivant up a tree is just asking for trouble.

Lanky Coconut Tree fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 9, 2013

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

You guys voting for O should switch to M. Leaving a small child alone on the ground while we gallivant up a tree is just asking for trouble.

You got those two reversed, mate. M is "Climb up a tree", O is "climb up a tree and carry Danal up".

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

O but stick Danal on a low branch and continue to the top to see.
Carrying someone up a tree is not exactly easy and we don't want us both falling out.

No more Not-votes.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

J - El didn't give us a reply, so time to try the other god we worship. If possibe, include cutting ourself, since we know that that's part of getting his attention through prayer.

No not votes, unless Diogines mandated.

Maybe be allowed to vote down ideas but not specific A, B etc choices?, I don't know, it shouldn't matter anyway should it? The most popular vote should still win, as opposed to people concentrating just on trying to make certain votes lose.

e: forest creatures usually quiet down when people are close by don't they?

ee: Vote changed to R, the cutting with the tooth is what I was after.

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jun 9, 2013

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Option O.

And Yes.

Grognan fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 9, 2013

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

M.
The Creator gave us cognizance and we would be wasting it if we didn't use it to its potential. We're seemingly not in immanent danger so let's get a birds-eye view to see if we can find smoke from our fire.

Diogines posted:

One of the men is sitting by the fire, asleep. No one else seems to be awake.
Yea, there's a fire going.

I'm okay with not votes. Keep em in.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.

FoxTerrier posted:

I feel like we're more likely to hurt ourselves and/or Danal from falling out of the tree at this point than by whatever big bad may or may not be around. We've got our spear ready if anything shows up - if something does attack and that fails to protect us, then I'm all for making GBS threads our pants and scrambling up the tree if need be at that point.

If we climb that tree and fall out and break something right now though, we're screwed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

You guys voting for O should switch to M. Leaving a small child alone on the ground while we gallivant up a tree is just asking for trouble.

You guys are acting like we are letting the child Danal live. Vote S. and end this once and for all.