Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

FoxTerrier posted:

Er....something just occurred to me. The forest may well have gotten quieter because a Big Bag Thing is in the vicinity and smacking its lips.

Yeah. I'm thinking we need to get up that tree now.

Slender Man is coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
F was picked last time, not D, Diogines.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

O and no to not votes

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
O/Yes to No Votes

Let's just go up the tree for now. Maybe we'll get another chance at this list and can cut ourselves up there, and even if we have to leave the spear behind we have the tooth.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
R and Yes to Not votes.

El has answered somewhat, so now it's time to contact our other patron.

I think that the Not votes give options to anyone who otherwise doesn't feel strongly for any one particular vote. There aren't always going to be options that everyone wants to go for, but there will always be plans that just won't work for some.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

There was an issue with option D/E/F, now fixed. Please double check your votes if you picked one of them.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
O El helps those who help themselves. Does O really preclude M though?

Yes to no votes. We have a pretty sizeable corpse of Asherah devotees, the problem for the rest of us is that we don't usually agree on the alternative vote.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

S

No to No votes

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I just assumed that O was M, but also bringing up Danal.

At this point it's clear El isn't sitting waiting to leap to our aid. Let's get up the tree and take account of things. I still thing Asherah is the path we need to take, but let's help ourselves, as a previous poster said.

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006
Enough faffing about. Asherah is not a kind god, he demands offerings. Give him our blood that he might show us the way. R!
Also, Yes to the no votes.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Climb the Tree (O), and keep the not vote (YES)

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Eh...actually, I reconsidered. Changing my second vote to NO, don't keep the not votes. It's more trouble than it's worth.

BeefSupreme
Sep 14, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Oh gently caress no

Angela Christine posted:

Slender Man is coming.

Let's just quit now. It's as good as over.

But really. O and no not-(x) votes. That's just annoying metagaming. Vote for what you like. (Use google forms?)

Edit: Changed to a yes vote and option T.

BeefSupreme fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jun 9, 2013

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

dyzzy posted:

Yes to no votes. We have a pretty sizeable corpse of Asherah devotees, the problem for the rest of us is that we don't usually agree on the alternative vote.

Well that's the problem, isn't it? Whichever idea gets the most votes, whatever that is, should win. There's nothing that intrinsically makes the Asherah devotees more unified than the El devotees. If the Asherah devotees come up with a unified plan that the El devotees don't like, then the El devotees need to get their poo poo together and come up with a plan that they agree on, not just vote against the other group because they can't come up with anything. Same thing goes if the El faction comes up with a unified plan.

This is why FPTP voting sucks. We need some sort of proportional voting system. :v:

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I think that whatever best reflects the feelings of the voters should win, not limiting to one arbitrary option. The Not-Votes reflect that, because without it, it just forces people to vote for the farthest ahead option to stop "EAT BABY, CUT SELF WITH SHARK TOOTH" from winning.

And considering that there are usually 7+ El/Neutral options and 1 Asherah option, of course the one Asherah option is always going to garner the most voters. Saying "well it's up to YOU to think of something better" is silly in my opinion.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Genpei Turtle posted:

Well that's the problem, isn't it? Whichever idea gets the most votes, whatever that is, should win. There's nothing that intrinsically makes the Asherah devotees more unified than the El devotees. If the Asherah devotees come up with a unified plan that the El devotees don't like, then the El devotees need to get their poo poo together and come up with a plan that they agree on, not just vote against the other group because they can't come up with anything. Same thing goes if the El faction comes up with a unified plan.

No, sorry, there is something that is intrinsically there in several votes. There are only one or two choices in each vote for something pro-Asherah, whereas there are either more pro-El choices, or choices El voters are prone to vote for such as generally not being insanely hostile to the king and everyone around us.

However, it has been made extremely clear that the majority of the thread isn't particularly interested in pursuing Asherah worship at this point. And if we're going to talk meta-gaming votes, let's look at the swarm of pro-Asherah voters deciding to double-vote J last time to try to force a single pro-Asherah result. Of course, that doesn't really matter, as there's nothing intrinsically wrong in deciding to try to metagame stuff.

Basically, the not votes better represent what the thread actually wants.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
Can we not take Danal up the tree with us while we look around?

Anyway, voting M and No. Definitely time to get up a tree, hopefully we can take Danal with us too, but if not, I'm sure he'll be okay for a minute or two.

And No just to keep things from being more adversarial, people targetting other votes and voters is as lame as people voting for inappropriate responses just because they're bitter about losing previously.

There might be something, as has been said, to the idea that not-votes allow for a representation of a more general sentiment, when one option can't be decided on across multiple categories, but I'm more prone to say that if Og, as suggested by our votes, has a mild inclination towards doing A, or B, or C, but none in general, but a large inclination towards a decisive choice, D, then he ought to go with that one. 3/5ths of him might be inclined to a peaceful sort of sentiment in general, but that caves in a specific instance when 2/5ths of him is strongly in favour of a specific aggressive response, i.e., he might be inclined in general to be 'nice', but occassionally sees the necessity in being 'mean' in particular instances.

I'm not really sure if it's correct saying that there are more pro-El or pro-El-ish choices than Asherah, that's making the assumption that the choices involving not being massively hostile or an rear end in a top hat are El-centric. It's entirely possible to follow Asherah and still be calm and reasonable, we were doing it most of our life after all.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
O goes up the tree with Danal.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Most of the solid Asherah voters also want to engage in murder of our only friend as well. So yeah, without the Not votes a strongly vocal minority is potentially going to make some decisions where the majority is split between a few votes.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Most of the solid Asherah voters also want to engage in murder of our only friend as well. So yeah, without the Not votes a strongly vocal minority is potentially going to make some decisions where the majority is split between a few votes.

Basically this. I don't see a reason to not allow not votes. A somewhat adversarial thread is not necessarily bad either.

If we don't allow not votes anymore, then I suggest we have a vote once and for all on what god we worship, until new gods surface.

eta: Actually I think holding this vote would actually be a really good idea either way, just to stop this factionalism that is forming, assuming we want to actually do that.

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 9, 2013

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
O and Yes (keep not votes).

When we climb the tree let's not make a blunder and have our only friend fall and skewer himself on our spear.

Maybe stab the spear into the bark near an area we plan on resting while also being easy to retrieve. Then get our BFF up and safe and finaly ourselves. Once we all are there we can retrieve the spear and then spin him a yarn about spear techniques or whatever we can translate. Just got to keep him calm and interested so he does not fidget and fall.

Hopefully we can spot that big fire. And not get our mother and god-king mad for our secret adventure.

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.
E: Let's see if we've been paying attention to where we've been going

Yes: Keep the Not votes

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
E and m

The only one who can help you is you.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

SerSpook posted:

Basically this. I don't see a reason to not allow not votes. A somewhat adversarial thread is not necessarily bad either.

If we don't allow not votes anymore, then I suggest we have a vote once and for all on what god we worship, until new gods surface.

eta: Actually I think holding this vote would actually be a really good idea either way, just to stop this factionalism that is forming, assuming we want to actually do that.

I don't see why we would want to do this. Kid's confused and not from an especially monotheistic society. Sure, Asherah is the head deity, but we venerate all the big fish's kids too.

So no, I don't see a good reason to limit ourselves to one path or the other. You guys can be the part of Enkidel who's down with El, and our vocal minority of Asherah believers will be the part of Og who still remembers the old ways.

As far as my vote, your El has failed Enkidel...it's time for Og to use the old magics the way Dad taught us.

and

OrangeOrbit
Apr 27, 2008
Fun Shoe
I'm sure this has been discussed and discarded in IRC, but why not make not votes worth half? It would give people the ability to keep down voting, but encourage voting for another option to beat the lead instead. Just a thought.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
E

Upon consideration I feel this is the appropriate boring option. It would be in poor taste to just go down the names of gods as if they were a shopping list. The boring choice is for keeping our heads. See what we can sense. Also E does not require moving, which might incur too much excitement and risk.

Yes to No votes. In the absence of the No vote, No votes can't be eliminated. Therefore yes to no votes.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jun 9, 2013

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009
climb the tree with Danal, keep the no votes

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

U and No.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

WhiteOutMouse posted:

O and Yes (keep not votes).

When we climb the tree let's not make a blunder and have our only friend fall and skewer himself on our spear.

Maybe stab the spear into the bark near an area we plan on resting while also being easy to retrieve. Then get our BFF up and safe and finaly ourselves. Once we all are there we can retrieve the spear and then spin him a yarn about spear techniques or whatever we can translate. Just got to keep him calm and interested so he does not fidget and fall.

Hopefully we can spot that big fire. And not get our mother and god-king mad for our secret adventure.

This is a good point. Have Danal climb up onto our back, he holds the spear POINTING DOWNWARDS, then we can get us both up with the spear. Or leave the spear embedded in the ground.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Your God is worthless, El voters! You should vote R for more powerful Gods!

Also, gently caress No votes

BeefSupreme
Sep 14, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
You know what, screw it. Changing my vote--you all convinced me. Yes to not-votes. And option T: yell out that we are Enkidu. Bellow at the top of our lungs. Make it known to the forest that we are not to be messed with.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
and lets keep not-votes.

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

B and not yes.

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
N and No

Random Idiot
Mar 15, 2001
When gods won't help, it's time to help yourself. Og isn't forest savvy and trying to climb a tree while carrying someone nearly as large as you are is a good way to seriously injure both of you. Yelling will probably scare off some wildlife but may attract the apex predator of the area. The serious choice for the best thing to do when lost in the woods is stay put and not end up even more lost, and not try any dangerous stunts that could leave you lost AND hurt.

So if you want the safe, boring choice, the best vote is for N, not O. I vote for U because Og doesn't know any of that poo poo either. In for a penny in for a pound bitches. Besides all that, the king's entourage had to have someone on night watch unless he's literally the worst leader on the face of the planet. Two kids stomping through the woods leaves a pretty decent trail if any of them are trackers.

As for not votes, I don't really like them. If you can't be assed to form a strong opinion on what to do, being able to hamstring the people that can seems petty. No to not votes. Hell no to onegod votes too. The only reason that was even proposed is because for the time being there is an El majority. In due time when people see the true colors of El society, fishgod will have his chance to shine.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
R and 'No to no voting' We can't know Ashera will/has abandoned us unless we attempt to pray to him in the proper manner. If we can't pray to Ashera alone in the middle of the forest in the middle of night while no one (besides Danal) is watching; then we never will. There isn't going to be a better time to pray to Ashera.

You 'El voters' should consider 'R' as an option if only because if it doesn't work; then Ashera voters will have less reason to vote Ashera in the future. (Hey, remember that time we needed help and Ashera wasn't there for us? At least El made the sounds of the wild animals softer...etc)

As for explaining away the cut, we're 11, things happen. We can twist it into a buddy-buddy secret with our friend Danal to make our friendship closer.

Tyromancer
Sep 2, 2011

Eglamore looks pretty different.
Voting R and Yes. Time to get our magic going!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
We're poo poo at climbing stuff.

ADVENTURE TIME! (U)

Yes to the No votes.

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!
and

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Raserys posted:

I think that whatever best reflects the feelings of the voters should win, not limiting to one arbitrary option. The Not-Votes reflect that, because without it, it just forces people to vote for the farthest ahead option to stop "EAT BABY, CUT SELF WITH SHARK TOOTH" from winning.

And considering that there are usually 7+ El/Neutral options and 1 Asherah option, of course the one Asherah option is always going to garner the most voters. Saying "well it's up to YOU to think of something better" is silly in my opinion.

I think this is a very good point and well stated. If you guys want no more no-votes, we will get rid of them but I think they are useful to build consensus. Your actions will ultimately be decided by your collective will, I think that can be built as much by rejecting the options you really don't like, as much as it is by picking the ones you do.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jun 9, 2013