Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah I just noticed it as well in the latest nightly build. I assume it's a bug, I saw some other strange issues with lighting such as the world going completely black and than lighting up a turn after.

I think they might be tinkering with lighting and weather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

How exactly does addiction work? I'm pretty sure either the formula listed on the wiki page for addiction is wrong or the listed amount of addiction the chain smoker starts with is wrong, since the nicotine cravings have lasted into the night of the first day when a level 20 addiction should clear up and stop giving symptoms after only 5 hours and 20 minutes (listed addiction you start with as a chain smoker is only 10 by comparison and I'm still in nicotine withdrawal after 12 hours and 30 minutes [no, I'm sure I didn't smoke any cigarettes in that time]). It also doesn't say how the game deals with odd levels of addiction like 25 - once 2500 turns pass, does the game round 12.5 up to 13 before subtracting 1 for a result of 12 or round down to 12 before subtracting 1 for a result of 11?

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Sudoku posted:

"gently caress Archery" is right, they're not worth the effort to use at this point.

0.30 Retracts some previous archery user loving. I played a few characters today with the changes and had 0 fun, which is the exact opposite of what GDA is meant to be!

Currently letting 0.3 marinade in repo fixes and whatever else I can jam into it before release. Let's say around E3 time Monday I'll push it out. I can get some work done in the down time between press conferences.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I think they might be tinkering with lighting and weather.

Yeah they are and it's pretty freaking neat what they're trying to do. GDA has some of that stuff disabled though.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
I just found my first suit of power armor... And I can't use a backpack or anything with it? How do you carry anything around when you have power armor?

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
There are a couple things you can hook onto power armor. Carrying things: power armor hauling frame (150? volume).

http://i.imgur.com/LORMRT6.png
Enigma of Amigara Fault reference but I don't seem to be able to do anything except make distant explosions and shake the place.

http://i.imgur.com/ANqns63.png oh

Smarmy Coworker fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 9, 2013

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

I just started playing. I made an illiterate (for the extra points) lab tech (for the free gear with tons of storage) and looted the neighborhood of tons of canned goods and pills. Zombies started spawning in, so I smashed one with a pipe, and he was carrying an axe. Awesome! So I chop a couple up and figure it's time to make a break for it. Of course, I get lost in the woods for hours, stumble upon a hotel full of zombies where I unwisely go into a closet with a zombie right behind me, and find out that they can bash down doors.

With a little luck, I manage to escape, run for my life away from the zombie hotel, and completely on accident, end up at my starting bunker again. So it's 9PM now and I figure now is as good a time as any to go to bed. So I pop some sleeping pills and a Xanax.

Except even after 3 sleeping pills, I keep waking up because it's cold. For Christ's sake, it's only 60 degrees out. So I figured I'd smash the counter apart and make a tiny fire to keep me warm.

Oops.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Sudoku posted:

Is there a way to just automagically grind skills up without having to actually grind it myself? I'd like to get things like throwing, computers, and some other poo poo I can train with a thousand keypresses done without actually having to do the boring thousand keypresses.

Well, there's reading books. You can train throwing to level 1 with the Diskobulus book, for instance, but I'm sure you know about these already.

The only other way to grind up quickly is to craft things that require a given skill and then hit the 'Repeat last craft button' over and over. Which, I think, is the real problem with archery is that I can go into a house, sleep, wake up break up all of the bookcases craft 300 arrows and have my Archery at like 4 which is when you are pretty much off to the races.

Riolith
Dec 24, 2005
The Quiescent
I am curious whether or not most people play with delete world on death on or not. When I first started I thought it was a no brainier on, whats the point of re exploring an area after all. But now thatIi am more experienced and have fortified a gas station and have a car packed with goodies I am seeing the appeal of keeping the same world.

Edit: vvv :what: vvv

Riolith fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jun 9, 2013

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I have discovered something hilarious. Apparently if you are 6 tiles or more away from a child zombie when you deal the killing blow, you convince yourself it's just a midget and you don't feel guilty for killing it.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.
Not only did the tag get restored for this thread, it's also been made global again. score!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Its pretty gratifying to see some of my gripes with the game be marked as fixed on the spreadsheet :3:

Will any of the fixes here be merged with the DDA trunk?

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009
With the new focus system, does intelligence affect learning at all?

Peddler of Smiles
Jan 21, 2013
There are things in this game which are entirely too cathartic for my own good. If you don't get my truck's name, consider yourself lucky to not have been interested in Terraria when it was first coming out.

CharlesDexterWard
Apr 25, 2012
Does anyone have any tips for static mode? I never liked how making noise would spawn enemies, but I'm finding it incredibly difficult getting started on static spawns. I'm using the build in the OP, but I can't seem to get any supplies. The last bunch of characters never even found some new clothes with pockets let alone a backpack.

A nice medium between dynamic spawns and static would be nice.

When Whales was developing the game I used to be able to get a good character going but now I am struggling to get a bit of gear to survive past the third day.

I really want to enjoy Cataclysm but it's really frustrating me.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

You can turn static mode off in the options, but I'm finding spears to be really solid in static mode. If you can find a steak knife or something at the start of the game, the knife spear is great.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

If you're having horrible luck with containers, it might not be a bad idea to spend a point to spawn as a Tailor with a sewing kit. You can make pouches out of the curtains in your evac shelter.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Static mode is all about making the best of what you can find, so crafting skills are really essential. Personally, I'd recommend something like this: start with a character who has 4 points in tailoring, 4 in survival, 2 in archery, the Wannabe Mechanic profession and the Android perk, other perks and stats as you want, but preferably mid-highish intelligence and perception.

Tailoring 4 will let you make your own backpacks right off the bat. 4 survival will let you make bone needles, which replace sewing kits. The Wannabe Mechanic profession starts you off with a Driving magazine and a book that can take you up to Mechanics 3. Archery lets you make a longbow and arrows, which become even more useful if you have good Perception. Intelligence will let you read more books as you find them, which is probably the best way to get a decent set of starting skills. Finally, Android has a chance of starting you out with some really good abilities, including the Integrated Toolset, which is just a godsend.

All of this will take a lot more than the 6 points the game usually starts you with, but with static it's no shame if you're struggling a bit in the beginning and give yourself an edge.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I just picked up a suit of power armor and a hauling frame, question is, is there any way to regulate my body temperature when i'm using it? my dude seems a bit miserable.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I just picked up a suit of power armor and a hauling frame, question is, is there any way to regulate my body temperature when i'm using it? my dude seems a bit miserable.

have you taken off all of your clothes underneath? Pretty much the only way to use those well is if you survive to winter or with the Internal Climate Control bionic.

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM
What view port numbers are good for being able to see everything my guy can see all at once? I'm tired of having a zombie pop up in my vision and then having to examine in that direction to figure out exactly where it is. Also Using Goon DDA I thought it came with a square text font preinstalled. But everything for me is still taller than it is high.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

whiteshark12 posted:

have you taken off all of your clothes underneath? Pretty much the only way to use those well is if you survive to winter or with the Internal Climate Control bionic.

Well, my dream of having a fallout-esque dude running around in a power armor suit gunning poo poo down with my FN-SCAR L has been shattered.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
How well does the Internal Climate Control bionic actually work now?

In Whales Cataclysm it did nothing. Now I have a suit of power armor and the CBM but don't want to risk an install without knowing I could sensibly use the power armor since heat seems to be a pretty big issue with wearing it.

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009
Internal climate control isn't passive, you have to activate it for it to do anything and it drains power over time
I haven't actually used it a lot myself, so I don't know how much power we're talking about

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It definitely works. The bionic makes it so that the game always returns true when checking for whether your temperature should go up, down, or normalize. When it's active, it overrides all other temperature changes and always moves you back a step towards "comfortable" when the check happens. If you activate it while already comfortable, you can't get hot or cold no matter what.

It wouldn't hurt if it was a bit cheaper, though.

[edit]
By the way, Power Armor should automatically regulate your temperature for you if you have it powered by a UPS.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 9, 2013

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM
So Goon DDA crashes if you try to craft a crowbar out of a pipe. gently caress. there was a LMOE shelter right in view of my starting point too.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I still think thirst mechanics should be toned down, if only slightly. Having to religiously store bottles of water and purify it until you can get a couple jerrycans (one for clean, the other for gathered water is annoying as poo poo.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I hate juggling plastic bottles so the moment I find a gallon jug of bleach, that poo poo gets poured out and I fill it with clean water.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
why aren't there gallon jugs of milk? And they should be everywhere. as should pots and pans. I raid house after house and can't ever find pots or pans.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cardiovorax posted:

By the way, Power Armor should automatically regulate your temperature for you if you have it powered by a UPS.

I believe the Power Armor Interface implant will do the same, drawing power from your internal batteries.

Still it's summertime in my game and it's easier to just wear normal clothes for normal stuff and put the power armor on for raiding military bunkers and fungal spores and stuff like that.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

Are there any sensible ways to destroy a wall inside a home? Sledgehammers do nothing and I haven't found a jackhammer yet, are there any alternatives?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I guess the use of the word sensible rules out the use of an M72 rocket? Those actually come in very handy when you need to get through the glass inside military bunkers and don't want to waste ID cards.

BTW, the latest nightly build is a lot less stable than the ones from a couple of days ago, I had several games crash out of the blue.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

nftyw posted:

I hate juggling plastic bottles so the moment I find a gallon jug of bleach, that poo poo gets poured out and I fill it with clean water.

I think a good way to alleviate some of the problems would be to scan the inventory for partially-filled containers when you try to make a drink, or purify water and ask if you want to use that first. I just noticed when making Screwdrivers that each craft makes a portion, but I don't know how many portions a single bottle can hold so now I'm going through my homebrews pouring them into as few containers as possible. It hadn't occured to me that making a portion of Screwdriver (or any other drink, water included) only fills a portion, not a bottle. This probably explains why I apparently needed 50 bottles of water to quench my thirst (an exaggeration but not too far from the mark in some circumstances)

e: on further thought, a simpler method might be to use colour-coding when making liquids and selecting a container. Empty containers one colour, partially-filled conatiners that hold whatever your trying to fill another etc. I might take a peek at the code and see how difficult this is.

PiCroft fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 9, 2013

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I guess the use of the word sensible rules out the use of an M72 rocket? Those actually come in very handy when you need to get through the glass inside military bunkers and don't want to waste ID cards.

Already used the M72 I found getting into a military outpost, they are so loving awesome :black101:. Yeah I was more looking for ways to redecorate the house i'm based out of without strapping pipe bombs to the walls.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Also, just to say: gently caress bears. gently caress bears forever.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

whiteshark12 posted:

Already used the M72 I found getting into a military outpost, they are so loving awesome :black101:. Yeah I was more looking for ways to redecorate the house i'm based out of without strapping pipe bombs to the walls.

The Sonic Resonator bionic is good for this, I've found.

Roberto_Silencio
Mar 9, 2004

lets start advertising and make us some real money
Decided to check this game out and I can't stop playing.

My last character spawned right next to town, along with an interesting feature that's making things awesomely easy: a crack in the earth, filled with lava. I sneak into town, grab up as much as I can and if I get spotted, just run my rear end off back towards base and around the lava. Zombies are so loving stupid, they walk right into it and die. So far, so good. :dance:

I probably missed it, but is there a way to make lights, like lamps for rooms?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Roberto_Silencio posted:

I probably missed it, but is there a way to make lights, like lamps for rooms?
You can make lightstrips, but they don't make much light.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

We should be able to butcher corpses for fat and make tallow candles with them.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Roberto_Silencio posted:

So far, so good. :dance:

Yeah, until you feed It enough to restore Its strength and allow It to awaken from Its eons-long slumber...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

We should be able to butcher corpses for fat and make tallow candles with them.

Dwarf Fortress player spotted :cheeky: