Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Jeoh posted:

:siren: Don't go into the tunnel, it's poo poo :siren:

Listen to this man. It's a loving hike down and back up, and then it's like 170cm high so if you are tall at all you're going to die. I went 10 meters in and said gently caress it and went back up. Like a 200m climb back up or some poo poo like that. My friends who DID go all the way in said it wasn't worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's literally just some rocks with 900000 Chinese tourists shoving everyone and Koreans yelling at you not to take pictures. Waste of time.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I went all the way in and all I got was a headache. Running back up is fun though.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Cameron posted:

Walking around at night alone in Korea is dangerous, my students tell me. All foreigners have knives.

Imagine what they're going to think after coming back from Toronto or Dublin for a year. They're going to have some eye-opening poo poo go down. I could walk around Itaewon alone Saturday night with Sejongs hanging out of my pockets and nothing would happen. Try that in downtown Detroit.
Because it's Sejong. If it were Shin Saimdang...

Speaking of Shin Saimdang, every time I look at 50,000 Won note, I always wonder who the gently caress decided to put that woman there. But then I never had 50,000 Won note so all's well. :smith:

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I hate those 50,000 bills. The only things a 50s good for is buying drugs and it's not like that comes up a lot in Korea.

I just wish there was something in between the 10 and 50. Like, why the hell not?

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
What islands are good to go to here? Preferably on the South or East coast. Me and ~my girlfriend~ are trying to figure out what to do with our abundant scumbag public school summer vacation and neither of us really has the bread for a trip abroad.

I'm not a big beach person but I'd like to have a go on a jet ski or whatever. Other than that somewhere with at least one good bar would be great. I've been to Deokjokdo and while it was nice I can't imagine spending longer than a long weekend there.

Is there a good island hopping route you can take anywhere?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I get most of mine in 50s. Use it for budgeting, I stick a 50 in my wallet Sunday and that's my cash for the week. I only get a small stack of 10s for runs to the street market.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

joedevola posted:

What islands are good to go to here? Preferably on the South or East coast. Me and ~my girlfriend~ are trying to figure out what to do with our abundant scumbag public school summer vacation and neither of us really has the bread for a trip abroad.

I'm not a big beach person but I'd like to have a go on a jet ski or whatever. Other than that somewhere with at least one good bar would be great. I've been to Deokjokdo and while it was nice I can't imagine spending longer than a long weekend there.

Is there a good island hopping route you can take anywhere?

You can get to Bigeumdo, which has a romantic heart-shaped beach with luminous plankton,from mokpo. We camped there and one korean tour group came for five mins and left (though this was in may). There are a couple other islands on the same ferry route, and you can also get to jeju from mokpo. Alternatively, just go to jeju.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

BrainDance posted:

I hate those 50,000 bills. The only things a 50s good for is buying drugs and it's not like that comes up a lot in Korea.

I just wish there was something in between the 10 and 50. Like, why the hell not?
You do drugs? I will report you to the police! :v:

I used to work in currency exchange shop owned by my aunt in Myungdong and tourists preferred Sejong because it is just easier to pay with. (Unless they decided to exchange something like $1000 or something similar.)

Koreans often joke that the higher ups pushed for 50,000 Won note so they can transfer their bribe money lot easier. Probably true.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
For a while I thought Shin Saimdang was the princess that was raped and murdered by the Japanese, because I figure it would have been Korean style to do some kind of passive aggressive poo poo like that, but nope, just an artist from 500 years ago.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
More like an obedient wife that managed to get her kids to pass national exam back then.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Aesis, can you explain what she did in the most angry and aggressive way possible? I really want to hate this woman but I just don't know how.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Cameron posted:

Aesis, can you explain what she did in the most angry and aggressive way possible? I really want to hate this woman but I just don't know how.

quote:

Often held up as a model of Confucian ideals

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
She came to existence! How dare she!

Let's just say she's like role model wife of Confucianism. And having such figure as a representitive of 50,000 Won note is just not right in the modern society of equality.

There are other great national heroes, the ones who fought and died for freedom against Japanese oppression, and yet she was chosen over them? I can never understand what the gently caress they were thinking.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Because the government is run by misogynistic fuckwit old men, I assume.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Grand Fromage posted:

Because the government is run by misogynistic fuckwit old men, I assume.
Well the feminist organizations were against it for obvious reasons, so I guess they just wanted obedient wives. :v:

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Aesis posted:

She came to existence! How dare she!

Let's just say she's like role model wife of Confucianism. And having such figure as a representitive of 50,000 Won note is just not right in the modern society of equality.

There are other great national heroes, the ones who fought and died for freedom against Japanese oppression, and yet she was chosen over them? I can never understand what the gently caress they were thinking.

This is amazing.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
They should have just stuck with Sejong there's no one good for a note after him. Or gone back even further in time and used Tangun or something.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

If they'd introduced it in the past year it probably would have Psy on it, so it could be worse.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
Well at least it isn't a Park Chung-hee note :suicide:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Or Jeon Duhwan. :v:

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

vodkat posted:

Well at least it isn't a Park Chung-hee note :suicide:
Imagine if both President Parks (Chung-Hee and Geun-Hye) were to be added to the same note :suicide:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Put a creeper on the 20.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
You mean this?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Put the chaebol logos on a new 100k bill.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Anyone (cool bros only) want to join Spiderjelly and I on a DMZ trip on June 29? The USO tour for 96k.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004

DontAskKant posted:

Anyone (cool bros only) want to join Spiderjelly and I on a DMZ trip on June 29? The USO tour for 96k.

Spiderjelly can you make sure our boy doesn't wander off the trail and into a minefield looking for wild berries?

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.

THE LUMMOX posted:

Spiderjelly can you make sure our boy doesn't wander off the trail and into a minefield looking for wild berries?

I'm not letting him into the tunnel, I know that.

terivinix
Feb 15, 2012
Do you guys remember the controversy when they were going to put Kim Gu on the 50 000 won note? It caused an uproar with people saying he was a murderer because he killed a Japanese cop (in all fairness it was apparently in cold blood, but it was during the Imperial Era). The guy was the president of the provisional government of Korea during the war and declared war on Japan and Germany himself. It was also probably a factor that he looks sort of like Bugs Bunny dressed up as an Asian caricature.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I wasn't here for that but holy poo poo are you right about the picture. There's no sort of, that is 100% the real life version of a Japanese guy in a WW2 Bugs Bunny cartoon.

E: Whoa he also had a bitchin' mustache as a young man too.

Needs to be flying a biplane yelling about that damned Red Baron.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
But the berries! Gotta pick them all.

As for Kim Gu and freedom fighters, the 'New right' organizations (known for Japan sympathizing and such) call them terrorists because they killed or bombed Japanese soldiers and figureheads during the Japanese oppression.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Hey GF and Kant, if you guys want some free money this is a thing:
https://www.facebook.com/events/529336037101598/

As far as I can tell the only thing standing between you and victory is a depth of field blur.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I hope Kant beats GF with some variation on jjajangmyeon.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I'm happy to report for my birthday today :toot: I became An Official Korean by receiving a disgusting and overpriced Paris Baguette cake served on top of its own box (i.e. trash) from my boss and coworkers. All I need now is a dojang and I'll be set to co-sign for your loan to buy furniture for your new apartment.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Congratulations. Party on the weekend?

Paris Baguette is cheap and often disgusting but Paris Croissant is expensive but ok. They're under same company though. Still, cakes are ridiculously expensive in Korea while barely edible. There are some bakeries that make good cakes though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Onion Knight posted:

Hey GF and Kant, if you guys want some free money this is a thing:
https://www.facebook.com/events/529336037101598/

As far as I can tell the only thing standing between you and victory is a depth of field blur.

Thanks for that. I'll work up a couple entries. I'd rather cash than 11st credit since 11st hosed me over the one time I used them but whatever, if I can win something I'm not gonna turn it down.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

Thanks for that. I'll work up a couple entries. I'd rather cash than 11st credit since 11st hosed me over the one time I used them but whatever, if I can win something I'm not gonna turn it down.

The cynical dialogue we are having has the potential for lethal toxicity. I don't trust Internet voters.

I appreciate the thought though.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DontAskKant posted:

The cynical dialogue were are having has the potential for lethal toxicity. I don't trust Internet voters.

I appreciate the thought though.

And thus, I have already defeated myself. Because I am not e-famous enough to win.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I'll just cook fancy food and then either way it goes I win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Gildiss posted:

And thus, I have already defeated myself. Because I am not e-famous enough to win.

I win by not wrestling around in a sewer of filth in a combat where the winner is the one with the cutest top.

• Locked thread