Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
You guys with nVidia cards might want to avoid 320.18 drivers. Seems they are killing cards.

http://modcrash.com/nvidia-display-driver-damaging-gpus/#.UbTxANzrxvB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
*smugly owns AMD video cards*

Seriously though, that blows. Could a mod sticky that to the forum?

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

InstantInfidel posted:

The Xbox 360, technology from 2005, manages to run Skyrim at 1080p at 30FPS. It's also silly and incorrect to expect hardware to perform identically on two things as different as a PC and a game console. A 7790 that doesn't have to worry about the background bullshit from Windows and hacked-together drivers and can put a lot more of its GPU power towards being, you know, a GPU.

Digital foundry says 720p. And even if it was 1080p, that'd be the exception not the rule. Plenty of games on current consoles render below even 720p.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

InstantInfidel posted:

The Xbox 360, technology from 2005, manages to run Skyrim at 1080p at 30FPS. It's also silly and incorrect to expect hardware to perform identically on two things as different as a PC and a game console. A 7790 that doesn't have to worry about the background bullshit from Windows and hacked-together drivers and can put a lot more of its GPU power towards being, you know, a GPU.

I'm not sure I understand your point. Almost all games on 360 are a 720p, and a handful of popular titles, especially on the PS3, run at sub 720p for the geometry, then overlay a 720p HUD.

Also, the fact it can run a game doesn't mean a lot - if you compare GTAIV on a 360 and on the PC with the settings cranked, on the same monitor, and switch between, I think you'll be surprised at how choppy and blurry it looks on the 360. Because it does look very blurry (not just the blur effect, the textures are very low res, and the frame rate actually isn't very good).

There's no magic here, other than having lower level access to the hardware, and most importantly, having a known, single target to optimise around.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Factory Factory posted:

*smugly owns AMD video cards*

Seriously though, that blows. Could a mod sticky that to the forum?

What proof of this is there that this is a thing beyond "oh I installed these drivers and my card failed :( "

Same thing happens with every AAA console release. Halo 4 killed my 360, Uncharted 3 killed my PS3 etc. Correlation does not imply causation and all that.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Been using the 320.18 drivers since release and haven't had a single problem. It's an example of reporting bias, no one says anything if their cards are working fine.

Also, Skyrim runs at 720P on the X360 and looks/runs dramatically worse than the PC version on even my mid range video card.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
I personally sit on drivers that work without issue until there's a killer release from either AMD or Nvidia that has such buzz it gets thoroughly benchmarked by the big tech sites, and then upgrade. But yowza. Those ain't your grandfather's artifacts in that article.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

InstantInfidel posted:

The Xbox 360, technology from 2005, manages to run Skyrim at 1080p at 30FPS.

As mentioned, Skyrim (like most games on 360) renders at 720p and the console upsamples it to 1080p. Not to mention it's not a GPU intensive game. On a mid to high range PC on vanilla Skyrim, you're far more likely to be bottlenecked by the CPU when raising shadow settings to Ultra. With lower shadow settings, you're more likely to be GPU bound but will still have high frame rates even with everything else dialed up.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

You guys with nVidia cards might want to avoid 320.18 drivers. Seems they are killing cards.

Yup I had this issue with those drivers while playing borderlands 2. Thought my card was dying.

Will be uninstalling them immediately. Don't want my 670 kicking it.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

BEST :10bux: I EVER SPENT

Jan posted:

As mentioned, Skyrim (like most games on 360) renders at 720p and the console upsamples it to 1080p. Not to mention it's not a GPU intensive game. On a mid to high range PC on vanilla Skyrim, you're far more likely to be bottlenecked by the CPU when raising shadow settings to Ultra. With lower shadow settings, you're more likely to be GPU bound but will still have high frame rates even with everything else dialed up.

What I want to say is that with the hardware not even having been released yet, people are already trying to decide what it can or cannot do. Let's wait and let it be released before we all jump to conclusions.

edit: Also, my point about the 360 and Skyrim is less its resolution and more that it'd be really loving hard to run that game on a PC from 2005 using an equivalent graphics chip.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Well I guess if my 580 explodes it'll be a good excuse to get a 770.

Wait... :raise:

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

brb downloading those drivers and overclocking my 680 because i want a 780

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

InstantInfidel posted:

What I want to say is that with the hardware not even having been released yet, people are already trying to decide what it can or cannot do. Let's wait and let it be released before we all jump to conclusions.

edit: Also, my point about the 360 and Skyrim is less its resolution and more that it'd be really loving hard to run that game on a PC from 2005 using an equivalent graphics chip.

Actually no, about this we know for sure. You were claiming PS4 games could run at 4k. Sony has said that while the PS4 can output 4k video, games can't. Neither xbone nor PS4 will ever run a game at 4k.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

This seems like an Internet rumor to me. How is a driver going to kill your card at the next POST, or during the DirectX benchmarks? Even if the driver forced the fan to minimum speed or something stupid like that you still have the hardware overtemp protection.

Edit: And yeah I've been using these drivers on my GTX 670 since they came out.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 10, 2013

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

My favorite touhou is my beloved Nitori.
:swoon:
I've definitely not had any issues with my 660 Ti using the 320.18 drivers ever since installing them since their release; temperatures haven't changed at all, no artifacting or terrible doomsday BSODs/crashing, and the overclock has remained stable going from old releases to this current set ever since I got this card.

That said, nothing will ever be as bad as 196.75. :supaburn:

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

craig588 posted:

Been using the 320.18 drivers since release and haven't had a single problem. It's an example of reporting bias, no one says anything if their cards are working fine.
Same. Had them on my 570 since they were released with no problems, and they've been treating my 680 fine for a week or two.

Alereon posted:

This seems like an Internet rumor to me. How is a driver going to kill your card at the next POST, or during the DirectX benchmarks? Even if the driver forced the fan to minimum speed or something stupid like that you still have the hardware overtemp protection.
Yeah, that makes no sense. Super fishy claim.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

Magic Underwear posted:

Actually no, about this we know for sure. You were claiming PS4 games could run at 4k. Sony has said that while the PS4 can output 4k video, games can't. Neither xbone nor PS4 will ever run a game at 4k.

That's not what I said, try again:

InstantInfidel posted:

Uh, no. Games that are developed to run at 1080p will do so, but the new consoles will support 4K. So yeah, you'd be an idiot to buy a 2GB high-end card today.

edit: Nevermind on the PS4, only the Xbox One will support 4K games.

The Xbox One will support 4K games, but I wouldn't expect them to appear in quantity for a couple of years.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

InstantInfidel posted:

That's not what I said, try again:

The Xbox One will support 4K games, but I wouldn't expect them to appear in quantity for a couple of years.

The Xbox one will not be able to render any game at 4k native unless it is something with incredibly simplistic graphics. Even a titan has great difficulty at 4k.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Alereon posted:

Bullshit.

I actually did have Event 14 (driver crashing all over the place and not coming back right) and eventual locking up the entire drat system - as in with stuff that have no earthly business crashing your graphics driver or causing half-second freezes every 2 seconds, like HWiNFO and Chrome, running. (On a 2500K with M4 256GB and a 560 Ti) Google "event ID 14" "nvlddmkm" for more information.

When I tried to uninstall the drivers in Safe Mode the GPU fan screamed. I didn't know if it was actually reaching or breaching TDP or if it had just lost fan control or what so I did, in fact, switch off at the power supply, went back into Safe Mode, uninstalled the driver in Device Manager repeatedly until the version stopped changing, and threw the 314.22 WHQL back on. It appears to be fine now.

But yeah, you don't even have to be in games for Forceware 320 to wreck your face.

[Edited for accuracy in attribution.]

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 10, 2013

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I'd almost be willing to put money on Xbone having zero 4K games in it's lifetime.

FetalDave
Jun 25, 2011

Moumantai!
Yeah, I think I'm done with this video card, and AMD in general.

The 7970 I got is blue screening now with 0x00000116 atikmpag.sys errors. I think I'm just going to RMA this and get a 770 or something. The only off-putting thing about the 770s are that they only have 2GB of RAM.

*EDIT* Now for some reason, Youtube videos are jerky when they play also. I never had this issue with my 5870.

FetalDave fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 10, 2013

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Alereon posted:

Edit: And yeah I've been using these drivers on my GTX 670 since they came out.

I saw it on OCN and figured I'd pass it on here to be safe, bullshit or not

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
With all this talk of 2GB VRAM not being enough, will my 2GB 660Ti cut the mustard at 1080p on high settings until Maxwell (and Skylake) drop?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Oh my yes. Maxwell is coming out in 2014. The changes we're talking about won't happen until games stop being cross-developed for the Xbox 360 and PS3.

FetalDave
Jun 25, 2011

Moumantai!

spasticColon posted:

With all this talk of 2GB VRAM not being enough, will my 2GB 660Ti cut the mustard at 1080p on high settings until Maxwell (and Skylake) drop?

I spent a while looking at a bunch of 2GB vs 4GB stuff.

Basically, if you're not running games across 3 monitors at high resolutions, you're fine with 2 GB.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

FetalDave posted:

Yeah, I think I'm done with this video card, and AMD in general.

The 7970 I got is blue screening now with 0x00000116 atikmpag.sys errors. I think I'm just going to RMA this and get a 770 or something. The only off-putting thing about the 770s are that they only have 2GB of RAM.

*EDIT* Now for some reason, Youtube videos are jerky when they play also. I never had this issue with my 5870.

There is a 4GB GTX 770, you might just have difficulty finding stock.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:

FetalDave posted:

Basically, if you're not running games across 3 monitors at high resolutions, you're fine with 2 GB.

Last i checked i was close to using up 2GB of VRAM on my 7950 at 1080p in skyrim. But that's with every 'HD TEXTURE MAX' mod i can find. Doesn't mean much but once ps4/xbox1 titles are ported to PC, hard to say what VRAM numbers will be a safe bet.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

spasticColon posted:

It's more of a concern on higher-end cards (GTX 670 and up) because those are the cards that have the performance to make VRAM the limiting factor. On lower-end cards you'll probably be turning down the graphics quality overall before the VRAM limit hits you.

norg
Jul 5, 2006

FetalDave posted:

This is a retread from the previous page, but basically there are already a couple of instances (Bioshock Infinite & modded Skyrim) where you can approach or even exceed 2GB at 1080p, let alone 1440p. Going forward there's a good chance that will be more of a thing.

I was buying a GTX 770 personally I'd want it to have more than 2GB of VRAM, to avoid that VRAM becoming a limiting factor well before the raw grunt of the card. Depending on final specs/price that might well apply to the 760 Ti too.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_hysteria

Some percentage of cards fail all the time; correlation isn't causation.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Unormal posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_hysteria

Some percentage of cards fail all the time; correlation isn't causation.

My friend's 560 Ti worked fine until he updated.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

ijyt posted:

My friend's 560 Ti worked fine until he updated.

The plural of anecdote is not data.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

unpronounceable posted:

The plural of anecdote is not data.

And a wikipedia link doesn't disprove anything. ;)

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Dudes... what is fuckin dumb is that GENS doesn't have a maintain aspect ratio option for above 2X scaling, because peak gaming HAPPENED with Shadowrun for the Genesis.

I hurt so much I AM ALIVE the surgery went really well and finally, one good reason to avoid those drivers imo is that I got a performance decrease in Crysis 3 going from the 314s to the 320s. I dunno why, they just don't feel mature yet. But I believe the last drivers that literally killed cards were in the Tesla generation, where a very very bad series of fan profiles got pushed live and burned up some of the rather warm running GTX 280sowowowowowow ow ow.

Ow. I missed y'all. Ow. Going to rest and totally shoot a dude in the face with my smartlink and wired reflexes. Street samurai, baby, yeah.

Also oh man if they gently caress up the upcoming game I am gonna be piiiiiissed

but my doctor said the surgery went really well, it was a lamenectomy, four multi-layer discectomies, and a framenotomoy so I have way less poo poo in my back than when I went in. Owww, ow. Go team green, but good luck team red!

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

That was beautiful.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

Agreed posted:

but my doctor said the surgery went really well, it was a lamenectomy...

Amazing that doctors these days can remove lameness.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Animal posted:

That was beautiful.

Drugs are the only short term payoff for surgery.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Agreed posted:

Also oh man if they gently caress up the upcoming game I am gonna be piiiiiissed

but my doctor said the surgery went really well, it was a lamenectomy, four multi-layer discectomies, and a framenotomoy so I have way less poo poo in my back than when I went in. Owww, ow. Go team green, but good luck team red!

Yeah me too. Lots to look forward to in nerd land: Wasteland 2, that thing Obsidian is doing, Shadowrun, Numeria or whatever the spiritual sequel to Planscape is etc.

Glad to hear that your kicking.

the runs formula
Feb 23, 2013

by Lowtax

Dogen posted:

What proof of this is there that this is a thing beyond "oh I installed these drivers and my card failed :( "

Same thing happens with every AAA console release. Halo 4 killed my 360, Uncharted 3 killed my PS3 etc. Correlation does not imply causation and all that.

Well, I downloaded those drivers for my 480GTX and it rocked my card. Installed them and stuff, surfed the internet, played some CS for about 20 minutes, and then went to bed. Woke up for work and went to check my email and welp... one of my monitors was on, the other wasn't and couldn't turn on. The resolution on the main monitor went to 800x600 and everything was artifacting to hell just on the desktop. Didn't have time to mess with it, so I turned my computer off and went to work.
Fired the computer up when I got off work and all was working fine, but after about an hour, the same thing happened. I uninstalled the new drivers and reinstalled the old ones and everything is working fine now.
Now, I don't know if it was specifically those drivers or what, but that's my story. Either way, I ordered a new 770 because this card is old as hell now :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

the runs formula posted:

Well, I downloaded those drivers for my 480GTX and it rocked my card. Installed them and stuff, surfed the internet, played some CS for about 20 minutes, and then went to bed. Woke up for work and went to check my email and welp... one of my monitors was on, the other wasn't and couldn't turn on. The resolution on the main monitor went to 800x600 and everything was artifacting to hell just on the desktop. Didn't have time to mess with it, so I turned my computer off and went to work.
Fired the computer up when I got off work and all was working fine, but after about an hour, the same thing happened. I uninstalled the new drivers and reinstalled the old ones and everything is working fine now.
Now, I don't know if it was specifically those drivers or what, but that's my story. Either way, I ordered a new 770 because this card is old as hell now :downs:

I just got my 780 sc w/ acx in and upgraded from a gtx 480. It's goddamn awesome. The 480 is one of the loudest things I have ever owned.

I ran the uniengine valley at the extreme hd setting and got 45 fps average at 1080p and I couldn't hear any fan noise.