Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lik
Apr 8, 2013

Kachou ON!

Silentman0 posted:

Senko no Ronde is the only one of those I've even heard of and played, though. And even then that's a pretty obscure game. The only one of those that you mentioned that has a Wikipedia page is Under Defeat.

Can anyone explain what these are like? Are they all shooters?

yea, G.Rev does mainly shmups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
I can't believe I never noticed this before, but I was re-watching an episode I'm translating soon and realized there's a Canadian vending machine in it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

zari-gani posted:

I can't believe I never noticed this before, but I was re-watching an episode I'm translating soon and realized there's a Canadian vending machine in it.

How do you fit yen in there? :aaa: :canada:

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

It seems to have been modified to accept 1000-yen bills... and only the older 1000-yen bills.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

zari-gani posted:

Progress has been slower on my end due to having a lot to do this summer, but there's definitely some stuff in the works. Here, have a thrilling preview:

If someone ever decides on making a GCCX drinking game, one of them has to be something along the lines of "finish your drink when Arino plays Metal Slug". Many nerd kidneys and livers will be destoryed by SNK. :v:

Also, I totally understand about having a ton of stuff going on outside of translating. I've actually been re-watching old episodes I haven't seen in a long time, and that along with the new episodes has satisfied my GCCX fix. :)

gunstarheroes
Mar 11, 2013

Obeast posted:

If someone ever decides on making a GCCX drinking game, one of them has to be something along the lines of "finish your drink when Arino plays Metal Slug". Many nerd kidneys and livers will be destoryed by SNK. :v:

Also, I totally understand about having a ton of stuff going on outside of translating. I've actually been re-watching old episodes I haven't seen in a long time, and that along with the new episodes has satisfied my GCCX fix. :)

Same here, it had been forever since i did the Mighty Bomb Jack trilogy. That live episode was far more amazing than i had remembered.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

gunstarheroes posted:

Same here, it had been forever since i did the Mighty Bomb Jack trilogy. That live episode was far more amazing than i had remembered.
That's actually one of my favorites on the RGM DVD set. Between Inoko MAX's face after Arino loses his last life at the end of the section right before the 'live in front of an audience' finale and Arino finally conquering MBJ, I think it would serve as a good primer for someone who is interested in the show.

Obeast fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jun 8, 2013

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Hm? I hear something in the next room...

(SFX: LONG, CREEPY CREAK.)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

Progress has been slower on my end due to having a lot to do this summer, but there's definitely some stuff in the works. Here, have a thrilling preview:

I'm going to tell you guys right now, this is one of my favorite episodes that haven't been released yet. You're going to get a kick out of it.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

You're such a tease.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I just CAN'T take all this HYPE oh my GOD

AzraelDarkheart
Mar 24, 2013

zari-gani posted:

I know which one this is now. I won't spoil it though. :angel:

I've been wanting to see this one in English for a while.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Random Stranger posted:

I'm going to tell you guys right now, this is one of my favorite episodes that haven't been released yet. You're going to get a kick out of it.

This better live up to the hype :argh:
I don't- I don't know how I can take it if it doesn't. :ohdear:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

RadicalR posted:

This better live up to the hype :argh:
I don't- I don't know how I can take it if it doesn't. :ohdear:

Would it help if I said you've got two really special episodes coming up?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

It would help if you gave as a vague time frame.

gunstarheroes
Mar 11, 2013
Mendel Palace or Tant-R or Strider hype is happening right now. Crossing my fingers (but i'll be pleased with anything)

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Again I will point out we have different tastes!

Obeast posted:

That's actually one of my favorites on the RGM DVD set. Between Inoko MAX's face after Arino loses his last life at the end of the section right before the 'live in front of an audience' finale and Arino finally conquering MBJ, I think it would serve as a good primer for someone who is interested in the show.

I think to get the full effect, the Inoko Max Trilogy (Umihara Kawase, Contra, Bonanza Bros) needs to be seen before the Mighty Bomb Jack one.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

The pressure of his gaze is amazing...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

Again I will point out we have different tastes!

Zari-gani! :argh:

On an unrelated note, I wonder if they're finished with Nintendo Channel episodes for the time being. It's been a few months without one despite a few opportunities. If there's any possibility of a new challenge there it'll be in the next week...

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

StoryTime posted:

The pressure of his gaze is amazing...

This is amazing. :golfclap:

Lik
Apr 8, 2013

Kachou ON!

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

HAHA, that got me.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Obeast posted:

I just rewatched that on the DVD an hour ago. MBJ is easily one of my favorite episodes for the same reasons. It's also hilarious near the end when that one bratty kid comes up on stage and wastes some lives without even telling them his name before Arino takes the controller back and kicks him offstage.

Zari-gani is right, though, it definitely works better after the Inoko MAX trilogy. That sad flute music when Inoue comes in to help in those always cracks me up.

And between the eBook and rewatching the DVDs the gap between new translations hasn't bothered me a bit. People get busy and you guys all do it for the love of the show, not as your full-time regular jobs, so it's understandable and not a big deal at all. I appreciate the work of the whole team.

AzraelDarkheart
Mar 24, 2013

Humongous Pear posted:

And between the eBook and rewatching the DVDs the gap between new translations hasn't bothered me a bit. People get busy and you guys all do it for the love of the show, not as your full-time regular jobs, so it's understandable and not a big deal at all. I appreciate the work of the whole team.
Indeed. I've been going back and watching old episodes, and given that I've only seen each one once, a few of them I've totally forgotten parts of, or the entire thing. So it's not like us fans don't have a lot of stuff to watch in the meantime. :D

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Super excited about this new Game Center CX game. It's too bad the only progress made on hacking the 3DS has been to release ways to pirate games and there's not even any region unlocking. :smith:

OrochiKiyo
Sep 9, 2012

Nickoten posted:

Super excited about this new Game Center CX game. It's too bad the only progress made on hacking the 3DS has been to release ways to pirate games and there's not even any region unlocking. :smith:

That's what frustrates me about hacking systems: I only want to play my legitimately bought import games on my system, I don't want to have to resort to piracy to play this stuff.

AzraelDarkheart
Mar 24, 2013

OrochiKiyo posted:

That's what frustrates me about hacking systems: I only want to play my legitimately bought import games on my system, I don't want to have to resort to piracy to play this stuff.

Unfortunately, when companies pull dick moves like region locks? That may wind up being your only choice. Unless of course you feel like paying a few hundred extra dollars to play import games.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Normally you could just buy the import game, download the ROM to your flash cart and call it even, but you can't even do that right now because the only flash cart on the market doesn't allow you to bypass region protection. So basically we need to start saving up for our second 3DSs. :v:

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Got "Animal Crossing: New Leaf"; now addicted to designing shirts.

I'll post QR codes once I unlock that ability.

AzraelDarkheart
Mar 24, 2013

zari-gani posted:

Got "Animal Crossing: New Leaf"; now addicted to designing shirts.

I'll post QR codes once I unlock that ability.

I kinda wanna get that game just so I can walk around with an 8-bit Arino shirt.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Nickoten posted:

Normally you could just buy the import game, download the ROM to your flash cart and call it even, but you can't even do that right now because the only flash cart on the market doesn't allow you to bypass region protection. So basically we need to start saving up for our second 3DSs. :v:

Truth be told I just started thinking about this and I have a hunch it's not easily resolvable, and I think I figured out why it's region locked.

The 3DS' problem is that a lot of functionality is tied into the OS, which varies considerably in the three main regions. Coupled with the games expecting to be able to communicate with their region's Nintendo Shop and saving stuff to the 3DS' SD card I can see things turning into a giant mess. I expect that the best-case scenario would involve buying a 2nd US system for flash cart shenanigans and keeping it offline.

VV Yeah, Nintendo definitely hosed up their store/OS design and should have made it less stupid.

univbee fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 10, 2013

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

univbee posted:

Truth be told I just started thinking about this and I have a hunch it's not easily resolvable, and I think I figured out why it's region locked.

The 3DS' problem is that a lot of functionality is tied into the OS, which varies considerably in the three main regions. Coupled with the games expecting to be able to communicate with their region's Nintendo Shop and saving stuff to the 3DS' SD card I can see things turning into a giant mess. I expect that the best-case scenario would involve buying a 2nd US system for flash cart shenanigans and keeping it offline.

It's region locked because it's loving Nintendo who haven't got a clue. Microsoft and Sony both manage infinitely more complex operating systems that feature region specific stores and features but still allow for region free games.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Are you ready to plunge into the deep dark mystery? Are you ready to gape open the secrets? Will you give crime the stink-eye? Translated by Zari-gani with the words closely examined by Hirayuki, here is Mito Koumon!

Download torrent81 (1 files; 579.93 MB)
View torrent stats

http://depositfiles.com/files/nzd1akeal

Seith
Sep 28, 2011
New episode! Can't wait to watch this one. Thanks, team!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Even as a chibi, Arino looks so weary and middle-aged. This is brilliant.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Gutcruncher posted:

Are you ready to plunge into the deep dark mystery? Are you ready to gape open the secrets? Will you give crime the stink-eye? Translated by Zari-gani with the words closely examined by Hirayuki, here is Mito Koumon!

View torrent stats

After reading about this game in RandomStranger's book, I have been looking forward to this episode. The Tamage is a great one that I remember. The Tamage has some Metal Slug which was hinted at a while back in the thread. Can't wait for more subs. Everyone buy RS's great book.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Gutcruncher posted:

View torrent stats

This is one of my favourite episodes :3: God bless Sunsoft for their crazy period games.

If you want to see some actual Mito Koumon TV series, this is the only subtitled video I could find.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38Cv8l6y3ik

El-Bonko
Oct 9, 2012
I saw a clip of Mito Koumon in some documentary that touched on Japanese period cinema, but it was way more recent. I guess it's one of those never-ending shows?

joek0 posted:

The Tamage has some Metal Slug which was hinted at a while back in the thread.

Oh man, that sounds amazing! :haw:

gunstarheroes
Mar 11, 2013
Bigger announcement then E3, so excited for a new episode.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

This is one of my favourite episodes :3: God bless Sunsoft for their crazy period games.

If you want to see some actual Mito Koumon TV series, this is the only subtitled video I could find.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38Cv8l6y3ik

I found a couple of extended clips of episodes online when I was researching the series but nothing subtitled before...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
AAAAAAA

That ending was horrifying! It felt like he got gypped out of completing it by a last minute design oversight... what a shame.