Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Alereon posted:

GT3e is only available on quad-cores because it doesn't make sense to pair a high-end graphics option with a lower-end CPU option. Your dual-core CPU would be bottle-necking your fast embedded graphics.

Yeah, I'm not sure that's true. Especially with the massive article AnandTech did recently, showing even low end AMD CPUs within spitting distance of the best Intel has to offer (in certain games) when you're playing at resolutions people might want to actually play at, you want GPU grunt out the rear end. Also, even with the best Intel Iris, we're not talking about something incredible here. More importantly - we're finally seeing a return to very high resolution screens, and exceeding what we had previously (although I'd wish they'd stop it with the 16:9).

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
A simple mention of aspect ratio preference by itself is harmless, but I hope the crowd in this thread is mature enough to not let it lead to argument (I've never seen it not).

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure that's true. Especially with the massive article AnandTech did recently, showing even low end AMD CPUs within spitting distance of the best Intel has to offer (in certain games) when you're playing at resolutions people might want to actually play at, you want GPU grunt out the rear end. Also, even with the best Intel Iris, we're not talking about something incredible here. More importantly - we're finally seeing a return to very high resolution screens, and exceeding what we had previously (although I'd wish they'd stop it with the 16:9).

Well, at 1440p, you're limited less by your CPU and far more limited by your GPU - hence the near-linear scaling by just adding more GPUs.

And notice - the dual/quad GPU benchmarks show a HUGE favoritism to Intel CPUs.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

HalloKitty posted:

Keep in mind we were talking about Ultrabooks, while a dual-core CPU with Crystalwell might be better at gaming, that's a much less capable and balanced CPU for an Ultrabook platform that's strictly TDP-limited. It seems like if gaming matters that much to you you'd move up to an HQ-series quad-core with Iris Pro graphics and be willing to accept the thickness and weight.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Alereon posted:

Keep in mind we were talking about Ultrabooks, while a dual-core CPU with Crystalwell might be better at gaming, that's a much less capable and balanced CPU for an Ultrabook platform that's strictly TDP-limited. It seems like if gaming matters that much to you you'd move up to an HQ-series quad-core with Iris Pro graphics and be willing to accept the thickness and weight.

Well, and frankly we're talking about a CPU that'd end up in something like the 15" rMBP - if they can fit a quad i7 and a gt650m in there now, a GT3e and quad haswell isn't going to be an issue.

Not exactly a requirement to have a 17" giant 5lb "gaming laptop" or anything like that.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Alereon posted:

That was my initial point. The thickness and weight of a MBP 13 in conjunction with a 1080p+ screen should at least justify GT3e. If you don't actually use all that power, current intel tech should scale back power usage to the point where it's on par with a lesser cpu+igpu right?

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 10, 2013

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

So I've decided to hold off till Haswell Refresh or Enthusiast for my next build, X58 still going strong :rock:.

What do SR, BTS and HR in the above image mean?

Can I assume Haswell refresh is Q2 2014 and Haswell-E is Q3 2014?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Broadwell won't be socketed.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Is that where intel landed on that one?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Tocks get socks is how it goes.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

sincx posted:

I may spring for Haswell-E if the IHS is soldered and it can reliably OC to 4.6.
Haswell-E is where Intel moves to DDR4, so this may not be the awesome platform you're hoping for. You'd probably be more interested in the Haswell refresh.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Man the Haswell NUC stuff looks really compelling for mini-server and HTPC builds, I just hope the prices aren't nuts. Going by the photos from Computex, it seems they have USB3, headphone jack, IR and even a Sata connector. It looks much nicer now too.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

I'm guessing Haswell-E will be when Intel fixes their USB 3.0 issues. So that comes out Q3 of this year? or Q4?

Yudo
May 15, 2003

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

I'm guessing Haswell-E will be when Intel fixes their USB 3.0 issues. So that comes out Q3 of this year? or Q4?

Updated 8 series chip sets are already in the pipe and will likely show up on boards Q3. Ivy-E will show up Q4 2013 and will be compatible with the venerable x79 socket 2011 chip set, not socket 1150. Haswell-E is scheduled for the end of 2014.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

People are also making a bigger deal about the bug than they need to
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-4770k-haswell-review,3521-9.html

quote:

Prior to Haswell’s introduction, it was rumored that 8-series chipsets had a bug that’d cause USB 3.0-based thumb drives with certain controllers to disconnect when the platform woke from a sleep state. This turned out to be true, though the steps to reproduce actually had more to do with a pulse from the device greater than 400 mV.

Stepping C1 of the chipset is affected. Stepping C2, which should already be shipping, fixes it. Single-chip BGA-based Haswell implementations won’t exhibit the issue, as Intel intervened with updated chipset components on those soldered-down packages.

So far, there are no reports of data loss due to this, so it’s being labeled a nuisance. Our sources say a small number of drives trigger the bug, and if you find one that does, using a different thumb drive should be your solution. At the very worst, you may need to reconnect your device or restart your video player if you watching a movie from the drive when it disconnected. Given the list of scenarios where this errata might surface, and in light of the actions you’d need to take, it’s not worth factoring into a buying decision.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Note that "a small number of drives" actually means "nearly all drives" and "there are no reports of data loss" means "no one has used the product yet." That said, while I could definitely see it being annoying, how many people put their system to sleep while using a USB device?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I actually didn't know it ever was safe to put a computer to sleep with a USB drive plugged in, I always just assumed something unexpected might happen.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Alereon posted:

Note that "a small number of drives" actually means "nearly all drives" and "there are no reports of data loss" means "no one has used the product yet." That said, while I could definitely see it being annoying, how many people put their system to sleep while using a USB device?

I leave my externals plugged in 24/7 and put it to sleep all the time

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

I know I don't have to let this affect my buying decision. What does affect my buying decision though is a product that the manufacturer has admitted as having a problem on launch that will eventually be corrected in future revisions. Buy a product with a known manufacturer-defect, or wait until a defect-free product arrives.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Bob Morales posted:

This should only be an issue if you are actually using the drives (have files open).

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Same habit here, though most of my USB 3.0 drives are 2TB externals that apparently don't exhibit the behavior that these chips don't handle well. And my USB 3.0 ports are all in the back where I would hate to have to unplug and replug them in all the time.

Are all sleep states affected?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

I know I don't have to let this affect my buying decision. What does affect my buying decision though is a product that the manufacturer has admitted as having a problem on launch that will eventually be corrected in future revisions. Buy a product with a known manufacturer-defect, or wait until a defect-free product arrives.

Well, google "Intel Errata" and never buy another processor ever again I guess.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Factory Factory posted:

Tocks get socks is how it goes.

Can you link this, I've heard it a couple times but can't find official word.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

Intel isn't shipping the new chipset until it ships all the old ones because they'd prefer not to throw money away. What else are they going to do with a warehouse full of chips with a small bug a small percentage of people will have problems with?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

beejay posted:

Can you link this, I've heard it a couple times but can't find official word.

Second to last paragraph

quote:

Haswell GT3e will be available both in notebooks and desktops, however neither will come in socketed form (BGA-only). The desktop parts will carry an R suffix. This will be the beginning of Intel's socketed/soldered strategy on the desktop, which as of now is set to work sort of like tick tock - with the first chips on any new process being sold exclusively in BGA packages. Haswell will have socketed desktop SKUs, Broadwell won't, Skylake will, etc...

Around this time, Anand had Intel engineers helping him hook up multimeters to CPUs and SoCs for direct power readings, so plenty of opportunity for questions and answers. He generally knows a shitload about Intel's plans direct from the source and reveals what he can out from his NDA and embargoes.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

That's a bummer. Sorry, I didn't doubt you, I just was hoping there was some chance... but alas.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
I'm sure Intel will could adjust the tick-tock cycle in other ways to accommodate the change and keep customers happy.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Well considering how butthurt people are over Haswell's disappointing performance increase over Ivy Bridge, I think desktop users can wait for the next "tock" in 2 years.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Without being able to upgrade my CPU between a tock and tick on the same motherboard anymore, I don't think I'd even wait specifically for a tock anymore.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Maybe you're mixing up the terms, but tocks are the only socketed ones. You'll only get ticks in soldered packages, and probably none of those will be overclocking-enabled.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Factory Factory posted:

All sorts of crazy poo poo was announced at Computex this week. Here's Engadget's wrap-up article; you can browse it for interesting devices.

Related, mmm, Asus Zenbook Infinity :circlefap:

There's an #shsc on SynIRC, but it's kinda dead. I'll add it to my channel list though. We can start an IRC party.

I thought there was but I am banned from it for some reason :confused: Should get it going again.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Oddly enough, I was banned from it in my first afternoon of idling. :iiam:

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Factory Factory posted:

Maybe you're mixing up the terms, but tocks are the only socketed ones. You'll only get ticks in soldered packages, and probably none of those will be overclocking-enabled.
Well, I've never bought a motherboard and CPU on a tock and really wanted to upgrade the CPU in that same tock and don't think I'll start, so this change puts my motherboard purchasing on a more equal footing between ticks and tocks since sockets won't interest me, but you're right about the overclocking. I'd be too hasty to not factor that in.

But it doesn't make sense to me that they would go entire ticks cutting enthusiasts our of their market focus unless ticks were going to be much shorter and tocks longer. They couldn't be planning on not catering to enthusiasts. It's a madhouse.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
SilentPCReview's Core i7 4770K review is up, I found this chart illuminating:

And that's why Intel made Haswell, people. It's impressive that they repeated the same power efficiency gains from Ivy Bridge but without a process shrink.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Alereon posted:

SilentPCReview's Core i7 4770K review is up, I found this chart illuminating:

And that's why Intel made Haswell, people. It's impressive that they repeated the same power efficiency gains from Ivy Bridge but without a process shrink.

Under load it drinks deeper than Ivy and manages to get even hotter as a result. Using 12w on idle is awesome and all, but pulling 115w (at 70c) under load is not so much.

I'm not suggesting Haswell is a bad chip, rather that Intel has made tradeoffs. Lowering static usage is a big deal as most CPUs spend their days doing naught, however dynamic usage is higher vs. Ivy.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Yudo posted:

Under load it drinks deeper than Ivy and manages to get even hotter as a result. Using 12w on idle is awesome and all, but pulling 115w (at 70c) under load is not so much.

I'm not suggesting Haswell is a bad chip, rather that Intel has made tradeoffs. Lowering static usage is a big deal as most CPUs spend their days doing naught, however dynamic usage is higher vs. Ivy.

Well, I'll be sure to get around to complaining about that when my computer usage changes from "sits around running uTorrent in the background all day and maybe gaming for an hour" to "BORDERLANDS 2 ALL DAY EVERY DAY".

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Yudo posted:

The point is that, for a given workload, Haswell consumes significantly less power than Ivy Bridge. It can certainly PEAK higher, but since it is also faster that means less power used total.

Oblivion590
Nov 23, 2010

Yudo posted:

The chart here actually indicates energy consumption, even though it says power consumption. As long as the performance speedup is larger than the power increase, the chip is more energy-efficient. This sort of confusion between energy and power is fairly common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005

Factory Factory posted:

Oddly enough, I was banned from it in my first afternoon of idling. :iiam:

#shsc is run by elitist administration, it isnt the channel for the SH/SC forum.
I have been banned from it a few times. Thats all Ill say about it because I dont want to poo poo up the thread with IRC drama.

On the topic of CPU heat, why do people bother putting the heat spreader back on after deliding their processor? Why even ship the processor with the heat spreader in the first place?