Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Count Bleck posted:

You don't need them to go through the doors, either, just their bracelet!

If it were possible to make a more freeform game I wonder how many people would create their own Axe Ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fumbles
Mar 22, 2013

Can I get a reroll?

I just had a thought.

Zero III said that Partners "Share Eachother's Fate", right? That could either mean that we still remain paired (or whoever gets randomized) in the event that Alice dies, but it could also mean that we bite the bucket right alongside with her and Phi was so worried about "maybe it'll be different this time" because she's been through this before and the last time Sigma allied with Luna it ended up getting him killed and he's vital in some sort of Junpei-in-the-incinerator sense. :tinfoil:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Well, I think it's clear what's going on.

Zero is the mistress. She's pissed that Sigma didn't call her the day after.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Natural One posted:

I just had a thought.

Zero III said that Partners "Share Eachother's Fate", right? That could either mean that we still remain paired (or whoever gets randomized) in the event that Alice dies, but it could also mean that we bite the bucket right alongside with her and Phi was so worried about "maybe it'll be different this time" because she's been through this before and the last time Sigma allied with Luna it ended up getting him killed and he's vital in some sort of Junpei-in-the-incinerator sense. :tinfoil:

Nine years ago Phi died in a rabbit-based version of the nonary game, cuddled to death by bunnies. Or she would have, but a young Sigma kicked them off of her and then promptly forgot all about it. This game is Phi's way of saying "thank you." She has mental issues.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
It's interesting that in 999, there was a constant sense of time pressure; they had to get through the entire thing in nine hours, and there was a lot of dialogue reinforcing how nervous they were about that. Here, the game seems set up to be almost the opposite, forcing everyone to wait for long periods with nothing to do. Zero III even said the game would go on for as long as was needed for someone to win, further removing any sense of urgency.

On the other hand, none of the mechanics in 999 specifically encouraged players to actively kill each other; the REDs were certainly used that way, but the rules were only about progressing through puzzle rooms. Sure, anyone who didn't make it through the 9 door would die, but the set-up suggested a competition rather than conflict. The AB Game, on the other hand, directly rewards players for pushing others towards death, and Zero III sanctioned that further by pointing out the advantage a dead person's bracelet would grant.

Essentially, in 999 it felt like the danger came from Zero, even though that was never really the case. In VLR, the only apparent danger from Zero was in the first room, and that was quickly dispelled; it's more of a prison than a deathtrap, and the only way you'll die is if one of your fellow players screws you over. Whereas the characters in 999 were originally pushed into trusting each other through common danger, the characters in VLR are pushed towards distrust. The whole thing suggests a different mindset from this Zero; they want to see the group destroy themselves, or build trust in the face of death. There's a possibility that this Zero was betrayed by a friend at some point in the past, and that led them to make this game.

One other thing to note is that there's no real way to generate an "epiphany" in this game, since the puzzles aren't connected directly to the danger. That means it's unlikely that morphogenetic telepathy will be involved; I guess we'll be seeing some new pseudoscience this time, although I haven't got the faintest idea how lunar eclipses could figure into it.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Rith posted:

I don't think anyone's trying to claim that, if you both have 1 BP, it's okay to trick your opponent into thinking you're going to ally and then kill them by betraying. The post you were replying to didn't make any mention of discussion beforehand; it was just pointing out that a person with 1 BP would be expected to betray in most situations, and that that would be understandable. In a mutual 1 BP scenario where I didn't have time to communicate with my opponent (of course this is a situation that's unlikely to come up in the game itself), I'd trust that the opponent was going to betray and pick 'betray' myself. If they allied, I'd be horrified.

I totally thought the post I quoted had quoted a post that mentioned making an agreement beforehand, but now that I look, he didn't quote anyone at all. Guess that's what happens when you try to read a thread at 3:30 AM.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Holy gently caress. :aaaaa:

The "actual Zero" is actually a decoy. The true Zero is Zero III, being the sole survivor from the rabbit hutch of 999. The rabbit massacre was actually the previous Nonary Game, organized by June.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
The scenario where double betray costs one point also breaks down in situations where the individuals in question know other participants. It would force them both to ally with each other in fear of relatiation should only one of them leave the chamber.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Medieval Medic posted:

The scenario where double betray costs one point also breaks down in situations where the individuals in question know other participants. It would force them both to ally with each other in fear of relatiation should only one of them leave the chamber.

It doesn't break down with communication. Communication doesn't help Prisoner's Dilemma in any form (and in fact, hurts both opponents), because if you agree to ally, the second you separate, you've just given your opponent a "guarantee" that you'll be allying, and they've got more incentive to betray you, and it's equally true for them as well. The second you separate, you're right back at sqaure one. That's why it's so awesome.

Also the drama portion of seeing your opponent or other people playing post-game affects any combination of Prisoner's Dilemma anyway.

edit: Knowing anyone beforehand or afterward affects the incentive, sure, but it doesn't especially affect double betrayal = -1 any more than double betrayal = 0.

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 7, 2013

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Well, I'm starting to like Mr. Sigma. And I sort of like the nice lady we allied with.

Still don't care about the rest and would be happy to see the tight-lipped Phi meet a grisly demise.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

slowbeef posted:

There's no dilemma in the 1 vs 1 scenario with VLR.

Look, if you have 1 BP and the other person has 1 BP, guess what? There's no choice! You have to pick betray, or you might die!

Agreed on there not being much of a dilemma here, but only part of that comes from double betrayal being a neutral action and the other parts come from the game not being zero-sum and from knowingly choosing your opponent.

See I think there is a bit of a dilemma if you're stuck on an eternal 1 BP v 1 BP stalemate (do we safely sit here forever or take a risk and possibly win/possibly die) but with other opponents to choose from and gradual point escalation over time there's no reason to ever take the risk. If a 1BP-1BP game does happen then both players can safely double betray and then move on to other opponents who have points to spare.

- You pick your opponent for the Ambidex game so 1BP players can pick opponents who have safe numbers of points and you can’t unknowingly end up against a 1BP player.
- You can’t kill players accidentally and it’s perfectly viable to keep everyone alive if high BP players don’t mind sacrificing points. As there’s a net gain of points even on Betray-Ally combos they can safely regain these points over time.

However, in a race high BP players probably won’t accept (temporarily) losing BP. Plus deliberately killing off another player seems like a big advantage if you can grab their bracelet.

- Dead players can’t pick an option so they’ll default to auto-allying.
- By controlling multiple bracelets you have more control over which chromatic doors get opened. So it’s easier for you to take advantage of the auto-allying dead players and you can kill off more players if you lock them out from being able to pick a door / can protect yourself from being killed off.

Buuuut...
- 1BP players can constantly betray and people won’t really blame them for it because it’s their smartest option.
- Grabbing a dropped bracelet will probably be difficult. If the punishment occurs at the score screen then anybody could grab the bracelet and your victim will want anybody but you to have it.
- Not many players can take advantage of hijacked bracelets. 6 BP players win in one betrayal anyway so have no need for a bonus bracelet. 5 BP players win in 2 alliances or 2 betrayals, so whilst stealing a bracelet DOES sets them up for a automatic victory in the 2nd round it doesn't let them win any quicker and they won’t necessarily be able to pick the desired opponent. Sure players don’t need to leave when they hit 9 BP, but if they’re willing to murder someone to reach 9 BP faster/safer then they probably aren’t going to stay in the game for additional rounds just so other players can win too. Which means the only people who really stand to gain from stolen bracelets are players currently on 1 BP themselves.
- Selfishly grabbing extra points is understandable but murdering someone in the process isn’t. Oh and as there’s a scoring session after each AB round everyone else gets to hear about your little homicide and presumably an AI rabbit makes fun of you for being a cold-blooded killer. So after killing someone there’s roughly a 0% chance that anybody will ever trust you again meaning that arguably the disadvantages outweigh the advantages.

Also a further “gently caress you” strategy specific to low BP players would be to refuse to open a chromatic door out of spite. “Oh you betrayed me last round and I’m 1 point from death, whilst you’re about to win. Well screw you buddy, I’m getting us all killed instead!”. Though there doesn’t seem much point in that if betray-betray is a neutral pick. I guess it would make some sense in a different game where betray-betray resulted in -1/-1.

On and "betray-betray = -1/-1" would place more importance on picking good partners. Right now if you pick a bad partner then you waste a round but don't necessarily lose anything else, but with a penalty on double betrayals you would constantly bleed points unless you pick people who are trustworthy. So whilst I can't say if ruleset is a "better" PD game than the other it's still interesting to see how minor rules changes effect the game. Though yeah it should mean more of a dilemma in 1 BP vs 1 BP battles.

Another funny thing here is that as a player the setup looks like a problem to be solved so you want to get as many people out as possible, but for the characters in the game they highly prioritize just getting themselves out.

Also since Zero III has been playing pretty fast and loose with the rules I have to wonder if they'll change midway through or if there’s stuff he still hasn’t explained. e.g. dead players switching over to auto-betray, 2 player or 4 player chromatic doors.

Myrrar
Nov 6, 2009

Natural One posted:

I just had a thought.

I actually didn't think about the shared fate statement. That brings another dynamic into the game with the pairs vs the solo. If we take what Zero III said to the extreme, it doesn't matter if a pair consists of a 6 and a 1. If they vote ally and the matching solo votes betray, then the pair is now a 4 and a -1. The -1 dies, and so therefore the 4 would also die. I assume that is going to come into play at somepoint, but it makes the decision more intriguing. It's not necessarily safe to vote ally so long as you have a 3 or higher if you're in a pair. I think it's fair to assume that Zero III was referring to this with the mention of sharing fates.

But if it wasn't the case, then it should be possible for two people to conspire to kill a 3rd. One half of a pair just has to conspire with a solo. Yes they would lose points, but if their partner was facing death, you could effectively get that person killed and there would be no way for anybody else to determine that it was premeditated. It'll be interesting to see how the rules regarding this are actually applied.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
One thing that keeps popping up is bugging me. People keep saying dead people auto-ally - who says dead people still get to play the Ambidex Game? Did I miss that, or is it an assumption?

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.

theshim posted:

One thing that keeps popping up is bugging me. People keep saying dead people auto-ally - who says dead people still get to play the Ambidex Game? Did I miss that, or is it an assumption?

I think that anyone who opens a door using a bracelet and a card will be entered into the AB game. So yes, having a bracelet can let you get 3 BP automatically.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

GeneralYeti posted:

I think that anyone who opens a door using a bracelet and a card will be entered into the AB game. So yes, having a bracelet can let you get 3 BP automatically.

More specifically, it's likely that any bracelet used to enter a Chromatic Door will be entered into the subsequent AB Game, otherwise there'd be players without opponents. In fact, since people have to enter the Chromatic Doors or die, and they have to have three bracelets to enter, many situations would require someone to use a dead person's bracelet. You'll only get an automatic 3 BP if you have a dead solo, though.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

theshim posted:

You still have to get through the CD doors with 3 bracelets, no more or less, which in turn determines the opponents in the AB game. Imagine you enter a CD door with your pair and you brought a dead person's solo bracelet with you - that dead person bracelet will be your opponent in the next round.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Your opponent is decided by who you go through a door with into a puzzle room, not whose bracelet you bring into an AB room. You can say "I've got Sigma's bracelet so I just go through the green/blue/red door with it" but what if both your and his bracelets are both solos?

The whole bit with Zero III explaining that the bracelets mattered more than the people and how they come off is because of those puzzle-room doors. If Sigma (I'm picking on Sigma so nobody says "oh you used X because you know he dies later" or "you chose Y to avoid hinting she'd die, so she lives") trips and cracks his skull open while everyone's running to beat the timer on the chromatic doors, somebody needs to turn around and grab his bracelet, otherwise the other two people in his trio (whatever that trio would end up being) are stuck. Going into a puzzle room with a dead guy can be an advantage in the AB round, but physically holding the bracelet doesn't give you the same power as the 9 bracelet in 999, for example. SOMEBODY'S going through their door with that bracelet, nobody gets locked out by design. Sure you could be a dick about it and insist you take the bracelet, assuming it's compatible, but then you've got 7 other angry people and the only one who would mind killing you is whoever's the third in your trio. And even then they just want to make sure it's done before the chromatic doors close.

EDIT: Okay killing might be a bit harsh, but there's plenty of ways to get you away from that dead man's bracelet and into whatever door people choose that don't have to be comfortable for you.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 7, 2013

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I hadn't even considered to this point that with random pair/solo assignments, any given pair in an AB game aren't even guaranteed to have the same BP, and yet both will receive the same penalty or benefit.

I have no idea how that mucks things up further but that's just yet another variable to consider in all this.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Zandar posted:

It's interesting that in 999, there was a constant sense of time pressure; they had to get through the entire thing in nine hours, and there was a lot of dialogue reinforcing how nervous they were about that. Here, the game seems set up to be almost the opposite, forcing everyone to wait for long periods with nothing to do. Zero III even said the game would go on for as long as was needed for someone to win, further removing any sense of urgency.

I suppose that the players could conceivably starve to death, if the game goes on for too long. There hasn't been any sign of actual food yet, and the booze in the bar doesn't count.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
I think the Nonary Game this time around is slower and forces people to wait so that they will overthink things. Just look at the thread: we're talking in circles trying to figure out how to get everyone out alive.

I also expect Luna to be Zero. Beware the nice ones :tinfoil:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Alright, polls closed.

1) Infirmary (77)
2) Crew Quarters (67)
3) Lounge (39)

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
I'm a little curious why so many people voted for Infirmary. I thought Crew Quarters was an obvious choice because we haven't seen them yet.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
It's picking the order, not a single choice.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

curiousCat posted:

It's picking the order, not a single choice.

Ok, let me rephrase that then. I'm curious why people want to go to the Infirmary first, rather than somewhere we haven't seen.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

whitehelm posted:

Ok, let me rephrase that then. I'm curious why people want to go to the Infirmary first, rather than somewhere we haven't seen.

How else are we gonna have a look at that corpse?

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

whitehelm posted:

They're probably curious about the dead body that's still sitting in there. We didn't get much time with it before being whisked away to the AB Game.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
Does anyone else think "Two Milkmen Go Comedy" could be an anagram for something other than a welcome? It just feels like there should be a better reason for the message to be constantly there in the background other than a seemingly pointless welcome.

SKBasis
Oct 27, 2007

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a hamster balancing Kirby on a parasol -- forever.
College Slice

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Does anyone else think "Two Milkmen Go Comedy" could be an anagram for something other than a welcome? It just feels like there should be a better reason for the message to be constantly there in the background other than a seemingly pointless welcome.

O, commit my knowledge:
To lock my mewing dome,
My wet-dog-like common,
Know old gym committee.

Come, my time, know gold,
Mock my woolen midget.
We met in my gloom-dock.

...in other words, no, I don't think there's any further reason behind it, but there's a lot of other neat stuff it anagrams into (and if any of the above turn out to be relevant, I too shall eat my hat).

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

SKBasis posted:

O, commit my knowledge:
To lock my mewing dome,
My wet-dog-like common,
Know old gym committee.

Come, my time, know gold,
Mock my woolen midget.
We met in my gloom-dock.

Oh come on, you can't just spoil the entire plot of the game like that.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Ometeotl posted:

Oh come on, you can't just spoil the entire plot of the game like that.

I have to admit that the cast mocking a woolen midget would be a pretty interesting endgame.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Alright, update as soon as I'm done being distracted by [laughing at/being surprised bybeing made to feel somewhat ambivalent about the fact that there's no way in hell I'm buying an Xbone having watched] Microsoft's E3 show.

E: Incoming.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 10, 2013

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
So Sigma's from an area where getting a break from schoolwork for Christmas would be expected, or at least not unusual. That implies he's definitely not from Japan. America or one of many European countries, maybe, although American colleges usually have Fall and Spring semesters on either side of a secular winter break.

It's pretty hard to tell anyone's nationality or heritage from their goofy-rear end noun names, with the exception of the old fellow. I assume Sigma's POV would tell us if his was an alias or a gamertag or whatever, so I have to assume that his parents actually thought Sigma was a valid name for a human child.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Time to do the rounds.

999 OST: [Imaginary]

You guys find anything?

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

Hello Mr. Sigma.

Nothing yet.

Oh...

I doubt you'll find any hidden hallways here.

Why are you back here, then?

Ah, well, I was concerned about the lady you found.

Who would do such a horrible thing...

Given what we know so far, you're the most likely candidate.

Phi, please.
Why would I kill this woman?

Hey, don't get me wrong.
I'm just saying the evidence points to you right now.
If we find more evidence in the future, that could change.

Beats me. I've never seen her before.

Neither do I.

Well... I suppose I might have known her before I lost my memories, but there's no way to know, is there?

Are you suspiscious of me too, Sigma?

Suspicious? Have you looked in a mirror lately?
You might as well have "suspicious" tattooed across your forehead.

If someone ran into you on the street at night, they'd probably pass out from fright.

Or maybe even during the day.

I'm so sorry. I apologize for my frightening appearance.

Well... it's not really something you need to apologize for.
I mean, it's not your fault, right?

No, I suppose not. Well, I assume not. But...

But what?

The mask and suit, I mean.
In a way it almost feels... natural. I don't feel as though I was forced into it...

Are you saying this is how you always look?

No, I don't think that's it.

This might be a pretty obvious question, but is there any way for you to take it off?

No. I've tried several times, to no avail.
I honestly don't even know where to start.
Ah, there is something I'd like to ask of you...
There are parts of the suit I can't see. Could you have a look, and tell me if there is a switch or something similar?

There's a hole here... on the back of your head.

A... hole?

Yeah, looks like you... insert something.
It says "OPEN", so maybe if you put some kind of key in there...

You could open up the suit and take the mask off...

I see... That's excellent news.
We just need to find whatever it is that goes in there, then.

Yeah.

I was beginning to fear I might have to spend the rest of my life like this.

Wait... A minute ago you said that it felt natural.

It does. But that doesn't mean I want to stay in it forever.
Imagine having glasses, for instance.
Wearing them doesn't feel strange, but you'd hardly want to wear them all the time, forever, would you?
That's what wearing this suit is like.

VLR OST: [Placidity]

No. There still might be something here. I'm staying.

Me too.

I see.
Well then, I will move ahead and see how our companions are doing.
What do you intend to do?

Hmmm... I think I'll be moving along, too.

Good thing we tied this all up in one vote!

I was thinking I might go over to the crew quarters.

Very well. I shall head for the lounge, then.
Until we meet again. Excuse me.

VLR OST: [Anxiousness]

What're you doing here?

Hey, c'mon man, don't be like that. We aren't enemies, are we?

What happened to you, Tenmyouji?
You've been acting weird ever since we found that lady's body.

Ya think so?
What, you sure it ain't just all in your head?

Fine. Let's move on to something else then.
You and Quark...
Is he your... uh... grandkid?

Why do you want to know?

Why? Well, I mean, why do you think?
He keeps calling you "grandpa". Of course I'm gonna wonder what the deal is.
We all got kidnapped and bought here, apparently for no reason.
Now they're making us all play some sort of weird game.
I'm just trying to find a little meaning in all this nonsense. That's it.

So tell me, Tenmyouji...
Are you really Quark's grandpa?

Luna.

Sigma! Where'd you come from?

Did you not want me here?

No, it's okay I guess...
I just thought Tenmyouji was the only other person here.

This is the crew quarters. I came here with Clover and Tenmyouji.
We decided we'd split up to investigate.

Huh. Makes sense.
So... you find anything?

What? Which one?

No, I meant I found zero things.

What about you? Anything suspicious?

I didn't find anything either.

Although... I guess you could say this whole facility is suspicious...

Yeah... you've got a point there.

Hmm...
Well, maybe solving all of these puzzles is part of the Nonary Game.

Really? I thought the Nonary Game was a couple rounds of the AB Game.
Why would he need the puzzles and stuff, then?

Why is Zero making us do all this?

Um... Well, this is just, um, speculation, but...
Maybe it's... for entertainment. So rich, powerful people can watch.

Entertainment?

Yes. They're probably off in an opulent theater, watching us struggle while they drink brandy and eat caviar...

You think so, huh?
So, some rich bastards killed her off for kicks...
What kind of a death is that?

K was right.
If her dying wasn't part of all this, the rabbit would've said something.
But what do we get? Nothing.
Just tells us to keep playing and disappears.
I can only think of one reason he'd do that.

Murdering her was always part of Zero's plans.
If you can think of another way all this fits, well, I'd love to hear it.

So you're saying that Zero Sr. is the one who murdered the old lady?

Well, it sure looks that way.

Well, Alice and I can't be Zero.

Okaaaay... I'll let the "I" part go, but...
You're gonna have to give me a little to convince me Alice can't be Zero.

What? Come on. Alice and I know each other.

Well, um, how do you know each other?

And where do you co-work?

An... organization.

That's kind of vague... What kind of... organization?

Um... that's...

What?!
What do you mean you can't tell us?!

I mean I can't tell you!
Just forget about it, okay?

Why can't you tell us?

I promised I wouldn't tell.

Oh come on, don't give me that!
Look around you, Clover! You really think this is the time for playing it close to the chest?

Y-Yeah!
Wh-What if the people you work for have something to do with what's going on here?

You're right.
Maybe I should tell you...

Finally--

I mean, what if one of you is Zero?
It could be any of you?
...Sorry.

I just don't really feel like I can trust you guys.
Maybe if that changes... Then I can tell you.

Go? Where are you going?

I don't know. I haven't really figured it out yet.

Then I'll be going too.

Fine.

Save it. I don't trust you any more than she does.

In other words, you aren't gonna tell me anything, are you?

Sorry.

VLR OST: [Placidity]

VLR OST: [Sinisterness]

Perfect timing.

You were here earlier, right?

Yeah, I was. Phi, Luna and I were the first into this room...

Did you find anything suspicious?

Like, a secret pathway or something...

You really think that's the kind of detail I would have neglected to mention?

Anything else, then? Anything out of the ordinary?

Out of the ordinary... Hmm...

Isn't that obvious?
It's an astronomy magazine.
Apparently, it's got an article about a lunar eclipse.
Says it's going to happen on... December 31st, 2028.

Yeah. Six days from now...

What do you mean "six days"?

Uh, well, today's Christmas, right?
So...

When were you grabbed?

Didn't you hear me? On Christmas. About... 2 or 3 in the morning.
Wait... Did they pick you up on a different day?

Y-Yeah...

I was abducted in the middle of the night on December 22nd.

What about you?

I... I think it was... the 20th.

Then we were all taken on different days.

Does that mean we were just... sleeping until the Nonary Game started?

Maybe they kept us on a Soporil IV drip or something?

In theory, you could have everyone wake up at the same time, if you got the dosage right.

Then today might not even be the 25th...

I think that's likely.

Yeah, some of us were probably abducted after you.

Oh... Well, I guess that explains why I feel kinda dizzy.

You too? I've felt disoriented since I woke up.
My body doesn't feel... right.

Maybe it's because we were asleep for so long.
Your muscles start to atrophy if you don't use them...

Uh... Then...

Beats me.

I have no idea.

Was there anything interesting in the crew quarters or the infirmary?

Naw, nothing in the quarters...
...Well, there was a book about a cat...

...A cat.

Yeah. Something about a cat in a box, and whether it's dead or alive...

Hmm...
Well, it doesn't really sound like something that's going to help us get out of here.

Yeah, I didn't think so either.

Find anything interesting?

What?

I wasn't trying to hide it.
The right moment to mention it just never came up.

You don't need to apologize, just tell us what you found.

It's... a newspaper article, looks like.

Yeah. It was in the safe in the infirmary.

999 OST: [Riddle and Puzzle]

Let me see that...
"Radical-6 Infection Spreads, Cure Continues to Elude Authorities."

Wh-What the hell?
What's... "Radical-6"?

Just read the article.

"The Radical-6 virus continues to spread across the globe like wildfire.
The WHO has confirmed...
...that the death toll is estimated to have passed 100,000 victims.
Immediate quarantine of any infected patients is strongly advised."

You mean you think we got infected with this Radical-6 thing?
C'mon, you gotta be kidding me.

Well, we don't know anything for sure.
But... Look at us. We seem pretty healthy.
Admittedly, I don't know what the symptoms of Radical-6 are...
But if it's killing people worldwide, they must be horrific.

Does this beauty look like something infected with an awful disease?

I can see it in your eyes.
Go on. Try.

Well, I am feeling a little weird...

That could just be from sleeping for a couple of days.
Or maybe it's a side effect of that drug.
Besides, if this is where they ship people to quarantine them, don't you think there aren't enough, uh, people?
This thing is killing people all over the world, right?
So why would there only be nine of us here?

Yeah, I guess you do have a point...

Think about it. Zero is forcing us to play this "Nonary Game".

Why would the government quarantine people, and then make them play a game?

Also a good point.

Yes it is.

So you're saying there are no connections between our abduction and this virus?

Probably not.

Hmm...

I mean, even if we're safe in here, our friends and families are still out there...

That's true. I hope they're all right...

Wait a minute... When did this virus actually show up?
I've never heard of it before.

Neither have I.

Me either.

So what day is it?
If this "Radical-6" killed hundreds of thousands of people while we were asleep...
Just how long have we been here for?

If we want the truth, we'll need to find more information.

Yeah, well, doesn't look like we're gonna have time for that.

[Music fades out]

Uh, yeah.

All right. We should hurry.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012
Does "K" always go to the opposite room? It seems like Tenmyouji is being unnecessarily rude, withholding information that couldn't damage him or help Zero in any way. (seems like Zero knows everything about everyone already anyway)

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Well, Tenmyouji was betrayed, and by somebody who seems to be close to him. I don't blame him for not opening up.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
Well now, an infectious disease suggests a pretty good reason to stick K into a suit, and trying to find a cure for it could be a pretty good reason for a Nonary Game. The mention of Schrodinger's Cat suggests that our multiple playthroughs are going to be more directly related to quantum mechanics this time; I wonder if the entire setup could be meant to produce a sort of quantum computer, solving a problem by trying every possible solution at once?

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
Man, Akihiko Dio sure sounds like a bad liar. The way he responds, either too slowly or too fast, really makes it seem that he's hiding something. Of course, everyone else is hiding stuff as well. It's not going to be easy to trust and be trusted by everyone else.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Phelddagrif posted:

Man, Akihiko Dio sure sounds like a bad liar. The way he responds, either too slowly or too fast, really makes it seem that he's hiding something.

He's hiding that he's been infected with Radical-6, or as it's known more colloquially - the "Giraffe Neck Virus".

Compelling evidence:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Cloverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :argh:

Once again, vital information comes down to "make Clover trust you". drat it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Elite posted:

He's hiding that he's been infected with Radical-6, or as it's known more colloquially - the "Giraffe Neck Virus".

Compelling evidence:

No, that would be Modigliani's Disease. (NSFW due to artistic nudity)

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 10, 2013

• Locked thread