Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!
Just watched the Jo Koy episode on YouTube. I've never seen his video podcast before but my favorite part is the visual of Adam, Alison, and the guest sitting together with Bryan off to the side at the little kids table, literally looking up at the people with the real talent the entire time. Then he occasionally plays a drop, smiles and waits for laughter that never comes.

Also, Alison is 38 years old?! Christ, I wouldn't have put her a day past 27.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Her podcast is really great for anyone on the fence.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Ez posted:

Also, Alison is 38 years old?! Christ, I wouldn't have put her a day past 27.

DUDE. loving exactly. I pictured late twenties and would have been surprised if she were 31 but loving 38?! That girl ages well.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Jo Koy is hilarious. I hope he turns into one of the regulars, Adam sure likes him so it could happen.

I completely forgot that Alison dropped that info about her age (on the live podcast with Dice right?). I was blown away, I thought she was joking at first.

Ez posted:

Just watched the Jo Koy episode on YouTube. I've never seen his video podcast before but my favorite part is the visual of Adam, Alison, and the guest sitting together with Bryan off to the side at the little kids table, literally looking up at the people with the real talent the entire time. Then he occasionally plays a drop, smiles and waits for laughter that never comes.
Bryan really is in his own little world over there, where everything he does is hilarious.

To be fair though I like the guy, he has really good timing sometimes. He just has way too much self esteem!

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

That's crazy, I would have guessed 30.

I don't really think the show needs a "drops" guy. It's a cheesy relic from the morning zoo days. Just put someone on there who can pull up a song or clip when it's needed. I rarely ever laugh at the drops now and they often just throw off the timing of the show. It's weird to me that for how much Adam hates radio, he wants to force in so many aspects of it to the show.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I found out about her age during her dating game bullshit. Where were you guys?

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

Niwrad posted:

That's crazy, I would have guessed 30.

I don't really think the show needs a "drops" guy. It's a cheesy relic from the morning zoo days. Just put someone on there who can pull up a song or clip when it's needed. I rarely ever laugh at the drops now and they often just throw off the timing of the show. It's weird to me that for how much Adam hates radio, he wants to force in so many aspects of it to the show.

What does most of the staff do anyway? Why does Adam need 7-8 people to run a podcast?

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

visuvius posted:

DUDE. loving exactly. I pictured late twenties and would have been surprised if she were 31 but loving 38?! That girl ages well.

I listen to her podcast pretty regularly and she often gets pretty down on her looks, its sad. She had an attractive guest on recently (I think it was Rhea Seehorn) and like half of the episode was one telling the other how pretty they were and the other denying it. She sometimes gets into a rut like that, but it doesnt feel disingenuous or anything but it does get a little old.

But to echo what someone else just posted, her podcast is usually quite good.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...
Finally watched the new Jo Koy episode and it was gold. If you've been abstaining from the podcast for a while this ep is a great one for jumping back in. No tired rants and Jo was on fire or figh-ler.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

dayman posted:

Finally watched the new Jo Koy episode and it was gold. If you've been abstaining from the podcast for a while this ep is a great one for jumping back in. No tired rants and Jo was on fire or figh-ler.

It was really funny, my only complaint is that Adam stretched those skits WAY too far. Each one went on for like 5 minutes and it got annoying.

Ez fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 7, 2013

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

Ez posted:

Each one went on for like 5 minutes and it got annoying.
I disagree. To me these are the best parts of the show, and I would rather listen to two funny people make jokes than listen to how people should feed their kids.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I just listened to that episode and loved it. Both guys are so drat sharp and I thought the skits were consistently funny, I mean look what Jo did with the Deacon Jones clip. I thought we'd just hear the clip again and Adam ranting about it for 20 minutes like we've all heard before but Jo turned it into comedy gold.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

NewtGoongrich posted:

What does most of the staff do anyway? Why does Adam need 7-8 people to run a podcast?

I think despite his bravado that Adam feels responsible for a lot of people's well being, especially with the brain tumor Bryan has. They've all been around for a while.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

Ariza posted:

I think despite his bravado that Adam feels responsible for a lot of people's well being, especially with the brain tumor Bryan has. They've all been around for a while.

It just seems that Adam throws away the advantage of podcasting over traditional radio by having a shitton of people work on it. It's not like Adam's podcast comes off as more polished than other podcasts because of it either. I don't see where the money is going. Some things that Adam pays for actually lower the quality of the podcast. Like the drops. gently caress the drops.

e: Or the "songs". Those are terrible as well.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

NewtGoongrich posted:

It just seems that Adam throws away the advantage of podcasting over traditional radio by having a shitton of people work on it. It's not like Adam's podcast comes off as more polished than other podcasts because of it either. I don't see where the money is going. Some things that Adam pays for actually lower the quality of the podcast. Like the drops. gently caress the drops.

e: Or the "songs". Those are terrible as well.

A lot of people liked the drops when they were being used appropriately. The songs are often good the first one or two times but get played to death, and segments really don't need intro songs (though this seems to be an issue with a number of shows).

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
I think it's been said here before but Adam seems to fall prey to beaver analogy he assigns to others. As soon as he got away from terrestrial radio his first moves were to imitate terrestrial radio in both form and staffing. You put a beaver on top of a skyrise and it starts trying to build a dam, why is a beaver building a dam on a skyrise? It's all the beaver knows.

This is pure guesswork but I imagine a lot of it comes from Adam looking at most podcasts, small time operations consisting of a host, a guest and a recorder, and deciding to do the "professional" version of that. I would assume Adam finds traditional podcasting lacking in a "they don't even have a proper studio, who would listen to that?" sense.

Dr. Lariat fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 10, 2013

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Anyone remember what adam and allison came up with to replace the word faghag? I remember it being clever and I want to remember it. It was like a year and a half ago i think it was said so if anyone remember I owe you a beer?

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

Veskit posted:

Anyone remember what adam and allison came up with to replace the word faghag? I remember it being clever and I want to remember it. It was like a year and a half ago i think it was said so if anyone remember I owe you a beer?

Fruitfly.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

NewtGoongrich posted:

This, I kind of get. It's a business, and having a staff, studio, and so forth and so on is what Adam wants to have to be the top podcast. It's how you attract sponsors, big guests, etc.

Keep in mind, Adam basically runs a network, and he has staff tackle several shows - Larry Miller, Allison's show, Ace on the House, the car cast, Adam and Drew, etc. As best I can tell, the staff split up the duties of the various shows, and all of them work together to run the main attraction. There is absolutely plenty for all those staff to do - Adam's show runs daily, and he rarely takes a vacation, and he travels a fair bit, too. So the staff has to be mobile, too. There's also someone doing marketing, calling sponsors, potential guests, and all kinds of poo poo.

The better question is why Adam built a big warehouse studio, and has a multiple-person staff, and despite all his opinions on work bathrooms - has just ONE bathroom in the building.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
There's two, if I remember correctly, I think it's for Alison or something

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

There's two, if I remember correctly, I think it's for Alison or something

Dr. Drew has mentioned that he uses the women's restroom too.

Can anyone tell me the origin of Adam hating Mountain Dew? I'm guessing it goes way back to the Loveline days.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Sieg posted:

Dr. Drew has mentioned that he uses the women's restroom too.

Can anyone tell me the origin of Adam hating Mountain Dew? I'm guessing it goes way back to the Loveline days.

Yes he's mentioned in on Loveline, fairly early too I think. It's just because trashy deadbeat losers seem to drink it in large quantities.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
Yeah, I remember hearing him call it the "nectar of the tards" early on the MTV version of Loveline.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

JGdmn posted:

Fruitfly.

God that was clever. Thank you very much for recalling that one for me.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It could just be a bunch of unpaid or really cheap interns from a local university. Radio has a lot of that going on. So it could be a few full time, fully paid staffers and a bunch of interns doing little things.

They do produce a lot of content, and it does sound professional. You do have people booking guests, selling advertisers, and doing the bookkeeping. Plus all the live shows require some preparation.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Just a quick PSA, everyone be vury careful around furral cats.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Anything that puts Alison into her trademark squeaking hysterics is my favorite thing

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Boinks posted:

I just listened to that episode and loved it. Both guys are so drat sharp and I thought the skits were consistently funny, I mean look what Jo did with the Deacon Jones clip. I thought we'd just hear the clip again and Adam ranting about it for 20 minutes like we've all heard before but Jo turned it into comedy gold.

Holy hell, you all were right. Jo and Adam mesh so well together.

Or maybe them spending 20 minutes ripping on Mike for being insanely cheap/hungry is just that funny.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

RightClickSaveAs posted:

What episode?

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

yesterday's with Fitzdog and Bruce, of course, I thought it was vurry obvious

bartok
May 10, 2006

Fitzdog is great because he will actually argue with Adam if he goes off on one of his political rants. It also helps that he is really funny.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...
Hearing Carolla and the gang talk about the PRISM spying scandal drove me near apoplectic. The cognitive dissonance required for Adam to say in one breath that the government fucks up everything it touches, and then in the next grants the NSA carte blanche to snoop on every aspect of his life is literally insane. He must have a crystal brain because it's clearly been fractured for a long time.

Goddamn it Adam, with your libertarian leanings I really hoped you would come down on the right side of this issue but instead, you slow keyboard tapped your way into the dumbest position available in this whole mess.

Does anyone know where Adam's viewpoint of anti-terrorism at all costs originated from? He's so pragmatic with normal everyday stuff that it just seems so odd he would be in favor of sacrificing everything to prevent something that, in 12 years, has killed less American civilians than food poisoning does each year. Is it just his hate of Muslims?

dayman fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 11, 2013

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

dayman posted:

Hearing Carolla and the gang talk about the PRISM spying scandal drove me near apoplectic. The cognitive dissonance required for Adam to say in one breath that the government fucks up everything it touches, and then in the next grants the NSA carte blanche to snoop on every aspect of his life is literally insane. He must have a crystal brain because it's clearly been fractured for a long time.

Goddamn it Adam, with your libertarian leanings I really hoped you would come down on the right side of this issue but instead, you slow keyboard tapped your way into the dumbest position available in this whole mess.

Does anyone know where Adam's viewpoint of anti-terrorism at all costs originated from? He's so pragmatic with normal everyday stuff that it just seems so odd he would be in favor of sacrificing everything to prevent something that, in 12 years, has killed less American civilians than food poisoning does each year. Is it just his hate of Muslims?
I don't think he hates Muslims, I think he's basically stuck in September 12, 2001 when it comes to terrorism/terrorists. He still routinely spouts that the terrorists hate America because of our wealth and dumb stuff like reality TV and celebrities. I think he just pays so little attention to what's actually going on in that division of government because it doesn't directly affect him.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Anyone watching live tonight? Ice-T(:smug:) and Coco(:barf:) should be on soon?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

SouthLAnd posted:

Anyone watching live tonight? Ice-T(:smug:) and Coco(:barf:) should be on soon?
Aww poo poo! Son! I can't hear Ice T say anything anymore without hearing Paul F Tompkins' impression.

This should be a really good listen tomorrow, I think Ice-T was on once before and was a really good guest.

I always forget about the live broadcast. Hah, just turned it on a few minutes ago and he's explaining his drunken midnight Mangria musings about how a 10 minute walk to a dog is like an hour, because dog years! :pseudo:

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
You know those people who say they don't watch their team because they turn the game on and the QB immediately throws a pick-6? I'm starting to think I'm like that with Adam, since I tuned in and after stripper talk (fine, nothing noteworthy other than wow Coco is dumb and who is that kid over there) to watch a re-visitation of the "apple intentionally makes their iphones droppable" argument.

STILL GOING JESUS

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

dayman posted:

I just finished that episode on the way into work this morning, and I found it a little hard to believe. For him to say it is just narcissistic people who care about PRISM is mind blowing.

It seemed really opposite of what I expected him to say.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Adam's iPhone dropping theory is so unbelievably retarded it hurts my brain listening to it every few months. Bryan is also an idiot for not being able to defend his really easily defended point. Just mention that when you drop your iPhone, 90% of the time the screen just cracks and you can replace it for $20 at just about any cell phone store.

Ice-T and Coco seem like a really nice, fun couple :)

Ez fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 13, 2013

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Aww poo poo! Son! I can't hear Ice T say anything anymore without hearing Paul F Tompkins' impression.

I kept hoping to hear about another on of his ill-fated bussiness ventures (Ice-T Causes Crib Death) but no such luck. PFT Ice-T is better than the real version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

dayman posted:

Really glad you guys recommended this one. I didn't know who Jo Koy was but goddamn that dude has improv chops. I'm checking out his standup now.

I almost wonder if a live show with Adam Carolla could be considered a trial by fire for a comedian. If they can hold their own with Carolla overtalking them and running rants into the ground by grabbing his attention and constantly delivering on the funny then they deserve a medal or something.

Like an 'I survived a Carolla Live Podcast' t-shirt maybe.