Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm guessing the game is either meant to appeal to one of the students specifically? That or it's meant to be a catch-all for all the students to trigger latent memories and drive them to murder, but because of Hinata's memory loss he's immune to it.
I have to imagine that this is similar to some student's past and they are freaking the gently caress out right now.

Maybe you shouldn't have taken pictures of that corpse, Koizumi.

EDIT:
Update last page.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!
Well, that certainly was a game. I have to admit I laughed at the use of an actual photograph to portray dead E-ko, though.

Going through the playthrough, I couldn't help but wonder if this means the next victim could be female, and that the 'NEVER FORGET' voice corresponds to the murderer -- maybe even Kirakira-chan? Maybe the victim will brush off the rumors and then the real deal will get angry and take them out as revenge with a bat.
I'm really not sure, but if the game itself really is a motive and I'm wrong, then I don't know how else to explain the story and the clues.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Miss Kalle posted:

Well, that certainly was a game. I have to admit I laughed at the use of an actual photograph to portray dead E-ko, though.

Is use of photography a hallmark of the kusoge (poo poo game) genre that Hinata's talking about? I've seen it ironically employed in Work Time Fun and some of the Cho Aniki games.

V!ntar
Jul 12, 2010

I'll give you something to die for, baby, let's go insane.

And we can paint the town red, now show me that Crimson Rain.
When Hinata says "crappy game", is he using the term kuso-ge?

Also, what's the difference between Western and Japanese style bathrooms? I tried googling, but I'm only getting pictures of toilets :v:

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
So wait: the game feels the need to censor blood by turning it from red to pink, but an image of an actual person bloodily beaten somehow passes the censors?

(I know the person in the photo didn't actually get hit on the head, but it's still bizarre how this is ok but they need to make game blood pink.)

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
That was pretty interesting, but I agree with Hinata that it seems incoherent. Maybe you have to play the game again and again to unlock different parts? I think Nanami could figure this out. ... I'm not liking the implication that this might have something to do with Koizumi, though. I was hoping she'd stick around a long time.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Fairly certain that different people playing the game will see different parts, which is why Hinata only saw days 1 and 3. Or perhaps The game updates over time, hence the Dull Start.

Christopher Robin
Apr 28, 2013

Miss Kalle posted:

I found that really bizarrely unsettling, actually.

Out of curiosity, what does the suffix -ko mean? (Apologies if this has been covered already)

This probably isn't the case, but the fact that days were skipped first made me think that perhaps different characters are seeing different parts of the game? Hinata sees days 2 and 4 while someone else sees 1 and 3? As straightforward as the game seems to be, it doesn't really seem like days 1 and 3 are necessary, but the fact that Hinata pointed it out might mean something.

E: beaten ^

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Very unnerving. I liked it.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Pick posted:

Very unnerving. I liked it.
Then you'll be happy to know it was actually a PS1 game by Suda 51: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz5UVGpdc4U

Madoushi
May 9, 2003

Some days, you just get up on the wrong side of the bed...

V!ntar posted:

When Hinata says "crappy game", is he using the term kuso-ge?

Also, what's the difference between Western and Japanese style bathrooms? I tried googling, but I'm only getting pictures of toilets :v:

You sit on Western style toilets and squat on Japanese.

Retter posted:

I found that really bizarrely unsettling, actually.

Out of curiosity, what does the suffix -ko mean? (Apologies if this has been covered already)

This probably isn't the case, but the fact that days were skipped first made me think that perhaps different characters are seeing different parts of the game? Hinata sees days 2 and 4 while someone else sees 1 and 3? As straightforward as the game seems to be, it doesn't really seem like days 1 and 3 are necessary, but the fact that Hinata pointed it out might mean something.

E: beaten ^

'-ko' is a common name ending for girls.

Madoushi fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 11, 2013

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

V!ntar posted:

Japanese-style toilets are squat-style. They're literally a (hi-tech) hole in the ground.

Retter posted:

Have you never noticed how like %90 of Japanese female names end with -ko? The kanji often used for that means "child", but that's not true for all of those names.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I just now noticed... in the Monobear Theater segments, is Monobear speaking to an audience of other Monobears? :psyduck:

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Whatever the hell that was, I get the feeling these lines of Monobear's are the biggest clue:

orenronen posted:

You see, this game's theme is "the missing link".
Y'know, that old mystery trope? Hidden connections and such.

My first intuition (like most people's, it seems) is that everyone gets to see a different part of the game and have to choose whether to trust each other to see the whole picture (and that would involve the admission that they snuck out and played the game) but... that's still missing the part where this is enough to spur someone to kill someone else. This is hella weird as far as Monobear schemes go.

Retter posted:

-ko is just the most generic feminine name ending in Japan. For an English cultural equivalent, imagine these characters named A-ella, B-ella etc. or A-ette, B-ette, etc. or something along those lines.

e:f;b several times over on this last point. D'oh.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

orenronen posted:

Japanese-style toilets are squat-style. They're literally a (hi-tech) hole in the ground.

Is there also a bidet vs toilet paper divide between the two or is that a separate issue?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Falls Down Stairs posted:

My first intuition (like most people's, it seems) is that everyone gets to see a different part of the game and have to choose whether to trust each other to see the whole picture (and that would involve the admission that they snuck out and played the game) but... that's still missing the part where this is enough to spur someone to kill someone else. This is hella weird as far as Monobear schemes go.

I think that this might be a "Conscience of the King" scenario. someone - let's call them "Claudius" - has a secret in their past, and this game reveals enough hints that a person who plays might be able to figure out who it's talking about and what they did. "Claudius", being nervous and guilty plays the game and recognizes themselves. That gives them a motive to protect their secret, and keep an eye out for others playing the game.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Centuries of knowledge ingrained into my brain,
and this STILL makes no sense.
I don't know why, but I started jumping to a lot of conclusions with that game. Someone (possibly Koizumi) took the pictures and got them torn up - first jump: the person who tore the pictures apart might've been the killer and didn't want any potential evidence there. Then it jumps to that person being dead - next jump: driven to suicide by the guilt/voice.

So I ended up with this mental story of this E-ko girl killing this victim, possibly on accident, and wanting to try and keep it hidden. Days 2 and 3 then "probably" involve one of the girls gathering up the pieces and putting them together and figuring out the truth. She confronts E-ko, or E-ko finds out that the pieces have been recovered and starts assuming the worst. It gets to be too much so she bashes herself in the head with the bat.

Of course, in this idea, there's the possibility that the person on the island now isn't the photographer but the person who couldn't let the matter lie and put the pieces back together.

It's weird what kind of narrative one's mind can create.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010
I believe that Japanese newspapers use "Letter+Ko" pseudonyms to refer to underage females involved in criminal prosecutions, much like Canadian newspapers say things like "the suspect, whose name cannot be released under the Young Offenders Act" and the like.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

TheDavies posted:

I believe that Japanese newspapers use "Letter+Ko" pseudonyms to refer to underage females involved in criminal prosecutions, much like Canadian newspapers say things like "the suspect, whose name cannot be released under the Young Offenders Act" and the like.

Any anonymous girl, really. It's the Jane Doe of Japanese.

CaptainJingles
Apr 29, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I think that this might be a "Conscience of the King" scenario. someone - let's call them "Claudius" - has a secret in their past, and this game reveals enough hints that a person who plays might be able to figure out who it's talking about and what they did. "Claudius", being nervous and guilty plays the game and recognizes themselves. That gives them a motive to protect their secret, and keep an eye out for others playing the game.

That's an interesting theory, but wouldn't it be out of character for Monobear? Has he ever done a motive that was specifically meant for one person?

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Niggurath posted:

Then you'll be happy to know it was actually a PS1 game by Suda 51: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz5UVGpdc4U

I am both thrilled and not surprised.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The idea that different people playing the game see different things is odd - what if you were to watch someone play the game, then?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

My guess is that every time someone plays the game, an additional random day is unlocked to them and added to the game. Thus, Hinata was the second one to break their rule and play the game.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

CaptainJingles posted:

That's an interesting theory, but wouldn't it be out of character for Monobear? Has he ever done a motive that was specifically meant for one person?

Oh right. That's a very good point. Probably not, which makes me feel a bit better.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

lotus circle posted:

So wait: the game feels the need to censor blood by turning it from red to pink, but an image of an actual person bloodily beaten somehow passes the censors?

(I know the person in the photo didn't actually get hit on the head, but it's still bizarre how this is ok but they need to make game blood pink.)

What are you talking about? I'm a pink-blooded human like the rest of us. It's the game within-a-game that has the recolored blood.

Madoushi
May 9, 2003

Some days, you just get up on the wrong side of the bed...

CaptainJingles posted:

We can't be exactly sure what Monobear's character is, since the controller (probably) isn't Junko now.

If somebody really wants to get off the island, someone elses motive could work for them.

Say X plays the game, and figures out that it contains a reason for Y to kill Z.

If X kills Z, they could frame Y and use the game for evidence.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Oh right. That's a very good point. Probably not, which makes me feel a bit better.

I was about to post the same "but Monobear doesn't make person-specific motives" but then I remembered in the first game, if the "secret from your past" motive wasn't quite person specific, he still used it knowing that it would be much more likely to provoke someone like Mondo into killing rather than someone like Naegi.

Still, I doubt he's actually constructed a motive to badger a single really specific person into killing, because then he'll lose the ability to say that it was all the murderer's fault and not his. Even if he hasn't played that card this game very much, it'd be a pretty huge change in modus operandi for him.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Falls Down Stairs posted:

I was about to post the same "but Monobear doesn't make person-specific motives" but then I remembered in the first game, if the "secret from your past" motive wasn't quite person specific, he still used it knowing that it would be much more likely to provoke someone like Mondo into killing rather than someone like Naegi.
Actually, I think a better example of person-specific motives is the fake suicide letter in Chapter 4. Even though the reveal of the mole was listed as a motive, it's clear enough that the suicide letter was a greater catalyst. That was directly made to make Asahina flip out and try to misdirect the trial, because she thought Sakura killed herself out of despair and not because she wanted to protect everyone. If Monobear left the original note as it was then no one would even bother with the trial because it would be obvious.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

Twiddy posted:

I have to imagine that this is similar to some student's memory and they are freaking the gently caress out right now.

Maybe you shouldn't have taken the pictures of that corpse, Koizumi.

EDIT:
Update last page.

Wait, is D-ko supposed to be Koizumi? Do the other Twilight Syndrome characters correspond to some of the other girls?

Apollove
May 31, 2013

Tender Child Loins posted:

Wait, is D-ko supposed to be Koizumi? Do the other Twilight Syndrome characters correspond to some of the other girls?

Basing on a guess...

A-Ko: Tsumiki Mikan: That timid attitude can only belong to her

B-Ko: Um...I want to say Sayonji based on how she yells at A-ko, though this is only if A-ko is Tsumiki, which there's no proof of, so it's sort of baseless.

C-Ko: Owari...?

D-Ko: Probably Koizumi yeah

E-Ko: No idea, and considering she's dead...

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

CaptainJingles posted:

Turning Sakura into a mole counts, doesn't it? It's not out of character for Monobear to single one person out so that the group turns against them.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Kobold posted:

It gets to be too much so she bashes herself in the head with the bat.

I wonder if it's even possible to actually kill yourself with a baseball bat. I would imagine that it's pretty difficult to get enough strength to the swing, especially if you're a Japanese schoolgirl.

Not to mention the wound would be on her forehead, not the back of the head.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Tender Child Loins posted:

Apollove posted:

Basing on a guess...

B-Ko: Um...I want to say Sayonji based on how she yells at A-ko, though this is only if A-ko is Tsumiki, which there's no proof of, so it's sort of baseless.

C-Ko: Owari...?

D-Ko: Probably Koizumi yeah

E-Ko: No idea, and considering she's dead...

Man, this idea (that the videogame characters are actually the kids seen through a cipher) didn't even occur to me. Maybe it's a dramatization of stuff that happened while they were at Hope's Peak, and there's enough information in there for someone to figure out they're the ones being portrayed? It fits nicely with the whole "bad poo poo happened in these folks' past that they've forgotten" theory.

Falls Down Stairs fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 12, 2013

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Apollove posted:

Basing on a guess...

B-Ko: etc...

Based on (our brief view on their) personalities alone, I'd venture:

A-Ko: Tsumiki Mikan (as you suggested)
B-Ko: Hiyoko Saionji (same, as she's mean to A-Ko)
C-Ko: Ibuki Mioda ("Ukyaaaaaaa!" - Who else is this loudmouthed?)
D-Ko: Mahiru Koizumi (Photographer, it's a stretch but who knows?)

Then, if this is meant to reflect the "real" girls, we have Chiaki Nanami, Peko Pekoyama, Sonia Nevermind, and Akane Owari to choose from for E-Ko.

Honestly though, E-Ko really sounds most like Hinata from the beginning of the game, before he'd decided to go swimming with everyone. Anyway, this is likely baseless. I wonder if we're meant to draw a parallel at all.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

Poulpe posted:

Based on (our brief view on their) personalities alone, I'd venture:

A-Ko: Tsumiki Mikan (as you suggested)
B-Ko: Hiyoko Saionji (same, as she's mean to A-Ko)
C-Ko: Ibuki Mioda ("Ukyaaaaaaa!" - Who else is this loudmouthed?)
D-Ko: Mahiru Koizumi (Photographer, it's a stretch but who knows?)

Then, if this is meant to reflect the "real" girls, we have Chiaki Nanami, Peko Pekoyama, Sonia Nevermind, and Akane Owari to choose from for E-Ko.

Honestly though, E-Ko really sounds most like Hinata from the beginning of the game, before he'd decided to go swimming with everyone. Anyway, this is likely baseless. I wonder if we're meant to draw a parallel at all.

That sounds about right. But who would be in the archery club? Maybe there's a student who's not in their class who was a SHSL Archer.

EdgeryWorthy
Oct 5, 2012

So what's your type? You're a herbivore guy, so do you prefer a carnivore girl?
Yeahh, I'm not really seeing the connection. The only reason this discussion started is because one of the girls happened to take pictures so somehow she's automatically a representation of Mahiru.

Christopher Robin
Apr 28, 2013

So is "an outsider who sneaked into the school" just a cover-up story E-ko pushed on the rest, or is it representative of someone (if any of them DO represent members of the class), like a traitor who somehow snuck into the class maybe?

Apollove
May 31, 2013

EdgeryWorthy posted:

Yeahh, I'm not really seeing the connection. The only reason this discussion started is because one of the girls happened to take pictures so somehow she's automatically a representation of Mahiru.

Well yes, at the moment it's nothing but baseless conjecture, however on the other hand the same could be said of the original theories as to why Hanamura was the culprit in case 1, as such while there currently is no proof our theory is correct, I don't think it's right to throw it out the window.

That being said it's entirely possible none of these girls are meant to represent anyone in the group, and the motive has some other hidden meaning behind it.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

EdgeryWorthy posted:

It's a mystery game and one of the characters is a photographer. If photographs come up, it's either a clue or a red herring, never a coincidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
My first instinct was to match up the timid girls and photographers also, and then my thoughts wanted to make a bigger stretch and match up E-Ko with our beloved DR0 protagonist. "It's nothing to do with us," an ironic focus on forgetting things, and being beaten on the head with a bat might explain brain damage. But that final image is so much like the ones we get before cases start that I can't imagine if it were a Hope's Peak student we're not meant to take her for actually dead.

• Locked thread