Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Bob Morales posted:

It looks like you can put one SSD in each side that has a graphics card, for a total of 2.

Also, how the hell do they get it up to 1.25Gb/s? Must have RAID right on the drive.

It's connected via PCI-E, not SATA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnomedolf
Jun 9, 2013

Freelance Gynecologist
I have an ultrabook that has a dedicated Nvidia GT620m video card. How does the HD5000 compare to it?

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
It seems like Apple is trying to jump start the next leap in professional computing. They've already done it with consumer products, like gradually eliminating the optical drive and moving on to SSD, even when prices for SSDs were much higher than today. That's their way of saying that new technologies are available to break away from old technologies that limit our abilities to be more flexible and perform our tasks faster. Someone has to force this widespread adoption, because there is a better way (in their mind) to do things. I'm in no position to comment on what type of hardware pros need to do their job, but Apple is probably betting on professionals thanking them in a few year's time for making this modular machine and breaking away from the large towers. That's always been Apple's schtick: Push the limits and break from the status quo. Move forward. And in hindsight they sometimes get it right.

Thankfully I'm not a professional so I couldn't care less about the trash can and how it would affect my workflow, but I would like to see how that market reacts once it's available and how its existence will change the computing landscape.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Bob Morales posted:

When they say '12 core CPU' do they mean 12 threads or dual hexacore CPU?

12 core single socket.

Some information is already available regarding Ivy Bridge-EP: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/06/10/inside_chinas_tianhe2_massive_hybrid_supercomputer/page2.html

The Register posted:

"Ivy Bridge-EP part... ...a twelve-core Xeon E5 v2 chip (specifically, the E5-2692) running at 2.2GHz."

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
That's the cost of the HD 5000 graphics basically. It's similar across the line with the Haswell stuff, the higher end graphics parts are paired with lower speed/power CPUs. I think they can still turbo boost to hell so it's a good tradeoff.

Pablo Gigante posted:

Wow that sounds great. They didn't directly test the 5000 but based on the performance of the 4600 vs. the 5200 it looks like even graphically demanding games should get at least 30-40 FPS on medium settings. That sounds great to me.
The 5200 is significantly faster than the 5000 afaik, but the 5000 should be good bump over the 4000 still. I think someone mentioned 40% improvement somewhere, but I could just be remembering something else.

Gunjin posted:

Look at the bath APple took when FCP was revamped into FCPX, I kind of think the same thing is going to happen here.
I can see that. On the other hand the Mac Pro has been pulled from Europe for a few months now and...I don't remember hearing much of a fuss over that. And the machine in general was neglected for however long already. It was kind of dead to begin with. For better or worse it's essentially a rebirth of the product (and some people like FCPX so v:shobon:v).

blastron posted:

Do we have any specs (or pricing) on the Mac Pro, other than hype like THUNDERBOLT 2 and the amazing THERMAL CORE? I'm trying to decide if I need to uproot my aging Mac Pro-based work/gaming rig and replace it with a new, non-Mac desktop.

e: Also, is there any word on how an external Thunderbolt 2-powered PCIe adapter would stack up to an internal PCI slot? One of the reasons I've been able to keep my current Mac Pro around as long as I have is because of continual graphics card upgrades, and if Thunderbolt 2 can't provide enough bandwidth for a top-end graphics card that's a big nail in the coffin.
Well current Sandy Bridge E5 Xeons* range in price from around $200 to $3600. The Fire Pros probably aren't too cheap themselves...but it sounds like there's options and that's the highest end one, so who knows there. They can probably put a config together for a reasonable price with the lower end of the spectrum parts (I'm hoping for a quad Xeon and single GPU myself), all the way to really loving expensive.

*This one will be Ivy Bridge, but pricing usually doesn't seem to change too much as far as range from generation to generation.

As for TB and GPUs, there's PCIe scaling tests like this one. TB2 would be like 2.0 x4, which does surprisingly well...although the Nvidia card suffers more. That's just for gaming though, I'd like to see a similar test with compute functions.

kuskus posted:

Also- does this mean the MacPro-as-server is undeniably dead? Why buy a server cylinder with 2 GPUs you'll never use? Oh, right- the Mac Mini. Except those don't have fiber adapter terminals either... Hmm.
There's Thunderbolt fiber adapters :v:

(...for about $1k it seems :ohdear:)

AlternateAccount posted:

Yes, some of the higher end PCI SSD cards basically see their storage as two separate disks in a RAID-0. At least I think that's how it works.
That's more or less how all (fast) SSDs work iirc. There's a bunch of flash chips on board and the controller basically reads/writes to all of them simultaneously like a RAID0. The individual flash chips are relatively slow, but stripe them together and you get the crazy speed.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Take this whole Mac Pro argument, replace "optical drive" and "internal expandability" with "floppy drive" and "serial ports," and you've basically got the handwringing that greeted the original iMac.

Now, before anybody goes "but the Mac Pro is supposed to be for professionals, and the iMac is a consumer machine"- all I'm saying is that Apple kind of needed to bet the farm on Thunderbolt and USB 3 in this way just like they needed to bet the farm on USB back in 1997.

It's true that there hasn't been a lot of 3rd party movement on Thunderbolt peripherals. Part of this is because there hasn't been any serious impetus driving their development. What's the point of developing Thunderbolt stuff when every piece of new computer hardware comes with legacy connectors and concessions for the peripherals that everyone's been using? And while Thunderbolt is great on something like the Air, it's kind of superfluous when your average Air user is never gonna push its capabilities beyond USB 2.0-level work. My 2011 Air has Thunderbolt and I have only ever used that port as a MDP.

Thunderbolt was always billed as the future of high-performance, ultra-high bandwidth, professional-grade connectivity. The only way Apple was ever going to generate the pressure to build a market around it was by removing the alternatives for the top-end power user side of the market, as obnoxious as that may be.

This is probably gonna sound like the most fanboy-tastic thing ever, but I'm actually really happy with the new Mac Pro. It's going to take a year or two for the rest of the market to get fully on board, but it proves that Apple's just as willing to break eggs to make an omelette as ever. For better or worse, this proves that Apple didn't become complacent or "safe" in their decision making when Jobs died.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Selklubber posted:

I'm trying to decide if Applecare is worth 170 $ extra or not. As I understand it I can buy Applecare within 1 year of buying the computer. According to norvegian laws, I'll get the computer fixed free for stuff that isn't my fault for 5 years. Does Applecare cover stuff like spilling water on it? It also looks like Applecare will fix it in other countries too, is that correct?

I'm curious on this one too, just clarification on what it covers and not covered (I'm on the US)?

I'm going with a 13" MacBook Air, def with 8GB of memory. Would I see any real benefit by upping the processor? Use case is web browsing, office, maybe video chat, and very occasional Civilization.

Any word on if the new Airs will get a free upgrade to Maverick? At the end of the day $30 in a few months would be nothing compared to the original cost, it would just be irritating.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I worked in post supporting Macs until very recently and my warnings about the new Mac "Pro" were dead on. I told everyone they would be completely wrong for our workflow, and really just be a suped up headless iMac, which they basically are.

To reiterate what others are saying, a workstation is all about power and flexibility. The new Mac Pro lost a LOT verses the old one:

• Two sockets and 8 ram slots to one socket and 4 slots. This is significant for compute heavy workloads like animation and heavy effects. There is no substitute for cores and ram, and the new Mac Pro lost 6 cores, 12 threads, and 4 ram slots.
  • All internal expansion. This is deal breaker for most professionals. No Fiber Channel, 10G Ethernet, RAID cards, pro card readers (CF, SxS, P2, etc), add in cards like AJA, Black Magic and RED Rocket. People have tremendous investments in their work flows, and being told to buy mythical expansion bays that are probably not qualified is a show stopper. My work horse Mac Pros had $4000-$5000 of expansion cards in them that I'd have to now either get TB equivalents for, buy a questionable enclosure for, or buy new storage. Unacceptable. Or just buy a Dell or HP workstation that will gladly take the cards and be done.
  • AMD gpus are absurd because pro software essentially only runs on Nvidia, especially for video post
  • Thunderbolt sucks in my experience. I had a 13" Retina and Thunderbolt Display that would kernel panic 4 out of 5 times when I plugged it in. No joke.
  • Pros still use optical drives, regardless of what Apple tells you. This is especially true in education where I worked.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

mayodreams posted:

I worked in post supporting Macs until very recently and my warnings about the new Mac "Pro" were dead on. I told everyone they would be completely wrong for our workflow, and really just be a suped up headless iMac, which they basically are.

To reiterate what others are saying, a workstation is all about power and flexibility. The new Mac Pro lost a LOT verses the old one:

• Two sockets and 8 ram slots to one socket and 4 slots. This is significant for compute heavy workloads like animation and heavy effects. There is no substitute for cores and ram, and the new Mac Pro lost 6 cores, 12 threads, and 4 ram slots.
  • All internal expansion. This is deal breaker for most professionals. No Fiber Channel, 10G Ethernet, RAID cards, pro card readers (CF, SxS, P2, etc), add in cards like AJA, Black Magic and RED Rocket. People have tremendous investments in their work flows, and being told to buy mythical expansion bays that are probably not qualified is a show stopper. My work horse Mac Pros had $4000-$5000 of expansion cards in them that I'd have to now either get TB equivalents for, buy a questionable enclosure for, or buy new storage. Unacceptable. Or just buy a Dell or HP workstation that will gladly take the cards and be done.
  • AMD gpus are absurd because pro software essentially only runs on Nvidia, especially for video post
  • Thunderbolt sucks in my experience. I had a 13" Retina and Thunderbolt Display that would kernel panic 4 out of 5 times when I plugged it in. No joke.
  • Pros still use optical drives, regardless of what Apple tells you. This is especially true in education where I worked.

The promise thunderbolt fibre adapters work fine-- I've got a pair of mac minis with them running my xsan right now.

AJA and Blackmagic have had firewire 800 I/O solutions for a while, we bought firewire IO HDs 5 years ago with our batch of pros that do all the capture you need up to uncompressed 10bit 1080 over SDI, and the stock P2 and xdcam readers are usb anyway. With internal expansion officially dead for macs now, I'm sure new solutions will exist in time for the launch.

I'm looking forward to drop-kicking my 3,1s to the curb and dropping in new pros.

Professional disc authoring still requires a master on tape or hard drive, so the lack of an internal drive for a broadcast organization will probably be solved with either a floating external, or a single station somewhere with a disc printer used for all optical i/o.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Take this whole Mac Pro argument, replace "optical drive" and "internal expandability" with "floppy drive" and "serial ports," and you've basically got the handwringing that greeted the original iMac.
The floppy drive to CD argument is a fair comparison, but the comparison of serial ports to internal expansion isn't so much. One of the greatest purposes of internal expandability is the ability to increase the lifespan of a system by adding in components that add new feature sets, etc while also being also being able to have the highest I/O possible. Those PCIe SSDs the new Mac Pro is using for storage? Already able to be installed in existing Mac Pros with transfer speeds higher than Thunderbolt 2.0 will offer. The new Mac Pro is definitely a step back in some ways.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

It's true that there hasn't been a lot of 3rd party movement on Thunderbolt peripherals. Part of this is because there hasn't been any serious impetus driving their development. What's the point of developing Thunderbolt stuff when every piece of new computer hardware comes with legacy connectors and concessions for the peripherals that everyone's been using? And while Thunderbolt is great on something like the Air, it's kind of superfluous when your average Air user is never gonna push its capabilities beyond USB 2.0-level work. My 2011 Air has Thunderbolt and I have only ever used that port as a MDP.
There's nothing present with the new Mac Pro that is going to drive some renaissance in the Thunderbolt peripheral market. External storage options have been available for a long time, and the features still being included with the Mac Pro (Gb Ethernet, USB 3.0 and all the devices it supports, FireWire, etc) seemingly reduces what needs it'll have. I'm sure we'll see some push for additional TB peripherals, but areas such as external GPUs would have been huge, and Apple reduced the need for that by incorporating discrete graphics in with the system.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

For better or worse, this proves that Apple didn't become complacent or "safe" in their decision making when Jobs died.
I'm sure they've been working on this since before Steve died as it was probably a part of the "4-5 years of products" or such. Kudos to Apple for going through with it, but it still feels underwhelming for the pro market.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
For a disruptive machine like this to gain real widespread traction it needs to do something better, more efficiently, or that cannot be done at all with current technology. The new Pro doesn't do this. Thunderbolt has no advantage over current workflows that makes it worth the, in some cases very, expensive proposition to replace what is currently available. Add into that that it adds another point of failure to the system in the external chassis and I see very little advantage in going this way. At least in the video world very little is Mac only any more, it's very easy to be a Windows shop.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

And while Thunderbolt is great on something like the Air, it's kind of superfluous when your average Air user is never gonna push its capabilities beyond USB 2.0-level work. My 2011 Air has Thunderbolt and I have only ever used that port as a MDP.
If you do anything with external disks, the jump to TB (or USB 3.0) is huge.

Civil posted:

It's connected via PCI-E, not SATA.

I get that, but I'm talking about the RAID because most SSD controllers seem to be limited (if not by SATA 3) to 500MB/s-ish.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
Sorry for posting so many questions here, this is (maybe) my last! I didn't find consisten info on this.
I have a Dell U2412M monitor with a free displayport connection. It looks like thunderbolt and displayport uses the same connection. Disregard that, my display has a displayport, not a mini displayport.

Can I use a male-male displayport to mini displayport cable to connect the display to a Macbook air Thunderbolt port? Will this just give an image or will the USB hub work too?

Selklubber fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 11, 2013

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I'm in the market for a new laptop and had my heart set on a mpbr but I guess they weren't refreshed so I'll be waiting a bit more. Maybe I can convince myself that I don't need the retina screen so a 13" air would suffice. The specs on those new models are pretty tempting.

Gnomedolf
Jun 9, 2013

Freelance Gynecologist

Virtue posted:

I'm in the market for a new laptop and had my heart set on a mpbr but I guess they weren't refreshed so I'll be waiting a bit more. Maybe I can convince myself that I don't need the retina screen so a 13" air would suffice. The specs on those new models are pretty tempting.

Unless your heart is really set on Haswell, the refurb rMBP's are a good deal.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Selklubber posted:

Can I use a male-male displayport to mini displayport cable to connect the display to a Macbook air Thunderbolt port? Will this just give an image or will the USB hub work too?
Any Mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable will do, such as those on Monoprice: DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort cables

As for the USB hub, you will need to route a USB cable from your monitor to the Air for the hub to work, typically with the monitor taking a B-type end and your Air using the standard A-type connector.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 11, 2013

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
So I don't need an adapter then, that's good. The USB cable from the monitor is used in my stationary pc. Now that I think about it probably wouldn't work as a hub for both the air and my other computer. Maybe I'll buy one of these someday.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
so the new mac pro looks like R2D2. cool
I hope it has a lot of blinky lights and makes cool beep blip boop noises

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Bob Morales posted:

If you do anything with external disks, the jump to TB (or USB 3.0) is huge.

I completely agree but I'd say that most non-pro (and even many pro) users can't justify the extra cost of most external TB storage- or at least they couldn't for the first year and a half that it was out. For most people, the benefits are still outweighed by the cost and there hasn't been real pressure from power users or enterprise to move the standard forward or lower costs.

My point is that you can't push the widespread adoption of a high-bandwidth standard like Thunderbolt almost solely on the back of the Macbook Air or iMac.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 11, 2013

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
We use workstations at work (trading floor), Dell builds them, we customize them, then deploy them and never touch them again unless a part fails and we replace it with an identical one.

For us, flexibility, expandability and upgradeability are the last things we want - we need stability first and power second as an hour's downtime would pay for the machine on most days.

We'll never switch to Macs but the new Pro exceeds the specs of our machines from a CPU/OpenCL standpoint and the multimonitor control features and resolution support beat our Matrox solution by a mile.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
I don't think Apple is trying to go for the "but I can't change X and we will need existing Y forever" market with the new Mac Pro. I doubt the market segment is really all that profitable for them, it's more of a prestige project. If they wanted to compete with the exciting Dell machines, they'd build machines like that. (e: this wasn't really directed at the post above mine, just to the general whining about the Mac Pro.)

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Internaut! posted:

We use workstations at work (trading floor), Dell builds them, we customize them, then deploy them and never touch them again unless a part fails and we replace it with an identical one.

For us, flexibility, expandability and upgradeability are the last things we want - we need stability first and power second as an hour's downtime would pay for the machine on most days.

We'll never switch to Macs but the new Pro exceeds the specs of our machines from a CPU/OpenCL standpoint and the multimonitor control features and resolution support beat our Matrox solution by a mile.

Depending on how TB hardware works out, it could actually end up being perfect for that. Need to swap out a RAID array? New graphics card? etc., just swap TB hardware.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

tarepanda posted:

Depending on how TB hardware works out, it could actually end up being perfect for that. Need to swap out a RAID array? New graphics card? etc., just swap TB hardware.

I think this is entirely what they're going for. How convenient is it for you that everything you're going to care about simply plugs into the machine?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I completely agree but I'd say that most non-pro (and even many pro) users can't justify the extra cost of most external TB storage- or at least they couldn't for the first year and a half that it was out. For most people, the benefits are still outweighed by the cost and there hasn't been real pressure from power users or enterprise to move the standard forward or lower costs.

My point is that you can't push the widespread adoption of a high-bandwidth standard like Thunderbolt almost solely on the back of the Macbook Air or iMac.

Right, USB 3 kills TB for almost all users and will never go mainstream, probably not even for monitors (for consumers at least).

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Bob Morales posted:

Right, USB 3 kills TB for almost all users and will never go mainstream, probably not even for monitors (for consumers at least).

Thunderbolt is faster and it's always obvious which way the plug goes in. The second wins it for me.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Bob Morales posted:

Neither did FireWire 800. And DisplayPort is pretty much standard on any monitor you would plug into that thing. With ports to spare. You'll see some high end stuff like with the 800.

Thunderbolt is also coming standard on certain motherboards from PC manufacturers. It's a little different from the USB 2.0 v. FW800.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

tarepanda posted:

Thunderbolt is faster and it's always obvious which way the plug goes in. The second wins it for me.

Thunderbolt 2 is 20Gbps.

USB 3 is 5Gbps.

That's not in the same league.

The thing is though... almost no CONSUMER peripherals can take advantage of 20Gbps.

For Professionals however, large SSD raid arrays and external 4K video import card and stuff can use that sort of bandwidth.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
So when the new pros are released, is there any reason NOT to buy a current pro? The price of the current pro will surely plumet to the sub 1000$ range, and for that I get some decent processors and the ability to throw a ton of different nvidia cards in it.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

ratbert90 posted:

So when the new pros are released, is there any reason NOT to buy a current pro? The price of the current pro will surely plumet to the sub 1000$ range, and for that I get some decent processors and the ability to throw a ton of different nvidia cards in it.

Ooorrr they become coveted by the lovers of the old Mac Pro and the used markets sky rocket in price.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ptier posted:

Ooorrr they become coveted by the graybeards and the used markets sky rocket in price.

I hope not. :smith:

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

ratbert90 posted:

I hope not. :smith:

Really I doubt it. They were hard as hell to unload for *reasonable dollars* even when they were new.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
You will most likely see the price on them fall as the Mac Pro nears launch. However, please don't expect the new Pro until around December.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

FlashBangBob posted:

You will most likely see the price on them fall as the Mac Pro nears launch. However, please don't expect the new Pro until around December.

Well yeah, that much I expect. I just like the old pro's looks, and a 50$ card solves the USB3.0 problem.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

ptier posted:

Really I doubt it. They were hard as hell to unload for *reasonable dollars* even when they were new.

drat, I was kind of hoping to sell my current Pro to finance an upgrade.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I can't get over how small it is. Basically the size of an iPad if you rotate around it's center, standing on it's end.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I like the New Pro from a purely academic standpoint. I always liked the idea, for years, of having a massive rear end heatsink for everything instead of the 5+ you have in a workstation.

Having said that, the new Pro is more of a toy than a real tool. Might be OK for smaller businesses and freelancers but I can't see a big corporation deploy them seriously but then again, the old traditional Pro never really picked up traction with big corporations anyway so I guess thats a non issue.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

wdarkk posted:

drat, I was kind of hoping to sell my current Pro to finance an upgrade.

I could be wrong, I did it a long time ago. It's more finding people that want it. You can find tons of people that want a used MBP but less so for a very expensive machine. However there may be some places that really will need an older pro because of expensive PCI-e investments.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I pulled the trigger and went with the 13" Air, 8Gb of memory, 256 storage (and applecare). Even with student pricing the final order made me cringe slightly. My solution is to just archive my order email immediately so I don't look at it.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Shaocaholica posted:

I like the New Pro from a purely academic standpoint. I always liked the idea, for years, of having a massive rear end heatsink for everything instead of the 5+ you have in a workstation.

Having said that, the new Pro is more of a toy than a real tool. Might be OK for smaller businesses and freelancers but I can't see a big corporation deploy them seriously but then again, the old traditional Pro never really picked up traction with big corporations anyway so I guess thats a non issue.

Prepare for every college prof that had a Mac Pro now picking up one of those day one. Some will need it, others will try to get Eudora to work on it. Either way it's totally coming out of a research budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

I pulled the trigger and went with the 13" Air, 8Gb of memory, 256 storage (and applecare). Even with student pricing the final order made me cringe slightly. My solution is to just archive my order email immediately so I don't look at it.

I just did this too, without applecare. The laws here cover the same thing. Strangely enough they didn't ask for any proof that I'm a student.