Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Okay, I recall hearing a remix of some Touhou song and really liking it. Unfortunately, I can't remember any details about it, and this is going to be a longshot but I was wondering if anyone has any ideas?

It has maracas, clapping, and I'm pretty sure seagull cries in the background. Also might be a remix of Cirno's theme, not sure. Pretty sure it was one of the Touhou Music Collections that have been posted pretty regularly in these Touhou threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Hokuto posted:

The subtitles on that Touhou anime video are filled with basic mistakes, which is pretty embarrassing when considering that literally everything is written on screen. Is there a way to fix Youtube captions without just re-uploading the whole thing yourself?

I doubt it. Seems like a bad idea to give your average Youtube commentator the power to make changes to someone else's video, even if it's only the captions. Unless you mean it's your own video?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Edit: It's not my own video. That's unfortunate, oh well.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm curious, can you elaborate?

I combed through the first six and a half minutes just now before losing patience. Top entries are the Youtube captions, bottom entries are the more accurate translations. Seriously, this is basic amateur stuff.

"Thinking about Gensokyo's future is our habit"
"We care about Gensokyo's future in our own way."

"We are not worried at all"
"We're not at fault at all, right?"

"Ah, the tengu here came a little while to bring us a newspaper about the past incident"
"Ah, the tengu just brought us some back issues of her newspaper."

"HmHmHm, you've been working hard!"
"Mm, mm, mm. This is so educational!"

"You said you wouldn't mind joining us drinking sake, will you?"
"You wouldn't refuse to drink our sake, right?"

"Ah, of course not. I never said I didn't join you for a drink, did I?"
"Whoa, no, of course I wouldn't!"

"I want to study the shrine maiden's method of resolving an incident, but Kanako-sama and Suwako-sama..."
"Lady Kanako and Lady Suwako told me to brush up as a shrine maiden on how to resolve incidents..."

"Didn't you know Reimu was exterminating them?"
"Didn't you just get exterminated by Reimu?"

"And when it comes to Moriya Shrine, they sure know how to cause more incident, eh?"
"I'd say the Moriya Shrine is bigger on causing incidents than resolving them, huh?"

"What do you mean? It's really unpleasant when it comes to her mind-reading abilities but she seldom uses it."
"What? Is there something you wouldn't want her reading in your mind?"

"If I remember correctly, the whole incident began with that purple..."
"Besides, Yukari, wasn't it you behind that whole incident...?"

"That because Marisa is a thief who just comes and goes?"
"Marisa just came to rob us."

"It was a great opportunity to me. If Reimu wasn't there, it would be boring."
"This is as good a time as any. I'm getting bored with Reimu not around anyway."

"Oh please, we don't want to hear your frightening stories"
"No tall tales."

"And during the parts that Marisa does not remember, I shall tell our side of the story."
"I'll cover the parts that Marisa doesn't know."

"Cirno-san, please stop it already!"
FFS if you're going to be a lazy translator and lean on honorifics, at least use the right ones. They write "chan" right there in the Japanese text!

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jun 11, 2013

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Hokuto posted:

"If I remember correctly, the whole incident began with that purple..."
"Besides, Yukari, wasn't it you behind that whole incident...?"

Yeah, I got a good laugh out of that one. Somehow they didn't realize that Yukari was her name.

Although I shouldn't comment too much because I've made more than a few questionable translations myself in various places. Sometimes you're just in a hurry. And don't know Japanese.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Clarste posted:

Although I shouldn't comment too much because I've made more than a few questionable translations myself in various places. Sometimes you're just in a hurry. And don't know Japanese.

Don't ever fall for the "I'm in a hurry, just put something out" trap. It's a prevalent mindset among amateur J>E fan translations these days and it creates a vexing natural conclusion. The video itself has a lovely translation, but it's probably hit every corner of Western Touhou fandom by now, and subsequent but better subs won't reach the same number of people because they've already watched the lovely one. Thus, the initial release becomes the de facto main product. This becomes even more firmly entrenched when you start dealing with fansubs featured on streaming websites, or comics on manga websites, where they'll take the first lovely option that comes along and that's what everybody gets.

Remember: There is nothing forcing you to make stuff up when you don't know what something means. Nobody's twisting your arm to do this work. There's always another option, whether it's looking it up online, asking someone else more fluent for help, or just holding off on release until you work through it.

I used to work in fansubs, and with one series, I came across a segment of one episode that I literally could not understand. It had me completely stumped, and none of my friends could help. I didn't just make something up and move on; I threw in the towel and stopped translating that series. The world didn't end, and others took up where I left off. It's a last resort, to be sure, but it's not an unreasonable one.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Miko Miko Suika is amazing.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Hokuto posted:

Remember: There is nothing forcing you to make stuff up when you don't know what something means. Nobody's twisting your arm to do this work.

B-b-but my Speed Subber Pride demands me to be first! :qq:

I spend way too much time reading/watching/playing touhou fanworks, so I think I can confidently say that more than half of all of the translations I've read are terrible. From the lazy (ze) to the awkward ("Now, why don't you just speak it out?"), to the two-steps-from-machine-translated (that video's subs), there is a ton of bad stuff.

But for the most part, people don't care.

Parsing engrish as english is pretty much just a thing people accept they have to do now, so there's really no pressure on translators to bother doing a quality job. Especially since there's always the "be happy it's in english" defense. :rolleyes: So while it'd be nice if more people shared your attitude, I don't think it's going to happen ever.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

BlitzBlast posted:

I spend way too much time reading/watching/playing touhou fanworks, so I think I can confidently say that more than half of all of the translations I've read are terrible.

The worst part of the issue is that the terrible translations you read are likely never going to be redone with a better translation because the translators figure, hey, it's been done, why should I revisit this when I could be doing something new? There's even less reason any site hosting the crappy translation would bother spending the effort to replace it after the fact. Inertia always favors the speed subber, and that makes speed subs actively poisonous to the rest of the community.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Hokuto posted:

The crux of the issue is that the terrible translations you read are never going to be redone with a better translation because the translators figure, hey, it's been done, why should I revisit this when I could be doing something new? There's even less reason any site hosting the crappy translation would bother spending the effort to replace it after the fact. Inertia always favors the speed subber, and that makes speed subs actively poisonous to the rest of the community.

Really depends on the format. A lot of text-only translation work gets hosted on wikis, so there's nothing really wrong with publishing your rough draft and editing it later (as long as you actually edit it later and don't rely on others!). I mean, no one here has every line of SoPM memorized, do we? If anyone cares enough to check something they'll go to the wiki and see the revised version. The new game patcher thing uses the exact same idea, although it remains to be seen if it'll really catch on.

The permanent things are video files and manga. In terms of videos, Touhou has a lot of fan videos, but instead of distributing files things tend to be hosted on youtube. Which introduces a lot of redundancy. There's no "official" version being promoted by youtube, there's just whatever your link or search led you to. So while there's some first-mover momentum, it's not impossible for the preferred version to change. I think you'd have to put a lot of effort into that though, by spreading links and whatnot.

As for manga, which is probably most relevant to me, it's definitely true that most sites just host the first version they get and leave it at that (and there are a million bazillion indistinguishable manga reader sites, wow). So I try to sit on it for a few days and consult someone else who knows Japanese. My "rough drafts" have a tendency to be leaked, but so far no one's actually put them anywhere especially public so it seems okay. I'm not too proud of my earlier work though, and those'll just sit there forever.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Clarste posted:

So I try to sit on it for a few days and consult someone else who knows Japanese.

Thank you for doing that.

For all I said, I can still appreciate someone enjoying a hobby and sharing their work with others. I hope you continue to improve and take difficult challenges as useful language syntax lessons.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Seemed to me to be less of a hurried translation, and more that the translator's ESL. I didn't really mind, I could figure it out pretty well meself, though that 'purple' line had me wondering.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Makes me glad no one else got to the Game Center Touhou video before I was able to get it out.

Too bad no one really watched it. :smith:

versus
Sep 11, 2001

:iw:

leather fedora posted:

Makes me glad no one else got to the Game Center Touhou video before I was able to get it out.

Too bad no one really watched it. :smith:

I wanna see that. Is this yours?

versus fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jun 11, 2013

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
Still the only subs up, so yes.

I really wish I could've authenticated my account so I wasn't limited to 15 minute videos. Part 2 doesn't even have a third of part 1's views, and I don't know what the deal is. Maybe people just don't like yukkuri voices.

versus
Sep 11, 2001

:iw:
Metal Slug really is everywhere.

e: for me, it was the computer voices. Goddamn.

versus fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 11, 2013

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

It doesn't really capture any of GCCX's charm. It mostly just "hey here's a WACKY touhou joke" and that's about it.

That and the pencil-thin necks really loving bug me.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Hokuto posted:

Edit: It's not my own video. That's unfortunate, oh well.

I combed through the first six and a half minutes just now before losing patience. Top entries are the Youtube captions, bottom entries are the more accurate translations. Seriously, this is basic amateur stuff.

Some of these at least at first glance I like the Youtube caption better, such as:

quote:

"Ah, of course not. I never said I didn't join you for a drink, did I?"
"Whoa, no, of course I wouldn't!"

It makes Aya sound like she's panicking a little better.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

CommissarMega posted:

Holy poo poo :stare: It seems that the original movie is called Hobo With A Shotgun, and is something I must track down immediately.

You hadn't seen it? It's one of the many fake movie trailers that came with Tarantino and Rodriguez's Grindhouse double-feature, that got made into an actual movie.

It's got many schlocky over the top scenes, like this one. It's great!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

leather fedora posted:

Maybe people just don't like yukkuri voices.

Sorry, man, I'm one of them V:shobon:V

DrSunshine posted:

You hadn't seen it? It's one of the many fake movie trailers that came with Tarantino and Rodriguez's Grindhouse double-feature, that got made into an actual movie.

It's got many schlocky over the top scenes, like this one. It's great!

Yeah, definitely tracking this one down :haw:

And something's just occured to me- since we're seeing the SDM Incident now, could there be hope for a Subterranean Animism vid in the future? Wanna see that Parsee fight so bad.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

CommissarMega posted:

And something's just occured to me- since we're seeing the SDM Incident now, could there be hope for a Subterranean Animism vid in the future? Wanna see that Parsee fight so bad.

Seconding this. Seeing the Yuugi, Satori, and Utsuho fights would be awesome.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

CommissarMega posted:

The song at the end of the previous episode was Koishi's theme Last Remote, so a SA episode seems likely.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Stop saying SA, it makes me think there is somehow a Something Awful/Touhou crossover.

Who am I kidding, it probably already exists.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

HellCopter posted:

Stop saying SA, it makes me think there is somehow a Something Awful/Touhou crossover.

DrSunshine, you know what you must do! :japan:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

HellCopter posted:

Judging by all the avatars, that would be this thread!

SirPhoebos posted:

DrSunshine, you know what you must do! :japan:

No that would be dumb. :colbert:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Who is the gooniest Touhou?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Takoluka posted:

Patchouli, of course! She stays in the mansion all day eating chips and getting fat, cooped up in that library.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Takoluka posted:

Totally Kaguya. I mean she stays home all the time, is lazy and if you add cheetos and mountain dew that's pretty goony.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

DrSunshine posted:

No that would be dumb. :colbert:

Draw Lowtax with a pretty hat. Problem solved :smugbert:

Takoluka posted:

Let's see: pretty high opinion of herself, junk food addict, won't get out of the house unless her job asks for it, hangs around with weirdos- yep, Reimu's the gooniest Touhou.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

My God. We love Touhou so much because touhous ARE US. :catstare:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Artificer posted:

My God. We love Touhou so much because touhous ARE US. :catstare:

Not until ZUN makes a Touhou who wears a fedora and has a sword of finest Hanzo steel.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
Hatate. The shut-in Touhou incarnation of http://lmgtfy.com/

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I don't suppose there's been any word on an OST release for Hopeless Masquerade? The other Tasofro fighting games got OSTs...

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
I imagine Summer Comiket or so.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Vote for you favorite touhou things again, if you run it through google translate it's mostly self-explanatory.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
That poll reminded me of a question I want to ask - Why exactly does Septette for the Dead Princess win the music polls so consistently? It's a nice song and all but I wouldn't even rate it in ZUN's top 5 of final boss music, let alone the entire series.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pureauthor posted:

That poll reminded me of a question I want to ask - Why exactly does Septette for the Dead Princess win the music polls so consistently? It's a nice song and all but I wouldn't even rate it in ZUN's top 5 of final boss music, let alone the entire series.

The entire EoSD cast are by far the most popular Touhous among the fandom, and by association the EoSD music is the most popular music in the series.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

MY NOSTALGIA
:goonsay:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Pureauthor posted:

Otaku love garbage for no reason. That, or they really love Beethoven Virus.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
The TFRest Touhou.

Which one would be the BYOBest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Pureauthor posted:

Supposedly it's a favorite among arrangers. Inertia probably plays a larger part at this point though.

Dinky Duck Race posted:

Vote for you favorite touhou things again, if you run it through google translate it's mostly self-explanatory.

Hahahaha, am I reading that last category right? Now people can vote for their favorite shipping as well?