Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Chroisman posted:

Have you found any issues with the durability of the dry bags? I was looking at getting the E-vent compression bags but some people said they tear easily.

No problems yet, with moderate use. I'm pretty easy on mine, but they seem tough enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
My brother-in-law is thru hiking the AT this year and started with 2 of the e-vent dry bags, one for his sleeping bag and one for his clothes, and they're both still going strong after 1000 miles

The e-vent fabric seems pretty tough as long as you're not expecting to be able to drag it along rocks or through bushes or something, but it should be inside your pack anyways. They also make a sil-nylon bag that I have several of and I believe those do tear more easily, but they're also quite lightweight and good for some water protection (though they're not water proof in submersion or anything)

Look for them on sale though cuz they're not the cheapest!

Business of Ferrets posted:

Just wanted to give a shout out to the Sea-to-Summit E-vent Drybag; great little piece of equipment! (I pack one with my down quilt and/or jacket, and another, larger one for the rest of my clothes. Works wonderfully.)

How do you like using a quilt? After looking around at sleeping bags and finding the good ones around 20 degrees and below run nearly $400, I found Enlightened Equipment, where I could get a 10 degree quilt, 850 fill and about 1.7 lbs (under 1.5 for a 20 degree), for like $235. I'm reallllllly tempted but have to convince my wife because she has it in her head that she wants us to be able to join sleeping bags together in case it gets really cold. I find I've never had to do that but I guess she had to do it a couple of times with her brother on the start of the AT.

But man, that's a good price for a lightweight sleeping arrangement and I tend to be a person who switches positions at night a lot and I sleep on my side a fair amount, and they're supposed to be good for that

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Levitate posted:

How do you like using a quilt? After looking around at sleeping bags and finding the good ones around 20 degrees and below run nearly $400, I found Enlightened Equipment, where I could get a 10 degree quilt, 850 fill and about 1.7 lbs (under 1.5 for a 20 degree), for like $235. I'm reallllllly tempted but have to convince my wife because she has it in her head that she wants us to be able to join sleeping bags together in case it gets really cold. I find I've never had to do that but I guess she had to do it a couple of times with her brother on the start of the AT.

But man, that's a good price for a lightweight sleeping arrangement and I tend to be a person who switches positions at night a lot and I sleep on my side a fair amount, and they're supposed to be good for that

Just in the last year or so I started using a quilt, and I've been (literally) a very happy camper. It sounds like you and I have very similar sleep patterns; the added freedom and flexibility of the quilt accommodates movement and side sleeping well. I have a 20 degree Relevation X from Enlightened Equipment, which is just as light as you described. The build and down quality is absolutely first rate, and I still haven't noticed the imperfections supposedly present in the fabric (the X models use cosmetic seconds for the shells). Tim, the owner, has a well-deserved reputation for putting customer service first (he personally confirmed my order via email) and his quilts are built in the homes of him and his neighbors in Winona, Minnesota, making it a true cottage industry. You could say I'm a satisfied customer.

The key to quilt sleeping is to have a sleeping pad you don't mind sleeping directly upon. Some people don't like the feel of the pad on their body, face, etc. I have no complaints. Mine is a 3-season quilt; I wouldn't want to use one winter camping, where one can benefit from the more closed system of a traditional bag. But any other time of the year, it's great. It packs super light and small, and although I'm hardly an ultra lighter, I still appreciate it. Overall, I'm glad I made the switch from bag to quilt. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

About how low a temp are you comfortable in with it? I don't do winter camping either, but late summer/early fall in high mountains can get below freezing and into the 20's. just wondering if I did get one, what rating I'd go for. And yeah I've read great things about the owner, seems like a cool guy

If it were up to me I'd get one for sure but this turns out to be one of the quirks of being married...

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Levitate posted:

About how low a temp are you comfortable in with it? I don't do winter camping either, but late summer/early fall in high mountains can get below freezing and into the 20's. just wondering if I did get one, what rating I'd go for. And yeah I've read great things about the owner, seems like a cool guy

If it were up to me I'd get one for sure but this turns out to be one of the quirks of being married...

Haven't used it below freezing yet, but I would probably try it down to 20 or so, and just wear more clothes if I felt cold. Keep in mind that quilts don't have hoods, so you would need a warm hat or balaclava, depending on the temperature. I'm a warm sleeper, though, so my problem almost always is the opposite, and the ability to just sleep under the quilt as a . . . quilt is really nice.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Awesome, thanks. One last question...what width did you get and how does that work? I'm a pretty thin 6' 170, but with pretty wide shoulders for my size, but I kind of doubt I'd need a wide size.

everyone else, sorry for the gearchat, just a little excited to find someone with direct experience with a product I'm interested in

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Levitate posted:

Awesome, thanks. One last question...what width did you get and how does that work? I'm a pretty thin 6' 170, but with pretty wide shoulders for my size, but I kind of doubt I'd need a wide size.

everyone else, sorry for the gearchat, just a little excited to find someone with direct experience with a product I'm interested in

I think mine's a wide (can wrap around me with room to spare), but if you decide you're going to get one and you have questions about the sizing, just email Tim or post on the company's Facebook page. He fields questions like that all the time, and knows his quilts literally inside and out!

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
Just got an internship working in forest regeneration. Gonna need new hiking boots, as the tread is wearing out on my current pair. I want something pretty light and breathable, but that won't kill my feet if I have to stomp on a shovel. Can anybody recommend me a pair?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

TopherCStone posted:

Just got an internship working in forest regeneration. Gonna need new hiking boots, as the tread is wearing out on my current pair. I want something pretty light and breathable, but that won't kill my feet if I have to stomp on a shovel. Can anybody recommend me a pair?

That's really broad. Go to a store and try some brands on - is your foot wide or narrow or high volume or what? I recommend leather, mid-height.

Depending on the nature of the terrain & job, goretex may be necessary (swampy & need to work in the rain).

megazord
Jul 16, 2001

TopherCStone posted:

Vibram FiveFingers :rolleyes:

Merrell ventilator type. I think they all have a rigid shank, so stomp on a shovel with them if you'd like.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My friend and I just booked our flights for Rocky Mountain for early August.

The last time I was there was mid may of last year it was 90º at Denver International and 80º on the trail. The next morning we woke up to several inches of snow.

We booked in August hoping that we would be able to get further up into the continental divide than before. Days are going to be pretty hot, nights should be pretty tolerable for sleeping. Hopefully I should be able to lose some weight by not having to bring all the clothes I needed in an early season.

It will also be nice because I have a new gravity filter which means no more sitting around a pot of boiling water, instead I can wander around a lake or work on cooking food.

Cybor Tap
Jul 13, 2001

Every Summer I work for a company that takes teenagers on outdoor adventure trips. I spent the last two Summers on the Big Island of Hawaii and had the opportunity to hike the Muliwai trail 4 times. Its really phenomenal.

This year I've been assigned to Colorado, and my back pack is going to be the Little Cimarron Trail in Gunnison, Southwest of Crested Butte. I've never hiked in CO, though I've camped and climbed some.

Is anyone familiar with this trail or the area? I want to be as ready for it as I can. From what I've googled, its pretty scenic.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

To follow up with Colorado chat, I had been debating on whether or not this is the thread for this, but I'd really like your guys opinions. I'm absolutely sick of the area I'm living in. Grew up here, lived in some other places for a while, and ended up back here. I live in hot and humid suburbia, and would really like to live somewhere with some more interesting climate with plenty of places to hike. Colorado seems like a great place for backpacking. Anyone have any opinions on living and backpacking there? Just tell me to shut up if it is too far off topic.

snappo
Jun 18, 2006
Denver is a pretty amazing springboard for backpacking and general outdoorsy poo poo. There are a dozen or so day hikes within 30 minutes of downtown, and tons more in Boulder. Within a 2 hour radius, you have some world class backpacking in the Indian Peaks, RMNP, Lost Creek Wilderness, CDT, etc. The further you're willing to drive, the more amazing options open up. Colorado has it pretty good when it comes to quantity and variety of wilderness adventures.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Or, if you don't need the city, I used to live in the shithole that is Greeley. It's not a great town but it was cheap as hell, and a nice springboard for adventure too. It's out on the plains, so it's definitely a different living experience than something like Boulder or Denver, but it's like an hour drive to RMNP, and you can watch the weather come off Long's Peak every afternoon.

If I had to do it again, I'd live in Ft Collins. It's got a great university town feel with far less new age baggage than Boulder.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Golden has been nice to me. If you don't mind not having nightlife.

It's the last place along I70 before things start getting steep. And now it's got a lightrail that runs downtown.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

TopherCStone posted:

If you're gonna be working in a wet or damp environment I'd suggest considering the Danner Mt. Defiance GTX or the Vasque Bitterroot GTX. Maybe not as light as you'd like, but they'll stand up to trail/forestry work.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks for the Colorado backpacking info, Goons. Going to be a year or so before I can move, but I was looking at places between Boulder and Ft. Collins. Glad to hear I'm not too far off the mark. Hopefully going to travel out there soon to scope it out and get some backpacking in. :)

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Speleothing posted:

That's really broad. Go to a store and try some brands on - is your foot wide or narrow or high volume or what? I recommend leather, mid-height.

Depending on the nature of the terrain & job, goretex may be necessary (swampy & need to work in the rain).
Went to the only really local store today, they dont keep much in stock because they're a small outfit. There's a proper outdoors/camping store about 40 minutes away, so I'll probably make a trip this weekend if I can get time away.

My foot is wide (surprise, that store doesn't keep wide shoes in stock). Terrain isn't swampy (Northern NJ) but I may be out in the rain a bit.
Someone recommended these to me: http://www.theunionbootpro.com/products/dsp_productDetail.cfm?pSKU=158&w=
but he'd never used them for hiking, just as a safety thing
I like that their site has a measurement guide, lots of shoe companies don't

megazord posted:

Vibram FiveFingers :rolleyes:

Merrell ventilator type. I think they all have a rigid shank, so stomp on a shovel with them if you'd like.
Five Fingers are one of the few things that store has a huge stock of!
I will see if I can try out a pair of the Merrells

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Your dog is super cute and I'm glad the trip went really well, but I hafta be a debbie downer here and point out that there are other reasons people advise against bringing dogs on deep-country hikes.
Dog pee/poo messes with local animals because of the smell. Many prey animals won't go near the trail as a result, and it might cut them off from their normal route to water, food, offspring, etc.
Dogs can be unpredictable when you encounter a dangerous animal - what if your dog had been barking at a bear cub (with mom nearby) and not a rat snake?

edit: I googled after posting this, and it looks like dogs are explicitly allowed on most of the AT. I guess that trail is heavily travelled enough that dogs won't do much extra damage. Glad you had a good doggy hike :)

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Yah we checked about making sure we could take her along with us, and she was on leash 90% of the time (we let her off around the shelter after seeing if the other people were OK with it, but was on leash on the trail). Good point about the pet waste though, I'll be more careful about that in the future.

I don't think I'd really want to take her on actual deep backcountry hikes, but to be honest the AT is very close to civilization a lot of the time (especially around this area)

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

I don't have PMs, so I cant message the DC goon in the OP. Any recommendations for places to hike/backpack in the DC area, preferably accessible by some mixture of public transport? I just moved here and would love to get out of the city for a weekend.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Econosaurus posted:

I don't have PMs, so I cant message the DC goon in the OP. Any recommendations for places to hike/backpack in the DC area, preferably accessible by some mixture of public transport? I just moved here and would love to get out of the city for a weekend.
Unfortunately I don't think there is really anything accessible by public transport. There are a number of hiking groups that may organize carpools, though.

By car there are various of options: you can do short hikes at Sugarloaf or Catoctin Mountain, and there are tons of hikes around Shenandoah National Park but it's around 2.5 hours away. The Appalachian Trail is also pretty close so there are several options on that, although it might prove logistically difficult with only one car.

The closest thing is the Billygoat Trail around Carderock (out along the C&O canal from Georgetown), which is not bad, but I don't know if it would meet your definition of hiking since it doesn't really go up or anything (one part involves going over a bunch of boulders though). It's still not easily accessible without a car, though.

Edit: Oh this is the hiking thread. You might also want to post in the DC LAN thread. There is some sort of goon hiking facebook group that was recently organized.

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 12, 2013

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

alnilam posted:

but I hafta be a debbie downer here and point out that there are other reasons people advise against bringing dogs on deep-country hikes.
Dog pee/poo messes with local animals because of the smell. Many prey animals won't go near the trail as a result, and it might cut them off from their normal route to water, food, offspring, etc.
Dogs can be unpredictable when you encounter a dangerous animal - what if your dog had been barking at a bear cub (with mom nearby) and not a rat snake?

You're not being a debbie-downer. These are legitimate concerns that a lot of pet owners never consider when they drag their pets up a trail.

edit: :can:

krispykremessuck fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 12, 2013

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

Econosaurus posted:

You can get to the AT by taking MARC to Harpers Ferry. Weekdays only, though, so you'd have to head out on Friday night and get up really early on Monday morning (or just take a day off).

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

On a lot of the overnight trails here, dogs are banned because of the large fauna we have. There's been serious trouble with people bringing a dog into grizzly, wolf, cougar, elk, or moose territory. They tend to go into instant aggression mode, since a dog isn't any different than another wolf to them.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

I'm getting through my shopping and packing to send off my resupplies to spots along the JMT. Even packing very dense calorically waterless items (especially candy and nutella, no stupid dehydrated backpacking meals but couscous and knorr sides) I have no idea how i'll get enough energy per day fitting 7 days in a my BV500. Any advice?

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

When you pack stuff into the BV500, poke holes in packaging and let the air out, then put a piece of scotch tape over the hole.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

If you end up with overflow, just sleep with it.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

BeefofAges posted:

When you pack stuff into the BV500, poke holes in packaging and let the air out, then put a piece of scotch tape over the hole.

I'm pretty sure I've got the air out of everything but I will put everything in ziplocs vacuum sealed if I notice anything else.

Is there a magic number that leaves you able to climb at a comfortable pace but not get bogged down with food?
I'm sure it's very personal to each hiker but there's no way I could humanly pack what I'm going to burn off especially our last planned section, 7 days including climbing Mt Whitney at the end on the final day. Hopefully warm meals can be had on the first and 7th days if all goes well.
I've got 14000 calories (at least 2000 calories per day) in a 2 gallon bag here:

it should fit in my bear can with no problem, but 2000 a day is below my maintainence calories at home, forget while I'm hiking. (I'm a girl) I've burned 4-5000 on some day hikes. Is it just a given you will be hungry? This still seems like a ton of food right now, but I'm sure I'll just be hungry whenever I am not moving my feet out there.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Don't forget that your first day's worth of food doesn't have to fit in the bear can.

This might help too: http://andrewskurka.com/2012/food-planning-for-multi-day-hikes-and-thru-hikes/

And this: http://andrewskurka.com/2010/the-5000-calories-per-day-wilderness-diet/

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

BeefofAges posted:

Don't forget that your first day's worth of food doesn't have to fit in the bear can.

This might help too: http://andrewskurka.com/2012/food-planning-for-multi-day-hikes-and-thru-hikes/

And this: http://andrewskurka.com/2010/the-5000-calories-per-day-wilderness-diet/

That is a good point, I'm not so worried about space now. I think I should probably aim for 2500 calories a day, so I'll throw some extra supplies maybe salami and toffee peanuts in there soon. I'm thinking a block of gouda will be with me to start the trail as well.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Book on edible plants?

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Any extra space you have would try to fill with granola and dried fruit. Really calorie dense, usually. Maybe some powdered protein drinks, as well.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Marshmallow Mayhem posted:

I'm pretty sure I've got the air out of everything but I will put everything in ziplocs vacuum sealed if I notice anything else.

Is there a magic number that leaves you able to climb at a comfortable pace but not get bogged down with food? [snip] Is it just a given you will be hungry?

...7 days including climbing Mt Whitney at the end on the final day. Hopefully warm meals can be had on the first and 7th days if all goes well.

I've got 14000 calories (at least 2000 calories per day) in a 2 gallon bag here:

Is there a reason you packed it all in one big ziplock? I tend to pack food by meal in single, smaller ziplocks. That way it's easy to know what meal you have in your hand, and you can pack your can in layers by meal/day. I also bring tortillas, so those just all go in one or two large bags around the edge of the can.

I aim for 2500 calories per day, and I'd say most of that is in small trail snacks. I lose my appetite while hiking, so bringing tasty snacks as "filler" in between forcing myself to eat meals is ideal. I see a few tasty snacks in your bag already. There isn't really a magic number, it's all based on you. In general though, I expect to lose weight on extended trips; I always bring too much food so that I can eat whatever sounds good, rather than eating meals by a schedule; I always have left over food at the end of a trip; you can trade tasty food with people on the trail.

Have you done Whitney before? What route are you taking to Whitney? Depending on your route, the summit can be a very long day, especially after taking 6 days to get there. If you can, you might want to squeeze in a night spent part way down the mountain, like outpost camp, and hike out the final few miles the next morning. Just some friendly unsolicited advice from someone who attempted it last year :)

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Are fixed or folding knives generally preferred for multiday hikes?

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Reformed Tomboy posted:

Is there a reason you packed it all in one big ziplock? I tend to pack food by meal in single, smaller ziplocks. That way it's easy to know what meal you have in your hand, and you can pack your can in layers by meal/day. I also bring tortillas, so those just all go in one or two large bags around the edge of the can.

I aim for 2500 calories per day, and I'd say most of that is in small trail snacks. I lose my appetite while hiking, so bringing tasty snacks as "filler" in between forcing myself to eat meals is ideal. I see a few tasty snacks in your bag already. There isn't really a magic number, it's all based on you. In general though, I expect to lose weight on extended trips; I always bring too much food so that I can eat whatever sounds good, rather than eating meals by a schedule; I always have left over food at the end of a trip; you can trade tasty food with people on the trail.

Have you done Whitney before? What route are you taking to Whitney? Depending on your route, the summit can be a very long day, especially after taking 6 days to get there. If you can, you might want to squeeze in a night spent part way down the mountain, like outpost camp, and hike out the final few miles the next morning. Just some friendly unsolicited advice from someone who attempted it last year :)

Oh it's just all in the bag for organizational purposes right now, I'll organize it by layers of days when I arrange it all in my bear can after resupply. We're going to ship these buckets of food to the resupply points soon. I've got snickers, beef sticks, white chocolate, protein bars, trail mix with peanut m&ms, sour gummies in there, not to mention almond/peanut butters and tortillas and ramen and couscous. I definitely tend toward the snacking style too, I feel lethargic and nauseous if I try to hike 'full'. I won't lie I'm looking forward to shedding a few pounds on the trail, but I do not want my performance to suffer and to be lagging on the passes - we don't really have any zero days planned.

We're taking the JMT South, Yosemite to Whitney. I did Whitney last summer in a dayhike from the Portal at 3 am, I reckon starting from guitar lake will be easier. When we're heading down and out after over 2 weeks on the trail I'm sure we won't want to stop and camp - eyes on the prize (burger and fries at the Portal store)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I take it the opinion on bear cans is pretty strong, but the rangers in Yellowstone told me they don't believe in bear cans at all and say to always hang your pack. There's no consensus on this at all, right?

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

Are fixed or folding knives generally preferred for multiday hikes?

Whatever's tiniest and lightest. You don't really need a knife for much. I carry a Leatherman Style CS and I'm pretty happy with it.

mastershakeman posted:

I take it the opinion on bear cans is pretty strong, but the rangers in Yellowstone told me they don't believe in bear cans at all and say to always hang your pack. There's no consensus on this at all, right?

The bears in the Sierras are very used to humans and will climb trees to get food. Bear cans are the only thing that work. It might be different in other parks. On the AT I carried an Ursack and I was pretty happy with it, but no bears ever attempted to get into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

mastershakeman posted:

That's pretty weird since I've read in places like the Sierra's, bears have started learning they can't even get into the bear cans and won't even try anymore if they see one. Hanging a bear bag on the other hand can be easily figured out by bears who have even learned how to send their cubs up trees to knock them down.

Maybe there's multiple sides in this but I'd at least be interested in why they don't believe in bear cans. Only thing I can think of is in Yellowstone, you have a lot of large grizzlies and it might be harder for them to get to hung bags, and you also have a lot of tall trees, making it easier to hang a bag. In other places, once you get above the tree line it can be pretty hard to find a place to hang a bag effectively