Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
C, but that stuff about whales was disturbing. We'll have to think about this, later, when we have time alone and things aren't all changing so fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Gods, demons, priests, whales, angels WHO GIVES A gently caress

I JUST MADE A NEW FRIEND HE'S PRETTY COOL AND GAVE ME A DOG

gently caress THIS I WANNA GO ON ADVENTURE

C

My post is an accurate summary of what a kid would be thinking.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
C

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Canuck-Errant posted:

C, but that stuff about whales was disturbing. We'll have to think about this, later, when we have time alone and things aren't all changing so fast.

Following along with this sentiment.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

I'll go with theglavwen's version of E.

spacetimecontinuu
Dec 31, 2004
b for bmighty bmen

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

C
We better go on a crazy adventure with Danal before we get to Zepath and slam dunk it too, cause if we're slated to be fishers by the time we get there, no more adventures for Enkidel. We must impress the king with our (fledgling) adventuring skills!

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
C. We're adventurers at heart.

"Does the king sometimes speak to you without actually speaking?"

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Theglavwen posted:

E: No, but just no. Don't elaborate, seem sort of disturbed. This dude just said that the people of his city fish up and eat whales!

Voting this, but removed Asherah part.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Also theglavwen's version of E, and.... "I want to go on adventures... but Asherah's going to be really angry with you if he finds out you've eaten whales."

Two questions for our new old friend:

"What did it feel like when you killed someone the first time? Was it right?"

and ask him a riddle to see if he really is wise:

Q: "If Asherah has three fish, and you take one fish, and a crab takes one fish, and a whale takes one fish, what does Asherah eat?"

A:"Three fish, a crab, a whale and you! Asherah eats everything, hah!"

If someone scolds us state that it's true, and anyway we're many many distances from the ocean it's not like he's going to swim up through the dirt. Then look nervously at the dirt.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 11, 2013

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

quote:

"He says in the sea, but that the city is miles inland. He says there is good eating on one and that they have been caught, but very rarely and more when he was young."
:stonk:

Voting:

Canuck-Errant posted:

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
You're all going to look silly when Asherah is a facet of mother earth and El is the industrial Monsanto god.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Theglavwen posted:

E: No, but just no. Don't elaborate, seem sort of disturbed. This dude just said that the people of his city fish up and eat whales! The children of Asherah, gods. Their fishermen are blasphemers, or dangerous lunatics, surely they must die often, and messily, eaten by Asherah's wrath. When we return to the sea, we don't want to do as an infidel, and invite Asherah to reclaim us in anger.

I agree with this. Taking Asherah out of it sucks. This is what people were annoyed about before. This isn't an action that the others will even react to, it's literally just a way to feel. There isn't even a reason to object to eating whales if we aren't concerned about their divinity. I'm disappointed that the anti asherah sentiment is coming up in something this loving innocuous.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

E "I want to help people and protect them!"

Og has consistently put the welfare of others ahead of his, might as well ask for a job that let's him continue to do so.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

andrew smash posted:

I agree with this. Taking Asherah out of it sucks. This is what people were annoyed about before. This isn't an action that the others will even react to, it's literally just a way to feel. There isn't even a reason to object to eating whales if we aren't concerned about their divinity. I'm disappointed that the anti asherah sentiment is coming up in something this loving innocuous.

Yes, I agree also. There's no reason to automatically push Ashera out of our hearts, especially after being raised with him out entire lives.

Random Idiot
Mar 15, 2001

Theglavwen posted:

E: No, but just no. Don't elaborate, seem sort of disturbed.

This guy knows what's up, voting E

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

dog kisser posted:

Yes, I agree also. There's no reason to automatically push Ashera out of our hearts, especially after being raised with him out entire lives.

Agreeing with this thought, but keeping my vote because becoming a strong hero will help us protect the whales :black101:

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007

Theglavwen posted:

E: No, but just no. Don't elaborate, seem sort of disturbed. This dude just said that the people of his city fish up and eat whales! The children of Asherah, gods. Their fishermen are blasphemers, or dangerous lunatics, surely they must die often, and messily, eaten by Asherah's wrath. When we return to the sea, we don't want to do so as an infidel, and invite Asherah to reclaim us in anger.

Yep, voting this.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

A On the water, with the tooth, among whale-killers....I like the potential here.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
Voting for the republ.. i mean Theglav's E

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Diogines posted:

"He says the one where he and Enkidu go to the Cedar Forest." Your mother gives him a dirty look. You don't know that story.

Did you really know Enkidu? Can you tell me the story?

Voting C. No! You want to go adventure with Danal! because being a fisherman reminds me of the village and all the bad stuff that happened there and I really think eating whales is weird and gross.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
vote E. Say "I will do as El sees me fit to do. I am strong as a tree, but what of a log cast adrift upon the ocean? What do you think El would have of me?"

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

andrew smash posted:

I do agree, and would encourage even those who are adamantly anti-Asherah to view it less as a pro-Asherah-pleasing move, and more of a legitimate concern from someone who believes Asherah exists, and doesn't want a hungry sea-deity mad at him. Regardless of whether or not we want Og to be pro-Asherah worship, it's at least sensible that he would at some point like to be around the sea again, since he loves it, and would presumably not want to be around the sea as someone Asherah would view as a blasphemous god-killer.

We could always ask Old-guy whether or not the fishermen in his society are insane, and how many Asherah eats per year or something, but I figured keeping quiet made more sense, as, by voting outcomes so far, we don't seem inclined to speak up about our Asherah beliefs too much amongst these new folk.

Outrail posted:

Q: "If Asherah has three fish, and you take one fish, and a crab takes one fish, and a whale takes one fish, what does Asherah eat?"

If someone scolds us state that it's true, and anyway we're many many distances from the ocean it's not like he's going to swim up through the dirt. Then look nervously at the dirt.

Also: Hah!

Theglavwen fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 11, 2013

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Theglavwen posted:

since he loves it

My view of it right now is that the whole thing was pretty traumatic, especially leaving the village... so for now (now, at least, who knows about later) the best thing to do is stick with the stuff that makes you feel good and doesn't make you have flashbacks to that or worry about stuff.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

tarepanda posted:

Did you really know Enkidu? Can you tell me the story?

Voting C. No! You want to go adventure with Danal! because being a fisherman reminds me of the village and all the bad stuff that happened there and I really think eating whales is weird and gross.

"He says no Sweetling, he does not. He meant the story when Labaras and Enkidu went to the Forest of Cedars, though he has been there as well. He says you will hear the story when you are older, for now you are a child and should enjoy life and not let your mind be troubled by weighty matters which are the concerns of old men like himself." Barkof says something, more laughter from the others. Ishamal says something else and your mother interprets. "He says alright, not old men like himself, but it is a worry for adults."

quote:

What did it feel like when you killed someone the first time? Was it right?
"Sweetling!" your mother says with the tone of a gentle rebuke "thats not nice to ask."

quote:

Please weigh in if you want to ask this or not.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

tarepanda posted:

My view of it right now is that the whole thing was pretty traumatic, especially leaving the village... so for now (now, at least, who knows about later) the best thing to do is stick with the stuff that makes you feel good and doesn't make you have flashbacks to that or worry about stuff.

Which seems pretty fair to me. I personally think it would be on his mind and strongly enough engrained in his behaviour that it's the sort of thing that would come to mind first and foremost, but perhaps Og has enough control, consciously or unconsciously, to avoid those topics and focus on fun stuff.

Still, the events that occured, traumatic though they certainly were, I don't think would be enough to make him want to, or be able to, forget his entire upbringing and life before his 'escape', even if he'd like to forget the whole lightning/slaughter-fest itself.

Diogenes posted:

Aw, Nah, I guess. I like the joke, but so far we seem pretty tentative about throwing around Asherah references left and right, and would probably be a bit uncertain about whether or not joking around about it, in this company, would be appropriate.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
E. We want to adventure and fish with Danal on the sea! High seas bro adventures!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
YES ASK THE JOKE ITS JUST A JOKE WE COULD REASONABLY HAVE HEARD

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Ask the joke, but right after jump on Ishamal and start biting his neck. Ok, just kidding. Don't ask the joke. Let's keep our true faith to Asherah secret from these guys.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

It's an awesome joke, but probably not a good idea, what with their "El is the one true God and your little fish is nothing but a fish" But do consider it, and giggle to yourself. Maybe tell the joke to Danal later!

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 11, 2013

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
B&C What's the point of being a mighty man if you don't go on adventures?

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Absolutely No to any direct referencing to Asherah. Revealing that we so much as think about Asherah to anyone, whether true or not, is a very bad idea. If we decide later to become a prophet for Asherah, we have to keep anything related to that a careful secret, at least until we start trying to find a way to convert people, whatever that hypothetical plan would be.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Question for grandpa:

"Do people ever fight in your village? Like fight with with spears, not arguing. Our rescue is the first fight we ever saw, and the first time seeing a man die and a man be killed. It was to save us, but it was scary."

Deadly Ham Sandwich fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 11, 2013

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Diogines posted:

Nah. If we want to be anything more than foul demon whale-hunting fisherman in this society, it is probably best not to say the joke.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
NO do not ask the Joke.

C - Adventure with Danal!

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
Question for the old guy:

Who makes all the rules? The king, or the village as a whole?

What happens to those who break the rules?

Also, No to the joke but agreed on those stating the anti-Asherah people need to lighten up - just the mere mention of Asherah as an option gets neutered to oblivion which is ridiculous.

Althair
Jul 26, 2006
words are weapons
I've moved fully into the El camp but I don't see why we should avoid talking about Asherah. The Devouring Fish has been kind of an important element of our life so far! I'd like to ask

"In what way may we know who is good to worship? The people of our village say one thing. The people of your great village say another. Please help us to understand, O King."

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Diogines posted:

Ask. It's totally the kind of joke/riddle a kid would be proud of knowing and want to brag about to show how clever he is.

Theglavwen posted:

Which seems pretty fair to me. I personally think it would be on his mind and strongly enough engrained in his behaviour that it's the sort of thing that would come to mind first and foremost, but perhaps Og has enough control, consciously or unconsciously, to avoid those topics and focus on fun stuff.

Still, the events that occured, traumatic though they certainly were, I don't think would be enough to make him want to, or be able to, forget his entire upbringing and life before his 'escape', even if he'd like to forget the whole lightning/slaughter-fest itself.

I'm not saying that we'd want to make him forget or that he has the control to avoid that stuff, but I do think it's a common response in most people -- especially in kids -- to avoid thinking about things that are critical and induce massive amounts of stress/worry/trauma. Also, we may be a bit susceptible to Stockholm Syndrome at this point.

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Absolutely No to any direct referencing to Asherah. Revealing that we so much as think about Asherah to anyone, whether true or not, is a very bad idea. If we decide later to become a prophet for Asherah, we have to keep anything related to that a careful secret, at least until we start trying to find a way to convert people, whatever that hypothetical plan would be.

The way I'm looking at it is that we're role-playing here. Og (or whatever you want to call him, at this point) is a kid. I don't know any kids thinking that far ahead other than "yeah, I wanna go to space someday" or "I wanna be a mo'fuckin' dinosaur" or some kind of daydream like that. I'm fine with metagaming, but making Og choose things and then justifying them with our adult-rationalized decisions is kind of weird to me. I'm not saying I think your reasoning is dumb or anything -- I totally get it and think it would be an interesting story -- but I don't think it makes a whole lot of sense unless we have a split personality or a very old soul telling us what to do or something like that. We've had a sheltered, monotheistic life -- would we really know about converting people or prosecution/lynching or any of those kinds of political maneuvers? I don't think so.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Diogines posted:

Don't say anything Asherah related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
1: Other. Something like "No matter what I do it'll be an adventure"
2: Ask the question! To your mom. In your native tongue. And get ready to get hit.